• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

Connection randomly cut out for some reason. Although I still have internet :/ GGs, though. I don't usually play on regular stages.

I would like to play you! We haven't played since the 3DS version.
It has been awhile! I'm game, but I can't right now! Catch me later on!

Ok ggs. Guess I need to practice more ugh...
I think your Palutena's really good and you've got great reflexes. Just need to work on some of the repetition and diversify your approaches and what not a bit! Great stuff though!

Heard someone talking shit about mah boy Ike.

Now I know he doesn't have the best recovery, and mofos like Mega Man give him a hard time, but damn it he's wielding a tank in the form of a blade and hits as hard as you expect.

Plus, dthrow kills at ~140%. Sexy.

Masked Man

I said wow

Now I know he doesn't have the best recovery, and mofos like Mega Man give him a hard time, but damn it he's wielding a tank in the form of a blade and hits as hard as you expect.

Whoa, that's crazy for a Dthrow! The only other Dthrow I've seen to kill that early was R.O.B. (Then again, I play a lot of light characters, so maybe that's why?)

I threw a Captain Falcon four times at over 150% and he survived every time. He's carrying an anvil in his pants and he's not even top 10 heaviest. If down throw actually DID consistently KO at 140%, it would be significantly useful. But it doesn't. Even against Ness and Diddy Kong, they barely go off the top of the screen at 150%. No KO.

Also he doesn't hit hard at all, relatively. His forward air is weaker than several back airs on much lighter characters (even though it can autocancel), his down air is essentially useless, his down tilt doesn't KO, his forward smash doesn't move him forward enough (at all) to really have any effective setups, his side tilt is essentially a bad, unchargeable smash attack, and he's one of the easiest characters to gimp. I like him but he is noticeably flawed and inexplicably weak.

Nabster92

I threw a Captain Falcon four times at over 150% and he survived every time. He's carrying an anvil in his pants and he's not even top 10 heaviest. If down throw actually DID consistently KO at 140%, it would be significantly useful. But it doesn't.

Also he doesn't hit hard at all, relatively. His forward air is weaker than several back airs on much lighter characters (even though it can autocancel), his down air is essentially useless, his down tilt doesn't KO, his forward smash doesn't move him forward enough (at all) to really have any effective setups, his side tilt is essentially a bad, unchargeable smash attack, and he's one of the easiest characters to gimp. I like him but he is very bad.

No character really has a consistent KO percentage when you factor in rage and moves becoming stale. The fact that you did the throw 4 times probably had more to do with the falcon not dying than anything. Unless you meant on 4 different occasions of being above 150%.

No character really has a consistent KO percentage when you factor in rage and moves becoming stale. The fact that you did the throw 4 times probably had more to do with the falcon not dying than anything. Unless you meant on 4 different occasions of being above 150%.

Just go into training mode. Even with rage and 150%, the vast majority of characters will not come even close to dying from a down throw. Only works on Kirby and (obviously) Jigglypuff. Didn't try Rosalina (seriously doubt it) or Game and Watch, but Pikachu survives.

Nabster92

Just go into training mode. Even with rage and 150%, the vast majority of characters will not come even close to dying from a down throw.

Rage effect and stale moves aren't applied in training mode, so checking percents there doesn't seem very practical except for comparing between moves. I don't doubt his throws are weak as I don't really know much of Ike in detail. Just pointing things out.

I threw a Captain Falcon four times at over 150% and he survived every time. He's carrying an anvil in his pants and he's not even top 10 heaviest. If down throw actually DID consistently KO at 140%, it would be significantly useful. But it doesn't. Even against Ness and Diddy Kong, they barely go off the top of the screen at 150%. No KO.

Also he doesn't hit hard at all, relatively. His forward air is weaker than several back airs on much lighter characters (even though it can autocancel), his down air is essentially useless, his down tilt doesn't KO, his forward smash doesn't move him forward enough (at all) to really have any effective setups, his side tilt is essentially a bad, unchargeable smash attack, and he's one of the easiest characters to gimp. I like him but he is noticeably flawed and inexplicably weak.
Ah, is that so? Granted, it's not like I even use dthrow to kill that often but I find it very good when fresh and bundled with rage. The trick is to save it for a good moment.

Fair is for gimping and kills easy when near the edge, lol dair, dtilt is meant to set up for fair, utilt/ftilt or usmash if you get a hard read, fsmash is only good as a hard read due to how slow it is coming out and how punishable it is, ftilt has range and speed making it better than fsmash and jab if you're far away, and as for recovery...let's hope you're recovering from above against characters with counters. :(

Ah, is that so? Granted, it's not like I even use dthrow to kill that often but I find it very good when fresh and bundled with rage. The trick is to save it for a good moment.

Fair is for gimping and kills easy when near the edge, lol dair, dtilt is meant to set up for fair, utilt/ftilt or usmash if you get a hard read, fsmash is only good as a hard read due to how slow it is coming out and how punishable it is, ftilt has range and speed making it better than fsmash and jab if you're far away, and as for recovery...let's hope you're recovering from above against characters with counters. :(

I know what to do with his attacks, they just don't work. None of them KO as effectively as they should, which makes no sense on a character as slow and punishable as Ike. There is no reason whatsoever that forward air shouldn't KO at 120%. And side tilt's startup is too slow to be used as a punish. He's just a mess, like they merely copy/ pasted him from Brawl with no regard for how poorly he would fare with the current damage/ launching mechanics and multitude of safe characters.

Like, he sort of has the tools to be successful, but then somebody forgot to have the power of his attacks match the difficulty in landing them. Serious reads/ baits on his up smash and lucky back air are really his only chances, and it makes absolutely no sense for a heavy character to only have 2 KO moves.

I know what to do with his attacks, they just don't work. None of them KO as effectively as they should, which makes no sense on a character as slow and punishable as Ike. There is no reason whatsoever that forward air shouldn't KO at 120%. And side tilt's startup is too slow to be used as a punish. He's just a mess, like they merely copy/ pasted him from Brawl with no regard for how poorly he would fare with the current damage/ launching mechanics and multitude of safe characters.
While I won't battle your complaints anymore as everything I know about Ike I picked up from playing as him, I will say that in my time using him, my only trouble I have with KO's comes from my own mistakes in spacing. Sure, I wouldn't mind a buff to some of his attacks' knockback, but I find that he plays fine in his current state. As well, he is far better here than in Brawl IMO. I simply couldn't tolerate him in Brawl whereas here he's got a solid toolset to match my read-reliant style.

I don't know, Ike could very well be a bad character but I've made him work on his good matchups.

Well, I was using a lot of forward air today. It's really only good for reads and after down tilt. Once they reach 100% it's probably better to ignore it and just go for back airs. I can't get a good enough connection to practice right now.
If Ike was going to be buffed (won't happen), it would be good to see more super armor on Eruption, more active frames on up air so it's not so easy to dodge, more KO power for forward air, more KO power for down throw, faster startup on side tilt.

I've tried to play Yoshi lately, but his air control is really unorthodox.

Nabster92

Anyone down for some 1v1s? Or, better put, a test of my internet as it has been acting up.

NNID: TesVena

I can play a couple now. Just got my gc adapter today as well so can finally test that out and not have to deal with batteries anymore. :D

NNID: Nabster92

Masked Man

I said wow
So I was playing online last night, and just when I "tricked" the opponent into Bowserciding with me on our last stock, the game went into Sudden Death! Up until now, a Bowsercide when both players have one stock remaining resulted in Bowser losing. Did they secretly change this!?

RomanceDawn

So I was playing online last night, and just when I "tricked" the opponent into Bowserciding with me on our last stock, the game went into Sudden Death! Up until now, a Bowsercide when both players have one stock remaining resulted in Bowser losing. Did they secretly change this!?

Something like that happened with me as well. I don't know what affects it. If you ever get Bowsercided on last stock just keep jumping to be sure he dies first. Metaknight can actually survive that and get back to the stage.

Anyone 1vs1?

Thanks, you've got a good Mac too. GGs!

EDIT: If anyone else wants to play, I'm still up for it. I just need to use the bathroom. My NNID is the same as my gaf name, minus the space.

I'll play you if you are still around.

Masked Man

I said wow
Something like that happened with me as well. I don't know what affects it. If you ever get Bowsercided on last stock just keep jumping to be sure he dies first. Metaknight can actually survive that and get back to the stage.

Hm, interesting. I guess we must have just died at the same time somehow. I'm curious to find out how this works, though!

Nabster92

GGs, thanks for humoring my badness. :D

Terrifying RosaLuma.

GG's Vena! Marth dittos are always fun. Used to main him through Melee and Brawl. Not a huge fan of what they've done to him here, but I wanted to play Rosalina anyways so that worked out I suppose.

You tend to roll a lot more than you should, and I probably could have punished you a lot more often for it.

Also, you sorta had a habit of using counter immediately after every time I successfully used it and it never worked in those cases.

Vena

I've got about a half hour, anyone else for a few more 1v1s?

GG's Vena! Marth dittos are always fun. Used to main him through Melee and Brawl. Not a huge fan of what they've done to him here, but I wanted to play Rosalina anyways so that worked out I suppose.

You tend to roll a lot more than you should, and I probably could have punished you a lot more often for it.

Also, you sorta had a habit of using counter immediately after every time I successfully used it and it never worked in those cases.

I noticed you left me off the hook a lot on some excessive rolls lol.

I used to play Marth in Melee as well and I am constantly trying to play him the same which ends up being jank. (I skipped Brawl after the first year, so I haven't exactly maintained my skills of Smash lol. Slowly piecing them back together.) The dittos were fun, though, as I was basically just doing what I do best in Smash, and that's simply to mimic what I see, lol. I learned a lot about his approach options, but I still am stuck trying to play Melee fair/bair options a lot.

Your Rosa is very aggro, and its actually scary to see her played like that as every other fight against her is usually very campy and hiding behind Luma. I don't know if that's generally how you play her or just how you can play her against someone of my current level lol.

Also a lot of those counters were meant to be DBs, lol, but I have a tendency to still mess up inputs.

TWILT

Banned
GGs Vena. Link/Robin are prolly pretty rough match ups for Marth, so, sorry about that lol.

I kept messing up on catching the book when it runs out of uses. They hurt a lot when thrown, so I got to work on that. >:

Vena

GGs Vena. Link/Robin are prolly pretty rough match ups for Marth, so, sorry about that lol.

I kept messing up on catching the book when it runs out of uses. They hurt a lot when thrown, so I got to work on that. >:

Its ok, we learn by being bloodied and bruised. :p It always amazes me how much further even the bronze sword reaches than Marth's Falchion, lol. And Link easily has longer reach with the Master Sword.

GGs, and ya, you need to catch the books and levin swords, those things are your main kill potential aside from bair.

Top Bottom