• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't be the only slightly bothered by the silent Olimar/Alph, right...?

Particularly Alph, since the crew was so chatty in Pikmin 3.

I always loved the way that words were inserted into their language:
"gibberishgibberish Pikmin gibberishgibberish Onion"

Olimar talks too.
In Pikmin 2 he was actually voiced by Totaka.

I guess this just highlights a whole bunch of voicing issues - Bowser doesn't get his distinct voice that he's had for quite some time.

Yeah, it's weird that Mac got a whole wireframe variation with 8 colors but nothing for Alph, overalls Wario, etc. Having less colors for them than Brawl stinks.

I would like DLC that brings in eight more colors for Wario's biker and classic designs, Olimar and Alph, and male and female variants for Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, and Robin.

Josh5890

For some reason, I'm starting to question purchasing the controller bundle. I'm not in love as much with the gamecube controller as some people are. Also, since the gamecube controller isn't going to work with any other games I don't want to invest in an adapter for one game. I'm thinking I'm going to just stick with the standard game.

Or change my mind at the last minute. I have 6 weeks after all.

Yeah, it's weird that Mac got a whole wireframe variation with 8 colors but nothing for Alph, overalls Wario, etc. Having less colors for them than Brawl stinks.

Well, it makes sense, because Mac's 8 wireframe colors all use preexisting textures from his non-wireframe palettes with a different skin texture, meaning no more work needs to be done, while additional colors for the other characters mean more textures need to be made.

Though, I mean, making new textures seems pretty trivial, but still. It's still lame.

Alph's reveal was weird too. Like they totally forgot that this entire other character existed. We didn't find out about it until the pre release demo, and the post of the day with him in it couldn't have been less vague, confusing and unenthusiastic.

Almost like they forgot he existed.

For some reason, I'm starting to question purchasing the controller bundle. I'm not in love as much with the gamecube controller as some people are. Also, since the gamecube controller isn't going to work with any other games I don't want to invest in an adapter for one game. I'm thinking I'm going to just stick with the standard game.

Or change my mind at the last minute. I have 6 weeks after all.

I actually went in to preorder it at gamestop today. The bundle was sold out, and it's sold out on gamestop's website (edit: checked other sites, amazon is sold out but best buy has the bundle in stock, but not available for pick up at my location D: Looks like I made the right choice going with gamestop) as well. I had to buy everything separately (surprisingly the gamecube controller still has the smash logo on it) but it came out to be about $10 more than the bundle.

Golnei

Almost like they forgot he existed.

At least that's a semi-valid reason for passing him up as a clone.

I always loved the way that words were inserted into their language:
"gibberishgibberish Pikmin gibberishgibberish Onion"

Olimar talks too.
In Pikmin 2 he was actually voiced by Totaka.

I guess this just highlights a whole bunch of voicing issues - Bowser doesn't get his distinct voice that he's had for quite some time.

I would have really liked to hear some voicework from the Pikmin characters. Unlike Villager and Megaman, it doesn't make much sense stylistically for them to be so silent.

Well, it makes sense, because Mac's 8 wireframe colors all use preexisting textures from his non-wireframe palettes with a different skin texture, meaning no more work needs to be done, while additional colors for the other characters mean more textures need to be made.

Though, I mean, making new textures seems pretty trivial, but still. It's still lame.

They would still have to be recompiled - though it's still not all that much work, it's not like editing colour values is all that strenuous either. If they were really that pressed for time, hopefully they'll rectify the error via patches.

Berordn

It sure is sounding a lot like the 3DS version was either rushed or gutted for DLC.

item frequency setting available now in the eshop for the low low price of $4.99

Gleethor

It sure is sounding a lot like the 3DS version was either rushed or gutted for DLC.

item frequency setting available now in the eshop for the low low price of $4.99

I really don't think they'd try and sell you a feature like that, characters and stages sure, but NIntendo has generally been pretty good with DLC.

Caladrius

I'm thinking it's more likely the former.

I really don't think they'd try and sell you a feature like that, characters and stages sure, but NIntendo has generally been pretty good with DLC.

There's a first time for everything, unfortunately, so there's always a chance.

Makai

The Flying Men that appear in the Magicant stage will ally with the first fighter that touches them. Watch out for their flying cross-chop attacks! They also accumulate damage, and a grave gets erected every time a Flying Man falls in battle. And of course, only up to five Flying Men can appear at a time.
Huh?

random25

It's 3DS limitations basically. I am not seeing the 3DS version to have an item frequency setting update in the near future since the potential of flooding the game with Pokemons or Assist Trophies can affect the smoothness of the game.

Berordn

there are only five flying men

only five

;-;

It's 3DS limitations basically. I am not seeing the 3DS version to have an item frequency setting update in the near future since the potential of flooding the game with Pokemons or Assist Trophies can affect the smoothness of the game.

A setting to lower the frequency of items shouldn't cause an issue, unless they're masking some other limitation by having all items spawn on their own rate. Pokeballs and Assist Trophies are hard coded to only every have spawn one at a time on the 3DS version and to prevent another from loading until the old one is cleared from memory. That's not something that would have to change with an item frequency toggle.

rekameohs

Banned
coin match hype

could "boss battle" be the long speculated playable boss mode, perhaps?

edit: No "Break the Targets" is interesting, though. I mean, obviously it's just leftover data so it's by no means all-inclusive in regards to what will be on the Wii U version, but... it's really the only omission that jumps out at me.

He already says "Break the Targets" in Smash Run, so they could just use that one for Wii U.

He already says "Break the Targets" in Smash Run, so they could just use that one for Wii U.

Are you sure? I just went through the Narration sounds and the closest thing was "Target Blast". I don't really recall much narration in Smash Run.

Couldn't 8 players just be from 8 man rotation mode?

It's possible, but between the data-mined 5-8P icons, little things like 8 colors per character, and... the general lameness of it simply being a rotation mode limited to only 8 players, I'm leaning towards it being simultaneous.

Jawmuncher

10301454_10152712950368279_7085882666151449468_n.jpg

Cartoon Network as DLC.
This has to be a hint.

random25

A setting to lower the frequency of items shouldn't cause an issue, unless they're masking some other limitation by having all items spawn on their own rate. Pokeballs and Assist Trophies are hard coded to only every have spawn one at a time on the 3DS version and to prevent another from loading until the old one is cleared from memory. That's not something that would have to change with an item frequency toggle.

Fair point. The item drop and appearance seems low already though, in my experience.

I imagine boss battle will be just like it was with Brawl: fighting bosses in a gauntlet similar to All-Star mode. It'll probably be enhanced variations of some of the stage bosses mixed with some classics like Master Hand, Giga Bowser, Crazy Hand, and the Brawl bosses.

Berordn

So the announcer saying "Special Smash" isn't actually hidden, you can hear it in sounds and more as announcer clip 83 on the NA version. All the other ones are, though.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So the announcer saying "Special Smash" isn't actually hidden, you can hear it in sounds and more as announcer clip 83 on the NA version. All the other ones are, though.

Doesn't he say Special Smash in Smash Run when you get one of those battles?

Hatchtag

Banned
Is it physically possible to pair 8 controllers to a Wii U? 4 pro controllers and 4 GC controllers? Would sell a lot of adapters that way.

Don't forget:
Gamepad
Wii Remotes and classic controllers, nunchucks, etc.
3DSes can be used as a controller.
Basically, getting 8 controllers won't be a problem.

Vyse24

4 fight on the TV while the other 4 use their 3DSes. The only thing I'm worrying is what if the only way to do 8-players smashes with a 3DS is by getting the New edition?

J@hranimo

Banned
Also we finally have a yellow team? Sure why not haha.

Maybe to go with that 8 Player Smash thing haha.

I'm just speculating, I have no idea what those two are about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom