• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Platy

People, remember that right now se only have confirmation of stage dlcs ... Not characters

I can see it now. Four classic stages returning to help you settle it smash!
-75m
-New Pork City
-Icicle Mountain
-Rumble Falls

:'(

I will always play on those stages in their final destination form as a sign of protest

Looks better than 90% of the 3DS stages.
Seriously, Smash 64 had a better stage selection.

Deciding to reuse Melee stages for a third time to represent an entire series without any new stage to replace it was an awful idea.

I hope the Donkey Kong stage on Wii U will be pretty damn good.

Richie

Kid Icarus already has so much representation in these Smash games, exaggeratedly so if you consider it only has three games over more than two decades, yet...

...After catching up with my Uprising playthrough (on Chapter
as we speak), it'd be a damn shame if we had Palutena's Temple as the only new KI stage, considering all the crazy locales you visit through the game.

In a perfect world we'd be in a Melee situation where most series get -at least- two new stages.

Caladrius

I think if we get any DLC it'll probably be a bundle of multiple game elements much like Mario Kart 8. I could be wrong of course, considering Namco are one half of the equation.

People, remember that right now se only have confirmation of stage dlcs ... Not characters

I will always play on those stages in their final destination form as a sign of protest

There's "next page" and "previous page" buttons for the character select screen as well as the stage select screen, that's good enough for me to assume that they were at least planning on character DLC at some point in development. They might have dropped the idea, but they might have dropped stage DLC as an idea too, no way to know.

I think both are safe bets, considering how big this game is for Nintendo.

Golnei

There's "next page" and "previous page" buttons for the character select screen as well as the stage select screen, that's good enough for me to assume that they were at least planning on character DLC at some point in development. They might have dropped the idea, but they might have dropped stage DLC as an idea too, no way to know.

It's plausible to expect DLC, but it's also a possibility that those icons were left over from a point in time before the shrinking character icons were implemented.

Caladrius

It just occurred to me that we have less than 5 days until Launch.

E3 2013 feels like it wasn't that long ago.

*glares*

I think I'm being tricked here

The only "Favorite gaffer" anyone needs is our glorious leader:

image.php

This is what you would think, but this is also Nintendo we're talking about here.

Hatchtag

Banned
whoa let's not get too crazy here
I'm not.
Stages in the 3DS version I like: Battlefield, Final Destination, Yoshi's Island, Arena Ferox, Corneria. Also kinda N's Castle, but almost solely for aesthetic purposes.
Stages in 64 I like: Just about all of them, except Mushroom Kingdom and Planet Zebes.

What's wrong with the SSB64 stages? Metal Cavern, Hyrule Castle, Saffron City and Mushroom Kingdom are among the series' best.

Absolutely nothing, but I mean, there's 9 of them (plus Metal Cavern) versus roughly 30.

If Nintendo is doing DLC for Mario Kart, Hyrule Warriors, Pikmin, Fire Emblem, New Super Mario Bros(2 and Wii U), and Mario Golf, I think Smash Bros DLC (which is a thing there is pretty big demand for and would sell very well both short and long-term) is something we can expect to see.

Again it's not like a 100% thing but Nintendo's pushed real hard into DLC lately and it's worked out well for them.

Looks better than 90% of the 3DS stages.
Seriously, Smash 64 had a better stage selection.
Smash 64 had an awesome stage selection, though. 64 stages > Brawl stages, I think.

I won't judge Smash 3DS until I get the full version in my hands. While it definitely doesn't have enough tournament-legal stages (which could have just been fixed if they had done something more PM-esque with the "FD" stages, like they SHOULD HAVE grumblegrumble), a lot of the stages look like they could be really fun, if not entirely neutral. Stretch things a little and stages like Tomodachi or Prism Tower could even be decent counterpicks.

Not

Banned
Do you really think Sakurai will give us character DLC? It just seems so unlike him to keep adding to the game after it's released; he's a completionist.

Hatchtag

Banned
Smash 64 had an awesome stage selection, though. 64 stages > Brawl stages, I think.

It really did. And while I like 64's original stages much more than most of Brawl's, the original good ones that Brawl had plus the high number of Melee ones it brought back makes me like it's stage selection more than 64s.
If I had to rank the stage selection, it'd be Melee>Brawl>64>3DS.
But yeah, 64's stage selection was just godly. It's my least favorite Smash, but the stage selection was so good that I kept coming back to it.

Do you really think Sakurai will give us character DLC? It just seems so unlike him to keep adding to the game after it's released; he's a completionist.
I dunno about that. Sakurai expressed interest in doing DLC/balance patches for Brawl, but couldn't because of the Wii architecture. Smash 4 DLC is a no-brainer - and even if Sakurai doesn't want it, I would bet money on Nintendo stepping in and making it happen anyway. It's a monetary gold mine.

Sakurai also said he wants this to be the best character game ever made. Do you think the present roster reflects that notion?

Smash 64 had the best ratio of good stages to bad stages, but that's really not fair considering how few there are.

Sakurai definitely seems to focus more and more on over-powering hazards every Smash title. The Yellow Devil and Flying Man are absolutely ridiculous, for instance.

Hatchtag

Banned
Smash 64 had the best ratio of good stages to bad stages, but that's really not fair considering how few there are.

Sakurai definitely seems to focus more and more on over-powering hazards every Smash title. The Yellow Devil and Flying Man are absolutely ridiculous, for instance.

Yeah, the stages have been increasingly less subtle with stage hazards, which I don't like. I think the same can be said with the items. They've become less and less about subtly mixing things up for variety, and more lethal things that completely change the flow of the game. I don't like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom