• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

harz-marz

Just purchased this and never played a Smash game before. Not played it yet but am a bit daunted lol.

Can't find a reasonably priced pro controller anywhere so am stuck with game pad!

Fugu

She is just as good as ever bro

A little tweaked but still beastly

What do you want to know?
She's fine, but I think "as good as ever" is a bit of a stretch. She seems much closer to Brawl peach than Melee Peach, both in terms of relative prospects and in terms of how she plays. Obviously it's too early to make a call on the former but I'm pretty sure the latter will remain true regardless of how long the game is out.

I guess I want to know how to punish with her given that dair is unsafe and dash attack is very, very unsafe unless you're super confident that both hits are going to work. Ground float nair works but it's fairly short range and the extremely slow turnip pull makes turnips not that viable of an option. Jabs/grabs work but they're, again, short range and somewhat limited on the followup/damage spectrum. Also, I haven't had the game too long but it seems that dsmash is no longer very good for shield stabbing, so there's that.

I want to stress that I pretty much skipped out on Brawl entirely outside of some pretty heavy playing for the first year or so after its release, so if there's some meta component to brawl/S4 Peach that I'm missing, that's why.

She's fine, but I think "as good as ever" is a bit of a stretch. She seems much closer to Brawl peach than Melee Peach, both in terms of relative prospects and in terms of how she plays. Obviously it's too early to make a call on the former but I'm pretty sure the latter will remain true regardless of how long the game is out.

I guess I want to know how to punish with her given that dair is unsafe and dash attack is very, very unsafe unless you're super confident that both hits are going to work. Ground float nair works but it's fairly short range and the extremely slow turnip pull makes turnips not that viable of an option. Jabs/grabs work but they're, again, short range and somewhat limited on the followup/damage spectrum. Also, I haven't had the game too long but it seems that dsmash is no longer very good for shield stabbing, so there's that.

I want to stress that I pretty much skipped out on Brawl entirely outside of some pretty heavy playing for the first year or so after its release, so if there's some meta component to brawl/S4 Peach that I'm missing, that's why.

She is nothing like brawl Peach

She is completely reblanced so we got buffs in some areas and nerfs in others

- Jab is roughly the Same (if somewhat less effective)

- Dash Attack. Big buff since now it can kill. Be wary though. It now has a sweet spot and the double hit only occurs if you activate it on top of the opponent. Otherwise its no more punishable than any other dash attack

- FTilt is as good as ever. Super fast, low lag, and pops up players. Great as a surprise punish

- Utilt is Beast. Also has lots of combo potential.

- Dtilt is amazing. Combo starter.

- Up Smash is about the same (kills like melee and high priority)

- Fsmash. Holy crap. Big buff. Faster, longer range and lower end lag. Great for punishing approaches (I was snagging Fox like crazy)

- Down Smash. Balanced. Not Melee powerful but a great damage builder and roll punish

- Nair is about the same and always good. I hear ya about the range complaint. Dont ground Approach with it. Use it in the air and as a "get off me" option. It still retains lots of power

- Fair is amazing. Great range and power but lots of landing lag. Use while rising.

- UpAir. New Move and FANTASTIC. Great for follow ups and combos. Only has medium priority so be mindful of the character you use it against.

- Down Air. AMAZING. HUGE Buff here. Seriously. Has above average priority, great knockback, multihit, and you have some much movement control even when the animation is active. Its an approach, getoffme, retreat, combo starter, etc.... Its literally that good. Practice with it.

- Bair. Debuffed a bit but just in range and movement. Still very strong. Its no longer a safe approach and should be used only in combos or counter attacks. This is the toughest habit for old peach players to break since this has been our bread and butter move for so long.

Ill break down her specials in another post or something. Feel free to ask questions!

All right guys, I have six challenges left...

- Clear Classic at 9.0 without losing a life
- Clear Solo Classic at 9.0 in 12 minutes as Marth
- Collect all custom special moves
- Collect all custom headgear
- Destroy 50,000 blocks in Trophy Rush
- Deal the final blow to a boss in Smash Tour

... and two hammers left. I can't decide if I should hammer the custom specials + headgear ones to skip out on all the aimless grinding they require or hammer the 9.0 Marth one + one of the collection ones because Master Fortress on 9.0 is so enormously frustrating. (Hell, Master Fortress is enormously frustrating on 8.0 and 8.5, too.)

I'd hammer the 9.0 in one life challenge if I could, but sadly it's un-hammerable. I know you can use customizations to make the 9.0 Classic challenges easier, but what are some of the best/cheapest customizations you guys have used to clear them (Marth 9.0 and clearing it in a single life)?

Argh, so close yet so far...

EDIT: Just tried Marth 9.0 with a custom Marth who had +164 strength and -8 defense and got absolutely worked by Master Core. Went from 0-80% from one attack by the human form and was KO'd immediately after that. Yeah, looks like I'm going to have a lot of trouble with this. :/

Lethe82

Banned
Is is just me or is Sonic better in this game than Brawl? Also why the heck did they buff the Smash Attack knockbacks so much?

Nabster92

... and two hammers left. I can't decide if I should hammer the custom specials + headgear ones to skip out on all the aimless grinding they require or hammer the 9.0 Marth one + one of the collection ones because Master Fortress on 9.0 is so enormously frustrating. (Hell, Master Fortress is enormously frustrating on 8.0 and 8.5, too.)

I'd hammer the 9.0 in one life challenge if I could, but sadly it's un-hammerable. I know you can use customizations to make the 9.0 Classic challenges easier, but what are some of the best/cheapest customizations you guys have used to clear them (Marth 9.0 and clearing it in a single life)?

EDIT: Just tried Marth 9.0 with a custom Marth who had +164 strength and -8 defense and got absolutely worked by Master Core. Went from 0-80% from one attack by the human form and was KO'd immediately after that. Yeah, looks like I'm going to have a lot of trouble with this. :/

Yea I tried using a high attack custom at first and was doing ok, then I tried doing a build with two of my highest defense and one attack and did it in one try

emb

I would not hesitate to decide to hammer away the headgear and 50000 block challenges. At least the super difficult ones are interesting, even though probably super frustrating. For the headgear though, it's probably worth waiting to hammer until after you've been trying the classic mode ones for a while. You might accidentally complete that or the custom moves thing.
Is is just me or is Sonic better in this game than Brawl? Also why the heck did they buff the Smash Attack knockbacks so much?
I have limited experience with him in both, but he seems a lot better, sure. Probably got buffed so much because he wasn't that good in Brawl.

He is much better in almost every respect from what I have seen

Still dies at low percents which is funny because every Sonic I have played so far was very aggressive

Fugu

She is nothing like brawl Peach

She is completely reblanced so we got buffs in some areas and nerfs in others

- Jab is roughly the Same (if somewhat less effective)

- Dash Attack. Big buff since now it can kill. Be wary though. It now has a sweet spot and the double hit only occurs if you activate it on top of the opponent. Otherwise its no more punishable than any other dash attack

- FTilt is as good as ever. Super fast, low lag, and pops up players. Great as a surprise punish

- Utilt is Beast. Also has lots of combo potential.

- Dtilt is amazing. Combo starter.

- Up Smash is about the same (kills like melee and high priority)

- Fsmash. Holy crap. Big buff. Faster, longer range and lower end lag. Great for punishing approaches (I was snagging Fox like crazy)

- Down Smash. Balanced. Not Melee powerful but a great damage builder and roll punish

- Nair is about the same and always good. I hear ya about the range complaint. Dont ground Approach with it. Use it in the air and as a "get off me" option. It still retains lots of power

- Fair is amazing. Great range and power but lots of landing lag. Use while rising.

- UpAir. New Move and FANTASTIC. Great for follow ups and combos. Only has medium priority so be mindful of the character you use it against.

- Down Air. AMAZING. HUGE Buff here. Seriously. Has above average priority, great knockback, multihit, and you have some much movement control even when the animation is active. Its an approach, getoffme, retreat, combo starter, etc.... Its literally that good. Practice with it.

- Bair. Debuffed a bit but just in range and movement. Still very strong. Its no longer a safe approach and should be used only in combos or counter attacks. This is the toughest habit for old peach players to break since this has been our bread and butter move for so long.

Ill break down her specials in another post or something. Feel free to ask questions!
I'm not arguing that she's like Brawl Peach, really, just that she's even less like Melee peach. For example, I could already do all of those things with dair except knockback in Melee, but the knockback is actually a nerf to me because Melee Peach can combo out of dair into nair or bair to get better knockback anyway (plus some extra damage). And that you assess the dash attack as being "as punishable as any other dash attack" in the game is indicative of just how different it is from Melee's, where it is useful expressly because of its hilarious hitbox.

Anyway, I mostly agree with your assessment of her moves which is why I'm still having a hard time finding an effective approach. I don't see rising fairs as all that viable because they're still unsafe if you do them rising and a rising fair outright won't work on a significant percentage of the cast.

I'm not arguing that she's like Brawl Peach, really, just that she's even less like Melee peach. For example, I could already do all of those things with dair except knockback in Melee, but the knockback is actually a nerf to me because Melee Peach can combo out of dair into nair or bair to get better knockback anyway (plus some extra damage). And that you assess the dash attack as being "as punishable as any other dash attack" in the game is indicative of just how different it is from Melee's, where it is useful expressly because of its hilarious hitbox.

Anyway, I mostly agree with your assessment of her moves which is why I'm still having a hard time finding an effective approach. I don't see rising fairs as all that viable because they're still unsafe if you do them rising (perhaps moreso than a) and a rising fair outright won't work on a significant percentage of the cast.

My favorite approach options are rising arc Dairs (retreating down airs work too) Turnip mixups, Float delays and mix ups

Fast Fall Dair into Uptilt.

Its just a learning process but the new Peach is beastly man. I do miss the tools from Melee but the new stuff is just as fun.

FAir, while awesome, should see very restricted use. Aerial combos, chases or counters. Its a horrible approach option... even when floating retreating with it unless you maintain float. Even then the lag on the move is enough to be punished when missed.

Zabi

Banned
I'm feeling frustrated. I fired this game up and felt the controller rumble. I went into controller options and set rumble to off. The controller still rumbles. I then go into Wii U system options since my PS3 has the system option to kill rumble for all games. I do not see such a option anywhere in Wii U system options.

Is there something I'm missing? This is important because controller rumble messes with my heart rhythm.

I'm feeling frustrated. I fired this game up and felt the controller rumble. I went into controller options and set rumble to off. The controller still rumbles. I then go into Wii U system options since my PS3 has the system option to kill rumble for all games. I do not see such a option anywhere in Wii U system options.

Is there something I'm missing? This is important because controller rumble messes with my heart rhythm.

http://en-americas-support.nintendo...rn-the-wii-u-gamepad-rumble-feature-on-or-off

Edit: I just tried to turn the rumble off myself and it does in fact still rumble. What the hell?

boxter432

I am guessing the rumble being off is only applied to 1 name selection, so unless you choose that, you will have rumble. just like when I turned off Tap to Jump, it's only on 2 names that I use: "No Tap" and "Banana", but if I started playing just as Player 1, Tap to Jump would be on.

I am guessing the rumble being off is only applied to 1 name selection, so unless you choose that, you will have rumble. just like when I turned off Tap to Jump, it's only on 2 names that I use: "No Tap" and "Banana", but if I started playing just as Player 1, Tap to Jump would be on.

Awww!

Yup make sure you disable it ingame for the ingame profile you use

Zabi

Banned
http://en-americas-support.nintendo...rn-the-wii-u-gamepad-rumble-feature-on-or-off

Edit: I just tried to turn the rumble off myself and it does in fact still rumble. What the hell?

Thanks for the link. Just tried it myself. It worked. Did you hit "Back" after making the selection or did you do something else?

Oh I get it. I had created a profile but I was still set as Player 1. I'd try it but I already turned off rumble completely.

SoldnerKei

SolarKnight(SolarKnightR)
Soul Lab(Soul-Lab)
SquirrelNuckle(SquirrelNuckle)
SuperBowser(SuperSiddu)
SUPERJEM94(SUPERJEM94)

still need to play my ranbat against you guys, I think saturday will be available for almost everyone, or perhaps tomorrow if we happen to be around here at some time

Beats

GGs Out_Of_Ammo. Felt some input delay in the first few matches, but it smoothed out afterwards. Fun matches. Wario's waft is too scary. : <

Son Of D

I need tips on fighting Sonic. I can never keep up with him and I feel that when I do win it's luck. I use Shulk mostly with a side order of ZSS and Luigi.

I need tips on fighting Sonic. I can never keep up with him and I feel that when I do win it's luck. I use Shulk mostly with a side order of ZSS and Luigi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TJiICpzpxs

Not sure but this vid gives me a better idea of the character.

One thing with Shulk is the heaping amount of endlag on a lot of his attacks. Whiffing is not an option in most cases.

As far as dealing with Sonic I would counter the constant aggression with defensive play. Grabs, Counters, Down Smash to punish Rush ins and rolls.

Those Monado arts should probably be used situationally and when Sonic is launched.

A lot of Sonics like to play aggressively and mix up with spin attacks. Patience pays off and Sonics die at low percents.

Best of luck man!

suikodan

I know I'm late but for the first time since the game launched, I got an interest in using the multiple Amiibos figurines that I had received/bought.

Only to find out that I cannot play AS my Amiibo???? It will level up and get stronger but for what???? I paid for CPU figurines? Wow, sincerely I'm shocked.

Perhaps the ad mislead me but I'm sure that I recall the guy training his Mario to get better and face off his friends AS his Amiibo. Did I miss something?

I am sincerely disappointed.

You're going to do it in two runs. There's no question about that. Make a tank for the no death run and a glass cannon build for Marth's 12 minute run.

Vampire Gear (You got one from clearing the Lucina Cruel Smash challenge) breaks Classic Mode. Use a heavy character like Ganondorf or Bowser because Vampire heals you relative to the damage you deal so heavy hitters heal much more on their hits. Use a Defense badge and then something to help deal with the increase weight, I had a badge that improved jump height so Ganondorf could actually navigate Master Fortress.

The Marth one could be tricky because of time more than anything. I used a hammer on that but after seeing how busted proper equip set ups can be it doesn't seem too implausible. I see two methods: make Marth a true glass cannon with two attack badges and a defense badge (just to help reduce launch effect) or try out a Home-Run bat abuse build used for Crazy Orders. For glass cannon method, vampire might help but I don't think it boosts your attack high enough and your priority is time so you need to be KOing more than just survival. If using Home Run Bat gear, I'd use the item chucker to help rather than quick batter because the CPU is much more aggressive in Classic Mode than in Crazy Orders and the Bat is an amazing throwing weapon with great damage and launch power.

If you're having trouble learning Master Core's attacks or the best path to navigate Master Fortress's mooks, there's always youtube vids of people playing at 9.0.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c3KJR5G8I8
Edit: That guy's equipment at the beginning is a lie. He used Vampire gear so it seems viable again. Holy crap at the Master Shadow part. 0_0

Other than that, it's the basic best practices tips: Go for 1on1 fights as much as possible and if in a 6+ fight, dodge until the CPUs kill each other, and spam that C-stick. Even if it is 9.0 the computer still isn't that smart.

Stopdoor

I know I'm late but for the first time since the game launched, I got an interest in using the multiple Amiibos figurines that I had received/bought.

Only to find out that I cannot play AS my Amiibo???? It will level up and get stronger but for what???? I paid for CPU figurines? Wow, sincerely I'm shocked.

Perhaps the ad mislead me but I'm sure that I recall the guy training his Mario to get better and face off his friends AS his Amiibo. Did I miss something?

Uh, yeah, the way that commercial was framed was they were doing team battles with their Amiibos as a partner.

How would playing as your Amiibo be any different really? You can customize your character and everything without one already.

SoldnerKei

I am more disappointed with the fact that you can't even use them in 2p modes of classic or adventure, yeah CPU logic and all that, but that would be a plus for owning them >_>

and in another note, a question to whoever has the Smash GC controllers, I was playing against a local friend and we had some terrible lag, so I think that's what caused the issue, which was this, sometimes when I used the c-stick to do aerials the neutral air attack came out... and I was like... why?! stopped playing against him and went to VS to test it out, no problem whatsoever there... so I am blamming lag... has anyone encounter this kind of behavior? good thing I can still return it and get a new one if the controller is messed up

I am more disappointed with the fact that you can't even use them in 2p modes of classic or adventure, yeah CPU logic and all that, but that would be a plus for owning them >_>

and in another note, a question to whoever has the Smash GC controllers, I was playing against a local friend and we had some terrible lag, so I think that's what caused the issue, which was this, sometimes when I used the c-stick to do aerials the neutral air attack came out... and I was like... why?! stopped playing against him and went to VS to test it out, no problem whatsoever there... so I am blamming lag... has anyone encounter this kind of behavior? good think I can still return it and get a new one if the controller is messed up

Sounds like a defective controller or adapter... weird

Return it i guess?

So glad I switched to Pro controllers

SoldnerKei

Sounds like a defective controller or adapter... weird

Return it i guess?

So glad I switched to Pro controllers

I doubt it's the adapter, my old controller never gave that issue, I am guessing it was input delay, lag was pretty terrible against him, or something like that, since I played a few rounds in VS and got nothing, I'll keep playing and testing out... thou yeah, returning it it's the thing I should do right away

I doubt it's the adapter, my old controller never gave that issue, I am guessing it was input delay, lag was pretty terrible against him, or something like that, since I played a few rounds in VS and got nothing, I'll keep playing and testing out... thou yeah, returning it it's the thing I should do right away

Yeah thats unheard of in local play sessions

There shouldn't be any input lag

Revven

and in another note, a question to whoever has the Smash GC controllers, I was playing against a local friend and we had some terrible lag, so I think that's what caused the issue, which was this, sometimes when I used the c-stick to do aerials the neutral air attack came out... and I was like... why?! stopped playing against him and went to VS to test it out, no problem whatsoever there... so I am blamming lag... has anyone encounter this kind of behavior? good thing I can still return it and get a new one if the controller is messed up

If you do a diagonal on the C-Stick you will perform a Neutral Aerial. It's not defective, it's programmed that way for this game. :/

SoldnerKei

If you do a diagonal on the C-Stick you will perform a Neutral Aerial. It's not defective, it's programmed that way for this game. :/

really?!!

this is the first time I heard about this, totally honest
well, then I guess that's it, I must have been flicking wrong due rage because of lag lol, thanks for the info!

emb

Was this posted yet? I don't know how much I trust the translation, but anyway, here are some excerpts. I'm curious to know if we have a fuller thread though.

On future patches:
In regards to the future, I'm completely undecided. Research on balance is always kept and accumulated, and if we had the manpower it could always be done, but we don't know if those resources can be acquired. If there was an elegant way this could be done, or if there was an extremely large problem, it could happen...is the general feel, for now. However, I don't think anything that was fixed in this patch was particularly critical. Only the most hardcore players would notice. Moreover, in a game where advantage and disadvantage because of the rules, I don't think there's a point in trying too hard. I'm always thinking hard to ensure that I don't erase any unique features of a character.

New patches aren't out of the question, I guess. But at least he acknowledges that they would probably be partially pointless.

On competition:
Sakurai said:
Mmm. Personally, I feel that if you want to play a fighting game seriously, there are other competitive fighting games that are more suited to that, and people like that could have fun playing those. If you play Smash Brothers seriously as a competitive game, the game itself has no future.
Sakurai said:
I fought, I lost...these results and suffering from painful feelings is how the user base shrinks, and we want to avoid that with Smash. In that sense, Smash has many elements that are rather ambiguous and nebulous in regards to competition.

He basically doubles down on some of the silly things he's said in past interviews.

I didn't copy it here earlier, since I thought it would already be on GAF somewhere. And it probably is. Looking around though, I didn't see it anywhere yet.

Was this posted yet? I don't know how much I trust the translation, but anyway, here are some excerpts. I'm curious to know if we have a fuller thread though.

On future patches:

New patches aren't out of the question, I guess. But at least he acknowledges that they would probably be partially pointless.

On competition:

He basically doubles down on some of the silly things he's said in past interviews.

I didn't copy it here earlier, since I thought it would already be on GAF somewhere. And it probably is. Looking around though, I didn't see it anywhere yet.

Yeah
Im discussing this stuff on other forums

Its funny because at least with Smash 4 they decided to embrace the competitive community rather than get in their way (brawl)

So I dunno. Its clear he doesn't want to cross over to our side but at least he isn't getting in our way. Considering how damn good Smash 4 straddles the balance between competitive and party game I dont get overly work up about this

If following titles follow the Smash 4 formula than thats fine by me. Just never revert to brawl trolling

Top Bottom