• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mariolee

Are these really Fox's and Falco's voices this time around?

Holy shit, those are some nice renders. Do you have a link to a gallery with all of them?
Shame we don't get that with the secret characters then.

It's far from confirmed.

Pros:
Smashville confirmed
Onett, a predictable returning choice, confirmed too

Cons:
Game & Wario is actually called Gamer
Great Fox is actually called Orbital Gate
It's too good to be true

Still total bull in my opinion.

So he mixed up the names.
I also cannot believe how good you are supposedly at guessing. You would've guessed and predicted Smashville, Onett, AND a Game & Wario stage? You should be going to Vegas dude. :)

Uh, unless you have insider info or something, it's still really early to be talking shit about knowing the leak was real all along. Look, I want it to be real too (so badly), but correctly identifying two returning stages, sorta-correctly identifying one new stage but getting its name wrong, and getting another new stage's name wrong (though understandably so, in both cases) doesn't exactly inspire 100% confidence. More like... 52% confidence. Maybe.

OK lol just to be clear, I'm not really talking shit about anything. Just having some fun over exaggerating and stuff.

Also, I think a good explanation for getting the stages descriptions right but not the names is possibly because the leaker had access to how the stages looked but not their formal names. I also think that this "Tower of Smash" thing sounds like a totally Sakurai thing to do. It's not a story mode, and it's almost similar in concept to the whole Smash Run thing of being this alternate mode that relies on a variety of endurance challenges.

Golnei

I also cannot believe how good you are supposedly at guessing. You would've guessed and predicted Smashville, Onett, AND a Game & Wario stage? You should be going to Vegas dude. :)

Considering the amount of returning stages they predicted, I wouldn't really consider those to be decisive evidence - Game & Wario is the only new stage corresponding to the leak without the influence of prior media. And while it hasn't been formally disproved at this point, the implausible nature of its claims and lack of corroborating evidence at this point lead me to doubt it.

Wario has some solid dental hygiene despite eating garlic and other people all day.

He also has a surprising amount of muscle definition for a guy who's supposedly a lazy glutton. Maybe it's all just an aesthetic dictated by his PR people.

Kurtofan

The only possible returning Animal Crossing stage, the most popular Mother stage and a stage based on the most recent Wario game?

jnWake

Let the people speculate and have some fun, there's no wrong in that.

Who cares if the "leak" is true or false, it brings some discussion and hype to this thread and that's great. Or would you rather have people discuss Ridley's size, K. Rool's chances and Sakurai's bias for the millionth time?

OK lol just to be clear, I'm not really talking shit about anything. Just having some fun over exaggerating and stuff.

Also, I think a good explanation for getting the stages descriptions right but not the names is possibly because the leaker had access to how the stages looked but not their formal names. I also think that this "Tower of Smash" thing sounds like a totally Sakurai thing to do. It's not a story mode, and it's almost similar in concept to the whole Smash Run thing of being this alternate mode that relies on a variety of endurance challenges.
Covered all of this. Not lucky guesses, just choosing almost half the Brawl stages and getting two right, then getting a Game & Wario stage right by giving it the most generic name.
Why I think the "Tower of Smash leak" is wrong:

First of all, it's a text leak. Sure, Brawl was leaked via text, and the Ninka/Vanroose leaks were both text. But consider how many text leaks there are that aren't right. I've seen some with just about the same amount of detail as this one that ended up being really, really wrong.

Then there's the issue of there being five characters unlocked via linking.
chars.jpg

Pretty clearly only room for four on the 3DS roster, without some major rearranging.
He also uses the name "Chorus Men" instead of "Chorus Kids," which is rather suspect.

He's been right about two of the returning stages (Onett and Smashville, not Castle Siege as it had been revealed beforehand), but that's because he guessed fifteen. Excluding Final Destination and Battlefield, there are thirty-nine stages in Brawl to choose from. The "Tower of Smash" leaker chose a little less than half. It's not surprising that he would get two right. Even if Smashville was an odd choice, it alone is not enough to prove anything.
Then there's the issue of the shared stages. Sakurai said (or at least implied) that each version would have different returning stages, yet WarioWare, Flat Zone 2, and Distant Planet are all listed among the Wii U returning stages, even though all three are on the 3DS version.

In terms of new stages, he's been "correct" about one.
He put "Game & Wario" as a new stage, and he sort of got that right; it's actually called Gamer. However, guessing that correctly wasn't hard: Game & Wario the most recent Wario game, and we already had three other stages based on a Wii U titles. Ashley and Kat & Ana, both use their Game & Wario redesigns as well.
Great Fox has been known about since July, but now we know it's actually called Orbital Gate. That should be a point against the leak, not for it.
Some people defend that maybe he only saw these two stages as small icons on the Stage Select menu, and that's why he used those names to describe them. That still doesn't explain how he knew so much detail about the alleged "Tower of Smash" mode, or how he knew that the Game & Watch stage was Green House.

I don't want this to be wrong, and I would be happy if it turned out to be true. Fifty-five stages and five new characters would be awesome.
I just don't want people to be crushingly disappointed when it turns out not to be a fake. I've seen enough people get mad about not getting characters they felt entitled to, like Ridley or Chorus Kids, and I don't want to see people get mad again when they don't have more characters or fifty-five stages.
Until we get a really out-of-nowhere stage reveal, or confirmation that Tower of Smash exists, there's no real reason to believe that this leak is real, or even "early information."

I would've expected you to be the last person to complain about cute artifically-created pets :p

Chao Garden was the best thing about the Sonic Adventure games

Chao are literally the worst parts of the Sonic games. Sonic 06 was a decent game by default because it implied there was a burnt-out Chao Garden in-universe.

georly

Captain Toad can't jump though :/

Captain toad can be launched out of a warp pipe, though!

The number of spots left on the character screen doesn't mean anything. We already know there's a screen change arrow.

Right, but why would you have a screen change arrow for TWO characters? (4 slots left, one of them is for screen change, so 3 on one, two on the next page?)

I suppose the whole CSS could be rearranged... but who get to be the ones demoted to 'page two'?

Ryce

Yeah, neither can Villager or Olimar, too bad they didn't get in either :(

I'm sure lack of jump wouldn't stop Sakurai from potentially putting Captain Toad in Smash!
Villager and Olimar don't jump in their games, but Captain Toad can't jump. That's his defining characteristic -- it's literally why the Captain Toad game exists. Giving Captain Toad the ability to jump is like making Little Mac a kickboxer. It would work on a technical level, but it just isn't true to the character.

Captain toad can be launched out of a warp pipe, though!

Right, but why would you have a screen change arrow for TWO characters? (4 slots left, one of them is for screen change, so 3 on one, two on the next page?)

I suppose the whole CSS could be rearranged... but who get to be the ones demoted to 'page two'?
I was thinking just sticking the arrow in the bottom row, then making all of the DLC characters on page 2.

?oe?oe

Stop analysing supposed leaks. People have proven real leaks to be false when they were, in fact, true. It doesn't matter either way. Let people have their fun :)

Richie

Have we talked about how we have the basic layout for the Wii U's main selection screen? If you click on the Wii U option in the 3DS version, it lets you see it.

So how's Little Mac?

I'm not a big fan of Smash, but I love Little Mac and think it's cool that he's in the game. If I ever end up picking it up I'd probably use him.

The number of spots left on the character screen doesn't mean anything. We already know there's a screen change arrow.
It does mean something. Are you really saying they would include the arrows to put two characters on another page?
Stop analysing supposed leaks. People have proven real leaks to be false when they were, in fact, true. It doesn't matter either way. Let people have their fun :)
I'll stop if people stop saying "the leak is real" or "early information" because so far we have two returning stages and a predictable new stage under a generic name. It's too soon for this. I feel like this is only worth mentioning if we get an Endless Ocean stage, a second Kid Icarus: Uprising stage, or a returning stage on both versions.

Hatchtag

Banned
It does mean something. Are you really saying they would include the arrows to put two characters on another page?

I'll stop if people stop saying "the leak is real" or "early information" because so far we have two returning stages and a predictable new stage under a generic name. It's too soon for this. I feel like this is only worth mentioning if we get an Endless Ocean stage, a second Kid Icarus: Uprising stage, or a returning stage on both versions.

No one seriously believes this yet. Let them speculate and have fun. Aside from dumb polls, there's nothing else to discuss anyways.

Timeline of events:

May 16 2013 - MiiVerse user PaulyU asks the question below:

April 28 2014 - NintendoUK Twitter account posts the following as an advertisement for NES Remix 2:

October 3 2014 - Trophy description in Super Smash Bros. for 3DS:

PaulyU may have been banned, but he still lives on in spirit. Right now, he's probably the most influential member of MiiVerse ever. If only Jellyfish could've helped him...

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I can't even count how many times Greninja's wall cling has messed up my recovery.

Edit: Oh wait; Wii U version, sorry.

shaowebb

I would've expected you to be the last person to complain about cute artifically-created pets :p

Chao Garden was the best thing about the Sonic Adventure games

Agreed. Chao Garden was the best thing about Sonic Adventure games.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
jsWUNoN.jpg

Are there two Varia Suits trophys?

my description is completly different.

"The Varia Suit is the armour Samus is most commonly seen in. It not only grants her power far beyond...... "

no mention of crawls.

Edit: took a pic

vJEpxKi.jpg

jsWUNoN.jpg

Are there two Varia Suits trophys?

my description is completly different.

"The Varia Suit is the armour Samus is most commonly seen in. It not only grants her power far beyond...... "

no mention of crawls.

Edit: took a pic

vJEpxKi.jpg
Would it be possible that there are regional differences between trophies?
What region are you in?

NeonZ

Villager and Olimar don't jump in their games, but Captain Toad can't jump. That's his defining characteristic -- it's literally why the Captain Toad game exists. Giving Captain Toad the ability to jump is like making Little Mac a kickboxer. It would work on a technical level, but it just isn't true to the character.

Captain Toad jumps out of a chest once in Galaxy.

No, not at all. Why does the first page have to be full?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom