• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

If you're still here, I can play you in about an hour from now

Just woke up xD
I'd prefer around now because it's 1:20 am..
Same! EF is so slow that I wonder if Auto-Reticle might be the better choice, but the unblockable last hit can be useflu. Gonna have to play around a bit more, though.

And I agree about Jump Glide: it's good for mixups, but I prefer the safety of knowing that Warp will get me back up to the ledge over the risk of falling short with JG.
I think for some heavy projectile matchups I might prefer Auto-Reticle...

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I'd prefer around now because it's 1:20 am..

I think for some heavy projectile matchups I might prefer Auto-Reticle...

Oh sorry, had to take care of family routines :p in five minutes if you're not already sleeping though?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
GG dq! At least I stole one stock :) games ended 0-5 in his favour, good fun though!

Cronox

Banned
Oh thanks! Picked him up this weekend and basing it on cronox experience

And yeah that punch phewww

Bow(ser) down before your senpai! Glad you're liking him. It does seem like Dash Slash is necessary in the customs meta though, get that and try it out if you haven't yet.

Edit: is anyone around to play a bit? Custom Bowser experience is hard to come by in For Glory...

I play Mega Man, Sheik and Ike sometimes too.
I'm surprised you didn't bring out Sheik then, unless you are more comfortable with Villager. I felt you should have been spamming more with him :<. Because everytime I play Villager I always feel like I'm suffocated with projectiles.. Seems the key to his success is suffocating the opponent, but I don't play him much so I'm not 100 percent sure.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Are "For Glory stages" as per ranbat rules basically omega mode of all stages + final destination?

I'm surprised you didn't bring out Sheik then, unless you are more comfortable with Villager. I felt you should have been spamming more with him :<. Because everytime I play Villager I always feel like I'm suffocated with projectiles..

I'm all about that wood chopping

I should probably import my custom Villager from the 3DS version btw. I can't be arsed to unlock all the custom moves again :(

Cronox

Banned
Ok this sucks. If I commit to playing custom Bowser I can't switch back and forth between custom and standard, Bowser with dash slash is a completely different playstyle and approach. But at the usual times when I play GAF is asleep and so is Anthers, leaving me with FG. This would be so much easier if I lived on the east coast...

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Ready now, Phantom Flapjack. NNID: Roboleon

GLHF!

Bracket 5, nice job playing catchup on ranbat matches. FSLink is FSLagging behind, though.

Are "For Glory stages" as per ranbat rules basically omega mode of all stages + final destination?

I'm all about that wood chopping

I should probably import my custom Villager from the 3DS version btw. I can't be arsed to unlock all the custom moves again :(
Put Smash Tour on and AFK for 30 minutes. You will get most of the customs without doing anything.

Yes, For Glory = all Omegas.

Bow(ser) down before your senpai! Glad you're liking him. It does seem like Dash Slash is necessary in the customs meta though, get that and try it out if you haven't yet.

Edit: is anyone around to play a bit? Custom Bowser experience is hard to come by in For Glory...
Speaking of Bowser puns, I redid my taunts last night.

Up taunt: GODLIKE
Left taunt: FEED ME
Right taunt: SO TASTY
Down taunt: LOLZ

Ok this sucks. If I commit to playing custom Bowser I can't switch back and forth between custom and standard, Bowser with dash slash is a completely different playstyle and approach. But at the usual times when I play GAF is asleep and so is Anthers, leaving me with FG. This would be so much easier if I lived on the east coast...
Yeah, I won't play without customs on anymore. It's just too hard to brain switch. I end up jumping and using side B from halfway across the screen.

Me over Roboleon 5-1. Stupid Wii Fit Trainer and her terrible vertical recovery on that one custom. Good games! The connection was better than I thought it would be.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Me over Roboleon 5-1. Stupid Wii Fit Trainer and her terrible vertical recovery on that one custom. Good games! The connection was better than I thought it would be.

Good games, Flapjack! took my first set in the tournament vs the Wii Fit Trainer! I have great internet and wired connection, so that probably helps when playing you Americans.

Overall five losses, but what are you gonna do? It was great playing all of you skilled players

I've also completed all my ranbat matches now! First in my bracket, who would have thought :p I noticed you are done with yours as well, Flapjack. I also signed up for next season, just because of how fun it was playing some Smash again the last couple of days

edit: I filled out the spreadsheet for our match as well

Good games, Flapjack! took my first set in the tournament vs the Wii Fit Trainer!

Overall five losses, but what are you gonna do? It was great playing some of you skilled players

I've also completed all my ranbat matches now! First in my bracket, who would have thought :p
Re: the strength of your bracket: Bracket 5 is all the new people that signed up, because I didn't have a way to gauge their strength. I will try to disperse everyone appropriately for next season now that I have some data.

Re: EU brackets: this is difficult, because it means you would just have 5-6 people of varying skill levels always playing each other every season. There couldn't be any progress between brackets because there aren't many players.

Boney

Banned

I probably should invest on it, seeing I don't use klaw all that much, but I like having the option of the command grab, especially for air to ground mix ups.
I wish it didn't cancel on the ground, the move would be god like if not.

FSLink

Banned
Didn't get a chance to reply earlier but I have to agree with Sixfortyfive on the Suicide Clause, Karst.

Just because Flying Slam is badly programmed to be garbage doesn't mean we should artificially buff it through extra rules.

Didn't get a chance to reply earlier but I have to agree with Sixfortyfive on the Suicide Clause, Karst.

Just because Flying Slam is badly programmed to be garbage doesn't mean we should artificially buff it through extra rules.
Do you intend to finish your remaining ranbat matches?

Again, what is the difference between this rule, and letting people go to 300% SD on a time out? Sometimes we just have to disagree with the game.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
You can make a sensible argument that someone is in the lead at time-over.

You can't make a sensible argument that Bowser wins in a situation that the game only allows him to lose or tie.

FSLink

Banned
Do you intend to finish your remaining ranbat matches?

Again, what is the difference between this rule, and letting people go to 300% SD on a time out? Sometimes we just have to disagree with the game.

I do, it's rough since I just moved into my new place and I'm on 4G, but I may have to play on that or wait until Friday where I should have internet. But it'll be complete.

I don't think that's as comparable. Sudden Death not being allowed should be pretty obvious (it effectively changes the outcome of the match to a mini-game with how random it is). Bowsercide always causes Bowser to lose or get Sudden Death in this game, he does not get a win. It's bugged, yes, but it's consistent in the game that Bowser does not get the win.

Also in the one instance where a suicide move always results in a win = Ganondorf, the game is clearly designed with this in mind. Trying to do Ganondorf's sideB near a ledge can result in his SD, whereas most other similar moves do not throw the user off the ledge.

You can make a sensible argument that someone is in the lead at time-over.

You can't make a sensible argument that Bowser wins in a situation that the game only allows him to lose or tie.
Bowser is landing a kill move on the argument, just like Ganondorf and Dedede. There's no reason one move should be treated differently from the others. Bowser can't even force you off the edge unless he has a 40% or more lead, and even then he only has 10% more control than you. He needs an 80%+ lead to gain significant control.

Besides, to quote a previous post of yours, the game tests your ability to KO people off ledges, not build %. Bowser is almost always behind in % in matches, but that doesn't mean he's losing. Hell, when Bowser gets to high %, it just means he's on a new level of terrifying if he gets the right read. I don't feel behind at all when at high % unless my opponent is at a very low %. Certainly, if I am at 100% and my opponent is at 99%, I don't feel behind in the slighest - I feel ahead, especially if I am playing a light opponent like Fox or Sheik. I don't think the % lead argument holds as being logical for this game. We do it out of convenience, and because there is no good alternative.

I do, it's rough since I just moved into my new place and I'm on 4G, but I may have to play on that or wait until Friday where I should have internet. But it'll be complete.

I don't think that's as comparable. Sudden Death not being allowed should be pretty obvious (it effectively changes the outcome of the match to a mini-game with how random it is). Bowsercide always causes Bowser to lose or get Sudden Death in this game, he does not get a win. It's bugged, yes, but it's consistent in the game that Bowser does not get the win.

Also in the one instance where a suicide move always results in a win = Ganondorf, the game is clearly designed with this in mind. Trying to do Ganondorf's sideB near a ledge can result in his SD, whereas most other similar moves do not throw the user off the ledge.
It's "lose or sudden death", so the game is inconsistent. In the last patch, it always won. It wouldn't make sense to count the "sudden death" result as a loss, would it? Should I force players to play that situation out? What should we do if the game goes to sudden death?

The game was also clearly designed so that Bowser wins off the Klaw SD, but then the last patch glitched the move. I suspect that the move will be fixed in 8 days, anyway.

Bowser's move isn't the only one that can grab you neutrally on the stage and then carry you off. Dedede and Kirby can do this as well.

FSLink

Banned
It's "lose or sudden death", so the game is inconsistent. In the last patch, it always won. It wouldn't make sense to count the "sudden death" result as a loss, would it? Should I force players to play that situation out? What should we do if the game goes to sudden death?

The game was also clearly designed so that Bowser wins off the Klaw SD, but then the last patch glitched the move. I suspect that the move will be fixed in 8 days, anyway.

Bowser's move isn't the only one that can grab you neutrally on the stage and then carry you off. Dedede and Kirby can do this as well.

In the last patch is irrelevant though, we play based off the most recent patch. I hope it gets buffed next patch but right now, it's a bad move. And the game is consistent in that a Bowsercide doesn't result in a win, it's either a loss or a "tie" (Sudden Death). What's bugged is that it's not consistently a loss or a tie.

I'm aware of all the suicide moves. Dedede/Kirby loses if both themselves + opponent reaches blast zones at the same time (aka opponent is touching initiator). They win if they spit them out and jump. DK and Wario are similar too if you don't let the opponent go at the last second. They all lose. Ganondorf has the only suicide move in the game that results in a win that still involves contact with the opponent in the blast zone.

Besides, to quote a previous post of yours, the game tests your ability to KO people off ledges, not build %. Bowser is almost always behind in % in matches, but that doesn't mean he's losing. Hell, when Bowser gets to high %, it just means he's on a new level of terrifying if he gets the right read. I don't feel behind at all when at high % unless my opponent is at a very low %. Certainly, if I am at 100% and my opponent is at 99%, I don't feel behind in the slighest - I feel ahead, especially if I am playing a light opponent like Fox or Sheik. I don't think the % lead argument holds as being logical for this game. We do it out of convenience, and because there is no good alternative.
Some tourneys do a 2 min match or something to determine the results of a tie instead. % is the easiest though, and I'm sure it can be argued for or against. It's mostly due to convenience, sure, but I always felt if you aren't ahead a stock, you aren't "winning" anyway, and if the opponent managed to rack up more percent on you without dying, I think they deserve the win. I do think it's worth reevaluating this rule especially if say, Customs Villager becomes a huge issue, but I don't think it will be.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Bowsercide is bugged because both characters should die at the same time no questions asked. That doesn't happen.

The opponent on the bottom hits the blast zone first so they should die. The Bowser keeps going and then he dies. Hence Bowsercide.

Now depending on stage either both characters die or Bowser dies first and the opponent can still be placed above the blast zone and recover from death.

In the last patch is irrelevant though, we play based off the most recent patch. I hope it gets buffed next patch but right now, it's a bad move. And the game is consistent in that a Bowsercide doesn't result in a win, it's either a loss or a "tie" (Sudden Death). What's bugged is that it's not consistently a loss or a tie.

I'm aware of all the suicide moves. Dedede/Kirby loses if both themselves + opponent reaches blast zones at the same time (aka opponent is touching initiator). They win if they spit them out and jump. DK and Wario are similar too if you don't let the opponent go at the last second. They all lose. Ganondorf has the only suicide move in the game that results in a win that still involves contact with the opponent in the blast zone.

Some tourneys do a 2 min match or something to determine the results of a tie instead. % is the easiest though, and I'm sure it can be argued for or against. It's mostly due to convenience, sure, but I always felt if you aren't ahead a stock, you aren't "winning" anyway, and if the opponent managed to rack up more percent on you without dying, I think they deserve the win. I do think it's worth reevaluating this rule especially if say, Customs Villager becomes a huge issue, but I don't think it will be.
Really? I thought Dedede and Kirby won.

DK makes sense because he is on the bottom of the move. I didn't even think about Wario.

Well, if enough people are against the clause, I will remove it. Ideally, the patch will come out on the 15th, and it will resolve the issue for us (PLEASE, Sakurai).

I do think that one major point that needs to be considered is that Bowsercide is the only suicide move on the list where your opponent can kill your character because you landed a move. Ganondorf, Kirby, Dedede, etc. all choose to suicide. Bowser doesn't. If Bowser had control of the move, I really wouldn't care, but the main issue is that the opponent can kill Bowser for Bowser landing a move, and Bowser loses the game. That is a deeply flawed situation.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Really? I thought Dedede and Kirby won.

DK makes sense because he is on the bottom of the move. I didn't even think about Wario.

Well, if enough people are against the clause, I will remove it. Ideally, the patch will come out on the 15th, and it will resolve the issue for us (PLEASE, Sakurai).

I do think that one major point that needs to be considered is that Bowsercide is the only suicide move on the list where your opponent can kill your character because you landed a move. Ganondorf, Kirby, Dedede, etc. all choose to suicide. Bowser doesn't. If Bowser had control of the move, I really wouldn't care, but the main issue is that the opponent can kill Bowser for Bowser landing a move, and Bowser loses the game. That is a deeply flawed situation.

Yep. As it stands Flying Slam is a risk move. But that's why I use Dash Slash in Custom games.

I wish Bowser's command grab was like Ganon's with his full control over the move.

Yep. As it stands Flying Slam is a risk move. But that's why I use Dash Slash in Custom games.

I wish Bowser's command grab was like Ganon's with his full control over the move.
I would be happy if it just went straight up and down, really. Get rid of the SD component entirely and make it a kill move. Of course, Dash Slash would still be better.

Maybe I'll get rid of the clause just because all 3 Bowser players here aren't going to use the move anyway. :p

Puruzi

Banned
i hate how much better than me you are, orz

VlwC25n.png

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I hope the patch gets rid of some moves putting characters in free fall. Like Zelda. That's just dumb.

I don't even play Zelda.

Top Bottom