• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm not sure why smashville was considered a good guess on his part

i get that it seems a bit redundant with town & city, but if the goal was to give as many series as they could at least one returning stage, it's not like animal crossing had too many other options available

I feel like Sakurai knows about this leak, and I just having a blast releasing the pictures he has recently. Fake or not, Sakurai is doing the right thing.

i get that it seems a bit redundant with town & city, but if the goal was to give as many series as they could at least one returning stage, it's not like animal crossing had too many other options available
Every real leak has gone down like this. When the list came out, tons of people here said it was obviously fake because it had Onett and Town and City. Now both have been shown, and folks will say it is an easy guess.

The thing about the Tower of Smash leak is, how the hell did he guess Smashville? If I was making a well thought out, fake leak I sure as hell wouldn't have included it. And while Castle Siege, Onett , and to a lesser extent, the Game & Wario stages are pretty easy guesses, it's pretty weird that he got them all right alongside Smashville. So he's either stupidly lucky or legit.

by dumping a shit ton of returning stages? it's not that hard when you put down that many

Not

Banned
I'm really thinking we should wait and see how Sakurai reveals this stage before debunking the leak entirely

Yeah but the guy obviously put a lot of effort into that leak if it's a fake. If he wanted to be taken seriously why did overlook something so big and include Smashville? It's not like the rest of his stage list is anything as far out.

This. I can feel it in my bones.

Ridley pic tonight.

image.php

YEAH! My First Avatar Quote!

Yeah but the guy obviously put a lot of effort into that leak if it's a fake. If he wanted to be taken seriously why did overlook something so big and include Smashville? It's not like the rest of his stage list is anything as far out.

I don't know. An Endless Ocean stage and three Kirby stages is pretty far out.

Not to mention a Donkey Kong stage not set in a jungle...

What if the Tower of Smash is based on the Great Cave Offensive? Like an exclusive game mode based on something Sakurai did earlier in a Kirby game.

I feel like Sakurai knows about this leak, and I just having a blast releasing the pictures he has recently. Fake or not, Sakurai is doing the right thing.

Every real leak has gone down like this. When the list came out, tons of people here said it was obviously fake because it had Onett and Town and City. Now both have been shown, and folks will say it is an easy guess.

I always always hoping for Onett. :D

Simple question for everyone here:
What stage could Sakurai reveal that would convince you of the leak?

uhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Endless Ocean?

JazzmanZ

I'm not sure why Wii fit trainer was considered a good guess on Gematsus part.

I'm not sure why Mario's and Bowsers alt colors was considered a good guess on The Ninka leaks part.

Point is wait and see, I'm going down the path the dude saw the stage icons somewhere and mistook some of em. I mean the Orbital gate stage had the great fox in it's icon, he called it what he saw. See's the great cave stage icon had a castle, who's got a castle in kirby? dedede!

The Tower of Smash leak included like 40 stages

The chances of getting occasional right ones is almost higher than getting wrong ones.

He's got 4 of them right though. 2 of them were easy guesses, Game & Wario was pretty iffy but not shocking, and Smashville is just out there. Not saying the leak is confirmed, but the guy is either decently lucky or is a legit.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I mean the Orbital gate stage had the great fox in it's icon, he called it what he saw.
Don't use that stage in an argument for this leak. We all knew about this stage and the only thing we knew about it was it featured the Great Fox. If anything that detracts from the leak because the leaker made the same assumptions about the stage that many of us did when we saw the original PotD.

The thing about the Tower of Smash leak is, how the hell did he guess Smashville? If I was making a well thought out, fake leak I sure as hell wouldn't have included it. And while Castle Siege, Onett , and to a lesser extent, the Game & Wario stages are pretty easy guesses, it's pretty weird that he got them all right alongside Smashville. So he's either stupidly lucky or legit.
He guessed that almost half the stages from Brawl would be returning, then got one of the weirder ones right.
I don't know. An Endless Ocean stage and three Kirby stages is pretty far out.
Not to mention a Donkey Kong stage not set in a jungle...
And a Metroid stage that isn't a subterranean cavern that either flips or has changing levels of lava! What a ridiculous idea!
Simple question for everyone here:
What stage could Sakurai reveal that would convince you of the leak?
Nothing aside from solid confirmation would convince me the leak was real, but an Endless Ocean stage would make me incredibly nervous about the safety of my avatar.

Speaking of avatar safety:
image.php

YEAH! First Avatar Quote!
haha that new avatar
I hate everything.

Okrag

He's got 4 of them right though. 2 of them were easy guesses, Game & Wario was pretty iffy but not shocking, and Smashville is just out there. Not saying the leak is confirmed, but the guy is either decently lucky or is a legit.

We knew about Castle Siege before the leak. He guessed 2 returning stages and that a character we already knew was in the game would get a stage based on his most recent game.

Don't use that stage in an argument for this leak. We all knew about this stage and the only thing we knew about it was it featured the Great Fox. If anything that detracts from the leak because the leaker made the same assumptions about the stage that many of us did when we saw the original PotD.

people are going to ignore this and still use it as a point in favor though, just watch

He guessed that almost half the stages from Brawl would be returning, then got one of the weirder ones right.
True, but like you said it is one of the weirder ones. Point me to someone who actually thought Smashville would be returning before the leak came out. The only explanation I can think of is the guy got lazy and just copy and pasted a stage list from Brawl and didn't put much thought into the cuts. But that is pretty contradictory to how much effort he put into the rest of the leak.

Again I'm not saying the leak is 100% confirmed right now, but calling Smashville, along with the others, puts it at 50/50 for me.

i get that what i'm saying doesn't mean anything without proof that it wasn't such a far-out guess and comes off as no more sincere than trying to downplay guessing wii fit trainer. i'm not trying to argue that most people would've guessed the game would feature both town & city and smashville.

the deal is still that he gave every series with a playable character at least one returning stage, and following that self-imposed rule, smashville is the only option. (edit: barring sonic, upon further review. so every first party series, though i recognize that this weakens my point.)

that's just how i feel about it. it's possible my judgement is clouded, but i'd like to think i'm not being totally unreasonable.

Mariolee

45. About 10 more than the 3ds. Not unreasonably high, but still the highest in the series.

I would be OK with this, but if the 3DS can handle 35 stages I would think the Wii U would have around 50 stages, 10 or more of which were returning.

But what do I know, I'm just a miserable pile of bones.

We knew about Castle Siege before the leak. He guessed 2 returning stages and that a character we already knew was in the game would get a stage based on his most recent game.
Pretty sure the leak was before then.

Yeah this is why I'm still not fully convinced. That and not naming the Game & Wario stage, while giving full names for the rest, are solid negatives against this leak. Only explanation I can think of is, like someone said, he just saw the stage icons and made assumptions from there. Or he might have gotten his info second hand and something got lost along the way, that happens a lot with stuff like this.

What if the Tower of Smash is based on the Great Cave Offensive? Like an exclusive game mode based on something Sakurai did earlier in a Kirby game.

That's...That would actually make sense.
He did say "this stage has some rules that are rare in the Smash Bros. series".

I'm really starting to get tired of this leak.

jnWake

The floor and background looked like DKCR Golden Temple... I can't believe the first Minecart themed level will be a Kirby one haha. Unless it's a minigame?

BOARD THE MINECARTS AND RACE TO THE FINISH... Co-op?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Wario Ware and Flat Zone 2 being confirmed in the Wii U version would be the stages to make me more convinced by this leak simply because those are the two retro stages being shared between both versions. While shared stages isn't out of the question as we know, what are the chances he picked the two correct stages out of the 3DS' retro selection. Of course one could argue they were picking one stage per series and thus had no choice but to list those two.

EDIT: Oh wait, no Greenhill Zone. Well then, more credit to them being revealed.

Here's the difference between using "early information" for Gematsu and using it for Tower of Smash:
Gematsu got all but two of the predictions right (including Wii Fit Trainer), and one of the two he didn't turned out to be considered early on in development.
Tower of Smash has gotten two returning stages (when he guessed 15/39 would come back) and one new stage (which was under a generic name). Even if he got every one of the returning stages right, but everything else wrong, we should assume that he was just a lucky guesser.
Stages like Nintendo Land and Bowser's Castle are not hard to guess. A stage based on Game & Wario was not hard to guess.

Wario Ware and Flat Zone 2 being confirmed in the Wii U version would be the stages to make me more convinced by this leak simply because those are the two retro stages being shared between both versions. While shared stages isn't out of the question as we know, what are the chances he picked the two correct stages out of the 3DS' retro selection. Of course one could argue they were picking one stage per series and thus had no choice but to list those two.

Wario really needs a stage from Wario Land. His own series with 4+ games and it gets nothing in Smash. Hell they even removed the one move that was inspired from Wario Land and replaced it with some stupid punch.

I'm curious as to what the second Zelda stage is going to be.

Brawl got Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, and 3DS got Spirit Tracks and Ocarina of Time 3D, so the obvious choices are Skyward Sword and Wind Waker HD.

A cool choice for a new WW stage would be the arena from the final Ganondorf battle I think.

I'm personally hoping Tower of Smash is true, if only because out of all of the rumored DLC characters, only Impa seems remotely interesting whatsoever. (That's right, come at me nerds ᕦ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ᕤ)

Sadly, Great Cave Offensive is pretty much the final nail in the coffin. Well that, and the fact that it suffers from a good deal of "knowing way too much about the game" syndrome that most fake leakers tend to fall into, but still.
At the very least, you can hope for that screenshot being a sneak peek at an incredibly improved and overhauled stage builder, but that seems unlikely. And the fact that it's described as a "stage" means no, it's probably not just a Tower of Smash hub level. Unless we're using the term "stage" very liberally.

Mariolee

Here's the difference between using "early information" for Gematsu and using it for Tower of Smash:
Gematsu got all but two of the predictions right (including Wii Fit Trainer), and one of the two he didn't turned out to be considered early on in development.
Tower of Smash has gotten two returning stages (when he guessed 15/39 would come back) and one new stage (which was under a generic name). Even if he got every one of the returning stages right, but everything else wrong, we should assume that he was just a lucky guesser.
Stages like Nintendo Land and Bowser's Castle are not hard to guess. A stage based on Game & Wario was not hard to guess.

Gematsu leaker had a generic name for Greninja: XY Pokemon.

Brawl got Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, and 3DS got Spirit Tracks and Ocarina of Time 3D, so the obvious choices are Skyward Sword and Wind Waker HD.

A cool choice for a new WW stage would be the arena from the final Ganondorf battle I think.
Skyward Sword has already got it's stage revealed though

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Or, since there seems to be a love for flat retro stages this time round, make a stage based on aLttP with SNES graphics.

Scoop-Li

Wait a minute....Spainkiller's info is in regards to the 3DS version? In one of Spainkiller's older posts from Sept. 11, he mentions that Ridley could just be a stage hazard/boss. If that were the case, Pyrosphere is not on the 3DS version. If his source's info was from the 3DS version, how could Ridley be a stage hazard/boss in that version?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom