• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

I banned two more players for not playing their matches today:
Saro
Euphemism

I don't plan on replacing them unless someone with a lot of dedication wants in, as they would have to make up 4 weeks of matches at this point. I'm fine with just putting "X"s where their matches should be.

The following players may be banned from participation for not completing their matches:
Mistouze(Mistouze)
Monster Zero(KingGhidra)
MrSaturn99(Alagunder)
PhoenixDawn(Hyrule_Hero)
zruben(zruben)
BumblebeeCody(64BitHero)
JulianImp(JulianImp)

If I have to ban enough, I might consolidate two brackets. Brackets 3 and 5 have a lot of people lacking in participation

Download a Google Sheets program. I added your loss in against CmdPpr for you.

When does the ranbat end?

jorgejjvr

Wasn't even thinking of a counter. Just going through my 'subs'. But yeah, cape :)
Omg my brother accidentally turned off the wii u trying to charge the 3ds on the wall sorry about that! Anyways had to go soon, great games namizake, you are awesome!!! Need to do it again sometime. That was fun

Omg my brother accidentally turned off the wii u trying to charge the 3ds on the wall sorry about that! Anyways had to go soon, great games namizake, you are awesome!!! Need to do it again sometime. That was fun

That's okay, I probably played longer than I should have anyway. Great games! I haven't played you since early 3DS days, and you are still really good :)

Ozium

How many updates are we expecting? Miiverse Stage, Mewtwo, Sharing features, balance changes...

I'm kind of worried that they will just do one big update with all of these things in Spring and then call it complete :/

This a little off-topic, but still relevant.

I am doing a physics project on the physics of Super Smash Bros. It will be a PowerPoint and include videos of in-game examples of the physics. Last year, I did it on 3D World and Ii think it went well. It is a high school physics course, so not super complicated (well... it is to me xD), just at least two of the following units:

Kinematics
Dynamics
Wave Nature of Light
Fields (Gravitational, Electrical [haven't learned yet], and Magnetic [haven't learned yet])

I know I am going to do kinematics, fields, and dynamics. This will include stuff like throwing items, falling, jumping, hitting, moving, gravitational field intensity, momentum, energy, and more. I am wondering if anyone else has any other ideas for this. I don't know how many people here know physics, but any bit will help!

Vena

I know I am going to do kinematics, fields, and dynamics. This will include stuff like throwing items, falling, jumping, hitting, moving, gravitational field intensity, momentum, energy, and more. I am wondering if anyone else has any other ideas for this. I don't know how many people here know physics, but any bit will help!

I'm nearly done my doctorate at this point so I think I know some stuff!

It sounds like you've more or less outlined a pretty sizable project already, but from a basic kinematics perspective I'd suggest looking more deeply into how mass/weight (assume standard gravity) relate against knockback. You can use this to show a semi-sort of momentum principal in that a given impulse of force (choose any particular smash attack as your standard candle) you should get a given momentum change but the velocity of the object hit will vary with weight.

You can do this across the whole roster and use it to establish the weight classes in a scientific manner without apriori knowledge. You can then do the whole roster's, for example, forward smash and find out how they rank in terms of impulse. If you really want to go the extra mile, use Pikachu's Thunder against whatever your standard candle smash attack was chosen as mentioned before, and try to calculate the energy/power/wattage (your choice) of the Thunder. :p

JCX

How many updates are we expecting? Miiverse Stage, Mewtwo, Sharing features, balance changes...

I'm kind of worried that they will just do one big update with all of these things in Spring and then call it complete :/

Just in time to announce DLC for the holidays!
believe

I'm nearly done my doctorate at this point so I think I know some stuff!

It sounds like you've more or less outlined a pretty sizable project already, but from a basic kinematics perspective I'd suggest looking more deeply into how mass/weight (assume standard gravity) relate against knockback. You can use this to show a semi-sort of momentum principal in that a given impulse of force (choose any particular smash attack as your standard candle) you should get a given momentum change but the velocity of the object hit will vary with weight.

You can do this across the whole roster and use it to establish the weight classes in a scientific manner without apriori knowledge. You can then do the whole roster's, for example, forward smash and find out how they rank in terms of impulse. If you really want to go the extra mile, use Pikachu's Thunder against whatever your standard candle smash attack was chosen as mentioned before, and try to calculate the energy/power/wattage (your choice) of the Thunder. :p

Wasn't expecting this kind of respond; this is great!

Just to make sure I fully understand (tell me if I get anything wrong):

You say assume standard gravity, but do you mean assume the game's gravity or the gravity being the same as Earth?. Originally, I was going to calculate gravity by having a character of know height for scale (say, Pikachu), even though Smash isn't to scale, then I would find the # of frames of a fall, getting the fall time, and using d = 1/2at^2 to solve for a, and a would = g.

In addition to this gravity, I was also going to test the difference between a normal stage and the Mario Galaxy stage. I could also test knock-back in this stage to see how it has changed from the calculated weight classes.

Impulse is FΔt = mΔv, and in this scenario initial velocity is 0, so I just have to use a video analysis program (we use Tracker) to find the velocity after impact. Because FΔt is constant, I don't really need to worry about this.

So I hit the whole roster with the same smash attack, and classify them based on velocities, as that will define their weight class (higher velocity, lower weight).

So, ranking the impulses of different forward smashes would be using the attack with all the characters on one specific character or weight class, and determining the increase in impulse? For example, Lucario hits Pikachu with a velocity of 5 m/s, and this is defined as an impulse of 1. Ganondorf hits with a velocity of 18 m/s, so this is an impulse of 3.6. Am I understanding this correctly?

I don't know if I understand your Thunder idea. What would I be looking for when I hit a character with Thunder? Would the kinetic energy of the character hit by the thunder be equal to the kinetic energy of the thunder?

Thanks a lot, though! If you're interested, I still have my project on Super Mario 3D World from last year if you wanted to take a look. I am probably going to go in a similar direction, just with more knowledge and topics than grade 11. Also, a better PP style because I don't like it anymore :D

Good games, direct_quote! Sorry for ending it early. For some reason I'm feeling tired. Nice Palutena! I think I'm a bit nervous going against her because of this really strong girl in my scene who uses a rather brutal one.

Excellent! Feel free to host!

Er, my NNID is the same as my GAF name.
Ok ggs AnkiRendan, anyone from bracket 3 want to play, or anyone in general want to play 1v1s.

Good games, direct_quote! Sorry for ending it early. For some reason I'm feeling tired. Nice Palutena! I think I'm a bit nervous going against her because of this really strong girl in my scene who uses a rather brutal one.
Lol ok understandable. Your Lucina was pretty nice. I think you need to integrate more short hop slashes though it's what I see Broly Leg's Lucina do all the time.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Oh Namikaze I meant to say I thought it was hilarious the other day when you just gave up as Bowser against my Ganondorf.

Vena

Wasn't expecting this kind of respond; this is great!

Expect the unexpected, then when something mundane happens... you'll be surprised.

You say assume standard gravity, but do you mean assume the game's gravity or the gravity being the same as Earth?. Originally, I was going to calculate gravity by having a character of know height for scale (say, Pikachu), even though Smash isn't to scale, then I would find the # of frames of a fall, getting the fall time, and using d = 1/2at^2 to solve for a, and a would = g.

I meant to use a standardized gravity on a stage. This can either be a calculated value or you can just say "assuming Earth". It's more interesting to calculate it, though, so do that and then compare it over several stages (as you suggested) and see if any stages, in particular, stand out. There will likely be a common gravity that you'll find.

In this same way (well, similar really), you can also calculate the friction of the stages in Omega mode, if you wish. They are different from stage to stage.

Impulse is FΔt = mΔv, and in this scenario initial velocity is 0, so I just have to use a video analysis program (we use Tracker) to find the velocity after impact. Because FΔt is constant, I don't really need to worry about this.

Impulse is the change in momentum, yes. I prefer [I = Δp], its more general.

So I hit the whole roster with the same smash attack, and classify them based on velocities, as that will define their weight class (higher velocity, lower weight).

So, ranking the impulses of different forward smashes would be using the attack with all the characters on one specific character or weight class, and determining the increase in impulse? For example, Lucario hits Pikachu with a velocity of 5 m/s, and this is defined as an impulse of 1. Ganondorf hits with a velocity of 18 m/s, so this is an impulse of 3.6. Am I understanding this correctly?

Yes, you've got the right idea.

I don't know if I understand your Thunder idea. What would I be looking for when I hit a character with Thunder? Would the kinetic energy of the character hit by the thunder be equal to the kinetic energy of the thunder?

Consider that thunder discharges around Pikachu in a half-circle area around him, and for the sake of the problem, pretend that the energy is evenly distributed over the area of the circle. You know how long the hit box lingers, so Pikachu is discharging a set amount of energy over a set amount of time that results in a set amount of launch power. If an object starts from rest and gets propelled outward at a certain velocity, then you have a change in Kinetic Energy. But only a portion of the energy would, in theory, be getting transfered from the thunder strike to the target as they would not cover all 180 degrees of the half-circle around Pikachu.

That change in KE came from the electrical discharge causing kinetic movement (usually, the electricity isn't causing you to move but creating other affects in the area around it that push you after the fact, but that's getting overly detailed). Work backwards from there to find the energy of the thunder or its power (since you know how long thunder lasts frame to frame).

Thanks a lot, though! If you're interested, I still have my project on Super Mario 3D World from last year if you wanted to take a look. I am probably going to go in a similar direction, just with more knowledge and topics than grade 11. Also, a better PP style because I don't like it anymore :D

You can send it to me in a PM.

Top Bottom