• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

Crayolan

When Sakurai was asked about this around launch he said that Toad to short to make the physics work.

Sakurai is full of shit, if Olimar can work when he's like 8 cm or something crazy I'm sure toads, which are known to come in all shapes and sizes, can work just fine. Not that I really care about toads, but the real reason is definitely not that.

A thought just occurred to me, what potential DLC stages would you guys want to see?

Cerulean Cave as a home stage for Mewtwo, with a Gen 1 wild battle remix (since that's pretty much Mewtwo's theme). Magicant and Mute City from the 3DS.

One thing I've noticed playing, is that people that are better than me tend to stay in and will easily play me in 10-20 matches.

Players that I can beat, especially quickly, tend to quit after 1 or 2 losses.

There's no ranking system, so the online matchmaking isn't very good.

When Sakurai was asked about this around launch he said that Toad to short to make the physics work.

Oh OK, I'll blame my poor showing on bad matchmaking and I'll tell myself that I keep getting matched with pro players lol.

It's a shame there's no ranking system.

Hatchtag

Banned
Just bring back Pokemon Stadium 1 with Mewtwo and I'll be happy. How 2 got in over 1 is beyond me.
Anyways, any developments on tiers come through yet with the Wii U version? I've noticed Little Mac plays just as well and am still maining him. Might try to learn Shulk now that I have an English version of the game and know what his monado arts are.

Forkball

Just bring back Pokemon Stadium 1 with Mewtwo and I'll be happy. How 2 got in over 1 is beyond me.
Anyways, any developments on tiers come through yet with the Wii U version? I've noticed Little Mac plays just as well and am still maining him. Might try to learn Shulk now that I have an English version of the game and know what his monado arts are.

I don't know if there's an official tier list, but from what I've read, Diddy Kong is probably the S-tier character (which is lame since I'm terrible with him). Rosalina, Yoshi, and ZSS are also high. The bottom tiers are populated with characters that are actually fun to use. I really hate how WFT didn't light the world on fire. Her moves are just too telegraphed and have poor range. I do yoga so I was really looking forward to this character, but I haven't been super successful with her.

best tier list, this one? http://www.eventhubs.com/tiers/ssb4/

and what's so op about Diddy Kong.

Hes not OP at least not from what I have seen

He is super easy to use and learn making him extremely reliable. Which is what matters for Tourney players

The skill vs performance gap seems to be the lowest with Diddy but he is far from unbeatable. I have seen Gannondorf beat a solid Diddy player

Whats nice about Smash 4 is the Gap between the tiers seems to be much lower so I am hoping we will see a large variety of characters in tourneys. Assuming they all just dont go with Diddy

That tier list seems pretty close but its still way to early.

Ive played some amazing matches in for glory that can challenge those assumptions.

There are still many playstyles to be explored for most characters and good players should be able to switch on the fly and adapt characters to their full potential

We will see

Wait, I just heard someone say that Duck Hunt Duo is simply called Duck Hunt in the US version? Is it really? Are there more characters who are named differently in US vs EU?

I second the vote for Fountain of Dreams as far as dream DLC is concerned. I was absolutely crushed when I found out it wasn't in the game; I followed every detail of the game during development and rode the hypetrain hard, but I guess I just expected it to be there and didn't even realize it wasn't until I went looking for it.

Is the music in the game, at least? I don't think I've heard it yet.

Stupid question, but does chat have really bad clipping/distortion for anyone else? It's fine more or less for Mario Kart, but it's very irritating for Smash. I checked the mic sensitivity settings and I don't think that's the issue...

There are definitely some ranbat-bans coming! I will be getting in touch with the folks who filled out the survey for bracket 6, in order, to see if they want the spots that will be freed up.
Neat! I'm not picky about whether I get to join or not. I just want to see that spreadsheet fill up!

I faced against my friend's sonic, and I'm having trouble punishing his homing attacks. Can anyone give me tips on how to punish his homing attacks? I main Peach, my secondary might be Wii-fit trainer.
I've heard shielding works. Shield, short-hop fair?

A thought just occurred to me, what potential DLC stages would you guys want to see?
Hyrule Castle with new graphics but classic shape/mechanics, brand-new Bowser's Castle.

Sakurai is full of shit, if Olimar can work when he's like 8 cm or something crazy I'm sure toads, which are known to come in all shapes and sizes, can work just fine. Not that I really care about toads, but the real reason is definitely not that.
Toad is only marginally shorter than Mario... Also he could swing that big head of his around to do some damage.

Wait, I just heard someone say that Duck Hunt Duo is simply called Duck Hunt in the US version? Is it really? Are there more characters who are named differently in US vs EU?
1. Yes. 2 Not sure.

On another note, I'm having trouble believing these GSPs:

GzGQijP.jpg

Are there really 600,000 rubbish Classic players?

Forkball

EU version isn't canon because technically there are three characters (dog, duck, and unseen shooter who helps with crosshair attacks).

Japan has the superior names, minus Koopa. Bowser deserves a much mightier name.

On another note, I'm having trouble believing these GSPs:

GzGQijP.jpg

Are there really 600,000 rubbish Classic players?

Your score doesn't seem particularly rubbish to me. As for your individual scores: keep in mind that the people who play on high intensities (the people you see on GAF) are probably in a minority. There are still tons of casual gamers who play smash. As for the over-all score, I doubt most people even play Classic with more than half of the characters. I still have like ten characters to play with in Classic myself, and I've put like 50 hours into the game.

EU version isn't canon because technically there are three characters (dog, duck, and unseen shooter who helps with crosshair attacks).

Oh that's kind of true, and then there are five(?) different guys who appear when you do down+b. Shouldn't they count as well?

I still think Duck Hunt Duo sounds better because Duck Hunt doesn't even sound like a complete name, and it's kind of like the hunter with the crosshair attacks isn't supposed to be there but is cheating.

Does anyone know why they named him different in EU and US though? Even got the announcer to say two different names. Disagreement between NoA's and NoE's localization teams I imagine.

Finalow

Eventhub is seen as a complete joke by the Smash community.Their tier lists are not the least bit accurate. You'd have better luck assembling a tier list in this topic.

That being said, Diddy Kong is probably the best character right now.
is there an actual good list or I just shouldn't care about tiers at all? I wanted to decide what characters to play and get good with, in order to avoid the worst ones I tried to check out some tier lists.

anyway, since I started to play the game yesterday I was wondering what's the best course of actions in order to ''git gud''. try every character and their moves then pick 1-2 characters, train with them, go online and get rekt in order to learn something (?) or relentlessly watch videos and tutorials?

Has anyone got any tips for putting someone away? I can get opponents to around 180% but really struggle to deal a killer blow with Toon Link. I just bat them off one side then the other but they'll always get back and kill me even though I'm at around 100%. It's maddening.

is there an actual good list or I just shouldn't care about tiers at all? I wanted to decide what characters to play and get good with, in order to avoid the worst ones I tried to check out some tier lists.

anyway, since I started to play the game yesterday I was wondering what's the best course of actions in order to ''git gud''. try every character and their moves then pick 1-2 characters, train with them, go online and get rekt in order to learn something (?) or relentlessly watch videos and tutorials?

Pick the character you enjoy playing as, and get good with that character.

emb

I still haven't even cleared classic mode on Wii U yet. I tried it once on 9.0, quit after I lost on the second round. Lol, I don't know what I was expecting from myself. My GSP is probably like 2 or something lol.

The existence of the 3DS really watered down the impact of this game's release for me. Even though there's way more single player content, I've barely bothered with it. I've just played versus matches (and some online).

Uiki

Maybe it's not the right thread...

I was looking to buy a eshop code from game.uk.co because it's a bit cheaper. Are there any weird problems reediming the code outside UK but still in pal regions?

Top Bottom