• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I could change that...

For the new page!

Bump Onett down to Nuetral because it really doesn't prove anything. Saying that nearly half the stages will return and then getting two right proves nothing.
Smashville can stay though, that was an unexpected decision on both the faker leaker and Sakurai's part.

He called it "Great Fox" because we had a PotD of a then-unknown stage depicting the Great Fox in space and calling it such. He didn't get the name right because he knew nothing more about the stage than we did... which lends no credit to the "leak".

Exactly. Plus, it doesn't make sense that he would only see icons on the stage select screen, but tons of in-depth info about the Tower of Smash mode.

Exactly. Plus, it doesn't make sense that he would only see icons on the stage select screen, but tons of in-depth info about the Tower of Smash mode.

No, but there's tons of other explanations. It's much more easily to remember a mode's name, then all 63-stages or whatever.

Not that I believe the leak, but there are a ton of explanations one could give for this

No, but there's tons of other explanations. It's much more easily to remember a mode's name, then all 63-stages or whatever.

Not that I believe the leak, but there are a ton of explanations one could give for this

More than just the mode's name though.
0uBu7MU.png

anyone up for a few matches?

Wrong thread.

Bump Onett down to Nuetral because it really doesn't prove anything. Saying that nearly half the stages will return and then getting two right proves nothing.
Smashville can stay though, that was an unexpected decision on both the faker leaker and Sakurai's part.

A correct guess is a correct guess, whether it's obvious or not.

Plus, the way the list is organized, it makes each section have 3 pieces of evidence.

If he gets more stages right, I'll get rid of Onett though.

anyone up for a few matches?

I'M NOT INTERESTED IN ANYTHING YOU'RE SELLING!

It's not really much of a stretch to think he only had a screenshot of the stage select screen to look at. He may have been given details on Tower of Smash, but just given a stage select screen since that really doesn't need explaining at all.

After all, when the 3DS version was leaked, all we got for stages was the stage select screen, and looking at that, we wouldn't know the official names of the maps.

The real text leak also had specific details on how Bowser Jr worked, but just a list for the rest of the characters.

ugoo18

And now I feel stupid. That makes a ton of sense.

You know a company or person (Depending on who wanted this) is too Japan focused when the idea of taking arguably their most popular home console multiplayer game and making it a handheld exclusive even crosses their mind.

Presumably he saw it in acton. Same logic applies: it's a lot easier to remember one mode than details on every stage.

(again, assuming it were real, which I don't think it is)

Details on every stage is one thing, but he specified that it was the Great Fox, which (presumably) the Orbital Gate stage spends not too much time on.
And if it was just him seeing a stage icon, then how did he know specifically that the Game & Watch stage was Green House? It's not exactly a household name.

A correct guess is a correct guess, whether it's obvious or not.

Plus, the way the list is organized, it makes each section have 3 pieces of evidence.

If he gets more stages right, I'll get rid of Onett though.
New Leak: literally every stage from every Smash Bros. game is coming back, and every single Nintendo game ever made will have a stage too.
Master Chief is DLC, and using the R.O.B. amiibo activates the robot takeover of the planet.

Now any stage announced will be a point in this leak's favor, and if part one is true, it's not too much of a stretch to say the second and third parts are true as well.

If you want to keep it neat, that's fine. I'm a lot like that myself.

Details on every stage is one thing, but he specified that it was the Great Fox, which (presumably) the Orbital Gate stage spends not too much time on.
And if it was just him seeing a stage icon, then how did he know specifically that the Game & Watch stage was Green House? It's not exactly a household name.

Maybe he knows what Game and Watch game it is? I mean, if I saw it, I'd recognize it. It's not really a crazy idea that a guy who would get a leak about Smash Bros would know a bit about Nintendo. It was featured in a Game and Watch gallery as well.

I don't really understand how recognizing where a somewhat obscure level is from is a negative to the leak.

So assuming we get Impa, Ridley, Chrous Men, Dixie Kong and Mewtwo in November, who do we still have left for the next Smash Bros?

I can think of:
Daisy (Mario)
Toad (Mario)
Shy Guy (Mario)
Magikoopa (Yoshi)
Ashely (Wario)
Cranky Kong (Donkey Kong)
Tetra (Zelda)
Toon Zelda (Zelda)
Groose (Zelda)
Adam Malkovich (Metroid)
Anthony Higgs (Metroid)
Rundas (Metroid)
Medusa (Kid Icarus)
Viridi (Kid Icarus)
Hades (Kid Icarus)
Chrom (Fire Emblem)
Waddle Dee (Kirby)
Doc Louis (Punch Out)
Krystal (Starfox)
Slippy (Starfox)
Wolf (Starfox)
New Pokémon (Pokémon)
Ice Climbers (Ice Climbers)
Mach Rider (Mach Rider)
Excite Bike (Excite Bike)
Tetris (Tetris)
Lucas (Earthbound)
Claus (Earthbound)
Samurai Goroh (F-Zero)
Isabelle (Animal Crossing)
Issac (Golden Sun)
Rayman (Rayman)
Squidgirl (Splatoon)

I bolded the ones that I think are likely. Isabelle is all but confirmed for the next game.

Maybe he knows what Game and Watch game it is? I mean, if I saw it, I'd recognize it. It's not really a crazy idea that a guy who would get a leak about Smash Bros would know a bit about Nintendo. It was featured in a Game and Watch gallery as well.

I don't really understand how recognizing where a somewhat obscure level is from is a negative to the leak.
It's not a negative point, it's just weird that he would see the Great Fox and assume that was the stage, but he'd recognize the Game & Watch stage.

fbb.png

So assuming we get Impa, Ridley, Chrous Men, Dixie Kong and Mewtwo in November, who do we still have left for the next Smash Bros?

I can think of:
Tetra (Zelda)
Toon Zelda (Zelda)
Groose (Zelda)
Chrom (Fire Emblem)
Tetris (Tetris)
Squidgirl (Splatoon)

I bolded the ones that I think are likely. Isabelle is all but confirmed for the next game.
Groose is more likely than Toon Zelda? Waaaaaaaat? Tingle isn't even on the list?
Chrom is likely, even though his time in the spotlight is probably over and Sakurai pretty much shot the idea down?
And how is Tetris not incredibly likely. I'd say it's a shoe-in, especially with a movie on the way.
/s

Squidgirl is actually called Inkling, for the record.

Cool list though, I like a lot of the characters.

- Rayman
- Ice Climbers
- Takamaru
- Captain Toad
- Inklings (is that their name?)
- *New Pokemon*
- Bandana Dee (the new WTF character)
- Virdi

Cut Characters
- Dark Pit
- Lucina
- Bowser Jr. (Don't know why, just have a hunch)
- Possibly Pac-Man, Mega Man, or Sonic (POSSIBLY)

Oh yeah, forgot the clones
uh, Chrom?

This is my guess, not a wishlist.

It's not a negative point, it's just weird that he would see the Great Fox and assume that was the stage, but he'd recognize the Game & Watch stage.

If he saw the stage icon was a picture of the Great Fox, how is that weird that call it the Great Fox? What did you want him to call it? Star Fox Assault Level?

For all we know the Game and Watch level could feature multiple games like the previous two Game and Watch levels, and Green House is only used on the icon.

Cut Characters

- Bowser Jr. (Don't know why, just have a hunch)

lol no, he's in this until the end. Cutting him is cutting 8 characters from the game.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Because the 3DS isn't meant to run something like smash. You have to cut corners here and there. Wether it be animation or ice climbers.
This statement can be applied to so much of the game.

Does anybody know how the teleporting items work in the Wii U version?

Erm what

it has nothing to do with 3DS's power, it's a design style they chose for 3DS/Wii U.

It's like you guys forget the PotD back they about certain characters retaining their "side" when they switch sides when facing left or right? You know, Mario, etc.

Considering how it actually puts more effort (having to add more model script), it isn't about "3DS is weak in power therefore we implement it". It's mainly mimicking how characters looked like in their original game (i.e. Mario has an ambidexterous sprite in his 2D games). Hence why weapon-swapping.

I'd add Dark Samus and Paper Mario

I think both have a good shot for Smash 5
I need this. The Assist Trophy is EXACTLY what she needs to play like as well. No Samus clone crap.

As much as I'd love to have both in, I think neither are too likely at this point.
Dark Samus especially; unless she gets another role in a future Metroid game, she probably won't be in. Being a Western-created character makes it especially difficult to be playable. Only Diddy has overcome that hurdle. Frigate Orpheon, Meta Ridley, and Dr. Wright also made it in, along with a handful of trophies and some alternate colors for Samus.
Paper Mario would be kickass (my most-wanted newcomer), but I think Doctor Mario is probably going to be the Mario to stay, unfortunately. We can still hope...

Erm what

it has nothing to do with 3DS's power, it's a design style they chose for 3DS/Wii U.

It's like you guys forget the PotD back they about certain characters retaining their "side" when they switch sides when facing left or right? You know, Mario, etc.

Considering how it actually puts more effort (having to add more model script), it isn't about "3DS is weak in power therefore we implement it". It's mainly mimicking how characters looked like in their original game (i.e. Mario has an ambidexterous sprite in his 2D games). Hence why weapon-swapping.
I remember that POTD, I'm just bothered by the teleportation.

Classic Ganon (Pig Form)
Takamaru
Golden Sun Rep (Isaac?)
Dark Samus
Cranky Kong
K. Rool
Captain N

Star Fox Rep representing Miyamoto's new game
New Pokemon Rep
New Fire Emblem Lord
Inkling

Forkball

#Believe:
- Smashville
- Gamer/ Game & Wario
- Onett
- No Event Mode (Disappointment = Truth)

#Bulls**t:
- Too Good to be True
- Too much info being given
- Impa
- "Great Fox" does not equal "Orbital Gate"
- Currently no sight of WiiU Magicant

#Neutral:
- If "Tower of Smash" is the new mode, Sakurai will/ would probably show it off soon, and advertise it like Smash Run.

Anyone got something to add?
I like how Impa is more unbelievable than Ridley.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Pokemon and Fire Emblem are "?" for the next game, really depends.

Will Lucario keep his position as a popular marketing Pokemon? Will Greninja stay popular, or fade out? And you know, we possibly have two generations between now and Smash 4. Or maybe even three, if Game Freak churns them out fast like they did Gen 4-Gen 6.

As for Fire Emblem, I think Ike might be out. Lucina I have a feeling will be a Lord in the next Fire Emblem. Maybe they're keep the My Unit in future games, and Robin will be replaced by the generic character in Fire Emblem 14, who might play just like him.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I remember that POTD, I'm just bothered by the teleportation.

It happens a lot with games that uses 3D models but uses the "ambidextrous" feel to mimic 2D sprites. MvC3 and TvC has that - Volnutt's buster and Spencer's bionic arm switches sides when they change facing. Though Doronjo (from TvC) has this near little quick animation where she switches her pipe from left hand to right when changing facing.

You could call it an effect of the design.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Classic Ganon (Pig Form)
Takamaru
Golden Sun Rep (Isaac?)
Dark Samus
Cranky Kong
K. Rool
Captain N

Star Fox Rep representing Miyamoto's new game
New Pokemon Rep
New Fire Emblem Lord
Inkling

You know, shame they've never given us a James Alt for Fox.

You know, just add the glasses, classic outfit. Simple.

ugoo18

I really hope the WiiU version actually has an intro video as all the past Smash games have had. SSB3DS feels dead when starting it up without that intro video.

Golnei

I really hope the WiiU version actually has an intro video as all the past Smash games have had. SSB3DS feels dead when starting it up without that intro video.

At the very least, they could have added a title call. Just seeing the title screen come up silently is awful.

As for Fire Emblem, I think Ike might be out. Lucina I have a feeling will be a Lord in the next Fire Emblem. Maybe they're keep the My Unit in future games, and Robin will be replaced by the generic character in Fire Emblem 14, who might play just like him.

I think Robin will be treated much like Olimar / Alph - the current character will be the default, with the new one an alt. Lucina I'm not sure about - seeing as she was intended to be an alt in the first place, she could be reabsorbed into Marth.

I need this. The Assist Trophy is EXACTLY what she needs to play like as well. No Samus clone crap.

Ideally, she'd be an identical clone of Samus, with the Assist Trophy remaining in the game to showcase the unique moves she could have had. Nobody wins.

Berordn

It seems like that's kind of intentional. On a portable you probably just want to pick up and play, and having to mash start through a million screens doesn't help you get into things quickly. That and it probably saves them a decent chunk of space.

Jezan

... I don't think anybody brought this up the last time we talked about it.

Damn...
I was checking the jewel colors, and the crown jewel is purple like WW's Zelda , but the necklace's are purple except for the one in the center which is red like aLttP's Zelda. So I'm gonna go with: that color is based on WW's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom