• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.
What stage is this?
screen-1.jpg

A really unflattering angle of Garden of Hope?

Actually, no it doesn't appear to be Garden of Hope, the sky is completely different.

Pyrokai

The closer we get to launch of the Wii U version, the more I feel like it's not going to have that much different content. I'm starting to think I should prepare for letdown, because with the exception of stages, I don't think there's going to be much of anything different. I will probably be paying $60 for essentially the same game :(

And what's worse is that I am regretting getting the 3DS version now because it has killed a lot of the excitement I would have experienced had I just gotten the Wii U version :(

I was previously expecting they would have something, anything at all, to hype up the Wii version--even holding onto hope for new characters that were DLC for 3DS--but I've list all that :(

Not really, I expected some shared trophies.
Trophies are pretty easy to make since you are just ripping off models.
I expect probably 300-400 exclusive trophies.

I feel like you're dreaming, lol. Or maybe I'm being super negative now :(

What stage is this?
http://www.smashbros.com/images/character/secret04/screen-1.jpg[IMG]

A really unflattering angle of Garden of Hope?

Actually, no it doesn't appear to be Garden of Hope, the sky is completely different.[/QUOTE]

It's part of Palutena's Temple, I'm sure, the little ferns and general scenery match up with some other pics of that stage.

Notably the right side of the stage with the grassy cave area.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
What the hell. I think this is the first time I've ever seen Palutena's Temple in full before.

That stage doesn't look remotely fun. What were they thinking?

It looks like a mini Smash Run area, and that's not a good thing.
Hopefully at least in the time since its reveal they've removed the jarring stage creator like elements of springs and spikes haphazardly thrown around like its Rumble Falls all over again.

Golnei

It's part of Palutena's Temple, I'm sure, the little ferns and general scenery match up with some other pics of that stage.

Notably the right side of the stage with the grassy cave area.

I had forgotten all about that area. It'll be interesting to see if playing on such a huge stage will be feasible at all - in modes other than 8-player Smash, of course.

What the hell. I think this is the first time I've ever seen Palutena's Temple in full before.

New_Pork_City1.jpg

We managed to make something bigger than Temple, but it's not too popular. What should we do? How about a stage three times larger?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Did you guys really expect them to create 600 brand new exclusive trophies for nearly the same game?
Put in a gamedisc, press import models, file->print, make a cup of tea, burn to Wii U. How hard can it be?

I look forward to Up Smashing you all into those spikes.

I feel like you're dreaming, lol. Or maybe I'm being super negative now :(
I am probably being positive, but I hope Wii U has more modes and trophies all around. I also hope the connectivity for 3DS to Wii U is good also. I hope the online is improved. This is the game carrying the Wii U around the holidays, so I feel they will put 100% effort into it.

vgamer1

Are you sure? I just went through the Narration sounds and the closest thing was "Target Blast". I don't really recall much narration in Smash Run.

It's possible, but between the data-mined 5-8P icons, little things like 8 colors per character, and... the general lameness of it simply being a rotation mode limited to only 8 players, I'm leaning towards it being simultaneous.

Yeah. He definitely says "Break the targets" during smash run.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
With one less platform at the top, and a drop down middle section that would provide for an interesting twist on a classic and balanced level.

Yeah, that would be a nifty stage on it's own. I'd play it. The massive stage that is like a combination of Temple and New Pork? Nope.

Man, I am dreading playing Classic and having a Kid Icarus character pop up on that stage.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

I ask myself this question about a lot of the 3ds stages. I'm really hoping these ones turn out better.

Masked Man

I said wow
Wow, Dark Pit looks great in HD! I feel like subtle differences to his character come a lot clearer in the Wii U version. Also, I know it was mentioned before, but I can't get over what a cool touch Little Mac's battle damage is. Those bruises...!

emb

I wish there was a stage like that top platform on the right half. Just one platform, not quite big enough for four people to all be on it at the same time. Would be amazing in free-for-all, items-on-high matches.

DrStiles

Wow, Dark Pit looks great in HD! I feel like subtle differences to his character come a lot clearer in the Wii U version. Also, I know it was mentioned before, but I can't get over what a cool touch Little Mac's battle damage is. Those bruises...!

Dark Pit does look a lot better in HD than he does on the 3DS. Now I just wish he had some more different move properties than he currently does.

I'm willing to give Palutena's Temple a go before writing it off.

The main problems with New Pork were how small and awkwardly placed the individual platforms were, and how zoomed out the camera was at all times.

If the camera properly zooms in on the action it should be fine to fight on.

flohen95

I'm just grateful we got Live and Learn over anything from Sonic Heroes and beyond.

Maybe Sega has a tight leash over music arrangements and the like...?

Ah, come on man, Sonic music has almost always been great, even in Sonic Heroes and Sonic 2006. Shadow the Hedgehog is debateable because most of its songs blend together, but it gave me Never Turn Back so I'm good with it.

Sonic Heroes Theme > live and learn

Forever and for always.

Even if the game sucked that song was great.

On the other hand, Sonic Heroes is probably the worst song Crush 40 have ever played. Still not near the worst song ever or anything, just really bad compared to Jun and Johnny's other material. I blame it on the game's direction. At least we got What I'm Made Of out of it. That song is amazing, not even only for gaming standards. The live version of that... holy shit. So good.

Pyrokai

I am probably being positive, but I hope Wii U has more modes and trophies all around. I also hope the connectivity for 3DS to Wii U is good also. I hope the online is improved. This is the game carrying the Wii U around the holidays, so I feel they will put 100% effort into it.

See, I've been thinking the opposite and thinking that no matter how much effort they put into it, it still won't blow up Wii U sales, so they probably did the minimum in a lot of instances :(

JCX

People really seem to like Hyrule Temple and similarly huge stages. They just make matches take too long.

I had forgotten all about that area. It'll be interesting to see if playing on such a huge stage will be feasible at all - in modes other than 8-player Smash, of course.

New_Pork_City1.jpg

We managed to make something bigger than Temple, but it's not too popular. What should we do? How about a stage three times larger?

The problem with New Pork City wasn't the size, methinks, but the open space and the lack of decent spots to fight.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
The problem with New Pork City wasn't the size, methinks, but the open space and the lack of decent spots to fight.

Size is a problem because it makes KOing a pain. But New Pork also lacked good places to fight, and the couple it did have were messed up by the fact the Chimera would spawn in those places.

Kinsei

Banned
The trophy shop looks beautiful. I love how you can see banners for the different series in the background. It's a nice little touch, even though it looks like Elecman is in the F-Zero section for some reason.

I want one of the Ness statues that are in the background.

Temple is the only true large stage.

Temple better return or I'm raging.

Temple's music is in the 3DS version and it's Temple, so it has to and will return.

It's probably the most iconic level from Melee. I'd be very surprised if there's a future Smash game that doesn't include it. It's like a stage on the Great Fox. It's just a part of Smash.

emb

Do you guys think the colors on the trophy boxes means anything?

I was thinking it would be series, but Kirby and WFT (also Ganon and Bulbear) have the same color. Could be rarity. Probably just whatever color they think looks good.

K-A-Deman

Ah yea,

That platform on the middle right matches exactly

Man that sucker's HUGE. Kinda makes me wish we could set up a custom perimeter so you can play the level on a more manageable scale.

Put in a gamedisc, press import models, file->print, make a cup of tea, burn to Wii U. How hard can it be?

I look forward to Up Smashing you all into those spikes.

I'd imagine there's a tad bit more work into it then that...

Something I've been wondering about DLC characters

When Smash 5 rolls around, how will Smash 4 DLC characters be treated? Will they be defaults? Unlocks? DLC again? How will they be revealed? Like any other vet? Will they even have a chance to be in the roster?

emb

I'd imagine there's a tad bit more work into it then that...
Not sure what you know about Japanese game development (I'm an expert), but by now it's probably even simpler than that. Workflows are streamlined and tools are developed early in the process, so at this point it's probably all automatic. It'd be trivial to set it up so that typing the name of a character or concept from a Nintendo game would find a model and generate some text. Of course, the text sometimes needs to be cleaned up, but it's not that hard.

When Smash 5 rolls around, how will Smash 4 DLC characters be treated? Will they be defaults? Unlocks? DLC again? How will they be revealed? Like any other vet? Will they even have a chance to be in the roster?

I'd imagine they'll just be treated like any other character. They'll have the assets ready to port over when they're deciding on the roster and everything.

Hatchtag

Banned

Smash 5 will probably have the most cuts of the series, just like 4 does now.

Golnei

There's almost no chance it doesn't return. It and Corneria are the GOAT stages.
Sadly, the best stage returning probably means Temple 64 and Pirate Ship won't come back :(.

The best-case scenario is that Temple returns unchanged, and Pirate Ship comes back with a bloom-laden makeover as Pirate Ship 2; in the style of Flat Zone and Pictochat. Although there's almost no chance of it happening, I'll hold onto that irrational hope until the day it's inevitably extinguished.

Its like I'm actually at a store ;~;

It really nails the look, it's probably the best menu you could ask for. Though I kind of want to see randomly chosen fighters browsing the shelves in the background.

It depends on how Nintendo wants to handle it. If they are like Capcom, they will still be DLC. If they are like ArcSys, they will become part of the default roster.

zroid

Banned
zlCfzShjqXk4HEEszk

Pic of the day. Here's the Trophy Shop for the Wii U version. It operates identically to the 3DS version, but it sure has a different feel, doesn't it?

I wonder if when you buy something, the box opens and the trophy is removed. Probably too much effort in terms of animation, but it would be cool.

Smash 5 will probably have the most cuts of the series, just like 4 does now.

But 4 of the 6 cuts in Smash 4 had either technical (Pokemon Trainer, Ice Climbers) or obvious (Snake) reasons to be cut, leaving only 2 "we ran out of time!" cuts. Other than Pichu, every one of Brawl's cuts was budget/time related, so the cuts are a little different.

The only characters I can conceivable see being cut from Smash 4 for 5 are Lucina and Dark Pit. And I don't even think Lucina will be cut. And obviously Ice Climbers will be back for 5.

Some DLC will make the default roster just like some of the default roster will be cut for 5.

I can't see them releasing a brand new game with at least 60 (they'll be at least 8 newcomers) characters out of the gate. It's why I hope they keep using the Wii U version as a base and build of that with better textures, effects and resolution. I'll happily sacrifice cutting-edge graphics for a much bigger roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom