• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinsei

Banned
You'd almost fit in with FigureGAF with that purchasing power.

You look like the perfect victim for figureGAF.

That's what, about 280US$? And the 2nd wave makes another 180?

I think I would fit in. I almost bought a $400 life size Link statue + Master Sword and Hylian Shield. The only reason I didn't is because I'd have no where to put it.

Caladrius

I can't wait for the Friday picture.
God knows it'll probably the only good one this week.

I think I would fit in. I almost bought a $400 life size Link statue + Master Sword and Hylian Shield. The only reason I didn't is because I'd have no where to put it.

That actually sounds cheap for a 1:1 scale.

Either that or the price tags of First Four Figures' Nintendo sculpts has blinded me.

(And I say almost because you'd probably find most FigureGAF members' tastes repulsive.)

How long do you think it is before we get the Mario Kart 8 DLC? Sometime in early November I hope.

I'm a bit concerned about future Nintendo Directs - we haven't gotten any general ones in months, and big news like the Mario Kart 8 DLC and the Super Smash Bros. for Wii U release date have been revealed through press releases.

Caladrius

too lewd lol

Yep.

And only 3 of 'em post lewd dude figures.:V

How long do you think it is before we get the Mario Kart 8 DLC? Sometime in early November I hope.

I'm a bit concerned about future Nintendo Directs - we haven't gotten any general ones in months, and big news like the Mario Kart 8 DLC and the Super Smash Bros. for Wii U release date have been revealed through press releases.

I think Nintendo Directs not specific to a game are being phased out. It's a lot of resources to actually make them and they're probably finding that it doesn't justify the man hours to make them often.

I think Nintendo Directs not specific to a game are being phased out. It's a lot of resources to actually make them and they're probably finding that it doesn't justify the man hours to make them often.

That would be a bummer. Do you have anything that indicates this is the case?

Will we still get some kind of end-of-the-year Nintendo Direct special where they announce everything cool in the first half of 2015?

image.php

I ended up pre-ordering the controller bundle and every amiibo that will be available day 1. I would have also pre-ordered the wave 2 amiibos, but they didn't have them in their system yet.

I think I might have made a huge mistake.

Dude/Dudette, wait. I'm sure these things will be like Skylanders and Disney Infinity figures and have almost weekly sales somewhere for at least for buy 1 get 1 50% as well as buy 2 get 1 early next year. That's when you get them.

This isn't some Japanese preorder figure, it's sold in stores. Also there isn't any lock content like other toy games so there's no real gameplay benefit past one.

I'm a big figure collector as well as big buyer of Nintendo non-game merchandise and I plan to buy all of them (and I luckily could financially do so right now). But's it's just basically throwing away money you can easily save later. Until a sale like I mentioned happens I'm just sticking with the one Amiibo I get at launch, Samus (maybe Wii Fit Trainer too who knows).

I want to believe Nintendo is just holding back the information for a megaton direct

:/

To be perfectly fair, I would be pretty annoyed if we got a Direct that showed off some cool stuff along with eShop crap or stuff we already know about. No longer having them makes me appreciate them so much more, even if we do spend five minutes on two Free to Play games.

Megaton December Direct would be awesome, but I still hope they make one soon that gives us hype for the holiday season.

Anth0ny

I think I'm gonna cop a Marth amiibo on launch day just to test the thing out and see how it works.

Also, I want to show Nintendo that fire emblem sells!

Son Of D

It sounds ridiculous, but with Mac sucking in the air and Jigglypuff being 90% aerial game I was seriously wondering if she'd naturally become a counter to him.

Jiggs is a good match up for Mac. However you still need to be careful using her because of how light she is. That combined with Mac's fantastic launching power means that you have to really be careful not to get hit too much.

Today I'll be covering Pokemon!
I think that, if we do get new character DLC, a Hoenn Pokemon is likely. Actually, going into Smash 4, I thought either Blaziken or Gardevoir would be the Pokemon newcomer, since both got Mega Evolutions and were notable in some way to XY (Blaziken for the event, Gardevoir for being the Champion's ace). But with all the Hoenn starters getting Mega Evolutions, I think Sceptile has a very good chance at being DLC.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Yeah, I think so too...

He's not a Gen III Pokemon technically, but Gallade would be pretty neat since Gardevoir's a Pokeball.

Kinsei

Banned
Dude/Dudette, wait. I'm sure these things will be like Skylanders and Disney Infinity figures and have almost weekly sales somewhere for at least for buy 1 get 1 50% as well as buy 2 get 1 early next year. That's when you get them.

This isn't some Japanese preorder figure, it's sold in stores. Also there isn't any lock content like other toy games so there's no real gameplay benefit past one.

I'm a big figure collector as well as big buyer of Nintendo non-game merchandise and I plan to buy all of them (and I luckily could financially do so right now). But's it's just basically throwing away money you can easily save later. Until a sale like I mentioned happens I'm just sticking with the one Amiibo I get at launch, Samus (maybe Wii Fit Trainer too who knows).

I know they'll be like Skylanders, which is what worries me. Around here there are a bunch of Skylanders that are always sold out. The only ones you can consistently buy around here are some really crappy looking ones (IMO).

How quickly did it take for Marth/Wii Fit Trainer/Villager amiibo to get out of stock? I'm expecting Olimar to have a limited run too, so I need to know how much time I have once it's made available.

Jawmuncher

How quickly did it take for Marth/Wii Fit Trainer/Villager amiibo to get out of stock? I'm expecting Olimar to have a limited run too, so I need to know how much time I have once it's made available.

Im sure they will be at walmart just waiting for your purchases.
Looks like I will luck out in my area.
The Disney Infinity and Skylanders stuff NEVER sell ever.

I know they'll be like Skylanders, which is what worries me. Around here there are a bunch of Skylanders that are always sold out. The only ones you can consistently buy around here are some really crappy looking ones (IMO).

Oh, hmm. I'd don't know much about specific Skylanders or Infinity (I don't play either) so I only go by the sales that I constantly see in flyer.

Still as much as really want these to take off and be the next hot thing for Nintendo's sake, I can't see that happening when the Wii U has such a small in small install base and the figures have a very limited use in one game so far and don't aren't an unlock requirement like in other games.

I wouldn't worry about them selling out until the 3DS gains Amiibo support probably around March with the New 3DS. Mario Kart 8 and Toad should get it patched in and I could see Yoshi having it at launch.

I just don't feel they're going to become hard to find. At least you could avoid buying at launch the more popular ones like Mario, Pikachu, Link, etc. I feel Nintendo will be good about replenishing those. It's the less popular figures you have to worry about in my opinion.

Drago

After stewing on it for a while I'm probably gonna try to limit myself to 6-10 Amiibos at most. Yoshi, Villager, and Wario are all definite purchases, dunno who else I'd really want beyond those three though. There are a lot to choose from. x_x

Jawmuncher

These are the moments where I'm glad I'm not a big Nintendo plan. I don't see myself really buying a lot of amiibos for myself. Maybe 2 at most.

Will make easy gifts though.

Do you think Nintendo pressured Sakurai to make Dark Pit and Lucina as full characters because they wanted to sell Amiibos?

Just a thought, especially since a "dark and edgey" angel seems like it would sell well, along with Lucina, who's obviously popular.

Jawmuncher

Do you think Nintendo pressured Sakurai to make Dark Pit and Lucina as full characters because they wanted to sell Amiibos?

Just a thought, especially since a "dark and edgey" angel seems like it would sell well, along with Lucina, who's obviously popular.

Lucina maybe. Dark Pit is one hell of a stretch though for your theory.

Probably not, no.

Sakurai makes a 12 million selling game and has walked away because of how he was treated before. They probably said "Hey put in amiibo support" at the absolute fullest extent of demanding something.

The far more likely explanation is they had time to make two clones, so they made them.

Raw64life

Does playing online count towards the "play Smash for X hours" challenges? I've yet to even touch the online button in the main menu because I have no interest in trying to play the 3DS version competitively, but hell if I'm gonna play Smash against the computer for 50 hours.

He already is pretty easy to deal with on every stage that's not Final Destination, a version of Final Destination, or Battlefield.
Haha, too bad there's a major online mode that locks every single stage that isn't Final Destination or a skin thereof.

With the way clones were implemented into this game, I'm honestly baffled Alph is not his own character.
Would have been infinitely more interesting than a palette swap of Pit. Their situations should be switched. That also would have gotten us Alph with his proper proportions too, instead of the weird Olimar proportioned one we have now.

Wait, what? Characters are selling out in preorders a month before the amiibos even release?

With the way clones were implemented into this game, I'm honestly baffled Alph is not his own character.

Would have been infinitely more interesting than a palette swap of Pit. Their situations should be switched. That also would have gotten us Alph with his proper proportions too, instead of the weird Olimar proportioned one we have now.

I'm actually quite bothered by Alph's appearance in the game. Having him take up four of Olimar's eight colors really devalues Olimar as a character.
For the record, I really like Sakurai and the work he's done, but this is probably the thing that bothers me the most about this new game. One of the main reasons why I feel like costume DLC should happen is to restore balance - if Little Mac gets sixteen colors, characters with two alternate models should get the same.
Wait, what? Characters are selling out in preorders a month before the amiibos even release?

Yes, Marth, Wii Fit Trainer, and Villager all sold out because they didn't have as many made.

I can't be the only slightly bothered by the silent Olimar/Alph, right...?

Particularly Alph, since the crew was so chatty in Pikmin 3.

SmithnCo

I'm actually quite bothered by Alph's appearance in the game. Having him take up four of Olimar's eight colors really devalues Olimar as a character.

For the record, I really like Sakurai and the work he's done, but this is probably the thing that bothers me the most about this new game. One of the main reasons why I feel like costume DLC should happen is to restore balance - if Little Mac gets sixteen colors, characters with two alternate models should get the same.

Yes, Marth, Wii Fit Trainer, and Villager all sold out because they didn't have as many made.

Yeah, it's weird that Mac got a whole wireframe variation with 8 colors but nothing for Alph, overalls Wario, etc. Having less colors for them than Brawl stinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom