• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

I wish they included multiple "playlists" to select from when both playing and spectating. I ONLY want to spectate 2v2 For Glory, but I like to play For Fun.

Someone recorded that I lost to JnWake. This in in error, I haven't played matches against JnWake yet. I have only played matches against Nabster and Karsticles so far, something I can rectify over the next 2 days.

It is possible someone meant to put that 0 in a different row.

I choose Smashville because it's the best stage. If you said there aren't enough good stages in the game, I would agree with you.
Feel free to rectify it.

I could join in if you'd like to fill in some slots, I've been wanting to get more practice/matches in anyways so I'd welcome the opportunity to jump in and play.

More than likely I'll be adding to someone's win tally anyways though lol.
Send me a PM with your gmail, and I will see what happens after I kick some folks.

one_kill

So I'm trying to do the 8 characters on All-Star on Hard challenge. I've done 5 (Ike, Ganondorf, Kirby, King Dedede, and Little Mac) and need 3 more. One of them is going to be Duck Hunt because of the challenge. Who else is good for this?

Send me a PM with your gmail, and I will see what happens after I kick some folks.

I'm only just now starting to have some free time again after a long stretch of being absolutely buried with work. May still not be quite out of the woods yet, but I'll throw out there that I might be able to fill in a slot if you need more punching bags.

So I'm trying to do the 8 characters on All-Star on Hard challenge. I've done 5 (Ike, Ganondorf, Kirby, King Dedede, and Little Mac) and need 3 more. One of them is going to be Duck Hunt because of the challenge. Who else is good for this?
Ness and Diddy, perhaps? Ness absorbs projectiles and has good throws, and Diddy is Diddy. You should feel no shame going full tier-whore on cpus.

Not that much emphasis should be placed on the tiers or anything, but being kind of out of the loop for the past month at least, I was kind of curious -- having watched a bit of tourney footage on 4 but nothing extensive -- about what happened to Rosalina. I'm sure she hasn't been completely abandoned as no doubt someone can link to prominent Rosa players out there, but I vaguely remember her being regarded as a top tier character near the end of the 3DS version's prominence prior to the Wii U release, and now I barely notice her being used anymore. Not that I'm a Rosa player at all, I was just curious. Has she fallen out of favor, or am I just not watching the right matches?

Not that much emphasis should be placed on the tiers or anything, but being kind of out of the loop for the past month at least, I was kind of curious -- having watched a bit of tourney footage on 4 but nothing extensive -- about what happened to Rosalina. I'm sure she hasn't been completely abandoned as no doubt someone can link to prominent Rosa players out there, but I vaguely remember her being regarded as a top tier character near the end of the 3DS version's prominence prior to the Wii U release, and now I barely notice her being used anymore. Not that I'm a Rosa player at all, I was just curious. Has she fallen out of favor, or am I just not watching the right matches?
I believe it has to do with Diddy falling into favor and people favoring other characters if they weren't getting results with Rosalina. For example, I've noticed Sonic and Luigi getting a lot of attention lately, and there's been talk of the Space Animals gaining prominence. Rosalina is still regarded as a good character, though. I'm sure you'll see plenty of her at Apex.

Vena

She's top of the bunch but hard to play.

Diddy, Sheik, Rosa, Luigi, Ness, Sanic, Falcon, Pikachu, all see lots of top-level play.

Olimar, Mario, Shulk, Villager, MegaMan, Lucina (Marth who?), Fox, Falco (and his rumored cancel techs), Lucario, Charizard (hard as nails sliding techs), G&W, DDD, Pit/Dark Pit, and a few others that escape my memory, are all decent to good and seen regularly in high level play. Olimar in particular sees more and more play as he's becoming a very strong Diddy counter-pick.

I realize that I listed more than half of the roster...

SoldnerKei

I believe it has to do with Diddy falling into favor and people favoring other characters if they weren't getting results with Rosalina. For example, I've noticed Sonic and Luigi getting a lot of attention lately, and there's been talk of the Space Animals gaining prominence. Rosalina is still regarded as a good character, though. I'm sure you'll see plenty of her at Apex.

now this is something I didn't know... will it be Melee again?!
P:

Shulk, Lucina (Marth who?), Fox, Falco (and his rumored cancel techs)

nice, I'll look out for some matches with those

Vena

I clearly haven't been paying enough attention. When did Olimar attain the status of not garbage-tier?

Since Brawl? He's never been bad.

His options in Sm4sh counter everything Diddy can do, and his moves have higher priority/reach than everything Diddy can do. He's also light so he's not d-throw/uair combo food.

Since Brawl? He's never been bad.

I meant in 4. A lot of the early chatter I had seen in 4 was that he was changed for the worse in this one. Couple that with never seeing him used in competitive play (again, I may just not be watching the right streams), and I just assumed he was regarded as a poor character.

Vena

I meant in 4. A lot of the early chatter I had seen in 4 was that he was changed for the worse in this one. Couple that with never seeing him used in competitive play (again, I may just not be watching the right streams), and I just assumed he was regarded as a poor character.

He's nerfed in that his Pikmin count is down and his moves aren't nearly as over the top with shorter range. Less damage over all per move, but they are much more consistent now.

But now he has a good recovery, purple/white are much more frequent as plucking is no longer random, red is strong f-smash, and the Pikmin in general wrack up damage very quickly in Sm4sh. He's got poor match-ups against swordfighters though, because they have reach that will kill Pikmin without giving them a cling-box to stick too. His moves come out faster too.

Kind of sad to see Olimar how he is, but then again fuck Brawl Olimar. Those smashes were bananas.

Falco has been retooled far too much to compare to Melee, he's not even the same character he was in Melee.

I'm only just now starting to have some free time again after a long stretch of being absolutely buried with work. May still not be quite out of the woods yet, but I'll throw out there that I might be able to fill in a slot if you need more punching bags.
Would you be able to make up 4 weeks worth of matches you've missed? If so, PM me your e-mail address and NNID, and I can sub you in.

Rosalina is still considered very good, but Diddy Kong is very good and extremely easy to play.

I clearly haven't been paying enough attention. When did Olimar attain the status of not garbage-tier?
He only has merit now, according to most people, because he can counter Diddy Kong. He isn't regarded as a strong character in general.

Doorman

Since people were discussing tournament stages on the last page, I'm curious: what is the reason given for why the Pilotwings stage is banned? Unless there's some massive thing I'm missing, it just transitions between the two plane styles, both of which seem pretty tame layout-wise. Lylat Cruise and Third-form Castle Siege both have tilting platforms, so that's an unlikely reason (hell, Siege also includes a walk-off phase which is normally not allowed). It doesn't have any damage-inducing hazards like Halberd. What's the deal?

I wouldn't mind seeing Gamer on there too, maybe even Wii Fit Studio or Colosseum as a counterpick despite the aversion to walk-offs. It would really force a lot of adaptations in strategy and character use, and I don't inherently look at that as a bad thing.

Top Bottom