• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would rather have Miu from Fatal Frame V.

Could you explain Nintendo's relationship to the Fatal Frame series? It's all a bit confusing. The series starts off on PlayStation 2, but now we have Miyamoto promoting the next game? What's going on?

A horror rep would be cool. We only have Luigi.
2zFonq1.jpg

Fiktion

Banned
what exactly is Fatal Frame like anyway?

It's survival horror with Japanese style ghosts. You take pictures of the ghosts to defeat them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djXseay5FFM&list=UUkH3CcMfqww9RsZvPRPkAJA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=IqrVKlSMQPM

Could you explain Nintendo's relationship to the Fatal Frame series? It's all a bit confusing. The series starts off on PlayStation 2, but now we have Miyamoto promoting the next game? What's going on?

A horror rep would be cool. We only have Luigi.
It's a little complicated. Tecmo still owns the main Fatal Frame IP itself, which is why they released the first few games on PSN recently, but Nintendo co-owns the rights to Fatal Frame IV and every future game in the series including the upcoming V.

Nintendo also wholly owns the Spirit Camera IP, which is a spinoff of Fatal Frame. There is a Spirit Camera trophy in Smash 4.

CCxq5IS.png

Golnei

Fatal Frame was once multiplatform, but recently installments have been published by Nintendo due to their close relationship with KT. Apparently they also own the IP of the spinoff series Spirit Camera.

jph139

Fatal Frame rep could be cool. Maybe working like Frank West in the Capcom Vs. games, "summoning" ghosts and such. Neutral B takes a picture that makes a ghost appear to harass people. Side B is a camera flash that can paralyze enemies... and a the Final Smash can be a Fatal Frame, where a close-up first person shot of whoever you capture popping up before they rocket away.

An Assist Trophy doing the same sort of thing - snapping pictures and paralyzing people - would be good, too.

It's a little complicated. Tecmo still owns the main Fatal Frame IP itself, which is why they released the first few games on PSN recently, but Nintendo co-owns the rights to every future game in the series including the upcoming Fatal Frame V.

Nintendo also wholly owns the Spirit Camera IP, which is a spinoff of Fatal Frame. There is a Spirit Camera trophy in Smash 4.

CCxq5IS.png

Fatal Frame was once multiplatform, but recently installments have been published by Nintendo due to their close relationship with KT. Apparently they also own the IP of the spinoff series Spirit Camera.

How did Nintendo go about getting the rights to future installments but not IP?

I've often wondered if Nintendo would ever add characters from series they bought out.
Every time people bring up the possibility of Nintendo taking control over companies like Atlus or Capcom, I think about what would happen.
Would we get a whole bunch of Capcom characters in the next game, like Leon S. Kennedy? Or would they stick with Mega Man and keep the rest for trophies?

Fiktion

Banned
How did Nintendo go about getting the rights to future installments but not IP?

I've often wondered if Nintendo would ever add characters from series they bought out.
Every time people bring up the possibility of Nintendo taking control over companies like Atlus or Capcom, I think about what would happen.
Would we get a whole bunch of Capcom characters in the next game, like Leon S. Kennedy? Or would they stick with Mega Man and keep the rest for trophies?
I guess Tecmo decided the series needed first party support to survive, and Nintendo was willing to be that first party because they need games.

I think the fact that we got Shulk shows that Sakurai is all about expanding the family if the games are good.

tumblr_nbxmdbUJi61tjvv94o2_500.gif

Miu please.

Is there any particular reason Nintendo decided to buy part of the rights to a pre-existing IP like Fatal Frame? It brings some added variety to their library but they barely seem to do anything with it outside Japan and it doesn't seem like it's that big of a franchise in the first place.

Caladrius

Is there any particular reason Nintendo decided to buy part of the rights to a pre-existing IP like Fatal Frame? It brings some added variety to their library but they barely seem to do anything with it outside Japan and it doesn't seem like it's that big of a franchise in the first place.

Probably because it didn't cost that much for them.

Or they're crazy.

I guess Tecmo decided the series needed first party support to survive, and Nintendo was willing to be that first party because they need games.
Kind of like Bayonetta 2 and Devil's Third?

I think the fact that we got Shulk shows that Sakurai is all about expanding the family if the games are good.

There's all sorts of legal matters that complicate matters of who or what could make it into Smash.

Shulk is second party, correct? And all the Fire Emblem characters are too?
What about Pokemon? I've always assumed they were second party too, but recently someone told me that the games are second party, but the IP belongs to Nintendo.

Then there's the whole Rare thing. The Donkey Kong Country original trilogy was removed from the Wii Virtual Console, despite Nintendo owning the rights to Donkey Kong. I wonder if that's why there's been a lack of Donkey Kong material in Smash - they don't want to rely too heavily on external developers. Diddy Kong is, so far, the only Western-created character to make it in.

Fiktion

Banned
Kind of like Bayonetta 2 and Devil's Third?
Yeah.

Well there's going to be a movie and Fatal Frame V might get localized so we'll see.

There's all sorts of legal matters that complicate matters of who or what could make it into Smash.

Shulk is second party, correct? And all the Fire Emblem characters are too?
What about Pokemon? I've always assumed they were second party too, but recently someone told me that the games are second party, but the IP belongs to Nintendo.

Then there's the whole Rare thing. The Donkey Kong Country original trilogy was removed from the Wii Virtual Console, despite Nintendo owning the rights to Donkey Kong. I wonder if that's why there's been a lack of Donkey Kong material in Smash - they don't want to rely too heavily on external developers. Diddy Kong is, so far, the only Western-created character to make it in.
As far as I know, Monolith is a subsidiary so Shulk should be first party. I'm not entirely sure how the Intelligent Systems stuff works, I would assume Nintendo owns the IPs outright. The Pokemon IP is controlled by three different companies, one of which is Nintendo, another a subsidiary, so they have majority ownership but not full ownership. I think.

Richie

Closest thing I could think of is stuff like the Killer Instinct references in DKC2; but with WaveRace 64, there's precedence of them changing background details if they pose a legal threat, so it beats me...

Well there's going to be a movie and Fatal Frame V might get localized so we'll see.
I really hope it's getting localized. I hate how all the Nintendo games I would love to throw my money at Day 1 either don't come over or take their sweet ass time if they do decide to.
I'm afraid I have some bad news for you.

As far as I know, Monolith is a subsidiary so Shulk should be first party. I'm not entirely sure how the Intelligent Systems stuff works, I would assume Nintendo owns the IPs outright. The Pokemon IP is controlled by three different companies, one of which is Nintendo, another a subsidiary, so they have majority ownership but not full ownership. I think.
... and this is why Nintendo EAD characters are always the safest bets.

Closest thing I could think of is stuff like the Killer Instinct references in DKC2; but with WaveRace 64, there's precedence of them changing background details if they pose a legal threat, so it beats me...
And of course the whole Earthbound for Wii Virtual Console thing.

Semi-relevant to Smash: Update for Wii U brings folders. If you're someone like me who really, really likes organizing things, get psyched. I actually became more excited seeing this announcement than the Mario Kart 8 DLC.
Finally my Wii U home screen won't look like absolute ass.

Yeah, Shulk is first party unless you're one of the weird people who only count Kyoto/EAD as 'Nintendo'. Intelligent Systems isn't technically owned by Nintendo, but neither is HAL Laboratory. I think the characters might be licensed from both companies for their inclusion in Smash, but given the closeness between them and Nintendo and that Nintendo probably owns the games they appear in (through publishing) it's more a formality than say, getting Mega Man or Sonic approved. Same deal, pretty much, for Game Freak; a very close third party with a co-owned IP.

Jawmuncher

Damn all this FF talk.
I really hope it's getting localized. I hate how all the Nintendo games I would love to throw my money at Day 1 either don't come over or take their sweet ass time if they do decide to.

Speaking of Smash, here is a quiz to determine which character you are: http://www.dorkly.com/post/69013/quiz-which-nintendo-character-are-you

I got Mario
You think you're the center of the universe - but judge yourself honestly: you're out of shape, you're far past your prime, and no one respects you. People think they can take things away from you with no consequences, others are challenging you constantly, and the truth is that you're about as middle-of-the-road as they come. You're nothing special, and you're the least interesting one in any group. ... pretty accurate -_-
I got Yoshi. lmao

You eat and eat and eat - but nothing can fill the void within you. You're a disposable part of society - you have usefulness to be exploited by others, but you have no agency over yourself. You are the world's Kleenex - except your ultimate fate will not have the dignity afforded to a used Kleenex.

Hatchtag

Banned
That hasn't been true though. I mean, we have four Fire Emblem reps and a ton of Pokemon.

Yeah, I feel like betting that Pokemon and Fire Emblem get reps in a new Smash game is much safer than, say, Zelda or Mario (even if Mario did get 2 newcomers this time).

That hasn't been true though. I mean, we have four Fire Emblem reps and a ton of Pokemon.
I guess most of the major EAD characters are already taken.
Still calling Inkling for the next Smash Bros. game in the first batch of newcomers announced. It's a really safe bet, but still.
Yeah, I feel like betting that Pokemon and Fire Emblem get reps in a new Smash game is much safer than, say, Zelda or Mario (even if Mario did get 2 newcomers this time).
It's rather weird to think that Zelda hasn't evolved in terms of characters since Melee. Sure, Zelda and Sheik have gone their separate ways, and Toon Link was a (superior) replacement for Young Link, but we haven't seen anything really new come from the series in terms of characters.
I guess that's why we had so many Zelda items this time around?

I organized my entire Wii U menu into ten icons.

Disc - Wii Menu - eShop (download games) - Classics (Virtual Console & remakes) - Demos & Free
New Super Mario Bros. U - Game & Wario - Video (streaming services) - Apps - (random stuff like Mii Maker and Daily Log) - Settings

Sure, I only had four games for the eShop and VC each, but it feels really good to get it all cleaned up. Best is getting all the apps and demos out of the way.
I wasn't kidding about me being excited by this. I literally gasped and jumped a bit in my seat when I saw "Wii U folder update" - I can't think of anything game related in the past few months that's gotten the same reaction.
I really like organization.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Playing Hyrule Warriors has actually re-hyped me for Smash 4. I was a bit bummed out by some of the roster choices, and the lack of modes, which is how I felt for Hyrule Warriors. Now that I got it, I'm loving it, so I'm more optimistic I'll enjoy Smash 4.

Now to decide how to divide up the playtime.

Playing Hyrule Warriors has actually re-hyped me for Smash 4. I was a bit bummed out by some of the roster choices, and the lack of modes, which is how I felt for Hyrule Warriors. Now that I got it, I'm loving it, so I'm more optimistic I'll enjoy Smash 4.

Now to decide how to divide up the playtime.

I'm still disappointed by the Hyrule Warriors roster, since it's missing a considerable amount of characters. Tingle, a series staple, should've been in in some form, and the entire "Celda" sub-branch was completely ignored, save for the Wind Waker weapon which, strangely enough, only plays songs from Ocarina of Time. It's disappointing that less than a quarter of the Zelda series is being represented properly.

I know they brought up the possibility of a sequel, which I would be all for. Hopefully they could add in some Wind Waker environments like the Forsaken Fortress or Dragon Roost Island, and bosses like the Helmaroc King and Molgera. Characters like Tetra, Makar, and Medli would be wonderful additions. I don't even think the art style would be too jarring if they didn't want to change it (I personally find Cia to not fit in with the series at all).
And I think a Four Sword weapon would be awesome.

Golnei

I'm still disappointed by the Hyrule Warriors roster, since it's missing a considerable amount of characters. Tingle, a series staple, should've been in in some form, and the entire "Celda" sub-branch was completely ignored, save for the Wind Waker weapon which, strangely enough, only plays songs from Ocarina of Time. It's disappointing that less than a quarter of the Zelda series is being represented properly.

I know they brought up the possibility of a sequel, which I would be all for. Hopefully they could add in some Wind Waker environments like the Forsaken Fortress or Dragon Roost Island, and bosses like the Helmaroc King and Molgera. Characters like Tetra, Makar, and Medli would be wonderful additions. I don't even think the art style would be too jarring if they didn't want to change it (I personally find Cia to not fit in with the series at all).
And I think a Four Sword weapon would be awesome.

Tingle is a likely candidate for DLC, but the Adult Timeline and 2D games' absence was disappointing. If a full sequel is made, they'll likely be included alongside Zelda U representation: after DLC, the first HW would have included 28 movesets - seeing as they'll all be recycled, a significantly higher amount of games represented with characters for the sequel is probably a safe expectation. Unless 50% of the work done is on original characters and new weapons for Link / Lana, of course.

Zubz

Banned
I would rather have Miu from Fatal Frame V.

FFV_Image_19.jpg

I need to play those games. If the new one comes here, I'll be all over it. And I would totally be down for a horror rep in Smash Bros. as well; without Alex Rovias or John Raimi having a chance in hell (Surprised Geist didn't even get a trophy, though; Raimi could be awesome on the roster, too, no matter how bad his game was, but I don't think Geist was in Brawl outside of the Chronicles), Fatal Frame's the next best shot we have. Just make it a Spirit Camera character so the rep's non-3rd Party, taking the chances of other 3rd Parties like Snake, Bayonetta, or Bomberman, and it'd be completely ideal (I know that means no Miu, but the idea of a rep who uses a camera to stun and has a general spookiness to her is something I support wholeheartedly).

I don't know guys, I can feel it in my bones, Ridley pic tonight.

Mariolee, you look different tonight!

tumblr_ncogk1OXHE1r0on59o1_500.png

its happening

Kotick_shrug.gif

I'm going digital with this, so it doesn't matter to me until it hits the eShop. At least Nintendo Ninjas won't strike like they did with XY, since there's nothing really to hide this time. Cool for those who want it physically and can find a store breaking street date, though!

Tingle is a likely candidate for DLC, but the Adult Timeline and 2D games' absence was disappointing. If a full sequel is made, they'll likely be included alongside Zelda U representation: after DLC, the first HW would have included 28 movesets - seeing as they'll all be recycled, a significantly higher amount of games represented with characters for the sequel is probably a safe expectation. Unless 50% of the work done is on original characters and new weapons for Link / Lana, of course.

I'm honestly really surprised they completely ignored A Link to the Past - it's arguably the most influential Zelda game in the series.
Kotick_shrug.gif

I'm going digital with this, so it doesn't matter to me until it hits the eShop. At least Nintendo Ninjas won't strike like they did with XY, since there's nothing really to hide this time. Cool for those who want it physically and can find a store breaking street date, though!
379ch.gif

Nah, it's fine. I just wanted a chance to use this one.
#TeamRetail

-Horizon-

I guess some games are going to leak so soon.
I guess its nice for the people who get to play a couple of days earlier but there's nothing new to learn so I'm not really bothered by leaks happening anymore.
surprise playable Miku US version exclusive, Japan riots ensue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom