• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

Its a great tech for any heavy with super-armor.
Bowser doesn't have super armor on anything.

Bruh, you're not saying anything I don't know or don't understand. That's great that the things he listed worked against his sonic, which would make a lot of sense, since he should know what would work against himself. With the Sonics I've watch and with the ones I've played, those things don't work very well, because they play with a style that avoids being punished for what is listed.

And if I was playing without trying to get better and without trying to understand the ways in which I can counter other characters, then I wouldn't be playing at all. So your approach is not much different from mine. Except for the part where I'm complaining, which doesn't necessarily have to be viewed as negative, because my complaining led to Flux offering a helpful suggestion. Sometimes complaining is helpful, and you can complain and try to get better simultaneously, doesn't have to be one or the other.

Maybe I can complain in a different way that doesn't bother you, but that's a whole 'nother topic.
I didn't quote anyone in particular because I was not addressing anyone in particular. Do know that I was not secretly trying to give you lip.

Zero173

I didn't quote anyone in particular because I was not addressing anyone in particular. Do know that I was not secretly trying to give you lip.

Oh...okay. Lol, awks.

Just seemed to fit, since I was complaining the most. My bad. I kind of understand though, complaining can sometimes be too much.

Which characters did you use to go against Sonic?

SoldnerKei

nsIbDG9.jpg

finally got this, now I can give my old controller a rest!
that being said, it feels weird to play with a brand new controller lol, kinda used to my old one

Bruh, you're not saying anything I don't know or don't understand. That's great that the things he listed worked against his sonic, which would make a lot of sense, since he should know what would work against himself. With the Sonics I've watch and with the ones I've played, those things don't work very well, because they play with a style that avoids being punished for what is listed.

And if I was playing without trying to get better and without trying to understand the ways in which I can counter other characters, then I wouldn't be playing at all. So your approach is not much different from mine. Except for the part where I'm complaining, which doesn't necessarily have to be viewed as negative, because my complaining led to Flux offering a helpful suggestion. Sometimes complaining is helpful, and you can complain and try to get better simultaneously, doesn't have to be one or the other.

Maybe I can complain in a different way that doesn't bother you, but that's a whole 'nother topic.

The way Sonic matches go really depend on 2 things. The Sonic player's style, and whatever character you're using. MOST (and when I say most I mean the vast vast majority) Sonic players do the "hit and run" strategy to perfection. Certain characters can keep up with this style if they are incredibly fast like Fox/Sheik, or have good ranged options like ZSS, Pikachu, Pac-Man etc.

If you don't use one of the few characters that can counter or keep up with the hit and run playstyle well, you are pretty much at the mercy of the Sonic player as far as the length and tempo of the match goes. They will dictate it. This is why soooooooo many Sonic matches tend to go to time, or to the last minute. It's your job to keep your composure and maintain good defense, and punish where available, because a good sonic will make those options few and far between.

Just to give you an example. I main Ness. I can't do much to dictate the tempo, as all of Ness's ranged moves have so much lag that Sonic can punish all of them fairly easy. This leads me to have to use my aerials as my primary attack strategy. My options are severly limited. What isn't limited are my defensive options, so the key for me is to keep my composure, don't get frustrated and do something stupid if I haven't landed a hit in awhile, and counterpick platform stages to give myself the best chance. I always try to pick stages with a lot of platforms. It does 2 things. It cuts off some of Sonic's hit and run options like his homing spin move (B). Second, it gives me more attack and evade options as I can jump up, down, and in between various platforms to confuse and hopefully get the Sonic player to do something silly and open themselves up for attack. On a side note, this is why I have been on a bit of a annoying rant on here that more people need to stop playing on FD/Omega stages only. This is a prime example, among other reasons. Players need to know how to use platforms effectively.

Oh...okay. Lol, awks.

Just seemed to fit, since I was complaining the most. My bad. I kind of understand though, complaining can sometimes be too much.

Which characters did you use to go against Sonic?
No worries.

I main Bowser, and I pretty much only use him these days because the rest of my attention goes to Zato.

The way Sonic matches go really depend on 2 things. The Sonic player's style, and whatever character you're using. MOST (and when I say most I mean the vast vast majority) Sonic players do the "hit and run" strategy to perfection. Certain characters can keep up with this style if they are incredibly fast like Fox/Sheik, or have good ranged options like ZSS, Pikachu, Pac-Man etc.

If you don't use one of the few characters that can counter or keep up with the hit and run playstyle well, you are pretty much at the mercy of the Sonic player as far as the length and tempo of the match goes. They will dictate it. This is why soooooooo many Sonic matches tend to go to time, or to the last minute. It's your job to keep your composure and maintain good defense, and punish where available, because a good sonic will make those options few and far between.

Just to give you an example. I main Ness. I can't do much to dictate the tempo, as all of Ness's ranged moves have so much lag that Sonic can punish all of them fairly easy. This leads me to have to use my aerials as my primary attack strategy. My options are severly limited. What isn't limited are my defensive options, so the key for me is to keep my composure, don't get frustrated and do something stupid if I haven't landed a hit in awhile, and counterpick platform stages to give myself the best chance. I always try to pick stages with a lot of platforms. It does 2 things. It cuts off some of Sonic's hit and run options like his homing spin move (B). Second, it gives me more attack and evade options as I can jump up, down, and in between various platforms to confuse and hopefully get the Sonic player to do something silly and open themselves up for attack. On a side note, this is why I have been on a bit of a annoying rant on here that more people need to stop playing on FD/Omega stages only. This is a prime example, among other reasons. Players need to know how to use platforms effectively.
If you would have just said "Use platforms to fuck over Sonic", more people would have listened!

Though I have taken to a lot of platform play these days. Keeps it interesting.

Zero173

Yea, I can see these things being true.

And i think so many people are used to For Glory that they forget about how useful platforms might be. Thanks Sakurai.

Actually, I don't think I have much practice with platforms either, now that I think about it.

GGs, Oric! Please stop evading all my attacks. Thank you :p

GGs Dragon! Your Samus is really great. You should play Boney sometime, as you two are the only ones I've seen with a competent Samus.
Hey, thanks! Your Sheik was good, too. I remember reading you were learning her. It seems to be going well. I've been dabbling in Ganon these days. Never really used him seriously till this entry; he's fun.

Zero173

No worries.

I main Bowser, and I pretty much only use him these days because the rest of my attention goes to Zato.

Bowser is awesome. I've seen some players use up B out of shield to punish, though I can't decide whether that's actually the best counter, or if that's just because that's what people did in Melee.

What do you prefer for your punish out of shield?

GGs, Oric! Please stop evading all my attacks. Thank you :p

Hey, thanks! Your Sheik was good, too. I remember reading you were learning her. It seems to be going well. I've been dabbling in Ganon these days. Never really used him seriously till this entry; he's fun.
I'm getting the hang of her, but the offstage chase is still the big hurdle I need to master. And yeah, I fucking suck against Ganon, so feel free to use him against me all you want.

Bowser is awesome. I've seen some players use up B out of shield to punish, though I can't decide whether that's actually the best counter, or if that's just because that's what people did in Melee.

What do you prefer for your punish out of shield?
It is entirely situational. I use Fortress, Klaw, Bomb, and shield grab in different situations. Fortress if they are above me, behind me, or slightly our of grab range. Klaw if it will kill. Bomb if I am 100% sure I got the punish, and shield grab if they are up front and close. You have to learn when to use all of them properly to optimize your play.

Vena

Watching the PM Xanadu reminds me of why I don't like PM now that I've gotten used to it. I see so many smash attacks get shielded mid-hit because of the cancels. I swear the only ground kills I see are down-smashes with fast, singular hitboxes. Aerials for days.

I managed to get my for glory win ratio back to 50% after how embarrassingly bad it was when I started. Pretty happy about that. Gotta try and learn the advanced techniques now and improve my mix up and combo game.

Top Bottom