• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

K-A-Deman

So, first of all, I'm sorry for going off topic but I have good news, my dog's surgery went really well and now he's resting right here with me, the tumor was removed and now he has the opportunity to stay with us for as long as he wants (hopefully a loooong time), he's already awake and he's able to walk, so yeah, everything went really well, thank god. He'll continue to be under treatment for a few more weeks and that's it.

Thanks for your support!
I love you guys, you helped me a lot and that means everything to me.

So... I think I'll be able to make my stupid jokes and bully juniors pretty soon, really looking forward to it. Oh and btw, I gotta start exchanging 3DS FCs with you guys asap, I already have my eShop credit waiting to be used!

Thanks again, guys! :)

Never got around to posting, but I'm glad to hear things worked out.

zlCfzSf4dgMGlpz5pK

Pic of the day. This is the Orbital Gate stage. This is a Wii U version-exclusive stage reenacting Team Star Fox's defense of the Orbital Gate from an Aparoid missile attack.

zlCfzSf4dmIcWCqqkZ

Missiles are launched towards the Orbital Gate! The force field shields the machinery for a while, and the missiles eventually get shot down by team Star Fox. Overall, this stage feels like a ride. It's pretty hectic, so hold on tight!

zlCfzSf4dp8qHQrVmU

The Arwings are passing through the gate! And the fighters hop on for a free ride!!

Oh and I thought that just having an Assault-based Great Fox was good but all this...

A moving stage. I was kinda hoping it'd be a straight remake of Corneria, to be honest, but that's just because after the 3ds version I don't really believe in Sakurai's abilities to make good new stages.

Well that just seems pessimistic...

And this is why the Ice Climbers were cut. If Ice Climbers want more eggplants, they should strike up a deal with the Eggplant Wizard.
Maybe Pit "mysteriously disappears" and suddenly there's a spot on the roster...
It was probably Dark Pit because Pit would have little reason to kill the Ice Climbers.
Although if you go by BitF comic, Mega Man confused Popo with Ice Man and they failed the auditions.

NeonZ

Also, bear in mind that Smash 4 was originally supposed to be 3DS-only; Iwata had to convince Sakurai to make it for Wii U as well. So in that sense, the 3DS version was always supposed to be the core one. So in that sense, it could be argued that the Wii U version is the liability. :p

No, Sakurai decided to make a Wii U version after he started working on the 3ds game and saw its limitations.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
The development for all Smash titles is so weird at times.

1: Not planned with Nintendo characters in mind
2: Melee - 13 month dev cycle
3: planned as a Melee port with Online, announced before Sakurai was involved
4: planned for 3DS only

13 months for Melee? I'm pretty sure that it was mistranslation.

Nope, they were planning new Smash for Wii. That's why they asked Sakurai first. Melee with Online mode is just back up plan if Sakurai don't want to get involved.

I'm not sure about Smaah 4 but I heard it differently but I will check source first tho.

deleted

13 months for Melee? I'm pretty sure that it was mistranslation.

Nope, they were planning new Smash for Wii. That's why they asked Sakurai first. Melee with Online mode is just back up plan if Sakurai don't want to get involved.

I'm not sure about Smaah 4 but I heard it differently but I will check source first tho.

Yep, I already realized most of them are wrong. I checked the wiki for Melee and they state the 13 month though... I don't know.

Tom_Cody

zlCfzSf4dgMGlpz5pK

Pic of the day. This is the Orbital Gate stage. This is a Wii U version-exclusive stage reenacting Team Star Fox's defense of the Orbital Gate from an Aparoid missile attack.

zlCfzSf4dmIcWCqqkZ

Missiles are launched towards the Orbital Gate! The force field shields the machinery for a while, and the missiles eventually get shot down by team Star Fox. Overall, this stage feels like a ride. It's pretty hectic, so hold on tight!

zlCfzSf4dp8qHQrVmU

The Arwings are passing through the gate! And the fighters hop on for a free ride!!
Why can't Sakurai oversee all of Nintendo's development?!

Look people seriously think Nintendo wouldn't make smash for its newest console. Like hell Sakurai wouldn't.

=_=

Sakurai's original plan, from what I gathered, was to make Smash 3DS first (4) and then work on Wii U version (5). Instead, Nintendo decided for simultaneous development. So there was going to be a Smash on Wii U, but it could have been in 2015/2016.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Sakurai's original plan, from what I gathered, was to make Smash 3DS first (4) and then work on Wii U version (5). Instead, Nintendo decided for simultaneous development. So there was going to be a Smash on Wii U, but it could have been in 2015/2016.

Honestly it might have been better that way, if Smash 3DS could have released sooner. And without simultaneous development maybe the 3DS game wouldn't hold back the Wii U one *cough*

Golnei

How does this stage fit into the leaked stage roster? Is it debunked now?

The stage was actually shown in an earlier image, and therefore made it into the 'leak' with a different name. As previously-revealed stages have also had names that differed from those the leak offered, (Gaur Plain, Gamer etc.) this doesn't really count as decisive proof either way.

ugoo18

The development for all Smash titles is so weird at times.

1: Not planned with Nintendo characters in mind
2: Melee - 13 month dev cycle
3: planned as a Melee port with Online, announced before Sakurai was involved
4: planned for 3DS only

Edit: Seems like except the first, all these 'facts' are wrong - never mind.

That is the single most idiotic one of all and i sure as heck am glad it never panned out. Why would this even be entertained as a good idea by Sakurai or anyone at Nintendo for that matter.

Let me take a series known for its easy big screen couch multiplayer and make it exclusive to the system where everyone has to buy a system and a game to replicate what the series became famous for 15 years ago. After all that's the only way to evolve the game right, i can't possibly evolve anything on a home console, Smash Run (The mode that suffers because of the systems limitations in the first place) absolutely can't be done on the home console because..... evolution, Genius Sakurai genius -_-

That's almost as bad as F-Zero being in an eternal slumber because Miyamoto can't think of anything to do with it. Let someone else have a shot..... Nope it's me/Nintendo or bust.

The stage was actually shown in an earlier image, and therefore made it into the 'leak' with a different name. As previously-revealed stages have also had names that differed from those the leak offered, (Gaur Plain, Gamer etc.) this doesn't really count as decisive proof either way.

This, names of stages being wrong isn't really definitive to debunk one way or the other, and in the stage you can see the characters fighting on the great fox. I don't believe the leaker expressed how he got his info if it was second hand, if it was from play testing, if it was from an ESRB style video. Not getting the names of stages right doesn't really debunk anything.

So even though the leaker was a little off on the name, today's leak pretty much confirms that stage list, right? Sure, the leaker didn't say "Orbital Gate" exactly, but the great Fox is in the stage, so he got it right. Ridley confirmed!... Right?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So even though the leaker was a little off on the name, today's leak pretty much confirms that stage list, right? Sure, the leaker didn't say "Orbital Gate" exactly, but the great Fox is in the stage, so he got it right. Ridley confirmed!... Right?

You mean they guessed a stage we've already seen? THAT'S AMAZING!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
That's almost as bad as F-Zero being in an eternal slumber because Miyamoto can't think of anything to do with it that would make it sell really well while still being F-Zero. Let someone else have a shot..... Nope it's me/Nintendo or bust.

Fixed. The F-Zero GBA games (aside from Maximum Velocity I guess) killed F-Zero.

You mean they guessed a stage we've already seen? THAT'S AMAZING!
Obviously I'm not saying they guessed anything, they knew the information. You can't get all of these details 100% right (Gamer stage, Orbital Gate stage) purely by guessing.

#RidleyisReal2014

-Horizon-

zlCfzSf4dgMGlpz5pK

zlCfzSf4dmIcWCqqkZ

zlCfzSf4dp8qHQrVmU

Wow, that is a heck of a stage.

Looks so good.

I would have the 3DS game cannibalized in a second if it meant adding more content to the Wii U version.

Anyone disagree?

Jawmuncher

Looks so good.

I would have the 3DS game cannibalized in a second if it meant adding more content to the Wii U version.

Anyone disagree?

I would probably sacrifice it as well.
Not accounting for 3DS sales and all that and talking from just a content stand point.

darkmagus

zlCfzSf4dgMGlpz5pK

zlCfzSf4dmIcWCqqkZ

zlCfzSf4dp8qHQrVmU

That stage looks like is going to be so intense, Man the Wii U version is so pretty

I don't really agree with the Relax Alax video, about Melee being inaccessible, and about it being an accident.

The game was perfectly 100% accessible, that's why everyone loves it, big and small, newb and major league gamer.. it's only inaccessible if 'normal' players found themselves out of their element in the middle of a high level fighting game community tournament.

Wave dashing and that stuff may have been an accident, but even if that stuff wasn't in it still would have been the runaway success that it was. It's not as though the 1% top eccentric players who exploited the game drove this games success. It was the number one game in my circle of friends for years and years, and that had nothing to do with exploits.

So yeah. Melee was absolutely accessible, and was not an accident.

RetroMG

So excited about the new stage. I love stages that "feel like a ride" as they put it. One of my all time favorites in Melee was Poke Floats, because it wasn't just about beating the enemy, but also about surviving the stage.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Still don't understand Amiibos or what they do. And practically everyone talking about buying them seems to be doing it for the sake of collecting and not any sort of meaningful functionality.

emb

I don't really agree with the Relax Alax video, about Melee being inaccessible, and about it being an accident.

The game was perfectly 100% accessible, that's why everyone loves it, big and small, newb and major league gamer.. it's only inaccessible if 'normal' players found themselves out of their element in the middle of a high level fighting game community tournament.

Wave dashing and that stuff may have been an accident, but even if that stuff wasn't in it still would have been the runaway success that it was. It's not as though the 1% top eccentric players who exploited the game drove this games success. It was the number one game in my circle of friends for years and years, and that had nothing to do with exploits.

So yeah. Melee was absolutely accessible, and was not an accident.
I do think it was an accident for it to be as good as it was.

But I agree, it was completely accessible. Any game is going to feel ridiculous if you play against someone much better. In Brawl it feels even tougher, since you can't just go learn buttons to get decent.

zlCfzSf4dgMGlpz5pK

zlCfzSf4dmIcWCqqkZ

zlCfzSf4dp8qHQrVmU

This stage looks so amazing. Between this and Bayonetta 2's easter egg, I'm really, really craving some Star Fox on Wii U right about now. That looks absolutely beautiful.

Enforced

Why can't Sakurai oversee all of Nintendo's development?!
He needs create a clones of himself but the fans will complain the games will be too similar because Nintendo got so many sakurai clones.
/s. I know it doesn't make sense but heh :p

I thought this was a weird choice for a Star Fox stage (no way this was the most memorable Assault mission) until I realized it's basically a love letter to previous Great Fox stages. It's right above Corneria (it's in the background), and the defense-style gameplay in Assault is similar to the Sector Z mission in Star Fox 64. That's pretty cool!

PBalfredo

This stage reminds me that Star Fox Assault is actually extremely rad.... when you're playing the levels with actual Star Fox gameplay. Too bad the Arwing levels make up less than 25% of the whole game.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Two new stages in these last two weeks? Awesome.

Technically it's not a new stage in that we have already seen this before.

This stage reminds me that Star Fox Assault is actually extremely rad.... when you're playing the levels with actual Star Fox gameplay. Too bad the Arwing levels make up less than 25% of the whole game.

You skipped out Multiplayer?

J@hranimo

Banned
Okay, granted. So the 51-character roster is not a 52-character roster because of the 3DS version.

If that's the most grievous crime the 3DS version has committed, it's hardly making anything (other than hardcore Ice Climbers fans) suffer.

The point: The 3DS version is great (we know this) and the Wii U version is almost certain to be incredible. Neither has "suffered" because of the other in any meaningful way (that we know of) outside of the Ice Climbers.

Also, bear in mind that Smash 4 was originally supposed to be 3DS-only; Iwata had to convince Sakurai to make it for Wii U as well. So in that sense, the 3DS version was always supposed to be the core one. So in that sense, it could be argued that the Wii U version is the liability. :p

3DS only? You serious Ash? Like, why would they even entertain the idea of not having the next Smash game be on their failing home console?

Timeaisis

This is it. The new Big Blue.

I anticipate people will turn on this stage pretty fast but I'm gonna love it.

Big Blue has always been my favorite "crazy" stage. Sure, it sucks for competition, but it's mad fun otherwise. Hopefully this'll be it.

Oh, I just remembered something...anyone have a link to that stage leak from like 2 weeks ago? I wanna see if a new Star Fox stage was on it and what it was called.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom