• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

Wow, that was intense! GGs Tips, your Mega plays hard to get better than my girlfriend (;__;) and I really need to shape up my Falco because I've practically forgotten what bair looks like anymore. I had fun, and I hope you did too. :)

Good games Captain! Fun as always. Thanks for playing!

That Ike combo is still sitting with me.

Wow, that was intense! GGs Tips, your Mega plays hard to get better than my girlfriend (;__;) and I really need to shape up my Falco because I've practically forgotten what bair looks like anymore. I had fun, and I hope you did too. :)

Hah hah. I know that feeling. :x

I dunno though, your Falco felt pretty on point to me, haha. I think you had me wrapped up with Neutral A alone!

Nabster92

Bleh ended up getting 17th at Xanadu tonight. I need to play some offline people here more often

Edit: I should probably go to sleep now...but I could try to get our matches out of the way real quick now if you want InvincibleAgent.

That Ike combo is still sitting with me.

Hah hah. I know that feeling. :x

I'm going to gif that moment so I can show GAF and we can laugh at you forever.

I saved the replay.

Also shoutouts to O N L Y G E T T I N G S O M E O N T H E I R T I M E B O Y S

Bruh, I really feel like we need to play doubles at a tourney one of these days. That, or organize a GAF crew for squad battles.

Wait, one of us was at Xanadu? Man, I only wish I had that kind of competition near me. How was it? :)

Vena

Bleh ended up getting 17th at Xanadu tonight. I need to play some offline people here more often

Ooh, let us know next time and we'll root for you haha. I was there over the holiday when they had the PM/Sm4sh tournie but I didn't get very far in Sm4sh, lol.

I'm going to gif that moment so I can show GAF and we can laugh at you forever.

I saved the replay.

Also shoutouts to O N L Y G E T T I N G S O M E O N T H E I R T I M E B O Y S

Bruh, I really feel like we need to play doubles at a tourney one of these days. That, or organize a GAF crew for squad battles.

Oh boy. It's too good not to share, but fuuuuck that'll have my tag over it. Name change request PM incoming.

And hell yeah, a doubles GAF tourny would be great.

Hatchtag

Banned
oh god
I started an Amiibo fight late last night. Wanted it to last from when I went to bed until I had free time the next day. I did what I usually do-put all 6 of my Amiibo in a free-for-all, turn launch rates to .5, stocks up to 99, and picked Palutena's Temple as the stage. But this time, instead of turning all items on, I only left on healing items and S-Flags.
A couple hours after starting the match, Kirby and Pikachu were around 90 stocks, while the others were around 70.
Fast forward to 26 hours after it started. 3 of them-Fox, Captain Falcon, and Link-have been defeated. Luigi now fluctuates around 20-30 stocks. Pikachu and Kirby have bounced back up, always being around 95-99 stocks. The rate of gaining lives is now larger than the rate of losing them. No real progress has been made in 5 hours.
Do...do I leave it on? To see if they'll learn?

oh god
I started an Amiibo fight late last night. Wanted it to last from when I went to bed until I had free time the next day. I did what I usually do-put all 6 of my Amiibo in a free-for-all, turn launch rates to .5, stocks up to 99, and picked Palutena's Temple as the stage. But this time, instead of turning all items on, I only left on healing items and S-Flags.
A couple hours after starting the match, Kirby and Pikachu were around 90 stocks, while the others were around 70.
Fast forward to 26 hours after it started. 3 of them-Fox, Captain Falcon, and Link-have been defeated. Luigi now fluctuates around 20-30 stocks. Pikachu and Kirby have bounced back up, always being around 95-99 stocks. The rate of gaining lives is now larger than the rate of losing them. No real progress has been made in 5 hours.
Do...do I leave it on? To see if they'll learn?

Is it good to keep your console keep running for so long?

Nabster92

Oh great :p do you know how to edit the spreadsheet?

I still do not seem to have permission to do so even using the link from the email that says I've been given permission to edit it. I just put comments there for the score and hope that someone that has the ability to actually put it in does so.

Anyhoo, it's 3 AM and I have work tomorrow, time for bed. GG's InvincibleAgent! Try to avoid rolling as much. Most of my punishes were just hitting you after your rolls.

I still do not seem to have permission to do so even using the link from the email that says I've been given permission to edit it. I just put comments there for the score and hope that someone that has the ability to actually put it in does so.

That seems to be all I can do too. Well, it has confirmation from me now, as well. GGs!

Anyone else from BRACKET 2! I'm still behind since I was added late. Come at me!

Look what I just did for the fourth time...

qGsIfj3.jpg

:|

Look what I just did for the fourth time...

:|

Ugh, I feel your pain. I raged so hard while trying to complete that challenge. I was so relived once I finally got it. Andre (from GameXplain) makes a ton of excellent strategy videos, but I told him many times that the Cruel Smash strategy he outlined in our video didn't work nearly that well for me. :p (I'm talking about the one here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CltxztI5XM)

If it helps, when I finally did it, it was due to a combination of "our" strategy, back throws, and the one recommended for the "survive Cruel Smash as Luigi for one minute" challenge. Basically I went to one of the edges, did a back jump off the ledge, grabbed the edge, recovered when only one or two Miis were near me (and just climbed back up and jumped off again if too many were near me), did a back throw on one of them (they usually can't recover from that), and repeated that until I had three or four Miis down. Then, because that strategy is generally more dangerous than the one in our video, I switched to ours for the remainder of the Miis. Three or four minutes later, I had completed the challenge.

It still took me a ton of deeply frustrating tries to get it, though.

Thanks for the tips! I seem to have just had a stroke of luck, though:

Good thing I didn't quit after 7, as I also got the 8 KOs challenge.

Oh, both challenges were for 8? Why did people keep saying 7? Oh well. Good thing I didn't quit after 7 for BOTH of them!

jeemer

Can anyone point me to some decent tutorials / videos for the new smash? I think it was this thread I posted in a while back... Basically I got this along with a few other Wii U games at Christmas and i spent about an hour playing it before it went on the backburner.

I've got a background in traditional fighters and have never played a Smash game before. I'm not sure of mechanics, who to go, what to play, how many cpu chars to play against, fastest way to learn etc...

I thought I'd love this game (I've watched some old smash on streams before, not much of the new one) but when I played it I just found it very floaty and hit-once-get-knocked-back-run-over-again-hit-repeat. I'm finding it difficult to motivate myself to even put it back in the wii u, doesn't help that no one I know plays smash offline or online. I do want to like the game though. Can anyone help? :/

Thanks for the tips! I seem to have just had a stroke of luck, though:

Good thing I didn't quit after 7, as I also got the 8 KOs challenge.

Oh, both challenges were for 8? Why did people keep saying 7? Oh well. Good thing I didn't quit after 7 for BOTH of them!

Awesome, well done! 14 is impressive, too! I think I only got 11 or 12 when I kept going after I finally getting 8 KOs.

Anyhoo, it's 3 AM and I have work tomorrow, time for bed. GG's InvincibleAgent! Try to avoid rolling as much. Most of my punishes were just hitting you after your rolls.

5 matches and I managed to KO you twice total? Great job!

I am in the spreadsheet but I don't know how to edit.
PM me a reminder with your e-mail and bracket and I will fix the editing permissions.

Can anyone point me to some decent tutorials / videos for the new smash? I think it was this thread I posted in a while back... Basically I got this along with a few other Wii U games at Christmas and i spent about an hour playing it before it went on the backburner.

I've got a background in traditional fighters and have never played a Smash game before. I'm not sure of mechanics, who to go, what to play, how many cpu chars to play against, fastest way to learn etc...

I thought I'd love this game (I've watched some old smash on streams before, not much of the new one) but when I played it I just found it very floaty and hit-once-get-knocked-back-run-over-again-hit-repeat. I'm finding it difficult to motivate myself to even put it back in the wii u, doesn't help that no one I know plays smash offline or online. I do want to like the game though. Can anyone help? :/

If you want to avoid getting knocked back, I suggest 1: learn defense and 2: learn which attacks are quick, and use those unless you have an opening.

PM me a reminder with your e-mail and bracket and I will fix the editing permissions.

Done.

What's the highest GSP anyone's ever seen?

Have over 900,000 people really played Classic?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
If you want to avoid getting knocked back, I suggest 1: learn defense and 2: learn which attacks are quick, and use those unless you have an opening.

Done.

Have over 900,000 people really played Classic?

Yeah, I'm not surprised with that since Smash 3DS had over 1.5m. I'm not sure about numbers right now.

Beats

Hmm, if you don't mind a mostly text guide: http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/2qirf2/new_smash_4_player_faqguide/

This was posted a bit earlier in the thread and it's pretty good. It's fairly lengthy and there are four parts to it, but it covers a lot from basic techniques, general gameplay, ways to approach, combos/strings, punishing etc. There are example images and gifs throughout the guide. You don't necessarily need to know everything in the guide to really get started though. The How to Play video at the "start screen" in game covers the very basics of the gameplay and from there you can learn as you play if you want. It's mostly a fundamentals type game. Hopefully this helps. : ]

Definitely try to play people on here too if you can.

Tom_Cody

I'm at around 2.6 million on a bunch of scores on the 3DS. My scores tend to keep going up gradually, which I guess means that people are buying the game at a faster rate than people are beating my scores.

My highest scores on the Wii U version are in the hundreds of thousands. I don't know the numbers more specifically than that off the top of my head. Shockingly less than the 3DS numbers.

Tom_Cody

My advice is to play normal Smash matches with these settings:

-Items turned off
-Only on Ω levels (you can set this up on the options page so they will select automatically)

//I personally like playing with items and hazardous stages with friends, but training like this will help you build up the core skills that you will then be able to apply to other modes. This set-up strips to game down to its core so you can focus on learning the mechanics.

-1on1 versus the CPU (assuming you don't have human opponents), and work your way up the CPU levels difficulty levels.

//I get what you're saying regarding "it I just found it very floaty and hit-once-get-knocked-back-run-over-again-hit-repeat". Low level play can feel like this. As you increase your skill level and the quality of your opposition this bland pace will go away.

-Try to stick with one fighter for a good stretch to start off with. Also, choose a beginner friendly character. But don't be afraid to mix things up as you continue to play.

//This is sort of just common sense to every fighting game. Each character has tons of nuances so it will really pay off if you commit one, especially while you are starting off. In playing Smash 4 thus far, I have alternated between focusing on individual characters for long stretches (a few days to a few weeks) and playing the field in order to complete challenges. Both types of play have helped me develop my overall Smash game.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Dudley (Dudz) with fantastic Yoshi (in Glory) I would love to have more matches with you but I really have to go. :(

Your Yoshi is just stellar, and it was pretty tough to face against his egg power.

Giovanni (Gio) with Link, If you are going to diss other people through the name then make sure that you actually beat their main characters. I found it hilarious that you are wasting your time trying to diss me when I was using my random button.

I admitted that I lost to you few times with bad characters that I received from random button but it's not something that you should be proud of because you actually struggled against my bad characters.

Top Bottom