• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veeboy

It sounds like they caught Falco's VA unawares as he was reading over the script rather than actually acting.
Smashville really should have been in the 3DS version instead. It's based on a handheld game, and it nicely complements Tortimer Island.

Wasn't Smashville based on City Folk for the Wii?

Either way I feel it slightly weird to have two very similar stages like this on the Wii U, but whatever I'm not gonna complain about more stages.

Neoxon

It sounds like they caught Falco's VA unawares as he was reading over the script rather than actually acting.

Wasn't Smashville based on City Folk for the Wii?

Either way I feel it slightly weird to have two very similar stages like this on the Wii U, but whatever I'm not gonna complain about more stages.
Wild World, actually. City Folk is Town & City. Why, is Smashville in the Wii U version?

Brawl had Pokemon Stadium 1 and Pokemon Stadium 2, so Smashville being in alongside Town & City isn't really unusual.

Holy shit, those are some nice renders. Do you have a link to a gallery with all of them?
Shame we don't get that with the secret characters then.

http://www.smashbros.com/images/og/XXXX.jpg

Replace the "XXXX" with the name of the character's page name on the official site, which usually follows the Japanese name. So Robin would be Reflet. The secret characters are "Secret01" through "Secret03" and inputting those gets you the silhouettes, and I've tried using their actual character names, but to no avail.

Smashville really should have been in the 3DS version instead. It's based on a handheld game, and it nicely complements Tortimer Island.
The only franchise that got both new and returning stages in the 3DS version is Mario and were otherwise exclusively used to fill series gaps.

Ryce

Brawl had Pokemon Stadium 1 and Pokemon Stadium 2, so Smashville being in alongside Town & City isn't really unusual.
The two Pokémon Stadiums each represented a different set of Pokémon types, but Smashville and Town & City are essentially the same thing thematically. This seems way more redundant to me.

EhoaVash

screen-1.jpg

ouch, that has to hurt

J-Tier

Maybe the time based mechanics of Smashville are too much for the 3DS. I.e. K.k. Slider showing up Saturday nights.

Just my speculation.

EhoaVash

Waiting for that Smash U announcement. Come on Nintendo.

probably MOnday man, nintendo will want to release a big PR showing off how much smash 3DS sold and shit, in the last line will be, and oh yeah Smash bros wii u releases november 21st with Amiibo's

;d

screen-7.jpg

The galaxy stage makes ness's final smash looks spectacular o.o

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
By the way once I get my router done I will add those FC requests in my PM!

Maybe the time based mechanics of Smashville are too much for the 3DS. I.e. K.k. Slider showing up Saturday nights.

Just my speculation.

Huh, I always thought it could be implemented easily since other 3DS games do it, and they already do the "implement Miis in the game".

Speaking of which any good Mii codes?

J-Tier

By the way once I get my router done I will add those FC requests in my PM!

Huh, I always thought it could be implemented easily since other 3DS games do it, and they already do the "implement Miis in the game".

Speaking of which any good Mii codes?
yeah, the 3DS has an internal timer, but I'm just throwing things out there. Who knows.

Is it just me, or is the Onett looking stage in HD? Makes me wonder if that's more of a "new" stage akin to the Mute City demake and less a returning stage.

DrStiles

yeah, the 3DS has an internal timer, but I'm just throwing things out there. Who knows.

Well Smash 3DS forces a lighter version of the OS to load or something, so maybe that's one of the features that gets dropped/removed when in it? I'm sure there is some technical reason involved.

NeonZ

Wild World, actually. City Folk is Town & City. Why, is Smashville in the Wii U version?

Probably because most series only had one stage in the 3ds version, but it seems like many series are getting two stages in the Wii U version.

Is it just me, or is the Onett looking stage in HD? Makes me wonder if that's more of a "new" stage akin to the Mute City demake and less a returning stage.

The Castle Siege stage also had new textures. The actual modeling doesn't seem to be improved.

I'm pretty sure the recent image dump deconfirmed the Tower of Smash leak. If I recall correctly, it mentions that Magicant would also be on the Wii U version. Don't you think that they would've shown at least one image of a supposed new stage instead of one that's been in the past three games? Also, Orbital Gate is constantly changing. I'm sure it would've been simply referred to as Star Fox Space Stage instead of Great Fox.

Hatchtag

Banned
The two Pokémon Stadiums each represented a different set of Pokémon types, but Smashville and Town & City are essentially the same thing thematically. This seems way more redundant to me.

Eh. Pokemon Stadiums were both the same thematically too, and you could argue they're repping different entries in the Animal Crossing series just like the Pokemon Stadiums are repping different types. I'm happy this is back in, because the 3DS version has me scared there won't be enough competitive stages.
So far we're at:
Returning Competitive Stages:
-Final Destination
-Battlefield
-Smashville
Very likely:
-Town & City (size might be an issue)
Likely/Counterpick:
-Halberd
-Pilotwings
-Skyloft
Likely but needs more info:
-Kalos Pokemon League
Has a chance but not a high one:
-Pyrosphere
-Mushroom Kingdom U

The thing about leaks: it's not reasonable to expect that the leaker necessarily saw a stage list in its final form. Just as the Gematsu leaker had "Pokemon X/Y" and "Chrom" instead of Greninja and Robin, it's very likely that someone saw a "Great Fox" stage, and that evolved into a more complex stage over time during development. Snapshots need not tell the whole story to be true.

Porcile

Ness looks fantastic! It's amazing how well Nintendo franchises have scaled up through the generations.

Also, as much as I like the 3DS version I'm so glad we're getting the Wii U version as well.

One thing that someone else noted earlier is that the leaker possibly saw the stage select screen instead of the stages themselves. This would explain how he got "Great Fox" and "Game & Wario" instead of what they actually are.

I gave up on the leak after the Orbital Gate level.

But it's still something worth noting.

One thing that someone else noted earlier is that the leaker probably saw the stage select screen instead of the stages themselves. This would explain how he got "Great Fox" and "Game & Wario" instead of what they actually are.

Change "probably" to "possibly." If all he got right Smashville, Onett, and Gamer under the name "Game & Wario," he would've been a lucky guesser and nothing more.
It's way, way too soon to say anything about "early information."

One thing that someone else noted earlier is that the leaker probably saw the stage select screen instead of the stages themselves. This would explain how he got "Great Fox" and "Game & Wario" instead of what they actually are.

Yeah, this is what I'm thinking. I totally discounted it after Great Fox, but Smashville makes me believe a little.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Only thing is, if Magicant was in the Wii U Version, I feel like Sakurai would've shown it here since he casually showed both Onett and Magicant 3DS.

Also:

V1LdrEs.jpg

Is this a Wario Land 4 reference? You know, Puffy Wario when he was stung by the bees?

(the picture that is, I know the bees are an item)

Only thing is, if Magicant was in the Wii U Version, I feel like Sakurai would've shown it here since he casually showed both Onett and Magicant 3DS.

He wants to keep us from looking at Magicant in beautiful HD.
Damn It Sakurai!

On a serious note, the stage wasn't shown before the 3DS' release, so maybe he doesn't want to show it before WiiU release?
Wouldn't make any sense, but hey, its Sakurai.

Watch Da Birdie

Another thing interesting is the leak mentions the "Wii U Version" will have every Character and Stage from the start, and he doesn't seem to hesitate showing off the Wii U Models of new characters, or Gamer, which presumably would be locked if Wario was secret.

So if that part's true, I don't think he'd hesitate showing off Magicant. Of course, there's only one pic of the 3DS Magicant, and I'm sure he'll go into more detail about it and maybe show the HD Version.

I wish Sakurai would've mentioned the exact unlock methods for the characters though.

Hatchtag

Banned
I could see him holding off on showing Wii U Magicant, since it did take him forever to show off 3DS Wily's Castle and it took until revealing that there were two versions of the Punch-Out stage to show off the 3DS version. So I could see him waiting for a bit to show off Magicant also being on the Wii U.

Watch Da Birdie

I could see him holding off on showing Wii U Magicant, since it did take him forever to show off 3DS Wily's Castle and it took until revealing that there were two versions of the Punch-Out stage to show off the 3DS version. So I could see him waiting for a bit to show off Magicant also being on the Wii U.

Really? I swear I recall the 3DS Punch-Out was shown in the Little Mac pictures.

Why I think the "Tower of Smash leak" is wrong:
First of all, it's a text leak. Sure, Brawl was leaked via text, and the Ninka/Vanroose leaks were both text. But consider how many text leaks there are that aren't right. I've seen some with just about the same amount of detail as this one that ended up being really, really wrong.

Then there's the issue of there being five characters unlocked via linking.
chars.jpg

Pretty clearly only room for four on the 3DS roster, without some major rearranging.
He also uses the name "Chorus Men" instead of "Chorus Kids," which is rather suspect.

He's been right about two of the returning stages (Onett and Smashville, not Castle Siege as it had been revealed beforehand), but that's because he guessed fifteen. Excluding Final Destination and Battlefield, there are thirty-nine stages in Brawl to choose from. The "Tower of Smash" leaker chose a little less than half. It's not surprising that he would get two right. Even if Smashville was an odd choice, it alone is not enough to prove anything.
Then there's the issue of the shared stages. Sakurai said (or at least implied) that each version would have different returning stages, yet WarioWare, Flat Zone 2, and Distant Planet are all listed among the Wii U returning stages, even though all three are on the 3DS version.

In terms of new stages, he's been "correct" about one.
He put "Game & Wario" as a new stage, and he sort of got that right; it's actually called Gamer. However, guessing that correctly wasn't hard: Game & Wario the most recent Wario game, and we already had three other stages based on a Wii U titles. Ashley and Kat & Ana, both use their Game & Wario redesigns as well.
Great Fox has been known about since July, but now we know it's actually called Orbital Gate. That should be a point against the leak, not for it.
Some people defend that maybe he only saw these two stages as small icons on the Stage Select menu, and that's why he used those names to describe them. That still doesn't explain how he knew so much detail about the alleged "Tower of Smash" mode, or how he knew that the Game & Watch stage was Green House.

I don't want this to be wrong, and I would be happy if it turned out to be true. Fifty-five stages and five new characters would be awesome.
I just don't want people to be crushingly disappointed when it turns out not to be a fake. I've seen enough people get mad about not getting characters they felt entitled to, like Ridley or Chorus Kids, and I don't want to see people get mad again when they don't have more characters or fifty-five stages.
Until we get a really out-of-nowhere stage reveal, or confirmation that Tower of Smash exists, there's no real reason to believe that this leak is real, or even "early information."

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
charactermjy80.png

At the bottom right are six empty slots. With Ness, Falco, Wario and Duck Hunt, that leaves two empty spots.

Ridley and K. Rool?

Watch Da Birdie

Um, they'll expand the size since we still have, like 8 secret characters left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom