• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Totally went in the opposite direction of my joke there.

Sakurai was frustrated - Pit had apparently disappeared. Where could he have gone? Pit was a good friend of Sakurai's, he had helped Pit get back on his feet after two decades of unemployment, so Pit wouldn't leave without telling him, right? This was a problem; Sakurai had to keep working on the Wii U version, but without someone to fill in for Pit, he would lose precious time. He was pressed for time enough already, he didn't need another delay.
After some time searching and asking around for Pit's whereabouts, Sakurai returned back to his desk to find the Ice Climbers, their faces covered in eggplant juice.
"We heard that you needed to fill in a slot! We thought we could help!"
Sakurai knew they couldn't stay, but without Smash they would be jobless, and probably homeless too. He felt bad for cutting them, and there wouldn't be any harm in giving them a place to stay for the night, right?
"Fine, you can fill in for a bit - but when Pit comes back I'm afraid I'll have to ask you to go."
"We understand, we'll leave whenever you find him" replied the duo in unison. They got up, took a piece of cardboard with WILL WORK FOR VEGETABLES written on it, and walked towards the doorway. Just as they got there, Popo turned around.
"Hey Mr. Sakurai, may I ask you a question? Have you ever considered giving Mr. Eggplant Wizard a larger role in the next Kid Icarus game? He's a really great guy - he's helped us out of a jam when we needed it."
"I'll consider it Popo. Now go get yourselves washed up - you two are soaked in vegetable juice. How big of an eggplant did you eat?"

The deepest lore.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet

Sakurai was frustrated - Pit had apparently disappeared. Where could he have gone? Pit was a good friend of Sakurai's, he had helped Pit get back on his feet after two decades of unemployment, so Pit wouldn't leave without telling him, right? This was a problem; Sakurai had to keep working on the Wii U version, but without someone to fill in for Pit, he would lose precious time. He was pressed for time enough already, he didn't need another delay.
After some time searching and asking around for Pit's whereabouts, Sakurai returned back to his desk to find the Ice Climbers, their faces covered in eggplant juice.
Sakurai knew they couldn't stay, but without Smash they would be jobless, and probably homeless too. He felt bad for cutting them, and there wouldn't be any harm in giving them a place to stay for the night, right?
"Fine, you can fill in for a bit - but when Pit comes back I'm afraid I'll have to ask you to go."
"We understand, we'll leave whenever you find him" replied the duo in unison. They got up, took a piece of cardboard with WILL WORK FOR VEGETABLES written on it, and walked towards the doorway. Just as they got there, Popo turned around.
"Hey Mr. Sakurai, may I ask you a question? Have you ever considered giving Mr. Eggplant Wizard a larger role in the next Kid Icarus game? He's a really great guy - he's helped us out of a jam when we needed it."
"I'll consider it Popo. Now go get yourselves washed up - you two are soaked in vegetable juice. How big of an eggplant did you eat?"

I remember someone posting that the HD models in the Wii U version would take too long to load for transitions, and that's why they were scrapped. Is that possible?

Still can't believe there's no Eggplant Wizard in the game. Not even in Smash Run iirc.

That Eggplant dude from Wrecking Crew would actually be a cool DLC character though, since you could have him represent all the Eggplant Nintendo shit.

Not sure how the hallway running sequence in star fox 64 is supposed to work if everyone is too big for the cockpit!

"The Smash Bros. series doesn't always stay true to scale."
This isn't the first time a space animal has been resized to fit into a vehicle.
Still can't believe there's no Eggplant Wizard in the game. Not even in Smash Run iirc.

That Eggplant dude from Wrecking Crew would actually be a cool DLC character though, since you could have him represent all the Eggplant Nintendo shit.

Not even a random trophy, either. There's an Eggplant Pit trophy, but no Eggplant Wizard trophy.
Probably the most iconic enemy from the original game, and we don't get to see him in at all. Considering how many models for Smash Run were reused (and how many trophies were direct asset rips), it seems odd to ignore the Eggplant Wizard completely.
Maybe he's in the Wii U version as an Assist (or at least a trophy)?

zlCfzSf4dgMGlpz5pK

Pic of the day. This is the Orbital Gate stage. This is a Wii U version-exclusive stage reenacting Team Star Fox's defense of the Orbital Gate from an Aparoid missile attack.

zlCfzSf4dmIcWCqqkZ

Missiles are launched towards the Orbital Gate! The force field shields the machinery for a while, and the missiles eventually get shot down by team Star Fox. Overall, this stage feels like a ride. It's pretty hectic, so hold on tight!

zlCfzSf4dp8qHQrVmU

The Arwings are passing through the gate! And the fighters hop on for a free ride!!

Its-so-beautiful.gif

Zubz

Banned
Not sure how the hallway running sequence in star fox 64 is supposed to work if everyone is too big for the cockpit!

They couldn't even get in; look at the "neck" of the ship? Great Fox? More like "So-So Fox."

I'm surprised it's not a trophy, but I guess they'd have to model everyone as an Eggplant with legs for Smash Run, so I can see why he's gone.

And Waluigi's special pitch in Mario Superstar Baseball was Eggplant-themed... just saying.

They couldn't even get in; look at the "neck" of the ship? Great Fox? More like "So-So Fox."

I'm surprised it's not a trophy, but I guess they'd have to model everyone as an Eggplant with legs for Smash Run, so I can see why he's gone.

And Waluigi's special pitch in Mario Superstar Baseball was Eggplant-themed... just saying.

Waluigi for Eggplant rep?

Dimmle

I'm not sure that the 3DS version's development has negatively impacted the Wii U version in any ways that aren't related to roster or specific character mechanics (it's debatable whether transformations were a good thing to begin with, even).

It seems apparent that the Wii U version enjoyed the lion's share of attention in development, and any aspect that the home console hardware can manage over the handheld is being implemented accordingly: multiple Pokemon, fluid Assist Trophies, more ambitious stages, and additional hazards (whether that last one is viewed positively is another matter), for example. I'm hopeful that we'll start to see this idea pan out in the next few months. I'm fairly confident we'll see a more robust set of modes and bonuses on Wii U (and maybe, gasp, an intro).

Wait a second guys - who said there could only be one eggplant rep? There's four more slots left on the roster, so clearly we have room for the Eggplant DLC Pack:

We can all agree that this is the best course of action for DLC.

Bass260

Damn, this is too dark. Pit is never coming back, is he?

Enforced

Haha yesterday i streetpass one guy from campus and I added "Ridley" then just now he replied me back "too big" he understood the joke. :p

Josh5890

Every day that goes by without a release date I worry more and more that the Wii-U version won't be out this year. I know there have been several leaked dates but to me if Nintendo knew when the game would be 100% ready to ship they would want to make the date known asap, especially considering they need this game to help console sales.

Neoxon

Every day that goes by without a release date I worry more and more that the Wii-U version won't be out this year. I know there have been several leaked dates but to me if Nintendo knew when the game would be 100% ready to ship they would want to make the date known asap, especially considering they need this game to help console sales.
They're in an awkward position to where they don't want to derail the 3DS hype by revealing the Wii U date too soon. Smash U won't get delayed to next year, as the fate of the Amiibo figures & the Wii U itself depend on Smash U. The game's release date was changed from Winter 2014 to Holiday 2014 to prevent these fears.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Less than 28 days before we know: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/schedule/index.html

Neiteio

The WiiU stages are looking so good. Really looking forward to Pilotwings, Mushroom Kingdom U, Palutena's Temple, Gamer and Orbital Gate.

The Lamp

zlCfzSf4dgMGlpz5pK

Pic of the day. This is the Orbital Gate stage. This is a Wii U version-exclusive stage reenacting Team Star Fox's defense of the Orbital Gate from an Aparoid missile attack.

zlCfzSf4dmIcWCqqkZ

Missiles are launched towards the Orbital Gate! The force field shields the machinery for a while, and the missiles eventually get shot down by team Star Fox. Overall, this stage feels like a ride. It's pretty hectic, so hold on tight!

zlCfzSf4dp8qHQrVmU

The Arwings are passing through the gate! And the fighters hop on for a free ride!!

m1nbK0n.gif

Dryk

The WiiU stages are looking so good. Really looking forward to Pilotwings, Mushroom Kingdom U, Palutena's Temple, Gamer and Orbital Gate.
I really wish Paluetena's Temple was smaller. A lot of its components look really great but it's just too damn big.

Golnei

Considering we know the Gear Getaway music, it could be a good chance we get a Returns or Tropical Freeze stage on the Wii U version.

I'm not so sure - I'd definitely think that would be the case if it were a Smash Run track, but as it's tied to Jungle Japes, it might be more of a sign that we're not getting a Returns stage.

Rösti;132465686 said:
Some basic trivia:

ssbnamesazy1h.png

Villager has a different name in every language, but it's just the translated version of it, so it means villager or inhabitant etc. Duck Hunt (Duo) not included here.

Also, Marth is called марс (Mars) in Russian.

Fucking Glurak.

Also, Mars sounds like it should have been the correct translation initially.

I really wish Paluetena's Temple was smaller. A lot of its components look really great but it's just too damn big.
It's the Ridley of stages.
I'm not so sure - I'd definitely think that would be the case if it were a Smash Run track, but as it's tied to Jungle Japes, it might be more of a sign that we're not getting a Returns stage.

Don't... don't say that...
We haven't seen a new Donkey Kong stage yet, would they really completely ignore the Donkey Kong series?...
oh god Rumble Falls is going to fill in for the series isn't it?

"The Smash Bros. series doesn't always stay true to scale."
This isn't the first time a space animal has been resized to fit into a vehicle.

Probably the most iconic enemy from the original game, and we don't get to see him in at all. Considering how many models for Smash Run were reused (and how many trophies were direct asset rips), it seems odd to ignore the Eggplant Wizard completely.
Maybe he's in the Wii U version as an Assist (or at least a trophy)?

I find it equally strange that we are missing Pandora as well.

Pandora_Art.png

I mean, I figured she would at least get a trophy since she's a major boss in the series. It's even more shocking that Amazon Pandora is absent, considering all of the "fan-service" these games have been delivering. Hopefully she appears as a boss in the Wii U version.

Golnei

Don't... don't say that...
We haven't seen a new Donkey Kong stage yet, would they really completely ignore the the series?...
oh god Rumble Falls is going to fill in for the series isn't it?

The Rumble Falls / 75m combo being summoned from the deep is the worst possible scenario, but I think it's more than possible that the one new DK stage we receive isn't Returns-based - perhaps it'll be a Barrel Blast scrolling stage instead. Don't forget that Samus has three (!) palettes based on Retro spinoffs; giving their games any more representation would upset the natural order. It makes much more sense to focus on mainline installments like Barrel Blast and Other M.

Drago

Considering we know the Gear Getaway music, it could be a good chance we get a Returns or Tropical Freeze stage on the Wii U version.
A Factory DK stage would be absolutely sublime. There are so many DK locations and setting tropes that are perfect Smash stage candidates yet it feels like we're always getting jungle settings for DK stages (barring 75m based on the original arcade game). I want to see them branch out with DK stages for once.

SoulUnison

Banned
Just put 50$ in my eShop account, in case the payment servers go down like they did for the Midnight Pokemon X/Y launch.

I love that most games are 40 or 60 dollars, but eShop cards only seem to come in 35 and 50 dollar varieties?

Pretty sneaky, Sis.

-Horizon-

I remember someone posting that the HD models in the Wii U version would take too long to load for transitions, and that's why they were scrapped. Is that possible?

I thought we agreed we would leave the fanfic writing to the professionals.
I miss our smashgaf fanfic

I liked the idea of 75M, but it should been a stage that moves onto each different M stages (25-100). Rumble Falls is unreedemable to me though. All you did was go up. I cannot see how to make it better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom