• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Son Of D

Trophy DLC would be so pointless if you ask me. No one is gonna shell out money for a trophy unless it's attached to said costumes. Music would be cool if it also accompanied stages.
Exactly. I can see DLC packs containing something like 2 characters, a stage, 6 songs, 4 costumes for other characters and about 10 trophies.

Just little bundles like that. By the way the numbers were pulled out of my ass.

Trophy DLC would be so pointless if you ask me. No one is gonna shell out money for a trophy unless it's attached to said costumes. Music would be cool if it also accompanied stages.

I meant that all three would go together.

I'm not trying to backseat moderate you, I'm just cluing you in to something you likely don't know about.

I didn't know about that actually, thanks.

I'll stop with the polling.

I only really got one newcomer I wanted in Little Mac, but that's alright. I much prefer getting characters that can bring a new playstyle/concept with thime, or characters that can promote something that isn't really represented properly in Smash. Characters like Wii Fit Trainer and Bowser Jr/Koopalings really interest me as a result.

That said, I'm actually more into veteran changes.

Golnei

Exactly. I can see DLC packs containing something like 2 characters, a stage, 6 songs, 4 costumes for other characters and about 10 trophies.

Just little bundles like that. By the way the numbers were pulled out of my ass.

If the DLC is more in line with MK8, that seems likely. For a game with such a reliance on multiplayer, fragmenting the userbase too much isn't a good idea.

Ahnez

So to actually get on topic, how do you think challenges will be in the Wii U version?
- Connect with a 3DS version of the game
- Beat Classic mode with all the characters (intensity 9.0)
- Beat classic mode in 4 minutes (intensity 7.5 or higher)
- Beat Classic mode without taking damage (intensity 2.0 or higher)
- Defeat the Master Core without using Special Attacks

I really expect some KIU level bullshit, You know.. :p

Fifth poll that I'm running:

When will character DLC for Super Smash Bros. be released?
A) Wii U version release
B) By the end of 2014
C) First half of 2015
D) Second half of 2015 and beyond
E) There won't be DLC

D. Announced in first half, released in second. They have no reason to rush.

If the DLC is more in line with MK8, that seems likely. For a game with such a reliance on multiplayer, fragmenting the userbase too much isn't a good idea.

But in Mario Kart 8, the different characters don't really matter. Tanooki Mario will undoubtedly have the exact same stats as Mario, and the car parts will likely have identical stats to ones already in the game as well. Other than tracks, the DLC for Mario Kart 8 is visual, and you won't be able to race on the new tracks online without having DLC.

In Smash Bros. the characters all act differently, even the clones. Playing against someone online who uses new characters wouldn't really be fair, and while I know this has happened in other games, it hasn't happened with Nintendo, and I doubt that Sakurai would go through with it.

I thought the first part of MK8 DLC was this year though?

It is - November 2014, followed up by May 2015.

DrStiles

- Connect with a 3DS version of the game
- Beat Classic mode with all the characters (intensity 9.0)
- Beat classic mode in 4 minutes (intensity 7.5 or higher)
- Beat Classic mode without taking damage (intensity 2.0 or higher)
- Defeat the Master Core without using Special Attacks

I really expect some KIU level bullshit, You know.. :p

Seriously, some of the challenges on the Hades Board require perfect playthrough of levels not to mention all of the Use the weapon least suited for this level on a high difficulty challenges. They were fun though

If DLC includes veterans, I could see the ratio biased in favour of characters. Though it's also possible that character and stage DLC packs will be kept separate due to the latter's version specificity.
Watch stage DLC just be the worst old stages returning lol

I thought the first part of MK8 DLC was this year though?

Yes, and? We're talking about Smash Bros DLC here. Nothin' to do with MK8.

Game's not even going to be out until November, I wouldn't expect a DLC announcement until February at the earliest. A release even later than that for sure.

Yes, and? We're talking about Smash Bros DLC here. Nothin' to do with MK8.

Game's not even going to be out until November, I wouldn't expect a DLC announcement until February at the earliest. A release even later than that for sure.
The point is it doesn't need to be rushed to come out in the first half of 2015.

Golnei

But in Mario Kart 8, the different characters don't really matter. Tanooki Mario will undoubtedly have the exact same stats as Mario, and the car parts will likely have identical stats to ones already in the game as well. Other than tracks, the DLC for Mario Kart 8 is visual, and you won't be able to race on the new tracks online without having DLC.

In Smash Bros. the characters all act differently, even the clones. Playing against someone online who uses new characters wouldn't really be fair, and while I know this has happened in other games, it hasn't happened with Nintendo, and I doubt that Sakurai would go through with it.

Mario Kart's characters don't matter too much, but the tracks absolutely do. Any hypothetical DLC stages and characters in Smash Bros. will most likely serve the same purpose as Mario Kart's DLC tracks in terms of not allowing those without them to view or use them online, which is why any DLC will probably come in the form of larger bundles.

Watch stage DLC just be the worst old stages returning lol

"For this DLC, we decided to use some of the stages we saw built in the Custom Stage Maker! Please enjoy all falling platforms and enclosed box stages!"

Challenge 186
Fast and the Furious

Defeat Sonic, Little Mac, and Sheik (all on Lvl. 9) as Ganondorf.

Not good enough - they're all going to be Lvl. 9 Sonic, and they're all going to be in Fast Brawl while Ganondorf will be in Slow Brawl.

Golnei

I can see it now. Four classic stages returning to help you settle it smash!
-75m
-New Pork City
-Icicle Mountain
-Rumble Falls

:'(

This is completely absurd - 75m and Rumble Falls will obviously be the only DK stages in the Wii U game, not DLC.

Mario Kart's characters don't matter too much, but the tracks absolutely do. Any hypothetical DLC stages and characters in Smash Bros. will most likely serve the same purpose as Mario Kart's DLC tracks in terms of not allowing those without them to view or use them online, which is why any DLC will probably come in the form of larger bundles.

I just have trouble seeing any DLC for characters not being free.
In Mario Kart 8, you can still play online with someone even if they're using a DLC character, you just can't play the new courses. But if you can't face off against DLC characters, then you're limiting the Online quite a bit.

johnbone

I must say, I'm really enjoying D! playing Kid Icarus Uprising on stream-it's funny to watch everyone in the chat saying "this is just like smash 4!" lol

Nintendo has been doing DLC like crazy, though. As for Sakurai...
But Smash character DLC would be different.

Sakurai actually likes DLC, he just believes in putting out a fully-made game. I don't think he'd put out useless DLC, he'd probably make something actually worth buying instead.

Then I guess maybe new modes and stages, but characters I have a hard time seeing.

The point is it doesn't need to be rushed to come out in the first half of 2015.

I'm just saying they have no reason to do it ASAP

Mario Kart 8 was released in May, the first DLC is being released in November. If we follow that pattern as a "minimum" DLC window, Smash Bros hits in November, so the first DLC would be May-ish at the earliest. And considering fighting game DLC is much more involved to produce, bugtest, and balance than a racing game's DLC I imagine it will be a little longer than that.

It could be early 2015 but I'm betting it's not.

DLC:

"Since giving a Final Destination form of each stage has been so popular, we've decided to expand it out. This time, we're adding New Pork City DLC! Each stage will have a background like you've already seen, but now we just put some platforms in front of it!"

Neoxon

But Smash character DLC would be different.

Then I guess maybe new modes and stages, but characters I have a hard time seeing.
Like you said, it has happened with other games, it's just a fact of life. What most games do is download the data to your system, but you just pay to access it. That way your system won't glitch out when fighting DLC characters you don't own.

Hatchtag

Banned

I don't think they'd do DLC without doing characters, even if it was just bringing back vets. They know how much fans would be pissed off if they did DLC and just did stages or modes. They know what people want.
I could see them releasing stages before characters, since they'd take much less time, but I can't see them just flat-out doing stages and not doing characters.

Fifth poll that I'm running:

When will character DLC for Super Smash Bros. be released?
A) Wii U version release
B) By the end of 2014
C) First half of 2015
D) Second half of 2015 and beyond
E) There won't be DLC

Poll ends when we get the announcement of the sixth Super Smash Bros.
Remember: no avatar bets are tied to this! Vote as you please!

Results:
A)
B) KLatin Scelus, Troubled Bat, -Horizon-
C) theprodigy
D)
E) The Captain, Pop-O-Matic

Links to previous polls:
-November 21 release date confirmation
-Character reveal date
-Next character reveal
-October 3's POTD
I'll go with C. The WiiU game will launch like a month and ahalf after the 3DS game. Thats not enough time to have DLC Ready. I predict an announcement as early as December or January tho. And I also predict each DLC character will get a trailer whilethe current secret unlockables won't.

Also do we know how long the CN CD offer lasts? I want it but don't think I'll get WiiU version at launch due to wanting other things. Its probably a first come first serve thing but I hope it lasts a couple months like the MK8 deal.

That's not so bad.

I thought you were going to say every major part of the stage got pulled apart, leaving a bunch of islands floating around lol

So like this:
300px-PalutenasTempleWiiUFull.png

I'm just saying they have no reason to do it ASAP

Mario Kart 8 was released in May, the first DLC is being released in November. If we follow that pattern as a "minimum" DLC window, Smash Bros hits in November, so the first DLC would be May-ish at the earliest. And considering fighting game DLC is much more involved to produce, bugtest, and balance than a racing game's DLC I imagine it will be a little longer than that.

It could be early 2015 but I'm betting it's not.

eh I suppose, I'm just thinking they won't release any DLC in 2016 and beyond

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom