• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

How do I edit this again? I clicked link in the email and it won't let me edit it... stupid google..
PM me with your email and I will fix it. I think I didn't set permissions correctly for the new folks.

yo! right back at ya buddy, awesome games, your Megaman wicked just like last time, little blue bomber has some good grab game, had to spam more than you with Link to face him properly xD, I need to play him more with ZSS too

also I updated the ranbat document, remember to add your score too
Just do both scores. :p

Golnei

I say Lucina has the best color schemes..

If she had a Nephenee or Mia palette it'd be perfect, but they are pretty good. If only other characters had such in-depth palette swaps - even altering hair colour would much improve Palutena, Ike, Marth, Link, Zelda, Shulk, ZSS and Toon Link's referential colour options.

I dunno, I dig Pac man's oven mitts.

They are cute, but I still feel that not including a Ms. Pacman alt was a massive missed opportunity. It'd probably be a smaller change to the model than the costumes he has already...

Alright GGs Direct Quote and Tipster! They were fun matches and I got to explore some more options for me, most of all Toon Link. :) Hope to have more fun with you guys next time!!

jeemer

I'd just like to thank you again for posting this.

My advice is to play normal Smash matches with these settings:

-Items turned off
-Only on Ω levels
-1on1 versus the CPU (assuming you don't have human opponents), and work your way up the CPU levels difficulty levels.

This was also INCREDIBLY helpful, thanks. I think a number of factors were playing into the feel of "wtf is going on" and leading me to jump around aimlessly too much, and I think items played a big part in this without me realising.

The game really started to click for me last night. Obviously I'm still completely terrible at it, but the movement started making sense and more to the point I actually started to enjoy myself. It was hard to turn it off in the end!

Tom_Cody

I'd just like to thank you again for posting this.

This was also INCREDIBLY helpful, thanks. I think a number of factors were playing into the feel of "wtf is going on" and leading me to jump around aimlessly too much, and I think items played a big part in this without me realising.

The game really started to click for me last night. Obviously I'm still completely terrible at it, but the movement started making sense and more to the point I actually started to enjoy myself. It was hard to turn it off in the end!
Cool cool. Don't hesitate to ask for more advice as you continue playing.

This might be a bit beyond where you are right now but I would recommend giving this series of videos a watch as well, even if you don't apply everything immediately:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPMHyD_6uCA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUi_MvJ6nj8

Aw, that fake Mewtwo + Lucas leak has reminded me how much I miss all the pre-release speculation and debate over the authenticity of various leaks. Truly the most exciting and simultaneously most frustrating part of the pre-Smash hype cycle. Wish we could get that back, but maybe we will after Mewtwo, Miiverse, and Tournament Mode are released since we really don't know what, if anything, is coming after that.

Golnei

Aw, that fake Mewtwo + Lucas leak has reminded me how much I miss all the pre-release speculation and debate over the authenticity of various leaks. Truly the most exciting and simultaneously most frustrating part of the pre-Smash hype cycle. Wish we could get that back, but maybe we will after Mewtwo, Miiverse, and Tournament Mode are released since we really don't know what, if anything, is coming after that.

I guess we could go back to arguing about Ridley.
He still has a chance...right?

ridwinrlun4.gif

jeemer

Cool cool. Don't hesitate to ask for more advice as you continue playing.

Thank you kindly for the links! There are a few really awful noob questions I could do with some clarification on, if that's ok:

• There is no way to do a smash attack in the air, right?
  • Is it possible to chain or link into smash attacks / special moves, or is it a case of making a good read and doing one raw, or for example doing a smash on a grounded opponent who's been slammed into the ground after you've combo'd them? Maybe this is heavily character dependant. I was playing as Lucario if that makes any difference, but I'd read online I could do his neutral attack 3 times followed by a side smash, and it seemed like on the third neutral hit i always kicked them quite far away into the air. I did manage to hit the opponent on the ground with the smash sometimes, but I didn't know if they were in a hard knockdown state / if it was a true combo or not.
  • If you fall off the stage on your own, is that equal to being knocked out of the ring? I'm sure there were a couple of games last night where I won despite having knocked my opponent out once, fallen out myself once, and me having a higher % damage than them at the end.
  • In competitive play, are the customization options normally used? I saw somewhere that this affects one of a characters moves and lets you change the way they work. Seems like a cool mechanic, albeit one I shouldn't worry about right now.
  • Is bair a particularly powerful attack for everyone across the board? I watched a couple of stream games before going to sleep and it seemed to be used quite frequently according to the commentators.

Tom_Cody

Thank you kindly for the links! There are a few really awful noob questions I could do with some clarification on, if that's ok:

There is no way to do a smash attack in the air, right?
Nope.
Is it possible to chain or link into smash attacks / special moves, or is it a case of making a good read and doing one raw, or for example doing a smash on a grounded opponent who's been slammed into the ground after you've combo'd them? Maybe this is heavily character dependant. I was playing as Lucario if that makes any difference, but I'd read online I could do his neutral attack 3 times followed by a side smash, and it seemed like on the third neutral hit i always kicked them quite far away into the air. I did manage to hit the opponent on the ground with the smash sometimes, but I didn't know if they were in a hard knockdown state / if it was a true combo or not.
All combos in Smash are situational. They depend on which character you are fighting (as every character's "weight" and hitboxes are different) as well as your opponent's percentage (as percentage increases knockback). A combo that might work at 5% will not work at 120%.

Lucario adds another layer to this since his Aura system increases his damage and knockback as his own percentage increases.

For this reason I would personally recommend using someone other than Lucario as his Aura system will add another layer of complexity that you probably don't need right now. That said, if you are having fun with him, just keep at it.

If you fall off the stage on your own, is that equal to being knocked out of the ring? I'm sure there were a couple of games last night where I won despite having knocked my opponent out once, fallen out myself once, and me having a higher % damage than them at the end.
When that happens it is counted as a self-death (SD), which is scored as minus one point to you but your opponent does not get a point. This is moot if you are playing stock since only total deaths matter.

Btw, going back to my prior post, I would additionally recommend playing stock instead of time when playing matches against CPU opponents. With will give you a strong sense of the value of each life/kill.

In competitive play, are the customization options normally used? I saw somewhere that this affects one of a characters moves and lets you change the way they work. Seems like a cool mechanic, albeit one I shouldn't worry about right now.
Not at all, though some people are playing around with it. It is more about messing around with your friends and some of the specific in-game modes (Smash Run in particular).

Is bair a particularly powerful attack for everyone across the board? I watched a couple of stream games before going to sleep and it seemed to be used quite frequently according to the commentators.
It really varies from fighter to fighter. On this topic I will just say that you should practice trying to work it into your game as you get better. Same goes for tilts (when you hold a direction [up, side, or down] when attacking without initiating a smash). As a beginner, b-airs and tilts will probably be the most difficult to implement into your play, so you should just be sure to keep them in the back of your mind.

Spineker

Banned
I've narrowed by mains down to Captain Falcon, Bowser, Little Mac and Ike. They seem to be the characters that I kick the most ass with

jeemer

Btw, going back to my prior post, I would additionally recommend playing stock instead of time when playing matches against CPU opponents. With will give you a strong sense of the value of each life/kill.

Sure, I'll go for this - what is stock and how do I set it? There seem to be so many different settings depending on what part of the menus you're at!

Also, I also managed to turn off tap jump for training mode (I took a couple of minutes to try and figure out special move properties and see if I could chain attacks) but when I went back into Smash mode tap jump had returned somehow?

It really varies from fighter to fighter ... you should just be sure to keep them in the back of your mind.

Ok no worries, thanks once again for all your help.

What fighters are you playing with? Just curious.

I tried fox when I first loaded it, but that's when I had absolutely no idea what was going on. Last night I was playing Lucario all night.

Tom_Cody

I actually edited my post quiet a bit since I posted it. I'm sorry that you read it before I had finished going over it.
Sure, I'll go for this - what is stock and how do I set it? There seem to be so many different settings depending on what part of the menus you're at!
At the character select screen, click on the top where is says "Time". This will bring up a settings menu. This is also where you can choose to only fight on Ω stages (which I had mentioned in a prior post).
Also, I also managed to turn off tap jump for training mode (I took a couple of minutes to try and figure out special move properties and see if I could chain attacks) but when I went back into Smash mode tap jump had returned somehow?
Hmm. I fight with tap jump on so I don't know for sure. Some settings are tied to character profiles in the Wii U version, so you might just have to make sure that you are using your profile when fighting in "Smash" mode. You do this by clicking on the outline around where is says "player 1" on the character select screen.

I tried fox when I first loaded it, but that's when I had absolutely no idea what was going on. Last night I was playing Lucario all night.
I only noticed your comment about Lucario after I initially posted it. My edit reflects this.

IMO Kirby is probably the single best fighter for total beginners, with Link, Mario, DK, Bowser, and Charizard being pretty good as well. Overall I would just pick who you want to play with and who feels natural. The game is designed to be accessible, though each character has his nuances. As I said in my edit, Lucario will specifically make comboing more difficult due to his Aura.

I'm at around 2.6 million on a bunch of scores on the 3DS. My scores tend to keep going up gradually, which I guess means that people are buying the game at a faster rate than people are beating my scores.

My highest scores on the Wii U version are in the hundreds of thousands. I don't know the numbers more specifically than that off the top of my head. Shockingly less than the 3DS numbers.
If your GSP goes up, that means your scores are increasing or the quantity of people who are below you is increasing. So yes.

Yessir.

Edit: Though, since I haven't seen him try in the extra time I gave him, euphemism should probably be replaced.
I keep calling him out, no luck.

So I loved Melee but thought Brawl was kind of bland and tedious. Never got into it.

How does this one compare?
It's sort of an in-between in some ways, and new in others.

Next season, I could add a voting option for custom moves. If a considerable majority (3/4?) says "yes", I could add them in. It's something I'm happy to leave to the players. I don't think it's the kind of thing I should dictate.

;-) It takes about 30 minutes to finish.

The ONLY time you need to pick up the controller is when a batting/bombing contest occurs.
I think custom items would create a greater disparity between experts and mid-level players. People who get beaten would get beaten worse, etc.

Which character would you say has the very best stage recovery in the game?
I usually recommend Kirby, but Rosalina's nothing to scoff at.

Best recovery? Meta Knight. There is a reason all his specials put him in free fall.

Unfortunately aerial Din's Fire puts Zelda in free fall. Why?
Because she was too good in Brawl? :p On the other hand, Farore's Wind causes damage now.

I say Lucina has the best color schemes..
She's got some good ones, yeah. I wish Pac-Man and Sonic had more variety.

I've narrowed by mains down to Captain Falcon, Bowser, Little Mac and Ike. They seem to be the characters that I kick the most ass with
Keep trying them all out. See who you can consistently avoid being punished as.

jeemer

I actually edited my post quiet a bit since I posted it

Sorry man, my bad.

Lucario adds another layer to this since his Aura system increases his damage and knockback as his own percentage increases.

Ah yes, I did read up on him a little last night and found out about this. I wasn't aware his knockback would be affected though.

At the character select screen, click on the top where is says "Time". This will bring up a settings menu. This is also where you can choose to only fight on Ω stages

Ok cool. I was having to manually set Ω every time I went to level select!

IMO Kirby is probably the single best fighter for total beginners, with Link, Mario, DK, Bowser, and Charizard being pretty good as well.

Awesome. I'll check out one or two of these guys. I am enjoying Lucario so far, but I can definitely see how the aura could impact my learning curve. Your help here is invaluable, believe me!

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Those days were great! It was a quite wild ride for SmashGAF, so I'm pretty sure that some people might try to do same for Smash DLC. I would rather to hear that we are getting DLC for sure before I'm getting hyped for it.

I guess we could go back to arguing about Ridley.
He still has a chance...right?

ridwinrlun4.gif

Oh Dear, we are going to jump forward with Ridley Cycle. Never Forget.

SoldnerKei

so I had this random though, you guys main certain character and I am pretty sure you sub another, do your mains & subs have something you can relate between them? of course this is outside personal preference, like "they are from my fav nintendo games", stuff like that

Like for Example I main Link, sub ZSS, and enjoy a lot playing as Marth
and stuff I can relate between them is, Swords(L/M), Blondies(L/S), Pretty people(L/S/M), silent protagonist(L/S), somewat rushdown characters(M/S), somewhat similar adventure game(L/S), somewhat similar medival era/fantasy world(L/M)

just wondering because I find curious how people, let's say, Main Bowser and their sub is something like Duck Hunt or Ness, really can't find much to relate between them xD

jorgejjvr

so I had this random though, you guys main certain character and I am pretty sure you sub another, do your mains & subs have something you can relate between them? of course this is outside personal preference, like "they are from my fav nintendo games", stuff like that

Like for Example I main Link, sub ZSS, and enjoy a lot playing as Marth
and stuff I can relate between them is, Swords(L/M), Blondies(L/S), Pretty people(L/S/M), silent protagonist(L/S), somewat rushdown characters(M/S), somewhat similar adventure game(L/S), somewhat similar medival era/fantasy world(L/M)

just wondering because I find funny how people, let's say, Main Bowser and their sub is something like Duck Hunt or Ness, really can't find much to relate between them xD
My mains are complete opposites. Mac and Rob. And there's some reasoning behind it. I love playing with Mac, with him I'm always rushing in but there's some characters that are clearly bad match ups, for those I use rob, in that case I use a different strategy, I'm more layed back and use my projectiles carefully. There's some characters that are good against projectiles so I might switch to Mac and so on. I just feel like for me personally those two characters allow me to face all the different range of characters. I've been in a couple of situations where I'm playing as Mac and go on a lose streak, I don't switch characters cause I'm too hard headed and want to win with Mac xD but then I switch to rob and surprise surprise my opponent can't beat me etc

Edit: I'm down RomanceDawn, I came back two days ago also from vacation, haven't played for weeks so we are on the same boat let's do it!

I'll get on now

Top Bottom