• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zubz

Banned
Not really sure where we're all at on this, but I can 100% confirm that it's just "Duck Hunt" in the US version. It's not "Duck Hunt Duo" or anything else; my guess is that's the European version or something.

I too am really bummed out about X getting the fighting game shaft, especially when he's probably the one Mega Man character most well-suited to being in a fighting game alongside Zero (but he's just so much cooler than Zero). That said, I wouldn't be happy with him as a clone; canonically, he's many, many times more powerful than Mega Man and doesn't use any of the same weapons (and is a lot taller, to boot), so it just wouldn't feel authentic (in the same way that having him as an alt skin for Zero in MvC 3 didn't feel authentic).

He really, really should have been in MvC 3. He was the #1 most-requested character by fans, after all; too bad Niitsuma has this weird hate for the Mega Man series.

Going back to the clone discussion for a bit, I honestly think the only suitable clone/alt for Mega Man (at least in Smash) would be Proto Man. They're the same size and generally have the same abilities, and the Proto Shield could just be stored on his back (and not have a gameplay use).

Really? That's a shame... I liked that the acronym was still DHD as well. Glad you're NDA's up, by the way!

Agreed about him being the most fighting game-oriented Mega Man. I guess I kinda was desperate in suggesting he could/should be a clone, because even though the height can be worked around, the moves really can't. Still, if Mega Man got another rep, I think I'd prefer X over Proto Man. And I wouldn't say Niitsuma has a hate for Mega Man, but I do think it was foolish to not have a single Mega Man in the game. Honestly, I think Zero was picked because of Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom having him laying around (That game had Mega Man Volnutt and Classic series' Roll, so it's good on the Mega Man front), and I think they thought people'd be okay with that X costume as DLC. Which they weren't. Really hoping Capcom gets the Marvel license back, but only after they right a boat-load of wrongs and confusions within their management. Between MvC3, SFxT, and SFIV, they have a bit of a way to go.

And yeah, Proto Man is definitely the best choice for a Mega Man clone. Make him have Pichu-tier knockback but heavy-hitting attacks and... well, I can see a lot of people hating him, but I'd love him.

I'm surprised you didn't figure out why I chose that particular gif.

But
t
of course he did.

Neoxon

Really? That's a shame... I liked that the acronym was still DHD as well. Glad you're NDA's up, by the way!

Agreed about him being the most fighting game-oriented Mega Man. I guess I kinda was desperate in suggesting he could/should be a clone, because even though the height can be worked around, the moves really can't. Still, if Mega Man got another rep, I think I'd prefer X over Proto Man. And I wouldn't say Niitsuma has a hate for Mega Man, but I do think it was foolish to not have a single Mega Man in the game. Honestly, I think Zero was picked because of Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom having him laying around (That game had Mega Man Volnutt and Classic series' Roll, so it's good on the Mega Man front), and I think they thought people'd be okay with that X costume as DLC. Which they weren't. Really hoping Capcom gets the Marvel license back, but only after they right a boat-load of wrongs and confusions within their management. Between MvC3, SFxT, and SFIV, they have a bit of a way to go.

And yeah, Proto Man is definitely the best choice for a Mega Man clone. Make him have Pichu-tier knockback but heavy-hitting attacks and... well, I can see a lot of people hating him, but I'd love him.

But
t
of course he did.
While I'm sure Capcom will do MvC4 in a few years once they fix the issues on their end, we'd be pretty much trading one set of roster complaints for another. And trust me, with what Marvel's been doing, even the competitive scene will riot.

Zubz

Banned
While I'm sure Capcom will do MvC4 in a few years once they fix the issues on their end, we'd be pretty much trading one set of roster complaints for another. And trust me, with what Marvel's been doing, even the competitive scene will riot.

Honestly, the roster complaints will never end. Same with any game. Even if we get closure on [REDACTED] or Mewtwo, it's just going to move to someone else next, like an Advance Wars rep or the Inklings. It's just going to boil down to whether or not it's worth worrying about. With casts the size of Capcom's or Marvel's alone, no one's ever going to be sated. It just feels like Mega Man should've been as high of a priority as the Hulk.

And what's this about "what Marvel's been doing," out of curiosity?

Honestly, the roster complaints will never end. Same with any game. Even if we get closure on [REDACTED] or Mewtwo, it's just going to move to someone else next, like an Advance Wars rep or the Inklings. It's just going to boil down to whether or not it's worth worrying about. With casts the size of Capcom's or Marvel's alone, no one's ever going to be sated. It just feels like Mega Man should've been as high of a priority as the Hulk.

Are you unauthorized to say who this is?

Okay, fair enough.

Are all the custom variants of Nosferatu that slow?

1. Nosferatu:
  • Default. 15 damage, 13 healing (front). 15 damage, 16 healing (back). The Vortex spawns right in front of Robin, fairly quickly. Nosferatu's healing values SCALE! The more percentage you have than your opponent, the more you heal.
    • 25 vs. 0 - 16 (front), 20 (back)
    • 50 vs. 0 - 24 (front), 29 (back)
    • 75 vs. 0 - 32 (front), 38 (back)
    • 100 vs. 0 - 40 (front), 48 (back)
    • 75 vs. 25 - 24 (front), 29 (back)
    • 999 vs. 0 - 326 (LOL)

2. Long-Range Nosferatu: Has a longer range, however is less effective.
  • 11 damage, 6 healing (front). 11 damage, 7 healing (back). NosferaTwo trades a big buff in range for damage. You can grab from almost double the range, though it gains a dead-zone in the original grab space. It also has slightly more start-up. Healing does not scale AT ALL!

3. Goetia: Draws enemies in for a more powerful attack, but does not heal.
  • 20 damage, 0 healing. NosferaThree ditches the healing aspect of the move entirely, but gains a huge buff in range and damage. The grab-box is about double the size of the normal move, and has a wind-box that pulls nearby opponents into it during its start-up period.

By the looks of it, Nosfera2 has the most start-up & Nosfera3 has the same as the default.

Neoxon

Marvel's been shutting out the X-Men & the Fantastic Four from merchandise, cartoons (beyond small cameos) & games (starting with Disney Infinity 2.0) in an attempt to damage awareness of the properties to screw over Fox. Tom Brevoort confirmed that they have no plans for a show for either franchise because it's not as profitable as a Guardians show, & Chris Claremont confirmed that Marvel has banned new X-Men characters & new X-Men merch as of recently. On top of that, Marvel has banned the use of Fantastic Four characters in any sketches, & the Marvel 75th Anniversary poster art is devoid of any X-Men or F4 characters. If MvC4 happens, it'll be most likely devoid of any mutants or F4 characters. I.E., the likes of Wolverine, Deadpool, X-23, Jean Grey, Magneto, Storm, Sentinel, Dr. Doom, & Super-Skrull will be removed from the roster in exchange for more characters that Marvel owns the movie rights to (plus Spidey, as Sony is playing ball with Marvel).

We should be thankful Nintendo isn't plagued by corporate bullshit like this.

Chrono Gamer

Neo Member
Just for the sake of it, i can confirm that the name of the dog & the duck is Duck Hunt in the american version. And with a punchier yoyo and better response speed, Ness its awesome again baby!

Maybe too early to say this, but things I'll do when I get my WiiU copy.

1. watch the opening movie.
2. connect it with 3DS.
3. play in Pyrosphere.
4. check if fan is back.
5. play in gaur plain.
6. meet HD master core.

Neiteio

Just for the sake of it, i can confirm that the name of the dog & the duck is Duck Hunt in the american version. And with a punchier yoyo and better response speed, Ness its awesome again baby!
Maybe I'll try my hand at Ness this go-around. I didn't care much for his character model in past games, but he looks a lot nicer this time. Not sure why. Smoother edges? Softer skin? A less bulbous head?

2. connect it with 3DS.
3. play in Pyrosphere.
4. check if fan is back.
5. play in gaur plain.
6. meet HD master core.

7. mail the game to your fellow SmashGAFfer oreomunsta

Zubz

Banned
Be careful, it's a ban-worthy offense in Smash threads to bring it up now.

Wait, is it actually? I just wanted to avoid derailing the topic... Which I guess explains everything.

Marvel's been shutting out the X-Men & the Fantastic Four from merchandise, cartoons (beyond small cameos) & games (starting with Disney Infinity 2.0) in an attempt to damage awareness of the properties to screw over Fox. Tom Brevoort confirmed that they have no plans for a show for either franchise because it's not as profitable as a Guardians show, & Chris Claremont confirmed that Marvel has banned new X-Men characters & new X-Men merch as of recently.

If MvC4 happens, it'll be most likely devoid of any mutants or F4 characters. I.E., the likes of Wolverine, Deadpool, X-23, Jean Grey, Magneto, Storm, Sentinel, Dr. Doom, & Super-Skrull will be removed from the roster in exchange for more characters that Marvel owns the movie rights to (plus Spidey, as Sony is playing ball with Marvel).

Oh yeah... That... *Sigh* Yeah, I guess Marvel has their own hang-ups and foolishness to get over first, too. It feels so weird that Guardians is so big now while they're trying to smother X-Men and F4. These movies are tearing us all apart! I really wish those movie rights were time/number of films-based so we could get this over with faster...

I don't think every mutant would be gone, though. Sure, there's a ban on X-Men merch right now, but there'd be riots without a few mainstays in an MvC4. Skrull and Galactus are totally gone, though, as are Jean Grey, X-23 & Sentinel (Probably Storm and Doom, too). I can't see them getting rid of Wolverine or the Master of Magnet, though. There'd be too much of a riot within the FGC. Before going too far off topic here, I really wish there was some way to make Marvel ease up on the X-Men... And maybe the Fantastic Four; I never got into it, but its villains have always tended to be awesome, and I know my dad was a fan back in the day.

Almost puts the Ice Climbers being cut out of roster parity in perspective, though!
... Almost
And it still might be the reason Snake's gone; maybe Sakurai wanted to cut back on 3rd Parties, but it could also be likely they expected more from Konami after putting Snake in Brawl, and all they did was tease MGS4 stuff, with the franchise not touching a Nintendo system again for another 4 years. I still need to pick up Snake Eater 3DS, by the way...

Neoxon

Wait, is it actually? I just wanted to avoid derailing the topic... Which I guess explains everything.

Oh yeah... That... *Sigh* Yeah, I guess Marvel has their own hang-ups and foolishness to get over first, too. It feels so weird that Guardians is so big now while they're trying to smother X-Men and F4. These movies are tearing us all apart! I really wish those movie rights were time/number of films-based so we could get this over with faster...

I don't think every mutant would be gone, though. Sure, there's a ban on X-Men merch right now, but there'd be riots without a few mainstays in an MvC4. Skrull and Galactus are totally gone, though, as are Jean Grey, X-23 & Sentinel (Probably Storm and Doom, too). I can't see them getting rid of Wolverine or the Master of Magnet, though. There'd be too much of a riot within the FGC. Before going too far off topic here, I really wish there was some way to make Marvel ease up on the X-Men... And maybe the Fantastic Four; I never got into it, but its villains have always tended to be awesome, and I know my dad was a fan back in the day.

Almost puts the Ice Climbers being cut out of roster parity in perspective, though!
... Almost
Given that not even Wolverine's in Disney Infinity 2.0 (on top of there being absolutely zero mention of anything X-Men or Fantastic Four in the game), Marvel has the balls to cut him from the roster, & that scares me.

Lucas' & Wolf's removals don't seem so bad in comparison. And the Ice Climbers at least had a legit technical reason for their removal.

Chrono Gamer

Neo Member
Maybe I'll try my hand at Ness this go-around. I didn't care much for his character model in past games, but he looks a lot nicer this time. Not sure why. Smoother edges? Softer skin? A less bulbous head?

It sure looks a little less like a bobble head and thinner than any previous game, maybe that changes reflect in his little faster movements in general.

Also, the bounce mechanic when the rival gets grounded from a powerful attack in the air, gives a lot of room to new crazy combos.

Golnei

2. connect it with 3DS.
3. play in Pyrosphere.
4. check if fan is back.
5. play in gaur plain.
6. meet HD master core.

I hadn't even thought about that. Aside from the visual upgrade, I wonder if they'll give it any new forms?

Given that not even Wolverine's in Disney Infinity 2.0 (on top of there being absolutely zero mention of anything X-Men or Fantastic Four in the game), Marvel has the balls to cut him from the roster, & that scares me.

Hopefully that will change soon, w/o characters like Wolverine, Dr. Doom and Galactus, Marvel is going to be heavily bombarded with hate mail (possibly somethings a lot worse) if they don't do something.

I hadn't even thought about that. Aside from the visual upgrade, I wonder if they'll give it any new forms?

His true true form, TABUU!!

Golnei

Hopefully that will change soon, w/o characters like Wolverine, Dr. Doom and Galactus, Marvel is going to be heavily bombarded with hate mail (possibly somethings a lot worse) if they don't do something.

Disney can handle a couple of bomb scares. Impotent consumer fury means nothing in the face of their legal might.

Zubz

Banned

No matter how bad things get, Marvel's always been a bull-headed company. Disney's doing nothing to help matters, either. I hate to say it, but until Fox bends a knee, the X-Men are going to get pushed to the wayside. And although I want them back, so long as Fox has those rights, I say they should stand up for themselves.

His true true form, TABUU!!

Oh, you know Tabuu's back if they add in a Boss Battles feature. I still think Tower of Smash has already been debunked, but I still want Boss Battles to be a thing again.

Juuuuuuuust... There's 2 scaly, reptilian Nintendo villains that I know/strongly suspect will be put into that mode if they're not playable, killing their DLC chances. I'm hoping Sakurai notices those two's potential and leaves them out if they aren't playable, just so hope can find a way in the form of DLC. Same for maybe Hades, but so long as he shows up in Codec-style conversations, I'll be sated. And anyhoo, other characters, like Metal Face, Wart, Plasm Wraith, Kraid, and Vorkken'd be amazing Boss Battles, so it'd justify the risk.

Zubz

Banned
That's one of the main reasons I wanna see Ridley get announced. The reactions would be incredible.

alright that makes sense, my bad

The "I told you so"-ing's going to be disgusting no matter who "wins," I guarantee it. You'd think that it'd be like fireworks, but it's really more like if an entire sewage system exploded back onto the streets.

Zubz

Banned
That's impossible considering it will get there before the mods can even click the lock button.

Not if it doesn't shut GAF down first! Which, let's face it, it probably will.

Also, I have no idea why I'm still holding out hope for the PotD to be interesting anymore. I'm sticking to my "3DS Menu" expectations I now hold for every day that isn't Friday; it's an easy guess, all things considered.

Neoxon

Not if it doesn't shut GAF down first! Which, let's face it, it probably will.

Also, I have no idea why I'm still holding out hope for the PotD to be interesting anymore. I'm sticking to my "3DS Menu" expectations I now hold for every day that isn't Friday; it's an easy guess, all things considered.
So, let's say, theoretically, I posted a legit data-mined Ridley render right now. What do you suppose will happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom