• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big Blue has always been my favorite "crazy" stage. Sure, it sucks for competition, but it's mad fun otherwise. Hopefully this'll be it.

Oh, I just remembered something...anyone have a link to that stage leak from like 2 weeks ago? I wanna see if a new Star Fox stage was on it and what it was called.

I don't have it on me, but it was just called "Great Fox".

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Yeah, all the Stages on that list had a really generic name, so I guess it's possible the "leaker" didn't know the full names and just called them what he was familiar with.

Eh, if we get one of the really specific stages like Patchland, or Endless Ocean, I'll reconsider it, but right now it's bunk to me.

Dimmle

Big Blue has always been my favorite "crazy" stage. Sure, it sucks for competition, but it's mad fun otherwise. Hopefully this'll be it.

It's so fun. All of my local Smash friends despise it because they can't seem to stay off the pavement. There aren't many stages in Smash that capitalize well on the game's identity as a competitive platformer but Big Blue presents gradual landscape transformation with a predictable rhythm in a manner that's pretty fair to players. I'll take Big Blue over a transitional stage like Castle Siege any day, but unfortunately I reside in the extreme minority.

Are these the same stage? The implication is yes?

Timeaisis

Hmm...so that doesn't confirm or deny anything, really.

It's so fun. All of my local Smash friends despise it because they can't seem to stay off the pavement. There aren't many stages in Smash that capitalize well on the game's identity as a competitive platformer but Big Blue presents gradual landscape transformation with a predictable rhythm in a manner that's pretty fair to players. I'll take Big Blue over a transitional stage like Castle Siege any day, but unfortunately I reside in the extreme minority.

I'm with you in that minority, then. I much prefer it over transformation stages, too. So fun.

Yeah, all the Stages on that list had a really generic name, so I guess it's possible the "leaker" didn't know the full names and just called them what he was familiar with.

Eh, if we get one of the really specific stages like Patchland, or Endless Ocean, I'll reconsider it, but right now it's bunk to me.
Mhmm, that's what I'd say. If it is real, at this point he probably just say a picture of the select screen or something.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
What's the latest word on stage builder for the Wii U version? Is it likely to even be in the game at launch, or is it something to expect as DLC?

-Horizon-

Rösti;132453572 said:
What's the latest word on stage builder for the Wii U version? Is it likely to even be in the game at launch, or is it something to expect as DLC?

Nobody knows. It hasn't been talked about by Sakurai.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
that "no transformation characters due to 3DS"

...people think this widely affects Wii U at all, forgetting that so far, only IC is the effect from Wii U

2014-09-29-punk-ruins-everything.jpg

Man, this is brilliant. Freaking love BotchedSpot.

Watch Da Birdie

What about Pokemon trainer?

Well, his Pokemon could've all lived on, but I imagine we'll never find out why Squirtle and Ivysaur didn't return.

Maybe Sakurai didn't want that many Pokemon now that they're not a "single slot". Maybe GameFreak wanted him to focus on Greninja and Charizard. Maybe they're DLC.

Ice Climbers is the only "real" character who was specifically cut so far because of the 3DS, as far as we know. Wolf, Lucas, etc. are probably likely just purposeful cuts for other reasons.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Nobody knows. It hasn't been talked about by Sakurai.
I'll await the inevitable Nintendo Direct for the Wii U version then (or a general Nintendo Direct, we haven't had one of those in a long time), ought to be sometime before October 29. It's creeping ever closer.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Wouldn't it be great if Nintendo would release the digital version of Smash 3DS when the eShop updates tomorrow?

Jawmuncher

Wouldn't it be great if Nintendo would release the digital version of Smash 3DS when the eShop updates tomorrow?

If they did I would probably cave and get it.
Getting it before 12am EST would be too much to ignore when it would be that easy.

GameFreak. I mean, the other transformers are in there.
They would have almost certainly been present had transformations been possible after how hard Brawl pushed the Pokemon Trainer (he's on the boxart, even). They were almost certainly dropped afterwards because they were low priority characters on their own, but that situation only presented itself after transformations were nixed. So I don't think it's an unfair position to take.

Watch Da Birdie

Yeah, I suppose so. But the concept of a trainer character who uses different Pokemon was thrown out the window with the 3DS version.

It was a cool concept, but I personally found Pokemon Trainer to be a pretty big disappointment.

I guess they could've kept him like Doc Louis and had him appear with Charizard during the Win Pose, at least.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Rösti;132453572 said:

I have a feeling that we might get blow out Smash U Direct this month or next month.

Zubz

Banned

Ditto. If only my regular group of Smash-Friends didn't hate it... being the only F-Zero fan in that lot helped. They're too shallow minded to play GX when I offer it.

Hmm...so that doesn't confirm or deny anything, really.

I'm more with Watch Da Birdie; I was willing to let "Gamer" be called "Game & Wario" because they both just describe the game it's from, but "Great Fox" implies that it's just the Great Fox again for the 4th game in a row. This is clearly called "Orbital Gate" and barely touches the Great Fox compared to everything else. I think the leaker just remembered that picture from August of the Great Fox and assumed what we all did. It'd be very much alive if they added that it was the "Orbital Gate," but as cool as the mode would've been, Tower of Smash is over.

And again, I don't think a single JoJo fan made a joke about the name while the leak was still alive.
Frankly, I'm shocked.

And I really wanted an Endless Ocean stage, too...

Neiteio

Okay, granted. So the 51-character roster is not a 52-character roster because of the 3DS version.

If that's the most grievous crime the 3DS version has committed, it's hardly making anything (other than hardcore Ice Climbers fans) suffer.

The point: The 3DS version is great (we know this) and the Wii U version is almost certain to be incredible. Neither has "suffered" because of the other in any meaningful way (that we know of) outside of the Ice Climbers.

Also, bear in mind that Smash 4 was originally supposed to be 3DS-only; Iwata had to convince Sakurai to make it for Wii U as well. So in that sense, the 3DS version was always supposed to be the core one. So in that sense, it could be argued that the Wii U version is the liability. :p
I suspect Chorus Men were killed off because of the 3DS version, as well. Planned but then canned when three of them running around in unison proved too much for the 3DS to handle.

I suspect Chorus Men were killed off because of the 3DS version, as well. Planned but then canned when three of them running around in unison proved too much for the 3DS to handle.
I have the same hunch as well. Sakurai did not have to say anything because they were never revealed compared to Ice Climbers. Also, people have claimed to see models (although I am not sure if I can fully believe it) and there are Rhythm Heaven Smash Run enemies. It seems odd for them to put only Polar Bear and Sneaky Sneak from different Nintendo franchises.
Although if we do get DLC characters, I really would want the cut characters first honestly.

Zubz

Banned

Ditto. I mean, I'm still hoping Spainkiller's right, both for the sake of 4 characters I wanted and for his account, but it's looking unlikely. With how much content had to be cut in the process of making the game run on the 3DS, I can see Chorus Kids being cut, which, as someone who's far more excited for the Wii U version, even when the 3DS version is under 35 hours away from being in my hands, is disappointing.

And again, just putting it out there: the only thing I care about regarding roster parity is one game holding another back. The same thing would happen if the there was a cool, 3D themed character that they couldn't get on the Wii U... if that worked, somehow. I really want both the Kids and the Climbers to be DLC on the Wii U; if they can run there, why hold them back? This isn't like PSASBR where the Vita version was literally the same game with touch controls. Nothing'd be hurt in how either game functins.

Watch Da Birdie

Two new Star Fox stages? That's pretty cool, but where the fuck are the DK stages Sakurai?

We only got one new Star Fox Stage. The previous update was just this one.

I guess we'll see Donkey Kong soon enough. I sort of hope it's based off the Beach World from DKCR. One idea I had was basically mixing the pirate ships levels with the Squiddicus one, so he'd smash the ship into pieces and move them around to serve as platforms. But I guess that's like the second part of the 3DS Paper Mario stage.

We only got one new Star Fox Stage. The previous update was just this one.

I guess we'll see Donkey Kong soon enough. I sort of hope it's based off the Beach World from DKCR. One idea I had was basically mixing the pirate ships levels with the Squiddicus one, so he'd smash the ship into pieces and move them around to serve as platforms. But I guess that's like the second part of the 3DS Paper Mario stage.
Considering we know the Gear Getaway music, it could be a good chance we get a Returns or Tropical Freeze stage on the Wii U version.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah, I suppose so. But the concept of a trainer character who uses different Pokemon was thrown out the window with the 3DS version.

It was a terrible concept. The stamina thing, the delay between switches (no not the technical delay, the actual delay where you remain vulnerable on screen), and the weaknesses effect made Trainer's trio more of a hassle to deal with.

They would have almost certainly been present had transformations been possible after how hard Brawl pushed the Pokemon Trainer (he's on the boxart, even). They were almost certainly dropped afterwards because they were low priority characters on their own, but that situation only presented itself after transformations were nixed. So I don't think it's an unfair position to take.

I thought PT received a backlash on how the underlying mechanics were more of a chore than fun?

When I read your post I couldn't help but think

tumblr_mns259MyQ61r2vjrqo5_500.gif

worst movie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom