• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

So no more balance patches for sm4sh right? Reign of Diddy?
Not necessarily no more, just that Sakirai has no plans at the moment. That can change, as we saw with the "no plans for DLC" followed by Mewtwo announcement.

As well, I think people are already developing countermeasures to the generic Diddy we see from the likes of M2K. If anything, we should worry about matchups like Diddy v. Sonic where attacks are so safe and powerful that both sides stall for that one good hit.

I'm going to be around from 8pm PST onwards tonight (2 hours after this post), if anyone in my bracket wants to d-d-d-duel.

That is:
beta_fuse
BigFwoosh
blade25 (one more win and you've got it)
not Saro... I guess?
CommanderPepper
daripad
Poltergust

Or Karsticles if you're around, though my Bowser game today seems a little shaky for some reason. Maybe not enough sleep... I'd like to fight you when I'm at 100%.
I won't be playing tonight, unfortunately.

Most of the people that have a possibility to get banned haven't posted recently in this topic.
Indeed.

Too many Diddys.=/
It always happens. People think a character is overpowered, so everyone flocks to him/her. Diddy is just what Little Mac and Rosalina were at launch.

Not necessarily no more, just that Sakirai has no plans at the moment. That can change, as we saw with the "no plans for DLC" followed by Mewtwo announcement.

As well, I think people are already developing countermeasures to the generic Diddy we see from the likes of M2K. If anything, we should worry about matchups like Diddy v. Sonic where attacks are so safe and powerful that both sides stall for that one good hit.
The funniest part about tier whores is that, after a patch (which will happen with Mewtwo, IMO - he has to adjust the game appropriately for his inclusion), they complain and say they will quit for a while, and then bandwagon on a new "top tier" character.

Ricky 7

On one hand, I understand the reasoning to pick the consensus highest tiered character to compete in tournaments. On the other hand, you end up looking like a complete tool, just trying to copy as best you can what the top Diddys do.
Yeah but it's making these tournaments so boring to watch.

It always happens. People think a character is overpowered, so everyone flocks to him/her. Diddy is just what Little Mac and Rosalina were at launch.

I don't know about that. Very few people were playing as Little Mac competitively, he's just fast, has super armor, and a blatant advantage on the only map playable in For Glory, so complaints were going to happen. Rosalina was pretty blatantly ridiculous with the Luma respawn. Whereas Diddy basically fits perfectly into what makes a good Smash Wii U character and has an absurdly fast up air with both combo and KO potential. People thought Yun would dominate Ultra Street Fighter 4, but that's obviously not the case. Rose, the character with incredibly good buttons, normals, and zoning is having vastly more success, because SF4 isn't a rushdown game.

At any rate, this Diddy Kong vs. Sonic stuff is painful. They're both so goddamn safe, it's just been going on and on.

I don't know about that. Very few people were playing as Little Mac competitively, he's just fast, has super armor, and a blatant advantage on the only map playable in For Glory, so complaints were going to happen. Rosalina was pretty blatantly ridiculous with the Luma respawn. Whereas Diddy basically fits perfectly into what makes a good Smash Wii U character and has an absurdly fast up air with both combo and KO potential.

People thought Yun would dominate Ultra Street Fighter 4, but that's obviously not the case. Rose, the character with incredibly good buttons, normals, and zoning is having vastly more success, because SF4 isn't a rushdown game.
USF4 is still pretty rush down focused, but it's more set ups based (hell Rose has orb setups, and good frame traps). Yun took 2nd in the Canada Cup this weekend, and E. Ryu 1st. I think the Diddy issue will be a wait and see approach, but I wouldn't be surprised like Karsticles said that they might tweak some things with the dlc.

So do bonus effects overlap? For example, if I used both the "Speed Skater" and "Sprinter" bonus stats in a single custom set, would the running speed be multiplied by 1.95x or just 1.5x?
Also, with amiibo, could you keep using equipment with good bonuses (that have subtract more stats than they add) to completely tank all the stats of the amiibo?

I'm trying to come up with a way to make the worst trained amiibo possible. Here are my thoughts:
Take a Little Mac amiibo and lower his stats with the above method until you've hit the negative cap (assuming there is one). Then give him these three bonuses: 0.7x midair jump height, 1.4x fall speed, and decreased edge grabbing distance. To top it off, give him the custom up special that decreases vertical distance, the Rising Smash.
At this point, I have a few branching ideas. Training could be done by either giving him no competition (either killing yourself repeatedly or taunting until he kills you) or by making him think he's someone else (like Rosalina & Luma, or someone with good recovery) until level 50 is reached. While they still learn after level 50, they don't do it as much as they would at lower levels. Once you're done, you've gotten a truly crappy amiibo.
A variation on this would just be to pump up Little Mac's stats to favor power and defense, making him a glass cannon. That way he's not completely worthless.

This is all purely hypothetical; I don't intend on buying a Little Mac amiibo, and would have a hard time getting it too.

The first question I asked regarding stat stacking is about getting a Sonic amiibo to reach maximum speed. With a +200 boost and 1.95x the running speed, how fast do you think he'd be?

You mean 2008-2014 and then again when the Wii U version came out. 3DS was played mostly on Battlefield.

well yeah duh, Smashville wasn't an option on the 3DS, if it was you'd see it used more than any other stage too

Which is unfortunate. It further emphasizes the immaturity of the Smash community

oh no, bandwagoning top tiers is so embarrassing, cause no other community ever does it /s

USF4 is still pretty rush down focused, but it's more set ups based (hell Rose has orb setups, and good frame traps). Yun took 2nd in the Canada Cup this weekend, and E. Ryu 1st. I think the Diddy issue will be a wait and see approach, but I wouldn't be surprised like Karsticles said that they might tweak some things with the dlc.

Well, Ultra's metagame has been kind of a clusterfuck. We have characters who were previously ignored winning tournaments (El Fuerte and Rose) for various reasons, a lot of weird shit with Elena and Poison, Evil Ryu basically being an upgraded Ryu. Kazunoko has always played Yun and always been pretty dominant, just that Yun was so ignored in AE 2012. You can't exactly say Dudley is becoming more prominent, but Smug is finally playing in and winning majors, so we'll have to see how Dudley develops in the metagame. Nobody plays him like Smug does, so it's hardly "Dudley is actually good," Dudley has been "good" for a while, though he had awful footsies and frames in some previous versions. There was just barely anyone who played him with the dedication and mix of patience/ aggression that Smug does.

With Smash Bros, we kind of know what happens. Nobody is surprised to see Bowser having gone from "MAYBE TOP TIER" to unused (vastly better than previous Bowsers but still not, you know, top tier), for Sheik to have immediately emerged on top. We know what makes a good character and they're pretty much flying straight to the top. Fast, strong aerials and good air control both are huge deciding factors, which is why Luigi is making his way to the top, and Captain Falcon, despite being fast, is... not. Diddy Kong has the air control, he has the damage and the KO potential, he's not going to lose them without a nerf, and I just don't see how he's going to fall from his current position.
What kinda bugs me about Rosalina is that she wasn't top tier because those players were just so good at using the Luma separation mechanic, just that her smashes and aerials are really strong in addition to broken crap like 8-second respawn and nearly-immune to grabs and projectiles.

well yeah duh, Smashville wasn't an option on the 3DS, if it was you'd see it used more than any other stage too

oh no, bandwagoning top tiers is so embarrassing, cause no other community ever does it /s

I didn't say embarrassing. I think it's a problem, particularly for mid level players who do it and don't properly develop because they don't understand the nuances of the game to make them a good player to a great player. The insistence of players of all levels to choose smashville 90% of the time is also a huge issue, and is lazy. /not s

I didn't say embarrassing. I think it's a problem, particularly for mid level players who do it and don't properly develop because they don't understand the nuances of the game to make them a good player to a great player. The insistence of players of all levels to choose smashville 90% of the time is also a huge issue, and is lazy. /not s

Oh yes, jumping to top tiers or "flavor of the month" characters really hurts the development of new players because often they'll rely more on gimmicks and generic bnb stuff rather than understand fundamentals that apply to all characters. It's sad, but common and not something I'd expect would cease anytime soon.

As for stage selection, I think the problem lies in players not having an agreed-upon ruleset to pick stages from, and from conservative or newer players not willing to try alternatives considering Smashville a "safe" stage. Personally, I think the counterpick system is mostly to blame, but that's another discussion. We need education on how other stages contribute to the overall meta and can aid players in tipping a matchup to his/her advantage, otherwise we're just gonna see For Glory + Animal Crossing, which I do not agree with.

Pumped for the results of Beef vs. Blackmage.

Though not as much as Blackmage vs. Shamrock.

My prediction:
Blackmage > Beef, Shamrock > Blackmage.

Cronox

Banned
I'm around now, bracket peeps...

beta_fuse
BigFwoosh
blade25 (one more win and you've got it)
CommanderPepper
daripad
Poltergust

Great games, Beef! Gutsy move with Little Mac at the end there, sorry it got Battlefield :x

Your Villager is pretty great though, and Falco, well, he always gives me trouble!

Did you wanna do some friendlies?

if anyone has 3DS version club nintendo code for sale (US), please PM me

Question regarding amiibos

1) whats the highest level these can reach?

2) any other means to use these outaide of 8 player smash mode?
1) Level 50.

2) You can play with them in regular Smash and Special Smash modes, and as they fight you can collect gifts from them like gold and custom moves, but at the moment that's it for this game.

Goodness it's late. '~' I hope I can play some of you guys in the morning!

Hey do you have any suggestions for Palutena for catching side rolls?
Any time someone rolls and you are playing any character, it is a free grab if you aren't doing anything.

Otherwise, IMO, Palutena should be spacing with fairs and jabs, not chasing people down. She wants to control space, not get in your face. If you can ffall her fair consistently (I can't), it's by far her best tool. It looks like a tridash'd attack when you do it right, and creates a wall of hitboxes for the opponent to deal with.

Top Bottom