• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

Seiniyta

If anyone feels like playing some matches with custom equpment on, feel free to add me:

nnid: Seiniyta

no equipment of course :)

Has anyone got any tips for putting someone away? I can get opponents to around 180% but really struggle to deal a killer blow with Toon Link. I just bat them off one side then the other but they'll always get back and kill me even though I'm at around 100%. It's maddening.

You need to interfere with their recovery instead of letting them back on the stage.

Throw a projectile at them. Toon Link has plenty to choose from, or jump off the stage and try to hit them with an aerial.

Finalow

am I wrong or I can't wall jump on a lot of stages? And also some characters can't do it at all.

Basically, Diddy is seen as the best character, with Sheik, Rosalina, ZSS, Sonic, Yoshi, Lucario and Ness all very viable as well. Robin and Shulk also typically do well in tournaments.

I would recommend watching a few competitive tournaments, and picking a character whose playstyle seems appealing to you (any of the chars I talked about above are all competitively viable at the moment). Then check the character guides on Smashboards to learn that character's advanced techniques.
I see, thanks.

Griss

The game saves all of your settings except the change to stock instead of time.

Whyyyyyyyyyy...

Actually, the game not remembering your name from mode to mode is just as bad. Mewtwo save us from this tyranny.

SoldnerKei

ok this is weird, I have been looking at a black screen for like 2 minutes after choosing character, it's the same to you Journeywalker?

edit: I think my game just hanged itself, what the actual hell?! xD
sorry, Journeywalker, had to hard reset my Wii U

edit2: what the hell, I tried to get online and the game killed itself again...

ok, everything seems to be alright now, Journeywalker, if you wanna keep playing feel free to join

emb

It's always been that way, and I've never understood why. In 64 sure, they were still figuring things out.

But in Melee and on, where it's already saving your item switch and stage switch? Weird choice. But it's been repeated so many times now, it must be intentional. I can see why time would be a default, but I just don't get why it doesn't save match settings. (Isn't there an 'everything back to default' option now too? If so that makes it even weirder not to save.)

Not a big deal though. *shrug*

Finalow

just realized that the villager has insane recovery abilities. the whole tree-cutting move seems pretty useless/highly punishable though.

Soul Lab

『Inaba Resident』;145766341 said:
Tree is very useful. Good for edge guarding and it can give you a projectile to use.
You have to be careful when using it against someone who can knock it back.

dont forget the axe after you plant the tree

Finalow

『Inaba Resident』;145766341 said:
Tree is very useful. Good for edge guarding and it can give you a projectile to use.
You have to be careful when using it against someone who can knock it back.
how is it used for edge-guarding? You just plant the tree near the edge or you actually have to time the cutting. sounds hard to get the right timing on that move.

btw I'm not sure if I'm supposed to jump and try to hit the enemy that is trying to recover instead of just edge-guarding. when I go for it I just miss the 99% of the time. ;_(

how is it used for edge-guarding? You just plant the tree near the edge or you actually have to time the cutting. sounds hard to get the right timing on that move.

btw I'm not sure if I'm supposed to jump and try to hit the enemy that is trying to recover instead of just edge-guarding. when I go for it I just miss the 99% of the time. ;_(

Planting it near the edge and cutting it down. Imo, Villager is probably the best edge guarder in the game. He's got great tools that make it difficult to recover. Gyroid and Slingshot help cover horizontal and Tree for vertical. You can even plant a tree and then jump off, and use the watering can to push them back if they already have used their up-special.
When deciding to jump off or not, I think its situational. Like I typically won't try to fight a Ganon in the air off stage because I usually get side specialized.

Also, if someone grabs the ledge, try jumping off and sling shotting them. It spikes against the stage really good.

SuperSah

Banned
Hi guys, the sole 3DS player here, lol.

Just wanted to post a video I shot. It's a 1v1 Sonic vs Falcon and I down aired with Sonic, then up aired back up, footstooled Falcon and scored a win.

Just a few seconds video and I thought it was kind of neat. Recorded it in 1080/60 for those who want to see some 60fps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hCP9IcTtqE

boxter432

Today was a day where nothing was going right, playing team for glory. I'm a little sick so I can blame that for potential slow reactions. Even within falcon or zss I felt slow vs bowser/zard today. SD'd a few times or died at very low percentages mainly due to a terrible recovery/missed button etc...Also usually had the worst player of the 4 as my partner (one guy went 0-4 and 0-2 in two games)

JCX

Whyyyyyyyyyy...

Actually, the game not remembering your name from mode to mode is just as bad. Mewtwo save us from this tyranny.

Yeah not saving names/character colors is weird, since that's one of the few things 3DS did better.

For DLC stages, I want:

Pokefloats
Fountain of Dreams
Saffron City
Termina Great Bay

Not

Banned
I was super hyped for this game up to release and then I couldn't afford a Wii U or anything and I've just been too caught up with life. I wonder when I'll finally get to play this with friends.

ngower

Are there beginner-friendly rounds that pop up regularly? I'm familiar with the series, but I don't play it as much as some of you so I don't wanna just get my ass handed to me every time.

Are there beginner-friendly rounds that pop up regularly? I'm familiar with the series, but I don't play it as much as some of you so I don't wanna just get my ass handed to me every time.

There are casual rooms hosted every now and then, but otherwise we're mainly a competitive bunch. I'm sure if you asked around or hosted a casual room yourself, though, that you'll attract like-minded GAF mates looking for a not-so-serious fun time.

Unfortunately it seems our activity has slowed down as of late, but I think that's mainly due to the holidays.

Has anyone used the Hori Gamecube controller? If so, how responsive is it?

Considering it attaches to the Wiimote and is wireless; is there any input lag when playing competitively?

I need as a temporary substitute to Gamecube controller because of the inflated adapter prices.

Mr. RPG

I just wanna get this straightened out.

Is the Mewtwo DLC only available if you register both the 3DS and Wii U versions of the game?

I have the Wii U version of the game, but there's no point in getting the vastly inferior 3DS version... I'll never play it, but I want Mewtwo so badly.

Neoxon

Is the Mewtwo DLC only available if you register both the 3DS and Wii U versions of the game?

I have the Wii U version of the game, but there's no point in getting the vastly inferior 3DS version... I'll never play it, but I want Mewtwo so badly.
It's free if you have both versions, but you have to pay & possibly wait longer if you only have one of the two versions.

ngower

My nephew has a 3DS and my sister got him Smash for Christmas. She has four kids so she throws the boxes out and just keeps the games. So there's an unused 3DS code I had access too but never was able to get in time...I want to cry every time I think about tit.

Mr. RPG

It's free if you have both versions, but you have to pay & possibly wait longer if you only have one of the two versions.

Is this confirmed or just speculation?

My nephew has a 3DS and my sister got him Smash for Christmas. She has four kids so she throws the boxes out and just keeps the games. So there's an unused 3DS code I had access too but never was able to get in time...I want to cry every time I think about tit.

Hm, you could always ask around for an unused Club Nintendo code from someone who doesn't plan on using theirs?

Top Bottom