• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rösti;131751557 said:
t1414587600z4.png

Until Nintendo's Second Quarter Financial Results Briefing for FY 2014. The earnings release itself happens on the day before, the 29th of October (JST). This is most likely the absolute latest we will get a release date announcement. They would be nuts to not have the game out before Black Friday (November 28).

We will likely get news about QOL and that console they are developing for emerging markets then as well.

Uh huh

I wonder if they finally cleared out their 2013 holiday overshipments

JCX

Still amazes me were actually getting GC Pads for this smash.
Really thought they were going to push people into buying the WiiU Pro Controller or releasing a GC variant for it.

Yeah it really blows my mind still. Didn't Miyamoto say that people would be using that controller in ten years?

I was thinking earlier though that the 3DS version is a stealth way to get people used to using a pro/gamepad for smash, since the layout is the same save for a second stick. I'm still gonna use Gamecube the most though.

NeonZ

And the worst Wario game in the series gets a new stage. I'll be fucking ecstatic if Captain Syrup shows up as a Sticker at this point.

There are no stickers this time though...

Wario Land did have one sticker in Brawl (Tiny Wario, there was also a Wario World emblem), but that's it. And this time it seems like it won't even get that and even the one reference to Wario Land in Wario's moveset has been removed.

At least they picked the best stage from Game and Wario.

Now we just need a Duck Hunt stage complete with the DHD laughing in the background when a player loses a stock.

When DHD is playing onscreen Alfonso fills in for him.

And the worst Wario game in the series gets a new stage. I'll be fucking ecstatic if Captain Syrup shows up as a Sticker at this point.

No moves
No music
No stages
No Smash Run enemies
No Stickers
No Trophies
No Assist Trophies
No acknowledgement in Wario's trophy description

It's probably an executive decision... Imagine this..

'Mr. Sakurai. For the Wario character, please use the style and assets of the Wario franchise we are selling now. Thank you. Please understand.'

Can we complain about how there are no "classic" Kid Icarus stages or characters too? Or that Yoshi isn't based on Super Mario World anymore? Or that Toon Link isn't NES Link? Zelda II was basically completely ignored already, and now Link's up air was changed. What the hell, Sakurai.

It's probably an executive decision... Imagine this..

'Mr. Sakurai. For the Wario character, please use the style and assets of the Wario franchise we are selling now. Thank you. Please understand.'

Wario Land: Shake It was released a few years ago and it hasn't even been acknowledged. Then again, the Wii U version apparently has different trophies, so maybe we'll get lucky.

Jawmuncher

Can we complain about how there are no "classic" Kid Icarus stages or characters too? Or that Yoshi isn't based on Super Mario World anymore? Or that Toon Link isn't NES Link? Zelda II was basically completely ignored already, and now Link's up air was changed. What the hell, Sakurai.

Personally I feel we have just the right amount of retro at this point. As much as smash is a celebration of Nintendo history, I don't think you'd want to over do it.

emb

Personally I feel we have just the right amount of retro at this point. As much as smash is a celebration of Nintendo history, I don't think you'd want to over do it.
I think I'd prefer for the balance to be swapped from how it is now; emphasis on the older where possible, with some showcases of newer things here and there. Basically like 65/35 ration on stuff that released 5+ years ago vs things still/about to be on sale. Ideally characters that have been and are still around are a combination of past and present.

But as long as it plays well, those aspects are secondary to me now.
but Down Aerial is there :'D
also Shadow Link color swap~
I like that we have Dark Link, but I do wish they would offer the version from AoL/Oot as an option, rather than the TP one we have. Like the event match in Melee; all that needs to be done is paintbucket fill the textures with solid black.

Wario Land: Shake It was released a few years ago and it hasn't even been acknowledged. Then again, the Wii U version apparently has different trophies, so maybe we'll get lucky.

Over 6 years ago at this point. And I'm not sure Shake It was very successful.

Personally, while Warioware has been fun (when it's made by the original team, now on rhythm heaven I guess), but I'm a bit nostalgic for the old Wario themes. Though now that I think about it. I never played any of the Wario Land games. Ouch.

SoldnerKei

I like that we have Dark Link, but I do wish they would offer the version from AoL/Oot as an option, rather than the TP one we have. Like the event match in Melee; all that needs to be done is paintbucket fill the textures with solid black.

yup, he looks like an actual shadow that way, plain and simple pitch black, thou the red eyes add an devilish effect imo xD

You can get your point across without sounding like a sarcastic douche. Actually, no, you can't, because there's no reasonable explanation for this.

Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 - Sticker in Brawl
Virtual Boy Wario Land - Ignored
Wario Land II - Ignored
Wario Land 3 - Ignored
Wario Land 4 - Ignored
Wario World - Ignored
Wario: Master of Disguise - Ignored
Wario Land: Shake It - Ignored

I'm surprised Wario was even considered for Melee, given that WarioWare didn't exist back in 2001. How cool would a stage based on Wario's Castle be? Or Glittertown from the fairly recent Shake It?

Over 6 years ago at this point. And I'm not sure Shake It was very successful.

Game & Wario is the worst selling game in the Wario series behind Virtual Boy Wario Land. Relevant, maybe, but that doesn't give him an excuse to blatantly ignore eight other games.

Wario's victory theme is from Shake It

Shake It was released after Brawl, so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

Zubz

Banned
Amazing stage, my favorite so far~

While I doubt this rumor, it makes me drool for the potential Dyna Blade boss battle and HD Magicant. I love Dyna Blade
piq_53109_400x400.png

Dude... I'm still questioning this rumor too, but I forgot all about it mentioning Dyna Blade. Gah, between this, 5 newcomers including Ridley, and an Endless Ocean stage... I'm starting to get excited!

Shake It was released after Brawl, so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

As much as I find the neglect of the Wario series to be disgusting, it's unmistakably the main theme from Shake It in Wario's victory music, plus it shows up in the Waluigi Pinball remix. The Roy debate recently shows that Smash isn't above putting in teasers for upcoming games in. Unlike Roy or the Animal Crossing/Pikmin/Cubivore trophies in Melee, however, it's just less blatant because the song doesn't state "Stay tuned for Wario Land: Shake It!" It's just a nice little musical preview.

Dimmle

Game & Wario is the worst selling game in the Wario series behind Virtual Boy Wario Land. Relevant, maybe, but that doesn't give him an excuse to blatantly ignore eight other games.

Virtual Boy Wario Land is the best game in the franchise. Secret Fact. The system may be a punchline but that game was no joke!

On another note, I'm really digging the caption of today's PotD. The mom "dialogue" he included really hearkens back to his old, goofy Dojo voice.

Yeah seriously, is the old Shadow Link too much to ask for? Even Link's down air is probably based on Twilight Princess now. No Sakurai, adding a few costume options and a song here and there doesn't make up for completely ignoring a significant part of a character's history. Think of how amazing a stage based on that stump you could walk inside from Zelda I would be! I swear if Temple doesn't come back....

And I think Sakurai's bias has never been more clear than with Pit. Where's the Classic Pit costume Sakurai? Project M gets it right again. And there's really no stage based on the final boss fight from Of Myths and Monsters? Seriously? Uprising plays nothing like the real Kid Icarus games, they deserve some representation too. My Pit is a serious angel, he doesn't say goofy lines all the time.

emb

Yeah seriously, is the old Shadow Link too much to ask for? Even Link's down air is probably based on Twilight Princess now. No Sakurai, adding a few costume options and a song here and there doesn't make up for completely ignoring a significant part of a character's history. Think of how amazing a stage based on that stump you could walk inside from Zelda I would be! I swear if Temple doesn't come back....

And I think Sakurai's bias has never been more clear than with Pit. Where's the Classic Pit costume Sakurai? Project M gets it right again. And there's really no stage based on the final boss fight from Of Myths and Monsters? Seriously? Uprising plays nothing like the real Kid Icarus games, they deserve some representation too. My Pit is a serious angel, he doesn't say goofy lines all the time.
Well yeah, they can't cover everything. That stump from Zelda would be a legit stage. You could walk out of it and back in and get the door to open.

PM's classic Pit costume is one of the few that doesn't really look that good. I guess it'd be nice to see some classic KI throwbacks, but Uprising already did so much of that. So Smash 4 being filled with Uprising kinda covers it by transitivity.

Cryxok

Dude... I'm still questioning this rumor too, but I forgot all about it mentioning Dyna Blade. Gah, between this, 5 newcomers including Ridley, and an Endless Ocean stage... I'm starting to get excited!

Weirdly enough, the newcomers failed to get me excited, I think it'd make me happier to get back the characters cut from Brawl as I really liked Lucas and Wolf. The stages, the tower mode and the potential music (a new Stickerbush Symphony arrangement for the Bramble Blast stage? Yes please) are what make me want that rumor to be true

That Wario Land Shake it is mentioned in Smash, which you said it isn't.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl -> Wario Land: Shake It -> Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U

A three second sound clip that was originally from Brawl is such a great representation of the game. I was hoping we would get a Shake It stage or Assist Trophy, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen.

You're comparing a Link palette swap to a critically acclaimed series of games that has been virtually ignored for the past 15 years. I don't even know why I bothered responding to you in the first place. If you're going to obtuse about this, then there's no point.

Cse

Banned
h990OCS.png

Where were you when RIDLEY WAS CONFIRMED!

GAME AND WARIO STAGE IS LISTED THERE!

Not buying this at all. Why would Smashville return when Town and City is essentially the exact same stage?

I'm a bit shocked that it's almost October and we still don't have a release date for the Wii U version. Many are speculating the game will be released at the end of November, but when was the last time an AAA title had its release date announced less than 2 months out from the actual release?

Jawmuncher

Not buying this at all. Why would Smashville return when Town and City is essentially the exact same stage?

I'm a bit shocked that it's almost October and we still don't have a release date for the Wii U version. Many are speculating the game will be released at the end of November, but when was the last time an AAA title had its release date announced less than 2 months out from the actual release?

To be fair just because it doesn't happen often doesn't mean it can't happen. Remember they're going to have amiibos release at the same time. A store display with all those figures and the games is going to make up for the lack of a release date.

Lunar15

The fact that there's absolutely no Golden Sun representation in the trophies, despite Dark Dawn having released in between brawl and 4, is really weird. Even weirder when Issac got both an AT and a song in brawl.

Maybe Camelot didn't want to be bothered with it or something.

I'd be down with that stage roster, but boy do I not want Other M Ridley and Impa.

Why would the former even be playable if he's the Pyrosphere boss?

georly

I'd be down with that stage roster, but boy do I not want Other M Ridley and Impa.

Why would the former even be playable if he's the Pyrosphere boss?

Conspiracy: Because he was never a boss! He was always playable, he appears on pyrosphere sometimes because some one is playing him on pyrosphere. Never mind you that he appeared on the yellow devil segment of the direct. It was totally just sakurai pulling the long con troll!
/s

Conspiracy: Because he was never a boss! He was always playable, he appears on pyrosphere sometimes because some one is playing him on pyrosphere. Never mind you that he appeared on the yellow devil segment of the direct. It was totally just sakurai pulling the long con troll!
/s

I wonder if people are still staring at that five second shadow from the direct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom