• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.
None are coming to mind, but I'm pretty sure that none of them are based on the Bounce Bracelet, so there's one opportunity gone.

And yeah; with how big the 3DS version is on a system being pushed to its limits, the Codecs are a worthy sacrifice if they're back in the Wii U version. Sadly, I don't know if Doc Louis'll get anything there, but it's looking like at least Fire Emblem will; Matt Mercer mentioned doing clips of Chrom getting pissy that he wasn't playable. Granted, he referred to a "story mode," too, but it sounded like it was something more than just the stinger at the end of Captain Falcon & Friends' trailer. I'm hoping for Kid Icarus to get some too, though; Uprising had an interesting cast of characters, some barely getting expanded upon. Hell, Magnus has multi-sentence voice clips despite being an AT, so it might make sense if both of them got something. I can see Coliseum, Orbital Gate, and Palutena's Temple having those taunts.

The real question is: what happens to the original Codecs in regards to newcomers if Snake/Shadow Moses Island come back? Do the newcomers have codecs, too? Does Snake just get Static? Does Colonel tell him that their info's outdated and that having an outdated level doesn't make him any less of a person? I know that requires 2 pieces of DLC to become reality, but they're ones a lot of people want!

Yeah, I'm holding out hope they're Wii U exclusive too. Speaking of voice actors though, has anyone compiled a list from the 3DS version. It looks like there are a ton and I saw some like Lisa Ortiz and Patrick Seitz thinking, "Who the hell are THEY voicing?"

b6f.gif

Why? I get the flipping, but why does the item have to magically swap hands?

And why change Fox's and Falco's voices? Considering how many voice samples they've already reused, it doesn't make sense to replace these two with inferior clips.

Because the 3DS isn't meant to run something like smash. You have to cut corners
This statement can be applied to so much of the game.

I still don't get why the decision was made to put a game with a focus on local multiplayer on a handheld system. I know the 3DS version was the original version, and Sakurai was talked into making the Wii U version as well, but my statement still stands.

Does anybody know how the teleporting items work in the Wii U version?

Richie

Smash Run is unexpectedly fun, been playing it nonstop despite there not being much challenges tied to it compared to other modes in the game. Do ya guys think this could have worked -somehow- in the Wii U version? TV divided in 4 screens a lá Mario Kart?

Disappointing, to say the least.
We still have no good substitute for the codec calls, not even with Doc Louis or the Kid Icarus cast.

Guys. Ok codec calls with Doc would be cool, but I need Doc Louis as a playable character next Smash game
with other PO boxers as alts
hnng

BTW, has anyone seen the pink haired female Robin render yet?

I'm not a fan of either Robins' designs tbh except for this beautiful alt.

K.Sabot

The 3DS game has the gall to matchmake me with people thousands of miles away but then give me a 10 minute cooldown when I disconnect from it. And then it won't let me play with my friends.

Here's hoping Wii U has some sort of region choice system.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Yeah, I'm holding out hope they're Wii U exclusive too. Speaking of voice actors though, has anyone compiled a list from the 3DS version. It looks like there are a ton and I saw some like Lisa Ortiz and Patrick Seitz thinking, "Who the hell are THEY voicing?"

Lisa Ortiz does Oshawott and Fletchling,

As for Patrick Seitz, he's Basilio in Fire Emblem, and one of the Lost World dudes from Sonic. Makes me wonder if perhaps Basilio was planned to appear in Arena Ferox, but was cut...and maybe the Fiendish Six appear in Windy Hill in the Wii U Version?

Although he might do a Pokemon, though. Don't see him listed on Bulbapedia but maybe he uses a different name for the show.

OH!

I hope Big Blue is a stage in the WiiU version!

I'm going to customize Sonic to be as fast as possible, and make him run like crazy on the tracks.

I still don't get why the decision was made to put a game with a focus on local multiplayer on a handheld system. I know the 3DS version was the original version, and Sakurai was talked into making the Wii U version as well, but my statement still stands.

Does anybody know how the teleporting items work in the Wii U version?

Because handhelds were designed for local multiplayer. A lot easier to play anywhere with friends without lugging along a TV.

Metal Face is great, one of my favorite characters in Xenoblade.

It's hard to picture him on the roster in Smash, though:
Eh, they can easily shrink him down imo. Guess we'll see. After all the crazy characters so far, nothing will surpise me. Not even the Twitter Bird. (lol)

I need to really play Xenoblade. Put about 15 hours in, but I just can't get into tv games much and have to really love the game to get into it. I like Xenoblade, but not enough to go through the trouble of playing it on a tv haha. 3DS version will be gotten day one!

If we get DLC, and Captain Toad is one of them, I don't think any series will get more than one DLC character and my dream of a playable Tanooki Suit will be dead! :( (Not that there was much hope anywayz but still.)

ugoo18

I'm not saying it's because of Japan but it's because of Japan. Same reason why FD mode for everything exists.

The Gamexplain guys pronounce it "Oh-Nett" I say "One-Ett" because of Twoson, Threed and Fourside, so the pun works with saying it as "One-Ett"

What's the right way to say Onett?

zroid

Banned
The Gamexplain guys pronounce it "Oh-Nett" I say "One-Ett" because of Twoson, Threed and Fourside, so the pun works with saying it as "One-Ett"

What's the right way to say Onett?

I say On-it :p

(don't care if it's right or wrong, been saying that since the 90s, ain't gonna change now)

If we get DLC, and Captain Toad is one of them, I don't think any series will get more than one DLC character and my dream of a playable Tanooki Suit will be dead! :( (Not that there was much hope anywayz but still.)
I don't know why you would want that anyway, but...
mario-kart-8.jpg

Or did you mean the suit alone, with no one inside?

Eh, they can easily shrink him down imo. Guess we'll see. After all the crazy characters so far, nothing will surpise me. Not even the Twitter Bird. (lol)

Are you sure nobody would surprise you?
Here are some unlikely ones:
Doshin the Giant pisses on the competition!
Rusty strikes up a deal!
Any objections, lady? Adam Malkovich does not authorize your victory!
To fight monsters, we created monsters of our own. Giant Robot cancels the apocalypse!
GameBoy Camera easter egg people... you know what, I'm out.

I'm not saying it's because of Japan but it's because of Japan. Same reason why FD mode for everything exists.
And now I feel stupid. That makes a ton of sense.

I named my New Leaf town Threeds, because it was Three-ds. Everyone thought I was making an Earthbound reference. It was a bummer.

georly

So I just realized something.

The Wii U has 4 USB ports which means the following is impossible:

Smash on external drive w/ Y connector (2 USB).
Gamecube Adapter (2 USB)
Wired LAN Adapter (1 USB)

Wait, isn't the Tower of Smash leak the same one with Ridley? :0

But wasn't that Starfox stage not on it?

Here's what I posted a day or 2 ago, w/ some edits.

#Believe:
- Smashville
- Onett
- No Event Mode (Disappointment = Truth)

#Bulls**t:
- Too much info being given
- Impa
- "Great Fox" does not equal "Orbital Gate"
- Currently no sight of WiiU Magicant

#Neutral:
- If "Tower of Smash" is the new mode, Sakurai will/ would probably show it off soon, and advertise it like Smash Run.
- Gamer/ Game & Wario

Anyone got something to add?

So I just realized something.

The Wii U has 4 USB ports which means the following is impossible:

Smash on external drive w/ Y connector (2 USB).
Gamecube Adapter (2 USB)
Wired LAN Adapter (1 USB)

Wait, what's this about a Y-connector? For power, like the adapter?

My external only requires one USB

georly

Here's what I posted a day or 2 ago, w/ some edits.

While I don't believe the leaker at all, either, there always exists the possibility the leaker didn't know the name of orbital gate because it was in japanese/wasn't final, etc. Or maybe the leaker didn't know the name or didn't pay attention to the name and just selected it on picture alone. *shrug*

We'll know more to prove/disprove in a few weeks. Still too early to tell.

While I don't believe the leaker at all, either, there always exists the possibility the leaker didn't know the name of orbital gate because it was in japanese/wasn't final, etc. Or maybe the leaker didn't know the name or didn't pay attention to the name and just selected it on picture alone. *shrug*

We'll know more to prove/disprove in a few weeks. Still too early to tell.

I guess I could change that...

For the new page!

#Believe:
- Smashville
- Onett
- No Event Mode (Disappointment = Truth)

#Bulls**t:
- Too much info being given
- Impa
- Currently no sight of WiiU Magicant

#Neutral:
- If "Tower of Smash" is the new mode, Sakurai will/ would probably show it off soon, and advertise it like Smash Run.
- Gamer/ Game & Wario
- Orbital Gate could be mistaken for the Great Fox. (Great Fox on Stage Select Screen)

Anyone got something to add?

Kangi

He called it "Great Fox" because we had a PotD of a then-unknown stage depicting the Great Fox in space and calling it such. He didn't get the name right because he knew nothing more about the stage than we did... which lends no credit to the "leak".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom