• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

Zekes!

Just got this from Canadian BestBuy/Future Shop for $44. I haven't played my 3DS version for a while but I pretty much fell right back in to it. Trying to quickly unlock all of the characters again.

One thing I noticed is that I find it easier to use Shulk's Monado Arts in this version, maybe because the symbols are bigger and easier to see?

Stage selection is cool, but I wish there were more static, non-changing ones. Also, it sucks that they didn't even even update the visuals on the Onett stage.

Crayolan

Just got this from Canadian BestBuy/Future Shop for $44. I haven't played my 3DS version for a while but I pretty much fell right back in to it. Trying to quickly unlock all of the characters again.

One thing I noticed is that I find it easier to use Shulk's Monado Arts in this version, maybe because the symbols are bigger and easier to see?

Stage selection is cool, but I wish there were more static, non-changing ones. Also, it sucks that they didn't even even update the visuals on the Onett stage.

They did, but it's not as immediately obvious as some others:
8a5.gif

SoldnerKei

Mmm. Personally, I feel that if you want to play a fighting game seriously, there are other competitive fighting games that are more suited to that, and people like that could have fun playing those. If you play Smash Brothers seriously as a competitive game, the game itself has no future.

and I know that this has been brought up like a gazillion of times, but Melee(the so called competitive Smash) has been played for almost 15 years since release, I think is dumber to say that people who like competitive fighting games should be playing other games instead than smash has no future as a competitive game

Vena

and I know that this has been brought up like a gazillion of times, but Melee(the so called competitive Smash) has been played for almost 15 years since release, I think is dumber to say that people who like competitive fighting games should be playing other games instead than smash has no future as a competitive game

This is an issue of context and taking something out of context.

He even says, earlier in the interview, that if you want to play 1v1 competitively then you can, and that all ways of playing should be available. The paragraph you're quoting is more from "what do you expect him to make", and if you're expecting him to make a competitive game from the bottom up, then you'd be better served elsewhere and he doesn't think that a Smash game like that has a future. Remember, Melee wasn't made to be competitive... it happened to turn out to become that from a perfect storm of sorts.

There's an argument to be made on whether or not he's right or wrong... a lot of fighting games that are extensively nuanced on inputs are... getting smaller. That mountain metaphor isn't far from the truth, even with Melee.

He even says, earlier in the interview, that if you want to play 1v1 competitively then you can, and that all ways of playing should be available. The paragraph you're quoting is more from "what do you expect him to make", and if you're expecting him to make a competitive game from the bottom up, then you'd be better served elsewhere and he doesn't think that a Smash game like that has a future. Remember, Melee wasn't made to be competitive... it happened to turn out to become that from a perfect storm of sorts.

Exactly

If Smash 4 is a template for the future than i wouldn't worry to much guys.

At the very least its the first game where the development team has embraced the Dual Nature of the game. And thats a good thing

SoldnerKei

There's an argument to be made on whether or not he's right or wrong... a lot of fighting games that are extensively nuanced on inputs are... getting smaller. That mountain metaphor isn't far from the truth, even with Melee.

Smash 4 tries to merge both aspects(competitive/casual) with some of their features, and I think it's great, so it was kind of weird to read that, like you said, it was out of context

and regarding Melee, that's why I think that a Smash game that takes a Competitive view from the beginning wouldn't turn out like he expects, Smash is well know because the characters are well know, I doubt people would stop playing it because it had complex mechanics or high learning curve, with Smash 4 they showed us they are aware of that, but don't want to slide too much into that aspect, which imo should't be a concern, I think people would love it anyway, so far I love Smash 4, so it's quite interesting if the decided to go more into the competitive side

Vena

Smash 4 tries to merge both aspects(competitive/casual) with some of their features, and I think it's great, so it was kind of weird to read that, like you said, it was out of context

and regarding Melee, that's why I think that a Smash game that takes a Competitive view from the beginning wouldn't turn out like he expects, Smash is well know because the characters are well know, I doubt people would stop playing it because it had complex mechanics or high learning curve, with Smash 4 they showed us they are aware of that, but don't want to slide too much into that aspect, which imo should't be a concern, I think people would love it anyway

This is where the article really does go off the rails in translation vs. intention. He's not saying Smash cannot be competitive or even complicated or deep as a game, even Smash 4 is complicated but its not as input-complex/heavy. He's saying that if what you want is a game designed entirely to be competitive+complex then Smash will die as a game because that isn't what Smash is as a game. And if that's what you're after, other games exist to offer that.

He wants to have Smash be accessible and easy to pick up without needing a billion button combinations to be even semi-confident in the gameplay (Tekken is a pisser if you don't sit down and memorize, and perfectly execute the flashy combos). He wants to basically avoid the "supers" and the Tekken's and the Street Fighters and how they approach being spectator friendly and competitive. Smash has an approach of a rather simple but rigid rule-set to the gameplay, you can refine that to excellence and achieve competitive gameplay but at no point does he believe that you need a billion inputs to make the game deep or competitive. (Also he's not even talking about Melee when he says "other", Melee to him is still a Smash game for the most part still follows his design philosophy, its just faster and somewhat more tech-heavy than Sm4sh. It and Sm4sh are basically different approaches to the same game, such variety is good.)

Sm4sh's problems won't be solved by making it more input heavy or turning it into an HD Melee. I don't even think Sm4sh is counter-competitive, if anything its achieved something that Melee hasn't and cannot achieve by virtue of what makes it what it is, a balanced roster between weight classes while still highly competitive when pushed to be. Melee will always be the flashier, faster paced game with the tech skills that doesn't preclude Sm4sh from being competitive in a different way.

Smashboards blew up on this, and the title is a fucking pisser because they can't read the language and some idiot took the text out of context. Its really fucking annoying reading this shit, so mind my rage right in this last paragraph. I swear the mods on there really need to show some fucking editorial control on their article headlines.

This is where the article really does go off the rails in translation vs. intention. He's not saying Smash cannot be competitive or even complicated or deep as a game, even Smash 4 is complicated but its not as input-complex/heavy. He's saying that if what you want is a game designed entirely to be competitive+complex then Smash will die as a game because that isn't what Smash is as a game. And if that's what you're after, other games exist to offer that.

He wants to have Smash be accessible and easy to pick up without needing a billion button combinations to be even semi-confident in the gameplay (Tekken is a pisser if you don't sit down and memorize, and perfectly execute the flashy combos). He wants to basically avoid the "supers" and the Tekken's and the Street Fighters and how they approach being spectator friendly and competitive. Smash has an approach of a rigid rule-set to the gameplay, you can refine that to excellence and achieve competitive gameplay but at no point does he believe that you need a billion inputs to make the game deep or competitive. (Also he's not even talking about Melee when he says "other", Melee to him is still a Smash game for the most part still follows his design philosophy, its just faster and somewhat more tech-heavy than Sm4sh. It and Sm4sh are basically different approaches to the same game, such variety is good.)

Smashboards blew up on this, and the title is a fucking pisser because they can't read the language and some idiot took the text out of context. Its really fucking annoying reading this shit, so mind my rage right in this last paragraph. I swear the mods on there really need to show some fucking editorial control on their article headlines.

yeah its like people cant comprehend the inherent contradictions between their perception of the interview and how the actual game turned out

Its doesn't help that Melee players are somewhat rejecting smash 4 (well at least the crazy ones)

I think his intent is very clear when you think about what he is saying and how Smash 4 actually turned out

If anything they did an amazing job catering to both audiences

Revven

really?!!

this is the first time I heard about this, totally honest
well, then I guess that's it, I must have been flicking wrong due rage because of lag lol, thanks for the info!

Yeah, it happens to me a lot and that's because I flick the C-Stick to avoid the issues with aerials when you're in the air and you're using the analogue stick to control your movement in the air. Well, also because I flick the C-Stick in every Smash game anyway so Nair coming out when I don't or didn't want it to is definitely super annoying.

There's lots of nuances that were changed about the C-Stick in this game and it really irks me. Not enough to make me mad or whatever but certainly enough to impact matches. I'm so used to just being able to flick the stick in any direction to the right to do a Fair, for example, but now if it's slightly ABOVE forward or BELOW forward it has a chance of doing a Nair. Why they thought it was a good idea, I don't know, C-Sticked Nairs makes little sense to me to begin with, there's little reason to do it when all you do is press A to perform it. Something like Fair, Dair, Uair, and Bair makes sense because it requires both the direction and A and using the C-Stick to perform them allows you to keep moving in the air unlike when you do just the analogue stick and A. It's more freedom of movement I guess is what I should say... and diagonals on the C-Stick performing Nair REALLY hurts people who want to C-Stick aerial.

SoldnerKei

He wants to have Smash be accessible and easy to pick up without needing a billion button combinations to be even semi-confident in the gameplay (Tekken is a pisser if you don't sit down and memorize, and perfectly execute the flashy combos). He wants to basically avoid the "supers" and the Tekken's and the Street Fighters and how they approach being spectator friendly and competitive. Smash has an approach of a rather simple but rigid rule-set to the gameplay, you can refine that to excellence and achieve competitive gameplay but at no point does he believe that you need a billion inputs to make the game deep or competitive. (Also he's not even talking about Melee when he says "other", Melee to him is still a Smash game for the most part still follows his design philosophy, its just faster and somewhat more tech-heavy than Sm4sh. It and Sm4sh are basically different approaches to the same game, such variety is good.)

Sm4sh's problems won't be solved by making it more input heavy or turning it into an HD Melee. I don't even think Sm4sh is counter-competitive, if anything its achieved something that Melee hasn't and cannot achieve by virtue of what makes it what it is, a balanced roster between weight classes while still highly competitive when pushed to be. Melee will always be the flashier, faster paced game with the tech skills that doesn't preclude Sm4sh from being competitive in a different way.

exactly, my Melee comment was more like "if this turned out like that, imagine if they take a competitive view in mind" which is pretty much what they did with Sm4sh, and it's how it should be, every Smash title is unique on it's own way, variety is always good, like I said, to me it would be interesting if they slide a bit into that aspect of the game, what kind of ideas would they come up with

since the whole article seems to be a mess, I'll wait for a better translation, thanks for pointing out those excerpts of the interview! and don't worry about the rage, Smashboards it's really dumb sometimes, reason why I prefer here lol

Vena

since the whole article seems to be a mess, I'll wait for a better translation, thanks for pointing out those excerpts of the interview! and don't worry about the rage, Smashboards it's really dumb sometimes, reason why I prefer here lol

I hate Smashboards with articles like this because it starts a wave of misrepresentation.

I facepalm everytime TK makes a comment on stream/Xanadu about how "no more balance patches ever!". I think the commentators have as of recent gotten better in sifting through the bullshit but they'll still perpetuate it.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
As far as the ranbat goes I think I 5-0-ed Saturn in my favor. Close matches though. After the initial 5 wins I played friendlies. At least countering PK thunder is easier by dairing it.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
But yeah I kinda wish me and Saturn could continue our Meta Knight vs. Olimar fights. Fighting as Meta Knight is always fun. And getting to fight a decent one is just awesome to watch in motion.

Although I only used ZSS in one match I need to start using her more. Guess I like playing as Bowser too much. Surprised I got a couple Bowser Dropkick's in there. And yolo get up from ledge Bowser Bomb's.

But yeah I kinda wish me and Saturn could continue our Meta Knight vs. Olimar fights. Fighting as Meta Knight is always fun. And getting to fight a decent one is just awesome to watch in motion.

Although I only used ZSS in one match I need to start using her more. Guess I like playing as Bowser too much. Surprised I got a couple Bowser Dropkick's in there. And yolo get up from ledge Bowser Bomb's.

I've really improved my Olimar. Was initially disappointed in his nerfs but I learned to work around his drawbacks. Anyway, I'd like to continue that later too.

Your ZSS was pretty good, imo.

Pappasman

But that's been proven wrong by fans time and time again. Smash as a game has lived for YEARS because of a passionate fanbase of people who want to compete and has even given rise to a mod that has a massive community that has supported it for years. What Smash is, was, and can be is not fixed. A balance can be struck.

I really enjoy smash 4, but its very odd when I see that people think it is some kind of balance. They took out some of the more ridiculous mechanics and BS, but it is still much closer to brawl than the 2 other games. Removing horrible mechanics is not catering to the community haha.

Its doesn't help that Melee players are somewhat rejecting smash 4 (well at least the crazy ones)

Some people don't play it because they don't like it. It doesn't make them crazy.

Vena

But that's been proven wrong by fans time and time again. Smash as a game has lived for YEARS because of a passionate fanbase of people who want to compete and has even given rise to a mod that has a massive community that has supported it for years. What Smash is, was, and can be is not fixed. A balance can be struck.

I really enjoy smash 4, but its very odd when I see that people think it is some kind of balance. They took out some of the more ridiculous mechanics and BS, but it is still much closer to brawl than the 2 other games. Removing horrible mechanics is not catering to the community haha.

He's not talking about fans. He's talking about himself and designing the game only from the competitive point of view... So you completely missed his point. He even states, a paragraph up, that the community and players can do whatever the they want and should be able to do it and enjoy it.

I don't agree about you on Smash, I think Smash 4 struck a very good balance and offers something far and away from Melee, and different from Brawl. Variety is the spice of life even if people seem to forget that...

FluxWaveZ

Ha, Shamrock, you're right. I didn't even notice the timer in the Sonic vs. Pac-man match until there was, like, 15 seconds left. Guess the evasive games Sonic requires forces that.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I've really improved my Olimar. Was initially disappointed in his nerfs but I learned to work around his drawbacks. Anyway, I'd like to continue that later too.

Your ZSS was pretty good, imo.

Nah it was pretty scrubby. Not good at all.

Watch out for a Custom Ganondorf's on Olimar. At 50% a Flame Choke > Dark Fists will autokill you. So you'll have to tech it.

Ha, Shamrock, you're right. I didn't even notice the timer in the Sonic vs. Pac-man match until there was, like, 15 seconds left. Guess the evasive games Sonic requires forces that.

Lol, yea. It's just the nature of the character. You have a great Rosalina by the way. One of Ness's worst matchups imo

Nabster92

I'm feeling frustrated. I fired this game up and felt the controller rumble. I went into controller options and set rumble to off. The controller still rumbles. I then go into Wii U system options since my PS3 has the system option to kill rumble for all games. I do not see such a option anywhere in Wii U system options.

Is there something I'm missing? This is important because controller rumble messes with my heart rhythm.

Bit late of a response, but if you're using the GC controller adapter, apparently you can also just not plug in the grey usb plug, which powers the rumble feature.

From the FAQ on their site: http://en-americas-support.nintendo...cube-super-smash-bros.-edition-controller-faq

Q: Do I need to plug in both USB cables for my GameCube Controller Adapter to work?
A: As a rule, both should be inserted; however, if you are short on ports, then only the black plug should be inserted. Be aware, though, that this will cause the rumble feature not to function as it is powered by the grey plug.

Molemitts

I got Smash Wii U for Christmas after playing the 3DS a fair amount. The Wii U version is obviously 1000 times better. I imagine it's gonna be one of those games I don't play that often but when I do play it I get sucked in for hours. I still have to use a gamepad though, which is a shame because the Pro Controller is really expensive anywhere.

My NNID is Molemitts if anyone wants to add. I might play some online later maybe tomorrow, though. I'm also not very good at it, but Bowser Jr is my jam.

Haha, you sure about me having a great Rosalina after that one?

I do like her, though. How comes she's so bad for Ness?

The obvious one is her down b that takes away Ness's recovery so easy. But most of her moves seem to out prioritize Ness. One of Ness's primary moves, PKthunder, is near completely useless with the luma blocking it and the Rosa down b. This also effects pk fire. Ness is a grab centric character to, which Luma can mess up.

Top Bottom