• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Miku gif #1211999

aem5BEv.gif

The superior character who started out in a non-video game medium yet has appeared on Nintendo systems giving the remotest of chances for playability.

I meant games are going to be leak to public, but yeah wrong usage of words.

Breaking the street date is a better term.

aem5BEv.gif

The superior character who started out in a non-video game medium yet has appeared on Nintendo systems giving the remotest of chances for playability.

That's not Godzilla man, he's too fat. #TeamMiku

/s for those who need an identifier

Is it standard procedure here to respond to announcements by using gifs?
That's not Godzilla man, he's too fat. #TeamMiku

/s for those who need an identifier

I love the news. It's so bad.

"'New American Godzilla is too fat!' says all of Japan, based on a few forum posts we found."

-Horizon-

aem5BEv.gif

Ridley has really let himself go.

tumblr_static_tumblr_mqmxzew9bf1rtq119o1_500.gif

Now quiet as I try to capture all these Mikus.

Zubz

Banned
I'm honestly really surprised they completely ignored A Link to the Past - it's arguably the most influential Zelda game in the series.

Nah, it's fine. I just wanted a chance to use this one.
#TeamRetail

Maybe they wanted to save some big games for a sequel? And yeah, but it's nice to have the game on hand. It's worked wonders for Pokemon Y; I can have Kid Icarus or something in the cartridge slot and still always have Pokemon, since over 3/4 of my 3DS owning friends have X or Y. Smash Bros. is going to be slightly less popular with the lot, but again, I'll always have it on hand so I can play whenever, or fight wherever just so long as I have my 3DS. I foresee a lot of loitering at restaurants ahead of us.

Godzilla: The superior character who started out in a non-video game medium yet has appeared on Nintendo systems giving the remotest of chances for playability.

Superior to Miku, clearly, but keep your eyes on the tangentially-Nintendo-related prize, Cap'n!

uRzAF.gif

I forget whose list of characters it was, but between Popeye and Urban Champion being 2 Ice Climbers-esque characters whose goal is to fight each other, that list of potential newcomers really has me hoping for the impossible.

The home stretch
GujFkUe.jpg

See, Horizon? You could be the Shaq GIF guy. But you're the Miku guy. Who's less likely to get you shoved in the locker?

Spoilers: Not this.
29-shaq-bird-hands-shaq-gifs.gif

No more anime people.

Dammit, Sakurai. Where's Doc Brown, Sandman, Wart, and yes, Ridley?

Where's that Gameboy Mole guy?
Prince Sable.. Old school Wario?
Eggplant wizard? Where are Ice Climbers.. Why not retool them into a single character like they are in the actual Ice Climber game?

Duck Hunt Dog is a start, but we need more classic game reps. New Nintendo has nothing on classic Nintendo.

Also, what's the deal with no alternate costumes? Played some Project M 3.02 tonight, and those alternate costumes are incredibly cool. Dr. Mario set as an alt costume as he should be.

Imagine 'Boshi' and other nostalgic costumes from the extensive library of games from these characters.

Ridley has really let himself go.
Hey! American Godzilla is not fat! He's just big boned!
Superior to Miku, clearly, but keep your eyes on the tangentially-Nintendo-related prize, Cap'n!
uRzAF.gif
Popeye? Don't you mean the original Mario?
No more anime people.

This is a situation where commas are important.
Either you mean you don't want more anime characters in Smash, or you want people to stop posting anime gifs.

Golnei

Also, what's the deal with no alternate costumes? Played some Project M 3.02 tonight, and those alternate costumes are incredibly cool. Dr. Mario set as an alt costume as he should be.

Imagine 'Boshi' and other nostalgic costumes from the extensive library of games from these characters.

Alternate costumes take time and resources away from staff assigned to model completely new characters, and the few alt characters that were initially included (Dr. Mario, Lucina) were bumped to full character status due to other development issues. Project M has none of those constraints - the volunteer staff can be entirely dedicated to adding costumes for characters already present rather than acting under deadlines to implement new content.

Zubz

Banned
Popeye? Don't you mean the original Mario?

Exactly. That's why I want to give him a chance; he may not initially have been a video game character, but he's integral to Nintendo history. Plus, he's Public Domain almost everywhere but in good old ass-backwards copyright-wise America! ... Although not being a video game character originally does hurt his chances... entirely.

I still remember when people on here said he was a sensible choice.

that was another golden smashgaf moment

Remember all those times Miku was suggested as a genuine character possibility because of her appearance in two rhythm games? It's still happening.
If Miku can make it in, Popeye and Godzilla can make it in too. We need the biggest mess of IPs possible.
I really want to see Ronald McDonald and the Burger King duke it out.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I'm honestly really surprised they completely ignored A Link to the Past - it's arguably the most influential Zelda game in the series.
l

Yeah, but much of what Link to the Past introduced inspired the 3D games, so it's more or less "represented" quite a bit considering a lot of the music, items, and such originated with it.

Azure J

No more anime people.

Dammit, Sakurai. Where's Doc Brown, Sandman, Wart, and yes, Ridley?

Where's that Gameboy Mole guy?
Prince Sable.. Old school Wario?
Eggplant wizard? Where are Ice Climbers.. Why not retool them into a single character like they are in the actual Ice Climber game?

Duck Hunt Dog is a start, but we need more classic game reps. New Nintendo has nothing on classic Nintendo.

You know, GAF is inching closer to needing a giant first page bulleted response from a mod stating that "anime" is not a not a descriptor, has never been an adjective to describe Japanese character or art design and will never be adequate enough to use as a catch all when airing out concerns or criticism about characters in Japanese made games.

This is slowly becoming one of my biggest pet peeves in discussions lately.

I also find it funny that you'd mention Prince Sable here when he could very easily fall into that "anime" catch all you've mentioned here.

Zubz

Banned
Why doesn't Wart get any love? I like that toad. He's got moxie.

I know; I was kind of hoping he'd be an Assist Trophy, or at least a Trophy, but he wasn't even a sticker in Brawl. I mean, he's in NES Remix, but does anyone outside of Nintendo themselves count that as a real Wart appearance?

Wart's someone I've wanted to see return to the Mario series for some time, incidentally; I had such high hopes when I saw how many parallels 3D World had to SMB2. I thought the Sprixies were Subconians, and Peach's unkidnapped state made me think Bowser wasn't showing up, so I thought there was a chance. Alas, thanks to MK8's clone & baby/kid roster, we can't even get Diddy in these spin-offs anymore.

Dimmle

I know; I was kind of hoping he'd be an Assist Trophy, or at least a Trophy, but he wasn't even a sticker in Brawl. I mean, he's in NES Remix, but does anyone outside of Nintendo themselves count that as a real Wart appearance?

Wart's someone I've wanted to see return to the Mario series for some time, incidentally; I had such high hopes when I saw how many parallels 3D World had to SMB2. I thought the Sprixies were Subconians, and Peach's unkidnapped state made me think Bowser wasn't showing up, so I thought there was a chance. Alas, thanks to MK8's clone & baby/kid roster, we can't even get Diddy in these spin-offs anymore.

He's got a unique sort of mob boss vibe, too. At least, that's what I've always read into him.

You know, GAF is inching closer to needing a giant first page bulleted response from a mod stating that "anime" is not a not a descriptor, has never been an adjective to describe Japanese character or art design and will never be adequate enough to use as a catch all when airing out concerns or criticism about characters in Japanese made games.

This is slowly becoming one of my biggest pet peeves in discussions lately.

I also find it funny that you'd mention Prince Sable here when he could very easily fall into that "anime" catch all you've mentioned here.

I say 'anime characters' because I know you guys know exactly what I mean. They have so little unique characteristics other than their wardrobe and what kind of sword they're carrying.

I'm kind of irked that Pit and crew is as 'anime' as they are. I'd rather he look more like this:

kic.jpg

This is at least cute, and different.

PdbFbA8.png

This mole guy is so cool. Great Nintendo character right here, and would fit into Smash so well:

mole-mania1.jpg

We need more villains in Mario. Bowser is classic, yeah, but let's mix it up...

180px-Wart3.jpg

Doc would be a great 'clone' of Little Mac.. slower, with a few different abilities, including busting out the bicycle a la Wario's Bike.

DLPO2--article_image.jpg

More female reps, AND a Wario rep:

300px-WLSSyrup.png

If they want to focus on Wacky Wario Ware Wario, please get some Mona or Jimmy in there!

thumb.png

We also need a Rhythm Heaven rep at this point.. these guys, or the girl who often shows up:

1.jpg

rhythm_heaven_conceptart_iYgm5.jpg

I'm also down for some Donkey Kong 3 Stanley:

StanleyTheBugman.jpg

These guys would make an amazing team character:

germs.jpg

And finally... yes.. Captain Toad!
Toad has been a big deal since the original Super Mario Bros. Get this guy in here one way or another. Replace Peach's Toad attack with something else..

200px-Toad_Brigade_Captain_Artwork_-_Super_Mario_3D_World.png

There really are a ton of unused and interesting choices for possible character inclusion.. and no need to throw in any more pokemon!

Azure J

I say 'anime characters' because I know you guys know exactly what I mean. They have so little unique characteristics other than their wardrobe and what kind of sword they're carrying.

I'm kind of irked that Pit and crew is as 'anime' as they are. I'd rather he look more like this:

I guess I can understand you better now, sorry if I seemed to come at you too hard. At the same time, there's a lot of characters who I feel would add a lot to the game but could be overlooked due to sharing similarities in aesthetic design to others present in the roster and I'm also not a big fan of the casting characters who do fit this mold aside because they don't look "toony" enough, quirky enough or creature like. It also downplays the diversity in those characters just because they are more humanoid than others.

Kangi

Final Comic

http://cdn.brawlinthefamily.keenspot.com/comics/2014-09-30-599-MMAFD5small.jpg[IMG]

Alt text: [spoiler] Thanks. [/spoiler][/QUOTE]

Still one more to go.

In retrospect, I have only one complaint about the comic as a whole: I really wish Diddy didn't get sidelined as much as he did. For setting him up as Kirby's best friend, giving him major appearances, establishing him as one of the major characters, etc. he sure did disappear for most of the latter half of the comic's run. Outside of this and a few cameos, he's had - what? One, two appearances in the past few years? Kind of sad.

Drago

Final Comic

Alt text:
Thanks.
Beautiful ending (though there is still Friday's comic!). Gonna miss it, easily my favorite webcomic probably ever. I really have been reading it for almost 6 whole years now, fuck. Time flies... thanks for everything, Matt. ;_;

I should really buy those BitF anthology books.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Someone cut together all of the "clapping" poses from Brawl so we can recreate the Evangelion ending.

Zubz

Banned
Final Comic

So glad Waluigi got in one last time. It was a cheesy ending, but good nonetheless. I'm gonna miss this comic now that it's gone, but again, I'm so glad Matt's going to be able to move on to bigger or better things!
The proposed Waluigi ending would've been the best, though.

Someone cut together all of the "clapping" poses from Brawl so we can recreate the Evangelion ending.

Although less sentimental, that might honestly be a better ending. The best part is, it's one we can make ourselves!

Azure J

Someone should voice them all. Thing is, I don't know if "Congratulations Sakurai" or "Congratulations (insert cut character here)" works better with the context of that scene.

I almost said Lucas in the second template. :lol

Zubz

Banned
Someone should voice them all. Thing is, I don't know if "Congratulations Sakurai" or "Congratulations (insert cut character here)" works better with the context of that scene.

I almost said Lucas in the second template. :lol

It hurts, but it's very true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom