• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe my post came across as too harsh. I'm still incredibly hyped for the Wii U version, I'm just slightly less hyped than I would have been had I not played the 3DS version to death first.

Slightly less than incredibly hyped is still really, really damn hyped. It's all relative. :p

JCX

Reasons why 3DS is killing my Wii U hype a bit

- fewer friends to play with: multiple people have told me they're getting the 3DS version instead, since it's cheaper overall for them.

- Already know much of the music and (likely) all of the characters

- Just playing what is at its core, the same game for almost 2 months before Wii U is out

- Doubtful any new singleplayer mode will hook me, since none of them have in the past. Smash is multiplayer.

Reasons to still have hype

- Better online features (being able to add people you've recently played with)

- The One True Control Method

- Large HD visuals

- Lagless local multiplayer

- Possibly new characters, although very unlikely

- If there are any secrets, I get to experience them first this time since it will be out in NA before other regions

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Maybe my post came across as too harsh. I'm still incredibly hyped for the Wii U version, I'm just slightly less hyped than I would have been had I not played the 3DS version to death first.

Slightly less than incredibly hyped is still really, really damn hyped. It's all relative. :p

Hahaha. Yeah, I kinda feel you in a sense.

I wouldn't be dying to get my hands on Smash U because Smash 3DS is my filling for 6 weeks so the time will fly by very fast.

If it wasn't for 3DS then we probably have OT22 by now. :p

Technically 3FS really soften the blow of waiting for most of us I guess?

emb

I don't think you're wrong about this at all. That's always been the worst part about having two versions. Even if the Wii U blows us away with single player modes, the most important part of the game is already mostly old news by the time we get it.

I still can't wait to get a GCN controller in my hands, but having two versions absolutely made both less hype to me than a single version would have been.

Even if the core gameplay is the same, I think being able to use an actual controller is going to make it seem like a completely new game. Plus, I can't wait to play multiplayer with my friends!

My brother and I are hyped for the Wii U version because it will be easier and better for local multiplayer

Some how we get lag on local wireless when sitting next to each other with no interference. I don't even know how that works.

JCX

My brother and I are hyped for the Wii U version because it will be easier and better for local multiplayer

Some how we get lag on local wireless when sitting next to each other with no interference. I don't even know how that works.

Yeah weirdly enough I had less lag playing over wifi with my brother than local wireless in the same house

If anything, 3DS version made me more excited for the Wii U. Knowing that the gameplay I enjoy, for the most part, will be available with an actual controller(s), beautiful graphics in full 60fps, and hopefully a better netcode is enough to get excited. Not to mention the new content that comes with it.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Even if the core gameplay is the same, I think being able to use an actual controller is going to make it seem like a completely new game. Plus, I can't wait to play multiplayer with my friends!

Yeah, I like the feel of the game well enough with some reservations (like not keeping momentum while jumping) but being able to actually control my character competently will make it so much better. Plus, actual multiplayer and not laggy online or just CPU matches!

-Horizon-

zlCfzShYIZMwk-LmWI

Pic of the day. The Flying Men that appear in the Magicant stage will ally with the first fighter that touches them. Watch out for their flying cross-chop attacks! They also accumulate damage, and a grave gets erected every time a Flying Man falls in battle. And of course, only up to five Flying Men can appear at a time.

I thought we already got this before :/

Espada

Smash Wii U graphics are going to look especially good after staring at the 3DS graphics for so long.

My goodness, I experience this every time I see a POTD from the Wii U version. The visuals coupled with the controller gameplay (ie: better controls) are making the wait hard as hell.

I wish companies wouldn't choose already busy release windows for their big games. We have enough coming in mid-November that it'd be better if this came in December.

I wish companies wouldn't choose already busy release windows for their big games. We have enough coming in mid-November that it'd be better if this came in December.

Eh there's not really much good coming out this year. Pokemon and Persona Q are about all I want other than Smash.

Should have enough time to play Pokemon due to Smash U being 2 weeks later for PAL, but Persona will be bought day 1 but not played until I'm done with Smash lol.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Lol I remember her being on your rosters and stuff but I don't remember you ever saying anything about her.

I don't even know if she's a game character or just anime.

She is from a Namco series called The iDOLM@STER, a rhythm and management sim game, and is seen as the main character in the series. While I knew Pac-Man was the obvious Namco rep of choice it was fun to push for a character most would not appreciate. However, I'd say after Pac-Man, it is currently one of Namco's biggest properties, but only in Japan. Also Harada of Tekken fame, who apparently helped a bit with Smash, is well known for being an iM@S fan, though his favourite character is another one of the idols, so that was another avenue for joke speculation.

I've never even played the games, only watched the TV adaptation. Which I should note is one of the better videogame to tv show adaptation out there simply because you don't even need to have played the games to enjoy it. But then again it's not hard to beat shows like the Super Mario Super Show and Donkey Kong Country. ;)

Jigolo

zlCfzShYIZMwk-LmWI

Pic of the day. The Flying Men that appear in the Magicant stage will ally with the first fighter that touches them. Watch out for their flying cross-chop attacks! They also accumulate damage, and a grave gets erected every time a Flying Man falls in battle. And of course, only up to five Flying Men can appear at a time.

url-21.gif

Give me some Wii U shots pls

emb

Hmmm, I could've sworn we've seen it in a POTD before though I might just be confusing all the Japanese gameplay in the past months before US release with it lol.
Nah. Ness is a secret character, this is the first time anyone's heard of him.

Though his page and a batch of pictures have been up on the Smashbros site for a few days. Might have been a Magicant shot in there.

I think one of the in game tips describes the 5 Flying Man limit.

-Horizon-

Nah. Ness is a secret character, this is the first time anyone's heard of him.

Though his page and a batch of pictures have been up on the Smashbros site for a few days. Might have been a Magicant shot in there.

I think one of the in game tips describes the 5 Flying Man limit.

That might've been it. I remember everyone freaking out about how there was such a good looking stage from Earthbound.

Eh there's not really much good coming out this year. Pokemon and Persona Q are about all I want other than Smash.

Should have enough time to play Pokemon due to Smash U being 2 weeks later for PAL, but Persona will be bought day 1 but not played until I'm done with Smash lol.

I'm interested in AC: Rogue, AC: Unity, Dragon Age: Inquisition and LittleBigPlanet 3 more than Smash. Pokemon, too, although that series needs a break.

emb

It's the first time we've seen it in a Pic of the Day though. I can't imagine you actually thought I didn't know the 3DS version was out already. Come on.
Now you're just trying to cover up the fact that you didn't know the 3DS version was out. Come on, you can't fool us that easily.

We literally don't have any information on singleplayer modes for the WiiU version. There's got to be some mode that sets both versions apart.

Looking at this, there definitely will be.

Assuming that this isn't a placeholder, Smash is Red, Online is orange, 3DS is light blue. I'm not sure about the rest. Challenges could be purple like in the 3DS version but the Amiibo screenshot from yesterday has a purple outline as well. I'm guessing the Smash Run of this game is the green or blue icon.

Dimmle

I am using an original 3DS, so the prospect of being able to see well is very exciting for me, hahaha.

And it would be nice to grip a controller that doesn't feel like it's made of sweat. That original 3DS gloss combined with Smash produces some disgustingly slippery results.

emb

lmao you guys
Are you suggesting that this is a joke? He obviously didn't know. Look at the evidence:
Plus, I can't wait to play multiplayer with my friends!
If he knew the 3DS version was out, he'd know he could play multiplayer with this friends.
Isn't this ghe first time we've seen Magicant?
If he knew the 3DS version was out, he would have already bought the game and seen Magicant before now.
I can't imagine you actually thought I didn't know the 3DS version was out already. Come on.
If he knew the 3DS version was out, he wouldn't be scrambling to hide his embarrassment after realizing his mistake. See how the picture gets painted like it would be ridiculous if he didn't know that? He's over explaining to make it look like he's in control of the situation.

We have clear quotations straight from the source. I don't know why you're trying to ignore the direct evidence.

SmithnCo

It's the first time we've seen it in a Pic of the Day though. I can't imagine you actually thought I didn't know the 3DS version was out already. Come on.

Yeah I mean seeing the stage in a POTD really sheds new light on it

Thank you based Sakurai for finally showing us magicant /bow /bow /swag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom