• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

RomanceDawn

Already have you, lol. Room is up, NNID: TesVena

Vena GGs that was fun!

A bit of advice against my DK and Bowser, I'm a sucker for counter attacks and cape against Bowser's recovery absolutely wrecks him. It's tough on DK too but not nearly as much.

I wish I could use Charizard like one of the other guys here. I forget who it was but he made Charizard move like Sonic I swear!

Vena

Vena GGs that was fun!

A bit of advice against my DK and Bowser, I'm a sucker for counter attacks and cape against Bowser's recovery absolutely wrecks him. It's tough on DK too but not nearly as much.

I wish I could use Charizard like one of the other guys here. I forget who it was but he made Charizard move like Sonic I swear!

Oh. Good call on the recoveries, lol.

I was trying to figure out Doc's best way on recovering since he's got a terrible up-special for recovering. Somehow Doc Tornado is probably the trick.

I love playing your DK, though, such great control of the field.

Jrs3000

Oh. Good call on the recoveries, lol.

I was trying to figure out Doc's best way on recovering since he's got a terrible up-special for recovering. Somehow Doc Tornado is probably the trick.

I love playing your DK, though, such great control of the field.

You up for some matches?

Goodlife

Got Smash for Christmas, having never played it before.

Haven't had too much chance to play, but the little I did play I though "this is shit". I had no real idea of what was happening and was confused as to why people say Smash isn't a button masher as all I could see I needed to do was press the one attack button and hope for the best.

Last night I had a spare hour, so thought I'd try again.

Played a bit of 1 on 1 as I thought I'd be able to get to grips with it a bit more when it's less frantic.

Suddenly it clicked and I'm now in love with it :) Started winning matches and actually paying attention as to what I need to do and what attacks work best in which situations. Then moved on to 4 player and although it's still a bit "WTF is happening" at times, it's great.

Couple of questions though......

CPU players seem to "hang" off the edge of the platform at times.... how do you do that?

And still don't understand the mechanics of the smash ball. How do I pick it up? Seems to bob around a bit but can't work out how I use it? And what relevance does the %'s have to the final smash? i.e. should I only look to use it when I've got a low %, or does it make no difference?

I don't understand how anyone could think Smash Bros is a button masher. Most attacks don't move you anywhere and they need to be done deliberately. Mashing buttons the way you might in Tekken will just make your character do random tilts while standing in place and occasionally jump.

You just have to approach a ledge and your character will automatically grab it when they're close enough. Learn to wait until your character is below the ledge and then use your up B to jump and grab it. It's harder for people to knock you out of the air when you do that, though you have to mix up when you recover and what move you use to recover (some characters can use side B as well as up B) if they keep knocking you out of the air before you land on the stage.

And you have to attack a Smash Ball and get the last hit on it to get it. Some Final Smashes are basically guaranteed KO's, while some need at least some percent to get a KO.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member

Haven't had too much chance to play, but the little I did play I though "this is shit". I had no real idea of what was happening and was confused as to why people say Smash isn't a button masher as all I could see I needed to do was press the one attack button and hope for the best.

Played a bit of 1 on 1 as I thought I'd be able to get to grips with it a bit more when it's less frantic.

Suddenly it clicked and I'm now in love with it :) Started winning matches and actually paying attention as to what I need to do and what attacks work best in which situations. Then moved on to 4 player and although it's still a bit "WTF is happening" at times, it's great.

CPU players seem to "hang" off the edge of the platform at times.... how do you do that?

And still don't understand the mechanics of the smash ball. How do I pick it up? Seems to bob around a bit but can't work out how I use it? And what relevance does the %'s have to the final smash? i.e. should I only look to use it when I've got a low %, or does it make no difference?

Smash Acadamy on Youtube could be a nice start

I'm not very good at Super Smash Bros.
... like a lot of fighting games.

But... I don't know quite where to start. I don't suppose any of you would know of some good resources on how to get better?

I'm sure this is probably asked a lot.. so I'm sorry. ^^;;

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Seems like Play-Asia will be sending the mayflash wired Wii U Gamecube Controller Adapter tomorrow.

Finally, the Smash Gamecube controller has been collecting dust here for a long time now :(

I bet I chose the wrong row when registering my match against Salva. Woops!

We'll have to play soon if the 0 was really a mistake though ;)

I bet it was.
Well, I'll be available at various points over the next 30 hours.

Ledges: You grab them automatically. When trying to get back, your character will grab a ledge if they are close enough. Either press Up, Attack or Jump to get back up onto the platform.

Smash Ball: It takes about 50 pts damage. Whoever gives it its last attack inherits the Final Smash.

I'm not very good at Super Smash Bros.
... like a lot of fighting games.

But... I don't know quite where to start. I don't suppose any of you would know of some good resources on how to get better?

I'm sure this is probably asked a lot.. so I'm sorry. ^^;;
Go into training mode and press some buttons.

Games & More > Solo > Training

Oh, you don't know how to shield? Watch the "How To Play" video. Go to the main screen and let the controller go idle for a few minutes, it's one of 3 things that will play in sequence.

Better to just go to the videos section, which is in Games & More > Vault(?) > Videos or something like that. No point wasting time being idle.

Oh, dear. I didn't read this thread enough before posting. It looks like people were already talking about this sort of thing before I posted.

Those Super Smash Academy videos sound interesting. Thank you all. I'll try watching those and hope to learn something new and get better.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
High, IMO. Even if it's just a preview of tournament mode, etc.

Probably Mewtwo stuff. Hopefully.

----------------------

So Charizard, Kirby, and Meta Knight can one shot Megaman by using his Crash Bomb against him with Uthrow. It's a double-edged sword though.

Hopefully, Mewtwo, but I'm not holding my breath.

Updated Ranbats Kick/Ban List:
Bracket(Sundull)
BumblebeeCody(64BitHero)
egruntz(egruntz)
euphemism(Triforceofwisdom)
Fury Sense(raymondgh)
Hyperhip(iNFAMESS)
jorgejjvr(jorgejjvr)
JulianImp(JulianImp)
Mistouze(Mistouze)
Monster Zero(KingGhidra)
MrSaturn99(Alagunder)
Phaonaut(phaonaut)
PhoenixDawn(Hyrule_Hero)
Saro(Saro64)
SquirrelNuckle(SquirrelNuckle)
Tesseract(Tesseract19)
Timeaisis(Timeaisis)
zruben(zruben)

TWILT

Banned
All them bans lol. I'm pretty much done my bracket 5 matches assuming no replacements are gonna happen.

Season 2, supporting custom moves all the way. \o/

But I'm really hoping Mewtwo can be fun. I need more characters that kinda fit the mold of who I want to play.
No doubt. I actually strongly prefer characters with projectiles. There just aren't any villains with projectiles in this game...except Dedede, but I don't want to smack myself in the face with a Gordo.

All them bans lol. I'm pretty much done my bracket 5 matches assuming no replacements are gonna happen.

Season 2, supporting custom moves all the way. \o/
Cleaning house!

A few brackets are close to done as a result of this. I assume that some brackets will finish within the next couple of weeks as a result.

Season 2 will have a YES/NO polling option for customs.

JoeInky

No doubt. I actually strongly prefer characters with projectiles. There just aren't any villains with projectiles in this game...except Dedede, but I don't want to smack myself in the face with a Gordo.

Gordos alone are proof enough to me that giving Ganondorf an easily reflectable tennis ball projectile is a bad idea, no matter how true to character it is.

Gordo's alone are proof enough to me that giving Ganondorf an easily reflectable tennis ball projectile is a bad idea, no matter how true to character it is.
I wonder if people would consider it enough of a homage if Ganondorf could just use his jab to punch any projectile back.

JoeInky

I wonder if people would consider it enough of a homage if Ganondorf could just use his jab to punch any projectile back.

Slap on some super armour frames on the startup and it would make Ganondorf a much better character.

Which means it's never going to happen.

PM did it right with the cape reflect and levitate ability, made the character much more like Ganondorf from OoT and it gave him some pretty good options.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I like the PM float thing but honestly I would just love it if they gave Ganondorf Peach's Hover mechanic.

The Cape thing is neat but I feel making Jab reflect projectiles would make Ganondorf much better.

But as you said Joe. Because of how great it would make Ganon it won't ever happen.

Been saying this for the past year.

JP

OK, please don't laugh at me!

First Smash Bros. so I feel completely lost in this partly because there are so many different sections in the game and also because there's so going on on the screen at the same time. I just feel that I have no idea what the hell is going on and although I do win sometimes I don't feel it's anything to do with me.

What's game mode should I start on and can people maybe recommend videos that would give me a head start with this? Thanks.

I think the next bracket should be condensed, length wise. Instead of one per week, I say make it a month thing. Start it at the beginning of the month, and everyone has to finish te bracket by the end of the month.

JoeInky

Wily Castle would be the best stage in the game if it wasn't for the Yellow Devil.

Looks fantastic, has semi random platform setups that make for a dynamic game and it's the only stage where I don't have atleast one song turned off.

I wonder if we'd have a stage hazard toggle instead of omega mode if PSABR never happened, the reasoning behind that decision seems like such bullshit to me.

I think the next bracket should be condensed, length wise. Instead of one per week, I say make it a month thing. Start it at the beginning of the month, and everyone has to finish te bracket by the end of the month.
Well, coming from a teaching background, I think of it like this:
If you tell students "Have all the homework to me by the end of the unit", the vast majority of the students will cram all the homework in at the last second. A lot of it just won't get done at all.

If you tell students "Do this assignment tonight, and this assignment tomorrow", most students will keep up on the brief, day-to-day assignments better. Chunking responsibilities usually leads to better success than letting people do it whenever they want.

Also, 1/week leads to 2 months, while a 1-month bracket means people are playing twice as often. I think it's important to respect various schedules and how often people can play. Personally, I work 60 hours/week and go to school part-time, so one match a week isn't always easy for me to squeeze out. You seem to have a lot of gaming time, Shamrock, which might affect how viable you think that time frame is.

Other opinions are welcome, of course.

Well, coming from a teaching background, I think of it like this:
If you tell students "Have all the homework to me by the end of the unit", the vast majority of the students will cram all the homework in at the last second. A lot of it just won't get done at all.

If you tell students "Do this assignment tonight, and this assignment tomorrow", most students will keep up on the brief, day-to-day assignments better. Chunking responsibilities usually leads to better success than letting people do it whenever they want.

Also, 1/week leads to 2 months, while a 1-month bracket means people are playing twice as often. I think it's important to respect various schedules and how often people can play. Personally, I work 60 hours/week and go to school part-time, so one match a week isn't always easy for me to squeeze out. You seem to have a lot of gaming time, Shamrock, which might affect how viable you think that time frame is.

Other opinions are welcome, of course.

Well I work about 50 hours of week and freelance on the side while keeping a workout schedule every day of at least 1 1/2 hours, so my gaming time isn't substantial by normal standards. I would imagine the average time it takes to complete a set ranges from 20-30 minutes. I don't think it would be asking too much to dedicate 1 hour per week to playing your matches. It's not a big deal overall. My reasoning is the longer the time it takes to complete the ranbats, the greater risk you run of people quietly losing interest and dropping out or going AWOL.

Am I the only one disappointed that Shin Megami Tensei has no representation in Smash4 after SMT4 was one of the megaton 3DS exclusives of 2013, complete with Nintendo co-marketing it?

I mean, Flynn surely could have made it in as a Robin clone or something.

Beats

It works with ZSS's Neutral Air, but she could already get a lot of followups without it. The percent range to perform them should get bigger with the tech though.

So it's hitting with an air attack on the first frame it comes out then landing immediately afterwards?
It would seem that's the case. The shorter hitlag will override the longer landing lag on hit, giving characters with soecific options like Falco more followups.

Of course, you'd actually have to hit someone with an approaching dair, which is asking for a lot against experienced players. :/

Tripon

get

Vena

It would seem that's the case. The shorter hitlag will override the longer landing lag on hit, giving characters with soecific options like Falco more followups.

Of course, you'd actually have to hit someone with an approaching dair, which is asking for a lot against experienced players. :/

I don't think its overriding anything, they are simply occurring concurrently and for this reason the laggier moves with the big hitstun are the ones that get the biggest visible benefits from it. The hitlag comes out as your hitting the ground, so instead of having [hit lag -> land -> landing lag], you have [hit lag || landing lag] at the same time. Similarly, if you try this with Falco's fair, you still get lagg frames because of how the move works when you hit the ground and flop.

It makes sense from a common sense perspective... why would you lag for landing if you've already landed? First hitbox has to come out as you land, the other hitboxes seemingly cancel if its multi-hit, and you are on the ground while all the lag plays out at the same time. The models of the characters seemingly react to this as well, if you look at Falcon or Ganon in slow-mo, they have their feet on the ground while executing their move all the same.

I wouldn't call it intentional but I wouldn't call it a glitch, either.

Top Bottom