• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

All of the Walmarts near me list for pickup on 10/07 :/

The question were trying to figure out now is that adding a copy to your cart will say the store has it in stock. Whether it's a glitch on that page or the other or perhaps just something didn't update. Still odd though.

It was on both.

Well that answers that.
Would make me bet that adding it into cart and seeing the pick-up today is just a glitch.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
We've been over this plenty of times.

Clones take less development. He didn't "replace" anyone. Like, six clones can be made in the time it takes to do one character apparently, or so was the case with Melee.

Dark Pit is fairly popular, from a new game (and Sakurai's own), and took little effort to do. Yeah, you can hate him, but the idea he took a spot away from Ridley, Isaac, etc. is ridiculous. If those characters lost a spot, it was because of Rosalina or Greninja, characters who took a lot of time to make.

Just like with Brawl, people blame the clones like Wolf and Toon Link from taking slots, when in reality it was Sonic who messed things up.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Smash Run is better than I expected and is probably the best way to get custom items. I can see people not liking it at all though.

cmklkTl.png
I was in a stream a few years ago where a lets player was reading that among other fanfic for laughs, I think its called metroid highschool and even has a self insert of the author, I think her name was samusXridley22 or something like that, samus ended up pregnant with ridley's baby, was hilarious.

The question were trying to figure out now is that adding a copy to your cart will say the store has it in stock. Whether it's a glitch on that page or the other or perhaps just something didn't update. Still odd though.

Well that answers that.
Would make me bet that adding it into cart and seeing the pick-up today is just a glitch.

If it's a glitch that let's me get the game early I'm all for it.

new to the thread. i was just wondering, has it been talked about why dark pit is a full character? so many characters could have filled that slot. someone from golden sun, sin and punishment, or advance wars. and if theyre gonna put a dark character in (which imo is a terrible choice), shouldnt it be the "dark hunter" aka dark samus? that character is actually more than just a different color samus, and metroid is missing representation

Not all characters are created equal. It's not as simple as saying "Why didn't they make another completely original character instead of this clone?" Making an original character requires so, so, so much work. Designers have to design the character's playstyle and attacks, and balance the character. Artists have to make the model, texture it, animate it. It would also require a unique stage based on the series it reps, and a bunch of sound design would have to be created.

There probably wasn't room in the budget or schedule to generate one more entirely unique character.

Generating Dark Pit was a way to add another character to the roster while doing minimal work. Use the Pit Model, create a few unique moves, change some of the statistics of the attacks, create a final smash, write a handful of lines and get the VA in there. It probably cost a fraction of the man-hours that making a unique character would've required.

I feel really weird saying this, but don't take the ESRB leak as gospel. It was close to the final build, but still had things like the Tharja trophy.

What would really clear this up is someone with an early US copy posting images of the character select screen showing that it is indeed "Duck Hunt" instead of "Duck Hunt Duo." Maybe along with someone like Bowser or Robin, just to show that it is an English version.

I hope you were listening to this version.

TOOTHACHE
STOMACHACHE
CANCER
HEMORRHOIDS
TO THE MOON
What the hell is this?

Clones take less development. He didn't "replace" anyone. Like, six clones can be made in the time it takes to do one character apparently, or so was the case with Melee.

I think Dark Pit may have been there to fill in for Ice Climbers, but only because Ice Climbers were cut anyway.

Would depend if the staff would let it go through
This is how some people got Hyrule Warriors a day early at Best Buy/

Sadly im not that close to Syracuse so I can't try.

Ok so my local store was also showing "10/7", but I wanted to see what you were looking at there so I clicked "Change Location" and typed in "East Syracuse NY" and hit "Find". When the page refreshed my saved local store was still listed at the top but now it showed "Today" instead of "10/7" for my local store. I then closed that box and clicked pre-order and on the next page it showed "Today" for pickup at my local store.

I have no idea if this will work with every store, but its worth a shot. I just got an order confirmation for my local store saying pickup Sept 30th.

EDIT:

Yeah but when you add it to your cart some of them show up as "pick up today."

Right now we're trying to figure out if it's just a glitch or if those stores actually have it.

Ah okay so this is probably what actually happened for me since I didn't try just adding to cart at first.

Man, they really fucked up not giving you different models for the various Robin alts. I just remembered my FEA save, and what could have been

ByzhbyyIQAA7pQx.jpg:large

Veeboy

God dang it all this talk and prerelease hype are making me second guess my decision to go full wii u. I already added smash 3ds to my cart on amazon. The only reason I didn't buy it was because I can't buy a prime membership on mobile at the same time.

I need willpower to make it through the next month.

Never mind. Gonna buy it. I'm weak.

Ok so my local store was also showing "10/7", but I wanted to see what you were looking at there so I clicked "Change Location" and typed in "East Syracuse NY" and hit "Find". When the page refreshed my saved local store was still listed at the top but now it showed "Today" instead of "10/7" for my local store. I then closed that box and clicked pre-order and on the next page it showed "Today" for pickup at my local store.

I have no idea if this will work with every store, but its worth a shot. I just got an order confirmation for my local store saying pickup Sept 30th.

EDIT:

Ah okay so this is probably what actually happened for me since I didn't try just adding to cart at first.

No, the method worked for me as well and I had something in my. Going to call beforehand of course but this is worth a shot.

Tansut

The moment someone successfully confirms this store pickup method I'm totally pulling the trigger and giving it a shot.

No, the method worked for me as well and I had something in my. Going to call beforehand of course but this is worth a shot.
Imo if Walmart is less than a 10-15 minute drive it's more worth it to not call.

On the off chance the electronics department is on the up and up and they answer they will then prevent the transaction.

Store pickup, the back desk person will grab it and take it back so when you go to pick it up it will already be at the desk. Less questions, less issues, and a better chance of getting it early.

If they say no to me I'll be polite and then just cancel the order.

The moment someone successfully confirms this store pickup method I'm totally pulling the trigger and giving it a shot.

I was in my local walmart yesterday and the worker told me they were getting a shipment of games today when I asked him about smash since they had the placeholders set up.

Who knows?

God dang it all this talk and prerelease hype are making me second guess my decision to go full wii u. I already added smash 3ds to my cart on amazon. The only reason I didn't buy it was because I can't buy a prime membership on mobile at the same time.

I need willpower to make it through the next month.

Never mind. Gonna buy it. I'm weak.

I'm having a hard time resisting too, but the main reason why I'm not buying it is because of local slowdown. Other friends who were going to buy it are skipping it for the same reason. It's a fairly big issue - the main reason I play Smash is to play with friends.
Other issues include a weaker stage selection (even stages I was hyped for like Paper Mario ended up not being too great), uncomfortable controls (I've played the demo), and lack of customization where it really matters (item frequency, Smash Run).
I'm going Wii U only and I don't think I'll regret it. I might pick up the 3DS version if it goes on sale, or if I get a New 3DS.

Yeah, Store Pick-up is the best way to go because they do not run things through the computer if you do it that way. Although I think Wal-Mart is glitching because it does not let me Store Pick-up the game.

Veeboy

I'm having a hard time resisting too, but the main reason why I'm not buying it is because of local slowdown. Other friends who were going to buy it are skipping it for the same reason. It's a fairly big issue - the main reason I play Smash is to play with friends.
Other issues include a weaker stage selection (even stages I was hyped for like Paper Mario ended up not being too great), uncomfortable controls (I've played the demo), and lack of customization where it really matters (item frequency, Smash Run).
I'm going Wii U only and I don't think I'll regret it. I might pick up the 3DS version if it goes on sale, or if I get a New 3DS.
Yeah I know. I think I might buy TWEWY or Rune Factory 4 or some other great game I've never played before. Luckily I'm working till 8 which should give me some time to build up resolve.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Imo if Walmart is less than a 10-15 minute drive it's more worth it to not call.

On the off chance the electronics department is on the up and up and they answer they will then prevent the transaction.

Store pickup, the back desk person will grab it and take it back so when you go to pick it up it will already be at the desk. Less questions, less issues, and a better chance of getting it early.

If they say no to me I'll be polite and then just cancel the order.

Of course if your electronics people also handle the in-store pickup then you are probably SOL. As is the case in the store nearest me.

DrStiles

Yeah, Store Pick-up is the best way to go because they do not run things through the computer if you do it that way. Although I think Wal-Mart is glitching because it does not let me Store Pick-up the game.

I just put my order in for store pick up at the walmart by my house. Figure I'll just cancel it if the plan doesn't work out. Says it should be ready for pick up by 8pm est. I'll report back with what happens.

Jawmuncher

I just put my order in for store pick up at the walmart by my house. Figure I'll just cancel it if the plan doesn't work out. Says it should be ready for pick up by 8pm est. I'll report back with what happens.

I want to try as well just for the sake of trying.
How can you cancel a Pick Up In Store Order?
You're not charged until you go to the store I assume?

DrStiles

I want to try as well just for the sake of trying.
How can you cancel a Pick Up In Store Order?
You're not charged until you go to the store I assume?

At check out it said if you don't pick up the game within 14 days your credit card gets refunded. I also imagine that if the transaction gets shut down at the pick up desk, they can probably cancel it there as well.

Good luck guys. Right now mine says it'll be ready by 7:30pm est, but I won't be able to reach the store until a little after 9pm est. Hopefully if this goes through they do not wise up before then.

At check out it said if you don't pick up the game within 14 days your credit card gets refunded. I also imagine that if the transaction gets shut down at the pick up desk, they can probably cancel it there as well.
Correct.

My pickup time is 548 central time but I won't be there until closer to 7.

Yeah I know. I think I might buy TWEWY or Rune Factory 4 or some other great game I've never played before. Luckily I'm working till 8 which should give me some time to build up resolve.

I'm always really careful with spending money. I usually take about a week to decide if I really want to buy something, and most times I decide against it.
Smash Bros. for 3DS has been one of the tougher decisions - I've been thinking about it for months. Even though it got good reviews, I think I'll pass. I'm already dishing out a hundred dollars for the bundle, so an extra forty on top of it for a game I'm not even sure I would play too often come November 21 (probably) is a bit excessive for me.

I don't want to seem too negative, or indicate that I hate the 3DS version. It just seemed that you were asking for some backup. Whatever you decide is fine.

One of my Wal-Mart stores says today but whenever I go to order it; it won't let me select store pick up.

How did you guys select the store pick up option?

New Edit: NVM just switched to Fire Fox and the option showed up. I hope this works.

backlot

People on Reddit are saying they got turned away by the in store pick up desk when they went to get the game. It's a far enough drive for me that I don't think I'm gonna try this today. Curious to know if it works for any of you guys, though!

So what happens with Brawl in the Family on Friday? Wasn't that supposed to be the last comic?

I didn't like the ending. I didn't really see how the whole transforming thing that happened early in the comic connected to Master Hand leaving. It also felt a little bit cheesy.

Jawmuncher

The dream is dead. Just got an email from Walmart saying in store pickup for today wasn't available. They said it would be Friday.

Looks like they caught the mistake.
Also looks like i'll just be waiting on that 14 day refund policy since i'm getting this midnight.

I'm not surprised Wal-Mart fixed the issue. This whole thing reminds me of situations like this. One guy figures out some kind of exploit and then shares it, giving it the awareness needed to get it removed.

I had my Lucina avatar the day she was announced as playable. Horizon and I had a great day that day because we both wanted her to get in Smash 4.

All this talk of picking it up early is kind of pissing me off, since I preordered at Worst Buy. I still haven't heard a word about if they will actually have our gold coins on launch after that awful bait & switch they pulled during the E3 "tournament."

If they don't hand them out, I don't even know what I'm going to do-- I don't bother preordering any game, let alone at Best Buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom