• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

Neoxon

Damn it neoxon!
tumblr_n8rn0iRGaC1rwtl3wo2_500.gif

Jagsrock

Banned
Sheesh duck hunt can be annoying. Just faced one on for glory and it was constant exploding barrels, Frisbee + sheid/roll. Not hard to beat since this strategy ultimately doesn't rack up that much damage and can be punished but my god does it take patience.

Another silly question, but is there no way to play with the Game Pad such that I use the d-pad to control my character and not the stick?
Ha. You don't want to use the D-pad! You need to distinguish between a smash and a tilt. Who wants to press a D-pad twice to do a common move? Eek.

I'm feeling frustrated. I fired this game up and felt the controller rumble. I went into controller options and set rumble to off. The controller still rumbles. I then go into Wii U system options since my PS3 has the system option to kill rumble for all games. I do not see such a option anywhere in Wii U system options.

Is there something I'm missing? This is important because controller rumble messes with my heart rhythm.
If you use a GCN controller, you can unplug the grey cord.

This is where the article really does go off the rails in translation vs. intention. He's not saying Smash cannot be competitive or even complicated or deep as a game, even Smash 4 is complicated but its not as input-complex/heavy. He's saying that if what you want is a game designed entirely to be competitive+complex then Smash will die as a game because that isn't what Smash is as a game. And if that's what you're after, other games exist to offer that.

He wants to have Smash be accessible and easy to pick up without needing a billion button combinations to be even semi-confident in the gameplay (Tekken is a pisser if you don't sit down and memorize, and perfectly execute the flashy combos). He wants to basically avoid the "supers" and the Tekken's and the Street Fighters and how they approach being spectator friendly and competitive. Smash has an approach of a rather simple but rigid rule-set to the gameplay, you can refine that to excellence and achieve competitive gameplay but at no point does he believe that you need a billion inputs to make the game deep or competitive. (Also he's not even talking about Melee when he says "other", Melee to him is still a Smash game for the most part still follows his design philosophy, its just faster and somewhat more tech-heavy than Sm4sh. It and Sm4sh are basically different approaches to the same game, such variety is good.)

Sm4sh's problems won't be solved by making it more input heavy or turning it into an HD Melee. I don't even think Sm4sh is counter-competitive, if anything its achieved something that Melee hasn't and cannot achieve by virtue of what makes it what it is, a balanced roster between weight classes while still highly competitive when pushed to be. Melee will always be the flashier, faster paced game with the tech skills that doesn't preclude Sm4sh from being competitive in a different way.

Smashboards blew up on this, and the title is a fucking pisser because they can't read the language and some idiot took the text out of context. Its really fucking annoying reading this shit, so mind my rage right in this last paragraph. I swear the mods on there really need to show some fucking editorial control on their article headlines.
Word yo, I feel ya.

I'm looking at the Ranbats spreadsheet, and it looks like each bracket has slackers. Either not playing or not recording their scores...

DedValve

Banned
Hop, immediately air dodge, then special before you land. I can show you if you want. Bowser's most important tech IMO.

I just figured this out and pivot grabbing. Holy fucking shit this is a gamechanger.

Being able to IMMEDIATELY do a fortress adds yet another viable rush/retreat option for bowser and its glorious.

I need to practice doing pivot grabs and those cancels more. My main problem with pivot grabs is that it only seems to work when bowser is walking (and I like walking since bowser instantly raises his shield) but now dashing no longer requires a double tap I often find myself dashing instead of walking which ruins a lot of my approaches.

Any way to disable single tap to dash and bring back the old double tap to dash?

Oh my gosh, guys! Last night I went to a Smash Bros. New Years party and had the best night. I thought I wouldn't do well since I haven had time to practice or even plow through the game and I worked from 7AM to 8:30PM that day.

Our first few rounds were just to size up how good everyone was and I whooped people with Wii Fit Trainer and Alph. When we did the big 8 player "for reals" fight me and another guy who was deemed really good used our 3DSs as controllers. After some insane and funny mayhem it was down to me against him. I had one stock and he had three. I took him down to his last life and beat him into the mid 70s before he took me out. He won this neat looking trophy made of a painted Monster can with a Luigi Amiibo on top taped to a computer fan so that it would spin.

It was really great.

Malajax

I'm looking at the Ranbats spreadsheet, and it looks like each bracket has slackers. Either not playing or not recording their scores...

Every time I have time to have a set, nobody is around.

So I'll say again, I'll be free in about an hour. Any bracket 3 bros want to go? I have to catch up with at least 2 sets this week.

I just figured this out and pivot grabbing. Holy fucking shit this is a gamechanger.

Being able to IMMEDIATELY do a fortress adds yet another viable rush/retreat option for bowser and its glorious.

I need to practice doing pivot grabs and those cancels more. My main problem with pivot grabs is that it only seems to work when bowser is walking (and I like walking since bowser instantly raises his shield) but now dashing no longer requires a double tap I often find myself dashing instead of walking which ruins a lot of my approaches.

Any way to disable single tap to dash and bring back the old double tap to dash?
You can definitely pivot grab while dashing.

Ha. You don't want to use the D-pad! You need to distinguish between a smash and a tilt. Who wants to press a D-pad twice to do a common move? Eek.

If you use a GCN controller, you can unplug the grey cord.

Word yo, I feel ya.

There are definitely some ranbat-bans coming! I will be getting in touch with the folks who filled out the survey for bracket 6, in order, to see if they want the spots that will be freed up.

Top Bottom