• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

Ggs, your Palutena is definitely one of the best, and that Lucina wasn't too shabby either.
I main Ness and Peach
Ok that makes sense, I swear you played Lucina too or something. You're the only Peach I've fought on GAF I think, and the 3rd or 4th ness? Your Peach is pretty good, but she seems kind of gimped in this game compared to previous brawl and melee?

Puruzi

Banned
Ok that makes sense, I swear you played Lucina too or something. You're the only Peach I've fought on GAF I think, and the 3rd or 4th ness? Your Peach is pretty good, but she seems kind of gimped in this game compared to previous ones?
Yeah, I play Lucina a bit too, but not as much as Peach or Ness, so I can't call her a main yet. Peach isn't as good as she was before, but she's still fun, so I'm dealing with it.

GGs ShadowgeistX. As you can probably tell from my pitiful round as Lucario, I have no back-ups.

I'd say your Ness is good enough on his own heh. Technically I main Marth/Lucina and yet Marth was the one who couldn't keep up worth a damn. In the end only my joke character got the farthest on your Ness. Feels bad man. ;(

I took your Lucario as a pity round haha.

Ranbats was a terrible idea. I mean, I knew from a rather unimpressive record in For Glory that I was a long way away from being great, but five matches against Nabster was downright embarrassing. I'm not only not very good, but I'd venture to say that I really fucking suck.

In closing, good games Nabster!

Nabster92

Ranbats was a terrible idea. I mean, I knew from a rather in impressive record in For Glory that I was a long way away from being great, but five matches against Nabster was downright embarrassing. I'm not only not very good, but I'd venture to say that I really fucking suck.

Don't get too disheartened yet! I haven't lost to anyone else yet either so the worst is out of the way!

Damn it. Good game. I suck today. :p

Everyone has off days. I got into a bad pattern a few days ago where I kept air dodging near the ground.

It seems like the average For Glory opponent is getting really good as more casual players stop playing it. Anyone else notice it, or is it just my recent random match-ups?

Tripon

Mega Man DLC confirmed.

mm-6.png

Masked Man

I said wow
It seems like the average For Glory opponent is getting really good as more casual players stop playing it. Anyone else notice it, or is it just my recent random match-ups?

My brother (back in the US) has noticed a rise in good players on FG, so there might be some truth to this speculation. The Japanese FG has been overrun with solid players from the start, though, haha.

My brother (back in the US) has noticed a rise in good players on FG, so there might be some truth to this speculation. The Japanese FG has been overrun with solid players from the start, though, haha.

This had better be true because I kept getting bodied by For Glory even back when people were calling out the mode for having crappy players.

Ranbats was a terrible idea. I mean, I knew from a rather unimpressive record in For Glory that I was a long way away from being great, but five matches against Nabster was downright embarrassing. I'm not only not very good, but I'd venture to say that I really fucking suck.

Nabster is probably the best in the bracket.

Who do you main, anyway?

Cronox

Banned
Looking to play

beta_fuse(betafuse)
BigFwoosh(DJCurtMuffin)
CommanderPepper(CommanderPepper)
daripad(daripad)
Poltergust(Poltergust)

...my gaming schedule doesn't line up with many.

Masked Man

I said wow
Whats the experience like playing online with people from another region?

Very hit-or-miss. It depends a lot on the opponent's connection. I've got a wired setup, but my guess is that a lot of the people playing casually in the US are simply using wi-fi, so lag spikes occur with relative frequency. It's not always that bad, though, and I've had some near lag-free matches here and there.

EDIT: I should also mention that I haven't had any real issues when playing with GAF, so hooray!

Why the hell is there a ten minute penalty for quitting a match in For Glory? I understand penalizing people for quitting, but that's the dumbest way to do it. Do it with a ranking system (which this game really would've benefited from) or something. I did it by accident (my cat was doing something and i accidentally hit a instead of b when resuming). Like that's just terrible design.
It's great design. Don't pause or quit matches. If you can't handle that, you stay out of the serious matches or you get punished.

This is probably more of an annoying question for you guys than anything, but I just got Smash (my first Smash game at that) and am absolutely lost. Do you guys have any particular tips for a complete newbie to the series? Not sure if I should just spend most of my time (at first) trying to nail down the controls in training mode and then try and implement them in actual fighting or whether I should just try fight and learn at once. I'd normally do that with new games after a bit of training but I feel like I'm mostly button mashing then.
Watch how to play video (Just leave the game on the title screen, it's one of 3 things that plays). Then go into training and select Kirby as both you and your opponent. Keep CPU at "Stand" AI for now, and try to hit them off. See how they return to the stage? Now it's your time to practice that. Set CPU to "Attack" AI. When it hits you off, return using the same moves the CPU used to get back. Once you get that down, try some of the other stuff you saw in the How to Play video.

I was also embarrassed against Nabster. He's undefeated. But that doesn't mean you won't beat anyone. You and I are in the same boat, except I've also lost to a second person.

I have no doubt Nabster will eventually go up against Shamrock and they will be glorious battles! I'm excited to be part of Nabster's journey, albeit perhaps an easy one :p

Who do you main, anyway?

You know, I still haven't really settled on a main. My most played characters probably fall in this order:

1.) Shiek
2.) Duck Hunt
3.) Ganondorf

But I've gradually been abandoning the 'Dorf as I find my frequency of success with him diminishing greatly as time goes on. I've also gradually been working Zelda and Luigi in a bit more, but I see incredibly mixed results with Zelda and I'm still getting a handle on Luigi as I was never much of a Mario Bros. player in any of the Smash games.

Yep, ggs!! We had some great games!! What you think of Mac and ROB? What gave you a harder time. I felt I was more of a disadvantage playing as Mac because of olimar pikmin and his range, plus them grabs!

I have a lot of trouble reading Little Mac because he's a new character and I don't understand which moves have super armor, or what inputs are needed for each of his moves. I should try him out in training mode. I fell for down throw into Up B too many times until I learned to DI away from him. D:

ROB requires a lot of patience and foresight because of his projectiles, especially due to the small amount of lag in online matches. The laser always hits me unless I expect it. You had good spacing and edgeguarding with both characters.

Sorry for the late reply, btw.

Side note, I use a wireless connection. Anyone know how much of a difference a wired connection would make in online matches? Is it worth investing in the Ethernet adapter?

I have a lot of trouble reading Little Mac because he's a new character and I don't understand which moves have super armor, or what inputs are needed for each of his moves. I should try him out in training mode. I fell for down throw into Up B too many times until I learned to DI away from him. D:

ROB requires a lot of patience and foresight because of his projectiles, especially due to the small amount of lag in online matches. The laser always hits me unless I expect it. You had good spacing and edgeguarding with both characters.

Side note, I use a wireless connection. Anyone know how much of a difference a wired connection would make in online matches? Is it worth investing in the Ethernet adapter?

It probably depends heavily on how reliable your Wi-Fi is to begin with. But I think the general rule of thumb for online gaming -- particularly something like a fighting game -- is that if you can finagle it (i.e. your setup allows it), always use ethernet to mitigate problems that might occur. It's always hard to establish whether or not a problem is on your end or someone else's, but anecdotally I'd say that I think the wired connection works better, though I have had some stretches of using Wi-Fi that seemed perfectly fine as well.

jorgejjvr

Thanks man! I'm actually surprised you were able to find my comment and reply after this many pages. Props to you! Your olimar is the best one I've seen, I kinda fell bad because I was an olimar main in brawl but I just didn't feel him here. Seeing you do so good with him made me want to try him again

Edit: oh and little Mac super armor is on his smashes, on the very first couple of frames

Nabster92

Thanks man! I'm actually surprised you were able to find my comment and reply after this many pages. Props to you! Your olimar is the best one I've seen, I kinda fell bad because I was an olimar main in brawl but I just didn't feel him here. Seeing you do so good with him made me want to try him again

Edit: oh and little Mac super armor is on his smashes, on the very first couple of frames

I believe his forward tilt has some super armor as well no?

Top Bottom