• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless you're really concerned about it shipping quickly, can't you just import it from any other PAL region?

I could, but my Gamecube collection is 100% Australian (minus games that didn't get an official release here of course) and I like it that way :p

Greenzxy

If the whole stage just featured this section, it would've been my favorite stage of all time. God that lighting.
zlCfzSf4dgMGlpz5pK

I don't pay attention to text leaks as I find them invariably rubbish, but this stage would most likely have the Great Fox as it's icon on a stage select list. (same way rainbow cruise's icon is the airship)

The ESBR leak was based off of extremely limited footage that mostly consisted of buttshots and had barely any real info on stages, so a person just going off of the stage icon to presume it's "a great fox stage" without ever seeing the stage in motion is possible.

HOLY SHIT THIS STAGE THOUGH.

Between this, Gamer, and more, the Wii U version is clearly bringing it. I'm so goddamn hyped it's not even funny, and I'm enjoying the hell out of the 3DS version!

I already have it pre-ordered. That doesn't change the fact that it looks about three generations behind compared to this, and yet the Wii U version has suffered because of it. Sorry for having a negative opinion.

You're comparing an HD console to a handheld. Absolute shocker that the 3DS version looks "three generations" behind the Wii U one, really. Super Mario 3D Land looks three generations behind Super Mario 3D World, news at eleven.

Seriously though, your blatant negativity surrounding the 3DS version has gotten silly at this point. We get it, you think it sucks (even though you have it pre-ordered, heh). You've stated as much more than enough times now. Move on already.

Also, unless you're secretly Sakurai or somebody on his team, you also have absolutely zero proof that the Wii U version has suffered in any way because of the 3DS version. No one knows that to be the case. No one could know. That's a completely hyperbolic statement. Hell, it could be that the Wii U version ends up being so fantastic and definitive that it's the 3DS version that was made lacking for it in turn. The 3DS version does surprisingly lack a few basic features that past games had, so I wouldn't actually be surprised if that was the case.

JoeInky

Also, unless you're secretly Sakurai or somebody on his team, you also have absolutely zero proof that the Wii U version has suffered in any way because of the 3DS version. No one knows that to be the case. No one could know. That's a completely hyperbolic statement. Hell, it could be that the Wii U version ends up being so fantastic and definitive that it's the 3DS version that was made lacking for it in turn. The 3DS version does surprisingly lack a few basic features that past games had, so I wouldn't actually be surprised if that was the case.

Ice Climbers

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Holy shit, this is the coolest stage that's been revealed in a long time. Looks to be the funnest Starfox stage we've had so far.

JoBo4

Neo Member
Namco produced Star Fox Assault, right? That explains this level. Not to mention how the S Flags were in that game as well

230px-Normal_specialflag.jpg

honestly i hope ANY of the music from that game makes it in. The orchestra in the game...WHEW

Golnei

Namco produced Star Fox Assault, right? That explains this level. Not to mention how the S Flags were in that game as well

honestly i hope ANY of the music from that game makes it in. The orchestra in the game...WHEW

Brawl had a decent amount of music directly ripped from Assault tied to Lylat Cruise, so we'll likely be seeing some return if it makes it in as a past stage.

Roo

eh, to be fair, i'm sure sakurai will have something planned because of that.

i'm very, very sure it was a tough decision to make.

plus next gen smash will definitely see the ice climbers return. count on it.
It doesn't change the fact that Wii U version was held back because of 3DS.

Ice Climbers

Okay, granted. So the 51-character roster is not a 52-character roster because of the 3DS version.

If that's the most grievous crime the 3DS version has committed, it's hardly making anything (other than hardcore Ice Climbers fans) suffer.

The point: The 3DS version is great (we know this) and the Wii U version is almost certain to be incredible. Neither has "suffered" because of the other in any meaningful way (that we know of) outside of the Ice Climbers.

Also, bear in mind that Smash 4 was originally supposed to be 3DS-only; Iwata had to convince Sakurai to make it for Wii U as well. So in that sense, the 3DS version was always supposed to be the core one. So in that sense, it could be argued that the Wii U version is the liability. :p

deleted

Also, bear in mind that Smash 4 was originally supposed to be 3DS-only; Iwata had to convince Sakurai to make it for Wii U as well. So in that sense, the 3DS version was always supposed to be the core one. So in that sense, it could be argued that the Wii U version is the liability. :p

The development for all Smash titles is so weird at times.

1: Not planned with Nintendo characters in mind
2: Melee - 13 month dev cycle
3: planned as a Melee port with Online, announced before Sakurai was involved
4: planned for 3DS only

Edit: Seems like except the first, all these 'facts' are wrong - never mind.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Embarrassing moment for me. I've been thinking there was another Star Fox stage that didn't have you on top of the Great Fox, but instead on the wings. And it was on a planet and not in space. I looked at a list of 64 and Melee stages, and nothing popped out. Was like, damn, am I really remembering something that didn't exist?

Thought about it for like two days now, maybe it was some sort of prophetic vision of a future stage. That would be cool.

Then I looked again at a list of Melee stages. Venom, that's it.

Damn it. In my defense I very, very rarely ever played on that stage.

The development for all Smash titles is so weird at times.

1: Not planned with Nintendo characters in mind
2: Melee - 13 month dev cycle
3: planned as a Melee port with Online, announced before Sakurai was involved
4: planned for 3DS only

I'm pretty sure the first one is the only one that is actually accurate.

Sakurai started planning Melee in secret right after the release of Smash 64. I don't remember when development actually started, someone posted about it here, but the 13 month thing is based on misinformation.

Brawl was never planned to be Melee with online. They announced there would be a Smash game for Wii, and then Sakurai agreed to head it. Brawl without Sakurai was never planned or entered any state of development, Iwata's comment about Melee Online was just intended to be a compliment to Sakurai and to say they weren't sure what they would do if he wasn't there. It was definitely not a literal statement.

Early details for Smash 4 aren't really clear, but it looks like the 3DS-only was never planned, only considered and then thrown out quickly.

deleted

I'm pretty sure the first one is the only one that is actually accurate.

Sakurai started planning Melee in secret right after the release of Smash 64. I don't remember when development actually started, someone posted about it here, but the 13 month thing is based on misinformation.

Brawl was never planned to be Melee with online. They announced there would be a Smash game for Wii, and then Sakurai agreed to head it. Brawl without Sakurai was never planned or entered any state of development, Iwata's comment about Melee Online was just intended to be a compliment to Sakurai and to say they weren't sure what they would do if he wasn't there. It was definitely not a literal statement.

Early details for Smash 4 aren't really clear, but it looks like the 3DS-only was never planned, only considered and then thrown out quickly.

Oh, ok - the more you know I guess :p

And this is why the Ice Climbers were cut. If Ice Climbers want more eggplants, they should strike up a deal with the Eggplant Wizard.
Maybe Pit "mysteriously disappears" and suddenly there's a spot on the roster...
Isabelle's weird side of the fanbase has always confused me.
Well, he has absolutely one (or do they count as two?) piece of proof that the Wii U version has suffered, but that's it.
While I'm not fond of the 3DS version conceptually, I'll agree though; we'll never know what the Wii U version "may" have had if the 3DS version wasn't around. There are just too many factors that go into this. The team probably wouldn't have the same budget if they were making only one game, for example.
It's also ridiculous to say that the Wii U version has suffered when we don't even know how much content it has! Even when it's released, I don't think it's safe to say anything about "cut content" until we get any word from Sakurai.
If that's the most grievous crime the 3DS version has committed, it's hardly making anything (other than hardcore Ice Climbers fans) suffer.
Hardcore fans aren't the only ones who are upset. I think the loss of any unique characters or series reps is something worth being sad about. I didn't play as Ice Climbers a lot, but I'm still sad to see them gone.

Feltrol

Banned
*sniff* So beautiful...

EDIT:
Now listening to SFA OST.

Star Fox Adventures?! You've made a great selection. ;)

zlCfzSf4dgMGlpz5pK

Pic of the day. This is the Orbital Gate stage. This is a Wii U version-exclusive stage reenacting Team Star Fox's defense of the Orbital Gate from an Aparoid missile attack.

zlCfzSf4dmIcWCqqkZ

Missiles are launched towards the Orbital Gate! The force field shields the machinery for a while, and the missiles eventually get shot down by team Star Fox. Overall, this stage feels like a ride. It's pretty hectic, so hold on tight!

zlCfzSf4dp8qHQrVmU

The Arwings are passing through the gate! And the fighters hop on for a free ride!!

I admit I didn't expect this! I'M SO BLOWN AWAY!

franco-so-good.gif

ffdgh

zlCfzSf4dgMGlpz5pK

Pic of the day. This is the Orbital Gate stage. This is a Wii U version-exclusive stage reenacting Team Star Fox's defense of the Orbital Gate from an Aparoid missile attack.

zlCfzSf4dmIcWCqqkZ

Missiles are launched towards the Orbital Gate! The force field shields the machinery for a while, and the missiles eventually get shot down by team Star Fox. Overall, this stage feels like a ride. It's pretty hectic, so hold on tight!

zlCfzSf4dp8qHQrVmU

The Arwings are passing through the gate! And the fighters hop on for a free ride!!

I said wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom