• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foshy

got mine

By30iMYCUAAO6QA.jpg

Ivysaur and Squirtle were probably dropped because:

- they can't stand on their own like Charizard can, as characters (although Squirtle probably could)
- adding them would add way too many Pokemon and be super first gen heavy
- Pokemon company didn't want them to be in the game

The interesting thing to me is I don't think Charizard would have made it to the Smash roster without Pokemon Trainer, but now that he's in, he's probably set for life in any future rosters because he works really well as a stand alone character and the perfect rep for the first generation games (Pikachu basically reps the entire series and Jigglypuff is... Jigglypuff)

you're gonna play forza first aren't you
He is going to use Kinect voice commands to play Forza while playing Smash at the same time.
/s

Yeah, Charizard is a confusing choice. Probably his popularity in Brawl is what kept him in. I am pretty sure many people would have preferred to get Lucario, Greninja, and Mewtwo instead. I am a fan of Charizard and I would rather have Mewtwo.

Zubz

Banned
Ivysaur and Squirtle were probably dropped because:

- they can't stand on their own like Charizard can, as characters (although Squirtle probably could)
- adding them would add way too many Pokemon and be super first gen heavy
- Pokemon company didn't want them to be in the game

The interesting thing to me is I don't think Charizard would have made it to the Smash roster without Pokemon Trainer, but now that he's in, he's probably set for life in any future rosters because he works really well as a stand alone character and the perfect rep for the first generation games (Pikachu basically reps the entire series and Jigglypuff is... Jigglypuff)

Good points all around! I love Ivysaur, but I know she was reliant entirely upon her trailer... unfortunately...

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Some basic trivia:

ssbnamesazy1h.png

Villager has a different name in every language, but it's just the translated version of it, so it means villager or inhabitant etc. Duck Hunt (Duo) not included here.

Also, Marth is called марс (Mars) in Russian.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Rösti;132465686 said:
Some basic trivia:

ssbnamesazy1h.png

Villager has a different name in every language, but it's just the translated version of it, so it means villager or inhabitant etc. Duck Hunt (Duo) not included here.

you forgot best foreign name

character-murabito.png

vixlar

Rösti;132465686 said:
Some basic trivia:

ssbnamesazy1h.png

Rosalina has a different name in European Spanish: She is called Estela. It maintains the name Rosalina in American Spanish. In both versions Luma is called Destello (twinkle)

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Rosalina has a different name in European Spanish: She is called Estela. It maintains the name Rosalina in American Spanish. In both versions Luma is called Destello (twinkle)
Oh, that's right. I seem to have forgotten to include that.

huh Rosalina also has different names for American French and European French

I guess NoE really likes having different names?

Some weirder localisation that still makes me wonder from Brawl is Pikmin and Olimar being just Olimar in the US and Dedede being King Dedede in the US.

Both seem kind of pointless.

Neoxon

I still need to get a PS4.

Also, thank god Smash 3DS is out this week. I wouldn't be able to survive the wedding I have to go to otherwise. A shame my little bro probably won't have his own copy.

Sakujou

Banned
king dedede had a different name in germany in the 90ies, they changed it during the 2000s and never changed it back.

he was back then localized and was called "könig nickerchen".

It was probably Dark Pit because Pit would have little reason to kill the Ice Climbers.
Although if you go by BitF comic, Mega Man confused Popo with Ice Man and they failed the auditions.
Totally went in the opposite direction of my joke there.

Sakurai was frustrated - Pit had apparently disappeared. Where could he have gone? Pit was a good friend of Sakurai's, he had helped Pit get back on his feet after two decades of unemployment, so Pit wouldn't leave without telling him, right? This was a problem; Sakurai had to keep working on the Wii U version, but without someone to fill in for Pit, he would lose precious time. He was pressed for time enough already, he didn't need another delay.
After some time searching and asking around for Pit's whereabouts, Sakurai returned back to his desk to find the Ice Climbers, their faces covered in eggplant juice.
"We heard that you needed to fill in a slot! We thought we could help!"
Sakurai knew they couldn't stay, but without Smash they would be jobless, and probably homeless too. He felt bad for cutting them, and there wouldn't be any harm in giving them a place to stay for the night, right?
"Fine, you can fill in for a bit - but when Pit comes back I'm afraid I'll have to ask you to go."
"We understand, we'll leave whenever you find him" replied the duo in unison. They got up, took a piece of cardboard with WILL WORK FOR VEGETABLES written on it, and walked towards the doorway. Just as they got there, Popo turned around.
"Hey Mr. Sakurai, may I ask you a question? Have you ever considered giving Mr. Eggplant Wizard a larger role in the next Kid Icarus game? He's a really great guy - he's helped us out of a jam when we needed it."
"I'll consider it Popo. Now go get yourselves washed up - you two are soaked in vegetable juice. How big of an eggplant did you eat?"

that "no transformation characters due to 3DS"

...people think this widely affects Wii U at all, forgetting that so far, only IC is the effect from Wii U

I remember someone posting that the HD models in the Wii U version would take too long to load for transitions, and that's why they were scrapped. Is that possible?

Zubz

Banned
Totally went in the opposite direction of my joke there.

Sakurai was frustrated - Pit had apparently disappeared. Where could he have gone? Pit was a good friend of Sakurai's, he had helped Pit get back on his feet after two decades of unemployment, so Pit wouldn't leave without telling him, right? This was a problem; Sakurai had to keep working on the Wii U version, but without someone to fill in for Pit, he would lose precious time. He was pressed for time enough already, he didn't need another delay.
After some time searching and asking around for Pit's whereabouts, Sakurai returned back to his desk to find the Ice Climbers, their faces covered in eggplant juice.
"We heard that you needed to fill in a slot! We thought we could help!"
Sakurai knew they couldn't stay, but without Smash they would be jobless, and probably homeless too. He felt bad for cutting them, and there wouldn't be any harm in giving them a place to stay for the night, right?
"Fine, you can fill in for a bit - but when Pit comes back I'm afraid I'll have to ask you to go."
"We understand, we'll leave whenever you find him" replied the duo in unison. They got up, took a piece of cardboard with WILL WORK FOR VEGETABLES written on it, and walked towards the doorway. Just as they got there, Popo turned around.
"Hey Mr. Sakurai, may I ask you a question? Have you ever considered giving Mr. Eggplant Wizard a larger role in the next Kid Icarus game? He's a really great guy - he's helped us out of a jam when we needed it."
"I'll consider it Popo. Now go get yourselves washed up - you two are soaked in vegetable juice. How big of an eggplant did you eat?"

Woah, man. That's too dark for me.
I dig it.

Axass

Will be a great stage graphics-wise, most likely nobody will like to play on it though. Moving stages are so annoying.

By the way, does this mean no Corneria/Sector Z on Wii U?

Looks so good.

I would have the 3DS game cannibalized in a second if it meant adding more content to the Wii U version.

Anyone disagree?
I would have the WiiU game cannibalized in a second if it meant adding more content to the 3DS version lol.

But no, I wouldn't really do that since that would make fans of the WiiU version upset, the same way that it would make fans of the 3DS version upset if the reverse happen.

To me the 3DS is the main version through and through. No contest. WiiU version is just a stage expansion pack that I may or may not get day one. Tho these last couple weeks have gotten me hyping the up WiiU stages up again...

The people who want to see the 3DS game cancelled or whatever is just crazy. Lots of people will get the 3DS version as their main version and vice-versa. Its all about preferences. Thats why I still play MK7 (tho not as much. Plus thats different considering a two year gap vs Smash's two months. After two and ahalf years I was ready for new MK courses) is because I always prefer 3D to HD and the XL's "controller" to any other controller. Plus nothing beats that sleep mode. This coming from someone that only plays online which I know alot on here play locally which os why they want WiiU more.

Just stop hating on either version people. Especially Gonzo, just stop. Your getting as bad as that Ku-whoever guy that flames every episode of Doctor Who. Just enjoy either or both of the versions yall get and stick with them. :)

By the way, does this mean no Corneria/Sector Z on Wii U?
Unless I'm remembering incorrectly I believe it was stated that both games would have completely different returning stages, so Corneria is out. And don't expect any returning stages that weren't in Brawl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom