• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it wouldn't be a strike against it, but yeah that's been a common theory for both Magicant and Mute City because A: they're both excellent stages, B: they're suspiciously not handheld-based, C: it would be crazy to have a unique stage in both versions for F-Zero and Mother when Metroid, StarFox, DK, Wario and Yoshi can't even get that, and D: up-porting stages from the 3DS to Wii U is likely much easier than vice versa so there's no real reason to not have new F-Zero or Mother stages when perfectly good ones already exist on 3DS and aren't handheld specific so they wouldn't be out of place on Wii U.

For those reasons, I'm about 95% sure that the Wii U version will have HD Magicant and Mute City, maybe with some slight changes.
I had Magicant pegged as a cross-version stage the minute we saw it. I was thinking the same of Mute City before properly seeing it in motion, but in some senses it seems tailor made for the small resolution of the 3DS that made me second guess myself. I don't know if it would look as perfectly retro at higher resolutions. I'm iffier on Mute City.

For those of us on Ridley-watch, it's worth noting Ridley had assist trophy files in Brawl despite not being an AT. Perhaps there could be a similar case here.
Oh god, the dream's really dead, isn't it? :(

Still, no matter what, even if clone Ridley is a boss, that doesn't necessarily count Ridley out. I've said this multiple times, so I'm just leaving it at that.

large

I'm going to be using this image a lot.

Hatchtag

Banned
It is funny people were overanalyzing the bosses for playable characters. Although Metal Face will be an interesting boss!

To be fair, Dark Pit was revealed in a very similar way to how Ridley was, so there was reason for over analyzation.
At the same time...I donno. It feels odd to me that there's not really any hints at any other bosses in the files. Plus, we know that the Wii U menu has space for at least one Smash Run-like mode.

Golnei

To be fair, Dark Pit was revealed in a very similar way to how Ridley was, so there was reason for over analyzation.
At the same time...I donno. It feels odd to me that there's not really any hints at any other bosses in the files. Plus, we know that the Wii U menu has space for at least one Smash Run-like mode.

I'd probably group Dark Pit with Lucina and Ridley with Metal Face. Getting a direct closeup and being shown via shadow seem to indicate very different roles, even aside from the absurdity of considering the latter two as playable characters.

now with Metal Face though you think that comparison wouldn't be made any more

For those of us on Ridley-watch, it's worth noting Ridley had assist trophy files in Brawl despite not being an AT. Perhaps there could be a similar case here.

The dream's been dead for a while.

August 20 2013 - Pyrosphere is shown off, and Sakurai hints that "[a]n enemy from Samus's past may appear at any second," most likely referring to Ridley. Maybe he meant he would be playable? More likely scenario; he's part of the stage.

April 8 2014 - Ridley's shadow appears on the Pyrosphere stage, while Sakurai talks about stage bosses. Pretty heavily implied that Ridley's a stage boss too.

September 11 2014 - The 3DS version breaks its street date and several people start streaming the game online. The entire roster is uncovered, and Ridley is not in it.

Sometime between now and November 21 2014 - Ridley is officially revealed to be a stage boss.

Veeboy

The dream isn't dead until Sakurai shows me the body in the inevitable Wii U POTD reveal!

Then the dream is reincarnated as DLC dreams.
Until all DLC has been released then the dream is dead.
Until Smash 6.

now with Metal Face though you think that comparison wouldn't be made any more

At least Metal Face's shadow looked huge, and nothing like a boss.

Ridley's shadow apparently's the same size/ slightly bigger than Bowser & jagged-movements.
Not very intimidating.

This does not bode well for Spainkiller's leak though...

Gleethor

I had Magicant pegged as a cross-version stage the minute we saw it. I was thinking the same of Mute City before properly seeing it in motion, but in some senses it seems tailor made for the small resolution of the 3DS that made me second guess myself. I don't know if it would look as perfectly retro at higher resolutions. I'm iffier on Mute City.

I guess I'm slightly less certain on Mute City, but I think F-Zero SNES looks fine on my TV via Wii U VC so I don't think resolution would be a big issue. I wouldn't say no to another GX stage like Aeropolis or something but I just can't see them making a unique F-Zero stage for each version.

Here are my thoughts as to why Ridley was not directly confirmed as a stage boss:

The 3DS version was coming out first, so they wanted to focus the hype on that, and then move onto the Wii U version. In the Wii U version, Ridley is a stage boss. However, like other bosses, he will be playable with the Wii U GamePad. For this reason, they wanted to keep the special mode a secret so that they could build up some more hype for the Wii U version when the 3DS version was already out.

Super simple stuff.

Here are my thoughts as to why Ridley was not directly confirmed as a stage boss:

The 3DS version was coming out first, so they wanted to focus the hype on that, and then move onto the Wii U version. In the Wii U version, Ridley is a stage boss. However, like other bosses, he will be playable with the Wii U GamePad. For this reason, they wanted to keep the special mode a secret so that they could build up some more hype for the Wii U version when the 3DS version was already out.

Super simple stuff.
Wouldn't it make more sense to not have a section about Ridley as a stage boss in the Direct, then?

- "Ridley will be playable"
- Smash Direct hints that Ridley will be a stage boss
- "Sakurai is just trolling"
- Ridley is not on the Ninka/Vaanrose leak
- Anonymous 4chan user claims Ridley, Dixie, Mewtwo, and Chorus Men will be playable
- Entire roster is leaked with photo evidence
- "The ESRB didn't have the final build"
- Game is released and Ridley is nowhere to be seen
- "Ridley will be unlocked by connecting the 3DS version to the Wii U"
- Text dump implies that no such connectivity exists
- "Ridley will be DLC"
- Text dump implies that Ridley will be a stage boss
- "It's leftover data from the Subspace Emissary"

Will this lunacy ever end?

I'm very excited for: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U being released. Being able to play lots of it while I'm recovering from a surgery.

I'm not excited for: Tons of people complaining about Ridley not being playable, or there not being any more characters, or there not being 55 stages, even though there has not been any official evidence to indicate that any of this would happen.

Wouldn't it make more sense to not have a section about Ridley as a stage boss in the Direct, then?
As I said, they wanted to hype up the Wii U version after the 3DS version was released.

Golnei

Perhaps that's where the statement he made about not wanting to disappoint fans of a character by unreasonably raising their expectations came in - he couldn't talk about the boss mode because of the 3DS-prioritised marketing cycle, but he demonstrated Ridley was not a regular playable character in the interest of transparency. Though he underestimated the depths of delusion Ridley fans are capable of sinking to...

Things I'm very excited for: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U being released. Being able to play lots of it while I'm recovering from a surgery.

Things I'm not excited for: Tons of people complaining about Ridley not being playable, or there not being any more characters, or there not being 55 stages, even though there has not been any official evidence to indicate that any of this would happen.

As I said, they wanted to hype up the Wii U version after the 3DS version was released.
Then why would they show a Wii U feature...your response makes no sense.

I would be disappointed by this roster regardless of leak claims. This is a B+ roster at best.

Perhaps that's where the statement he made about not wanting to disappoint fans of a character by unreasonably raising their expectations came in - he couldn't talk about the boss mode because of the 3DS-prioritised marketing cycle, but he demonstrated Ridley was not a regular playable character in the interest of transparency. Though he underestimated the depths of delusion Ridley fans are capable of sinking to...
Would showing Ridley as a boss really have unveiled so much more than showing his shadow? This is a pretty small difference.

Ridley fans should've accepted things when the stage was first announced/when his shadow was shown in a stage boss section/when the roster leaked/when the game came out.

Gleethor

- "Ridley will be playable"
- Smash Direct hints that Ridley will be a stage boss
- "Sakurai is just trolling"
- Ridley is not on the Ninka/Vaanrose leak
- Anonymous 4chan user claims Ridley, Dixie, Mewtwo, and Chorus Men will be playable
- Entire roster is leaked with photo evidence
- "The ESRB didn't have the final build"
- Game is released and Ridley is nowhere to be seen
- "Ridley will be unlocked by connecting the 3DS version to the Wii U"
- Text dump implies that no such connectivity exists
- "Ridley will be DLC"
- Text dump implies that Ridley will be a stage boss
- "It's leftover data from the Subspace Emissary"

Will this lunacy ever end?

Ridley and Meta Ridley were in the text dump. If there's really no leftover data from Brawl in there (one would think Porky and Petey would show up too...), then what's going on?

Then why would they show a Wii U feature...your response makes no sense.

I would be disappointed by this roster regardless of leak claims. This is a B+ roster at best.

They didn't show a Wii U feature. They would be saving that until after the 3DS version was out. That's exactly what I meant, and it makes perfect sense.

Ridley and Meta Ridley were in the text dump. If there's really no leftover data from Brawl in there (one would think Porky and Petey would show up too...), then what's going on?

People refuse to accept the fact that Ridley isn't playable. I don't agree with Sakurai's decision, but hey, there's nothing we can do about it.

backlot

There is leftover data from Brawl in there. Who is claiming there isn't? It even references other bosses like Porky, Rayquaza and Taboo.

There are multiple references to Ridley in the text dump. Not all of them are leftover Brawl data though.

People refuse to accept the fact that Ridley isn't playable. I don't agree with Sakurai's decision, but hey, there's nothing we can do about it.
Maybe Sakurai thought Ridley wouldn't make it as a character, but still wanted to please the Ridley fans by letting him be playable in a special mode?

What Golnei said:

No one thought that stage was in the 3DS version, though...

I never said they did!

Sakurai was talking about stage bosses, then showed Ridley's shadow. Maybe because he didn't want to advertise a Wii U-exclusive mode before the 3DS version was released, he didn't elaborate on Ridley's role in the GamePad boss mode.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
[insert link to video of guy shouting about how Ridley is playable because he grabs Pikachu]

Yeah, they forget all about Master Hand's grab moves.

I do feel bad for Ridley fans that they didn't get him once again. However people still holding with the hopes because of Spainkiller's source.

I'm very curious how they would hype Smash Wii U after Smash's release.

At least Metal Face's shadow looked huge, and nothing like a boss.

Ridley's shadow apparently's the same size/ slightly bigger than Bowser & jagged-movements.
Not very intimidating.

This does not bode well for Spainkiller's leak though...

I still believe in Spainkiller's leak. That is, Mewtwo, Dixie, and Chorus Men will probably be playable DLC characters.

As far as Ridley goes, well, he did mention that his source only saw "moving models" of these characters. It's pretty easy to assume that the moving model his source saw was simply of boss Ridley on Pyrosphere, potentially in some kind of playable boss mode along with Metalface.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Porky and Petey did shown up along with other SSE bosses. Take a look at the list again.

Isn't it possible that SpainKiller's source had used the 4chan leak that took the Ninka/Vanroose information and added in those four characters?

Was his source actually a friend? Seemed like the only reason he believed his source was because he told him about the Koopaling alts.

He claimed his friend has never been wrong about anything else, but didn't go into more detail.

Edit: All in all, I'm confused, there's lots of things that shows Ridley may be playable, and there's evidence that proves his clone is a boss. I'm just going to stand on middle ground in till the Wii U version comes out or when we find out what DLC we may get.

Ahnez

If a Direct with more info about the Wii U version is planned, I believe Sakurai will hold back the Wii U PotDs.. ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom