• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryce

What exactly gave SpainKillers claim any relevance?
1. He's been on NeoGAF since 2004.
2. He has a pretty big online presence outside of GAF.
3. He apparently leaked things for other games.
4. He's a gaming journalist -- he has a lot of industry friends and he travels a lot, so it's at least believable that he would have "sources."

In my experience with leaks, he's the type of person who is most likely telling the truth. The attention seeking hoaxers tend to be shut-in manchildren/bored teenagers.

4. He's a gaming journalist -- he has a lot of industry friends and he travels a lot, so it's at least believable that he would have "sources."

In my experience with leaks, he's the type of person who is most likely telling the truth. The attention seeking hoaxers tend to be shut-in manchildren/bored teenagers.
We need examples of #3, also past leaks do not guarantee the accuracy of future leaks.

Pyrokai

I'm still on the bandwagon of post-3DS / pre-Wii U release that we will have a Nintendo Direct with a big portion of it about Smash. Sometime mid to late October. I also expect SOMETHING in the realm of DLC announcements/link-ups/exclusive Wii U content that could potentially be for 3DS at a later date. I don't think it's wishful thinking, I just feel it in my bones :p

Zubz

Banned

Yup; even if you CTRL+F Ridley, Duon* even shows up right in-between Meta and non-Meta Ridley at one point. Again, the Spainkiller leak seems vague. I want to believe, but in retrospect, he says he hasn't even seen these models, just that his friend claims to have seen them and that the friend is trusted. There's too much trust here for my liking, so I'm not trusting it myself. However, Ridley being in with the other SSE bosses among the Smash Run data more "rattles" his chances than killing them, if we are getting more characters with the Wii U launch. I will admit, though, that the fact Ridley's on there both as "Ridley" and "ridley" hurts the argument a little further, as does both the Yellow Devil and Metal Face being there.

And yes, Ridley was with the AT's in Brawl, but I honestly think the plan was to flat-out make him a full AT rather than them storing bosses with the AT's. From what I've heard, early Brawl demos showed a Porky AT, too, but that was probably just a rumor, My guess is it would've just put their SSE boss fights on a stage, but they were too large and unwieldy to work.

Something I'm curious about: Metal Face is in the text dump, but the text dump seems to be going off of the Japanese names. Over there, he's called, and I apologize for the unfortunate name, "Black Face." Did they just change his name to Metal Face for Japan, too, or is this not entirely reliable? Probably the former, but still. But if he's listed, too, then I wonder if he might have just been cut from the 3DS version of Gaur Plains, explaining why he's there with everyone else? I mean, I'm thankful for it, as I hate the stage bosses, but still, there's a chance Ridley might not be there as a stage boss in the Wii U game, but because Metal Face is leftover data from a boss in the 3DS version.

Only one thing's for sure: shit's about to get real.
And honestly, why is Sakurai building up this hype for a Stage Boss? Surely by now, he knows Ridley fans want him as a 100% part of the roster, so why not let them down gently sooner, rather than later? As in, last August-sooner? I don't doubt that it's possible he thinks this is a legitimate way to hype people up, but it just seems unwise, with the evidence literally screaming that this is going to lead to disappointment for so many without a character reveal at the end.

*This is Duon, by the way:
DuonClear.png

backlot

We need examples of #3, also past leaks do not guarantee the accuracy of future leaks.

When Spainkiller says things like "we're talking about the guy who told me about the Bowser Jr. alts immediately after the ESRB leaks" it makes it pretty clear that he hasn't been following Smash leaks. I feel like it would have been pretty easy to deceive him.

Ryce

Something I'm curious about: Metal Face is in the text dump, but the text dump seems to be going off of the Japanese names. Over there, he's called, and I apologize for the unfortunate name, "Black Face." Did they just change his name to Metal Face for Japan, too, or is this not entirely reliable?
Some of the files use English names for whatever reason; "Poké Ball" is used instead of "Monster Ball," for example. I wouldn't look into it too much.

Muzy72

Banned
Ridley was deconfirmed over a year ago and yet there's still people clinging on to this insane dream. Ridley will never be playable in Smash 4.

Ryce

I'm thinking the DLC schedule will be more like Mario Golf than Mario Kart. We'll get a few characters and stages in late 2014/early 2015 and that'll be it.

Neoxon

So we know he's reliable, but is his source reliable? They could have fooled him.

RomanceDawn

Oh how interesting! Which one is Metal Face? I see this over and over:

eff_enem_MA_Ridley_ZANZOU03_ADD
eff_enem_MA_Metaridley_ZANZOU03_ADD
eff_enem_MA_e063_ZANZOU04_ADD
eff_enem_MA_Duon_ZANZOU04_ADD
eff_enem_MA_Bosspackun_ZANZOU04_ADD
eff_enem_MA_Ridley_ZANZOU04_ADD
eff_enem_MA_Metaridley_ZANZOU04_ADD

That's the boss section for sure where is Metal Face, in a whole other section?

I just noticed the Smash Run enemies as well.

Subetenoyaminoou
Dosudosu
Totsukotsu
Ridley
Zully
Chappy
Tikibuzz

With DLC I could see new enemies being patched into Smash Run.

Can someone answer this for me, are there any other character files here that would suggest brand new playable characters? If they aren't there I could still see Ridley having a chance. Just because he's in the boss section doesn't mean thats how he will end up.

The dreams of men will never die!

Ryce

Can someone answer this for me, are there any other character files here that would suggest brand new playable characters? If they aren't there I could still see Ridley having a chance. Just because he's in the boss section doesn't mean thats how he will end up.

You're looking at the wrong section -- that's just leftover data from Brawl. Yellow Devil, Metal Face, and Ridley are up with the Smash Run enemies and stage hazards.

So we know he's reliable, but is his source reliable? They could have fooled him.
He said with 100% certainty that his source does localization work for Nintendo of Europe and that his source has been right before.

Only one thing's for sure: shit's about to get real.
And honestly, why is Sakurai building up this hype for a Stage Boss? Surely by now, he knows Ridley fans want him as a 100% part of the roster, so why not let them down gently sooner, rather than later? As in, last August-sooner? I don't doubt that it's possible he thinks this is a legitimate way to hype people up, but it just seems unwise, with the evidence literally screaming that this is going to lead to disappointment for so many without a character reveal at the end.

I don't think anyone was particularly clamoring for a playable Metal Face either, yet lo and behold, he got pretty much the same treatment. Actually, even better treatment; He straight up highlighted the stinger section of Shulk's trailer, complete with actual voice work.
Ridley, meanwhile, just had allusion in one of the many pic of the day descriptions and a 4 second teaser out of a thirty minute long video, in a section about stage bosses.
I think the people going "well WHY would Mashpotatoes Samurai tease the RIDLEY so much if he's not playable!??!" are being a little myopic. These teases only seem like a really big deal to them because they've been laser focusing on these throwaway tidbits for far longer than they were intended to be. To pretty much every casual observer who doesn't meticulously study forum conspiracy theories, they pretty much just mean "Oh maaaan that dragon thing from Metroid is gonna appear on this stage as a boss just like the Yellow Devil, I can't wait to see it!"

And even if I was wrong, it's not like the "why would they set people up for disappointment" thing has no precedent. Ice Climbers were already kinda teased in a way, as the Polar Bear showed up in some pre-release Smash Run footage. Yet it wasn't until the game itself was released that Sakurai said "Sorry, but ICs aren't in the game because technical issues please understand."

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I think the files are shared between Wii U and 3DS.

I wonder how long Nintendo will support this game with DLCs..

I would like Mario Kart 8 style DLC but I can't really see it because the development team isn't internal team so I'm not sure about the answer.

When Spainkiller says things like "we're talking about the guy who told me about the Bowser Jr. alts immediately after the ESRB leaks" it makes it pretty clear that he hasn't been following Smash leaks. I feel like it would have been pretty easy to deceive him.

That part is what set me off about his source.

Golnei

I saw 'ZANZOU' and 'Metal Face' and thought of something completely different...

Zubz

Banned
Ridley was deconfirmed over a year ago and yet there's still people clinging on to this insane dream. Ridley will never be playable in Smash 4.

Even if we're going by the Direct teasing him as a confirmation, that's only been 5 months. We've seen Pyrosphere since last August, but even if that was the area where Samus fought Ridley in Other M, a Metroid lava level alone meant nothing. A year's a hyperbole.

As for "never," that's a strong word. DLC's a thing, and by this point, Sakurai & Co. have to know people just want to see him playable, and as a full-fledged member of the team. And even if he refuses because he likes his games to meet his visions, Namco's here, too, and they like money. As does Nintendo. Honestly, if there was demand for Nabbit or Metal Face, I can see Nintendo going the distance for those guys in those situations. Ridley has both the demand and the potential, not to mention the history as well (While on the topic of seniority, based on the reactions to the Melee reveal, people were expecting Ridley over a decade ago).

Even if these remaining Wii U leaks are wrong, which, apologies to Spainkiller, they probably are, there's always a chance Ridley will get in to Smash 4 as a DLC, unless he's being saved to be the first major reveal for Smash 5 (I don't see the Wii U one as 5), ala Meta Knight & Villager. I honestly can't think of another non-veteran people are clamoring for more than Ridley, now that we finally have Villager, Mega Man, and Little Mac, and yes, I'm counting Isaac. By Smash 5 the Inklings might fill that fan-favorite role, but I doubt Ridley will be anything less than 2nd Most Wanted by then. There's always a chance.

Neoxon

You're looking at the wrong section -- that's just leftover data from Brawl. Yellow Devil, Metal Face, and Ridley are up with the Smash Run enemies and stage hazards.

He said with 100% certainty that his source does localization work for Nintendo of Europe and that his source has been right before.
Okay then. While I'm pretty sure that DLC will happen (even without the recent evidence indicating so), I'm still 50/50 on if it'll be in the form of bonus characters for the Wii U version that will be added to the 3DS version later. I wouldn't mind (since I'm getting both versions, anyway) & it'd make sense from a business standpoint, but I still have my reservations on if it's really happening, even if I get my Rhythm Heaven rep. Not to mention that it'd leave 3DS-only players in the dark for a while. I'm pretty sure they'd get the characters eventually anyway, but still.

Zubz

Banned

I just noticed the Smash Run enemies as well.

Subetenoyaminoou
Dosudosu
Totsukotsu
Ridley
Zully
Chappy
Tikibuzz

With DLC I could see new enemies being patched into Smash Run.

Try "Metalface," all one word.

Even if we're going by the Direct teasing him as a confirmation, that's only been 5 months. We've seen Pyrosphere since last August, but even if that was the area where Samus fought Ridley in Other M, a Metroid lava level alone meant nothing. A year's a hyperbole.

As for "never," that's a strong word. DLC's a thing, and by this point, Sakurai & Co. have to know people just want to see him playable, and as a full-fledged member of the team. And even if he refuses because he likes his games to meet his visions, Namco's here, too, and they like money. As does Nintendo. Honestly, if there was demand for Nabbit or Metal Face, I can see Nintendo going the distance for those guys in those situations. Ridley has both the demand and the potential, not to mention the history as well (While on the topic of seniority, based on the reactions to the Melee reveal, people were expecting Ridley over a decade ago).

Even if these remaining Wii U leaks are wrong, which, apologies to Spainkiller, they probably are, there's always a chance Ridley will get in to Smash 4 as a DLC, unless he's being saved to be the first major reveal for Smash 5 (I don't see the Wii U one as 5), ala Meta Knight & Villager. I honestly can't think of another non-veteran people are clamoring for more than Ridley, now that we finally have Villager, Mega Man, and Little Mac, and yes, I'm counting Isaac. By Smash 5 the Inklings might fill that fan-favorite role, but I doubt Ridley will be anything less than 2nd Most Wanted by then. There's always a chance.
Are we really gonna pull this BS about the Melee reveal AGAIN?

RomanceDawn

Are we really gonna pull this BS about the Melee reveal AGAIN?

He didn't say people were clamoring for Ridley in the video, he just said people expected him after seeing that video. Which is absolutely true. Though purely anecdotal, I remember my friends and people across the IGN and Planet Gamecube boards thinking Ridley was coming as a playable character after that reveal.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I just copy and paste the full list of stage hazard and smash run enemies. Again, I'm not sure if it's complete list or not.

Pooka
Bacula
Zima
Mczakozima
Keronpa
Shandera
Patapata
Meganta
Mahva
Korokorobomb
Tac
Redead
Metroid
Masterhand
Crazyhand
Deathpod
GalIce
Metalface
notice
Mcblade
Waddledee
Flage
Bokkunmage
Cake
Shiroiobake
Bubble
Wanwanpile
Churine
Orne
Dafune
GalFire
Mastercore
Mite
Monoeye
Ohganemochi
Shinigami
Koshinigami
Pokkuri
Octorock
Kamek
Mcanimal
Mcfinal
Yellowdevil
Deathskull
Popperam
Jugem
Flyingman
Starman
Wanwan
icon
Bokkuncannon
Killercannon
Bokkun
Kuribo
Dekakuribo
Eggrobo
Mimicco
Cucco
Gordo
Reo
Heiho
Propellerheiho
Furiijio
Waddledoo
Togezo
Shotzo
inf_fs_notice_txt2_rep
inf_fs_notice_txt_rep
Plasmawisp
Mczakoplasmawisp
Devilcar
Whitebear
GalThunder
Killer
Magnumkiller
Kihunter
Critter
Generator
Mettaur
Stalfos
Mczakostalfos
Ghos
Darios
Mczakodarios
Hammerbros
Dogars
Bonkers
Peahat
Togemet
Nabbit
Mcgiant
Brontoburt
Ghost
Darknut
Subetenoyaminoou
Dosudosu
Totsukotsu
Ridley
Zully
Chappy
Tikibuzz

Okay, I will repost his quotes.

Fuck it, I'm just gonna put it out there:

(And I'm not saying this to troll fans or keep the hype up or whatever.)

I have a source who has been right about previous leaks and has worked on the European localization of the game. He says he has definitely seen moving models of Dixie, Ridley, Chorus Men and Mewtwo in the game and he's still confident that these four characters can be unlocked by linking the 3DS version to the Wii U version.

Now, I know how outlandish this sounds, and being a game journalist myself I'm taking this with a grain of salt myself, but we're talking about the guy who told me about the Bowser Jr. alts immediately after the ESRB leaks and has never been wrong about other stuff as well. Plus, the whole connectivity thing makes far too much sense, if only to get fans to buy both versions. *insert itprintsmoney.gif here*

Again, I swear on my soul that I'm not trolling. Time will tell. I thought Ridley was never gonna be in, but hey.

Let go with what he's saying. He already saw moving models of those 4 characters.

What if Mewtwo and Ridley are stage hazard bosses of their respective stages? Well, that would explains a lot about moving models. Awhile Dixie and Chorus Kids may got cut at the end of production and got pushed into DLC character roster.

Anything can happens with the production since nothing is set in the stone. That's why Gematsu Leak got hit pretty hard with Robin's reveal and Chorus Kid not being a part of current roster.

People were expecting Ridley with Melee? Oh wait - no they weren't. They were cheering for the return of Metroid, which hadn't seen a new game since the SNES. Watch later in the video - they cheer just as much for Samus when she's given a little intro showing off her moves.
That support is absolute and complete bullshit.

Neiteio

Ridley is the one character they can add to the roster that would generate incredible hype. He's legendary in the Smash community. And for more casual players, he'd quickly turn heads as one of the coolest-looking characters on the roster. :)

Golnei

Ridley is the one character they can add to the roster that would generate incredible hype. He's legendary in the Smash community. And for more casual players, he'd quickly turn heads as one of the coolest-looking characters on the roster. :)

If Ike, Lucas, Lucario and Wolf are any indication, we'd probably just get a lot of whining that they wasted a slot on a Charizard clone.

RomanceDawn

People were expecting Ridley with Melee? Oh wait - no they weren't. They were cheering for the return of Metroid, which hadn't seen a new game since the SNES. Watch later in the video - they cheer just as much for Samus when she's given a little intro showing off her moves.
That support is absolute and complete bullshit.

After that reveal trailer people did expect Ridley along with Wolf. Forget the cheering for Metroid in general, I don't think his last statement was implying that all that screaming was for Ridley(I do see people revise history and say that a lot though). After that intro was revealed I remember a lot of discussion regarding the Purple Dragon from Metroid and Wolf being playable.

Neiteio

If Ike, Lucas, Lucario and Wolf are any indication, we'd probably just get a lot of whining that they wasted a slot on a Charizard clone.
I'm confident the whiners would be drowned out by the celebration and hype the Smash community would explode with over such a historic character addition

Neiteio

For ridiculous reasons.
The reason is passion. And people are passionate about Ridley because

1) They love Metroid
2) Ridley is Samus' arch-nemesis
3) Ridley is a pirate space dragon

It's not rocket science. The reasons for wanting Ridley are perfectly valid. People have wanted him since Melee, and yet despite appearing in every game (including the background of the Zebes level in Smash 64), Ridley has not yet been playable. This has only made people want him more and more.

By which you mean legendary among insular American-based online communities, perhaps?

Neiteio

By which you mean legendary among insular American-based online communities, perhaps?
As I said, even casuals would find him appealing. But obviously the Smash fandom is where he is most wanted.

Then again, in a game where Wii Fit Trainer will be received just fine by the videogame-playing public, I'm sure a pirate space dragon would be plenty popular.

He's legendary in the Japanese ones too, but just more infamous than anything because they know we're obsessed with him. And are there really that many Smash communities that aren't online?

He's legendary in the Japanese ones too, but just more infamous than anything because they know we're obsessed with him. And are there really that many Smash communities that aren't online?
Yeah but the Japanese ones don't actually want him, it's just something to mock.

Hatchtag

Banned
If the Japanese can get Dark Pit in of all characters (seriously, he was heavily requested over there for some reason), we sure as hell deserve Ridley.

Muzy72

Banned
Spainkiller's source told him about the Koopaling alts after the ESRB leak but before we saw actual pictures of the alts, but that doesn't make him credible, because the Ninka/vaanrose leak talked about the Koopaling alts waaaay before the ESRB leaks.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Looking through more files.

Assist Trophy
Samurai Goroh
Dr. Wright
Devil
Andross
Metroid
Hammer Bro
Knuckle Joe
Saki Amamiya
Starfy
Waluigi
Jeff
Kat & Ana
Tingle
Lakitu & Spinies
Nintendog
Infantry & Tanks
Shadow
Lyn
Excitebike
Barbara
Ghirahim
Elec Man
Skull Kid
Midna
Mother Brain
Phosphora
Starman
Sheriff
Dark Samus
Ashley
Doc Louis
Nightmare
Ghosts (PAC-MAN)
ReDead
Dr. Kawashima
Takamaru
Prince of Sablé
Color TV-Game 15
Riki
Magnus
Dillon

So yeah. Doc Louis and ReDead were planned to be assist trophies or so. I wonder if they were planning to have ReDead as Goldeen of Assist Trophies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom