• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Villager and Olimar don't jump in their games, but Captain Toad can't jump. That's his defining characteristic -- it's literally why the Captain Toad game exists. Giving Captain Toad the ability to jump is like making Little Mac a kickboxer. It would work on a technical level, but it just isn't true to the character.

He could get launched in the air by anything though. Maybe a jetpack or something.
They could figure something out that would make it feel he's not easily leaving the ground.

Can we stuff a big enough crow into this thread for The Captain if the Tower of Smash leak ends up being true. Dude has gone to war when no one here is really arguing against him lol

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
What? Now I'm curious! :O

Maybe not Sakurai, it was in that big magazine blowout a few months back...Famitsu I think.

It was a picture of Diddy wearing the Sticky Bomb (so he had a glowing helmet), and Villager was using his Net Grab.

Someone on reddit uploaded a high quality renders for all alternate costumes for all characters here

Whaaat, where did they get them from?? Sick!

They stuffed up with female Robin though... :/

Edit: Finally, renders for alt characters!

dO2caFP.jpg

the wii u version hopefully has some transferable characters or I am not that interested since i will have my feel with the 3ds. of the characters

ugoo18

Why is it so hard to understand that it is in Nintendo's best interest to let the 3DS version sell for a bit before pushing the Wii U version? I see these kinds of comments far too often around here.

One of Nintendo's two consoles needs Smash sales pretty badly and it certainly isn't the 3DS.

Yeah, neither can Villager or Olimar, too bad they didn't get in either :(

I'm sure lack of jump wouldn't stop Sakurai from potentially putting Captain Toad in Smash!
Actually, Olimar can jump. He's rather good at it. He just chooses not to.
Captain Toad's main gimmick is that he's a character in a platforming game that can't jump, forcing you to change the way you play.
Can we stuff a big enough crow into this thread for The Captain if the Tower of Smash leak ends up being true. Dude has gone to war when no one here is really arguing against him lol

Well it's not too hard actually. Just start with a normal sized crow, then have him face off against Yoshi in Multi Man Smash.

Remember that discussion we had about whether or not this alternate costume for Zelda was based on Ocarina of Time Zelda or Wind Waker Zelda? I think we can finish it.

This is Ocarina of Time Zelda:

She has a darker colored dress, and a purple/pink pattern at the bottom.

This is Wind Waker Zelda:

She has a lighter shade of pink for her dress, brighter blond hair, and a blue pattern at the bottom.

*mic dropped*

Someone on reddit uploaded a high quality renders for all alternate costumes for all characters here

Wow! There are some really nice details you can catch in these hi res renders

-The different designs on Dedede's waistband.
-"American" ROB has a different label on the bottom opposed to others
-Shulk's Riki color scheme actually features Riki's X scar

Anyone discover anything else?

Blood Falcon color scheme has the Blood Hawk insignia.

jnWake

- Super minor but Peach's Daisy costume changes the order of the crown's jewels (only one that does that).
- The two Little Mac costumes with striped shorts say "MAC" in the waist. It looks funny.
- I had never noticed Dr. Mario wears a tie haha.

Mr. Game & Watch's alt renders confuse me so much. Scrolling through them quickly makes you think some are bigger haha.

J-Tier

Aw, I got excited for a moment. I thought they were transparent hi-res images, but it does reveal a lot of detail for the alts which is awesome.

Tell you what. If someone can provide me with a screenshot of a giant black Falco next to a blue Toon Link, and it looks good when adjusted to 100x120 pixels, I will use it as my avatar in case the Tower of Smash leak ends up being true.

How long will I keep it? I think one week for every post I've made calling the leak fake should be good enough. I'm only counting ones where I explicitly said the leak was fake, or that there was no reason to believe it.
So that's 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 weeks total, or eighty-four days. Might as well bump it up to thirteen weeks to make it a full ninety-one days (or three months) so here: the leak is fake.
My punishment would last from November 21 - February 20 (assuming that this is the actual release date for the Wii U version).

But if it does end up being wrong, I'll already have used up all of my cockiness about it being wrong. If I make some sort of snarky remark gloating about me being right after it's been deconfirmed, I'll have to use that same avatar for the ninety-one days anyway.

Sound good?

Anything I talk about regarding the leak that's not related to this post will be added to the total amount of time by two weeks.
Feel free to take some artistic licensing with the 3DS screencap, as long as it includes blue Toon Link and a giant black Falco.

avens

Neo Member
Sup. I haven't followed anything regarding the new smash, so I have one (stupid) question:

Where are you pre-ordering the complete bundle for Wii U? Amazon?

Captain Toad's mentioned in Toad's Trophy...

Totally thinking he's DLC now.
Yeah I found that kinda interesting aswell. Guess I'll add him to my predictions list:

Metal Face (Don't think he'd be a Boss in one version and not the other. Trailer was kinda done like Dark Pit.)
Simon Belmont (Unusual amount of Castlevania games on VC lately. Happened the same way before and after Mega Man and Pac-Man were revealed. Just a feeling.)
Snake (If the above is correct, that means Konami is on board so no reason why Snake wouldn't return.)
Captain Toad (Interesting trophy)

Also found it interesting that I heard Isabelle had two trophies, but not confident about that to put it in my prediction. (And before you ask, no I'm not avatar betting :p)

Whats interesting, while obviously the two Konami characters wouldn't have one, as far as I'm aware Metal Face nor Captain Toad have trophies on 3DS. (Might be wrong.) Which would point to being a trophy means you won't get n as a playable character if I'm right.
I'm probably not, but more confident in Metal Face than anything. Dunno why, but lack of boss when the trailer was like that is setting off my really feeling it alarms.
Which means RiP Mewtwo, Lucas, and Wolf. And hello Ridley lol. (Again I don't see why someone as important to the Metroid series would only get a trophy in one version.)

Of course, if we don't get DLC, then I am fine with the roster, its pretty much perfect to me as is. But fun to speculate. Just wish if we knew for certain if there was a point to speculating lol. It would be great imo if they came out with 2-4 characters each year for like 3-4 years or so. Always knowing a new character is commg would be something else.

That alt color album just reminds me of how bad Wario's colors are now. ;_;

Godly Aerodactyl Charizard is godly though.
What are the keys to getting good with Little Mac? He's a lot of fun to play as but I feel limited at the same time.
Spacing and patience are key to using him. He's a glass cannon, so you have to be really careful with him and basically try your best to not get hit. Try to use his safe moves to pressure, he has a lot of these. (Forward Tilt in particular is really good)

Easier said than done, of course. He's one of the hardest character to use, but he's deadly in the right hand. You have to be good at dodging and reading.

Ridley is likely a Wii U only trophy because he is a stage hazard for a Wii U only stage.

This is the most likely scenario, but people keep insisting that it's because he'll be playable.

And then people who use this as support for Ridley/Dixie/Chorus Kids/Mewtwo leak forget that the other three already have trophies in the 3DS version.

watershed

Banned
Spacing and patience are key to using him. He's a glass cannon, so you have to be really careful with him and basically try your best to not get hit. Try to use his safe moves to pressure, he has a lot of these. (Forward Tilt in particular is really good)

Easier said than done, of course. He's one of the hardest character to use, but he's deadly in the right hand. You have to be good at dodging and reading.

Thanks for the tips. Little Mac's knockout power is so appealing but yeah I think picking spots is really important for him. I gotta try not to overreach jumping into the fray.

Neoxon

This is the most likely scenario, but people keep insisting that it's because he'll be playable.

And then people who use this as support for Ridley/Dixie/Chorus Kids/Mewtwo leak forget that the other three already have trophies in the 3DS version.
To be fair, we don't know if being just a trophy rules someone out as DLC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom