• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azure J

It really nails the look, it's probably the best menu you could ask for. Though I kind of want to see randomly chosen fighters browsing the shelves in the background.

Stuff like this would make for the best little touches in the series ever.

It also reminds me of how much I want a Smash anime.

Popnbake

The closer we get to launch of the Wii U version, the more I feel like it's not going to have that much different content. I'm starting to think I should prepare for letdown, because with the exception of stages, I don't think there's going to be much of anything different. I will probably be paying $60 for essentially the same game :(

And what's worse is that I am regretting getting the 3DS version now because it has killed a lot of the excitement I would have experienced had I just gotten the Wii U version :(

I was previously expecting they would have something, anything at all, to hype up the Wii version--even holding onto hope for new characters that were DLC for 3DS--but I've list all that :(

I feel like you're dreaming, lol. Or maybe I'm being super negative now :(

Well Sakurai has had that in mind when developing both versions of Smash from his interviews.

You shouldn't let that possibility get you down when looking forward to Smash Wii U.

I could see that.

I hope Dr. Mario gets cut again and then comes back in Smash 6.

Doc was planned for Brawl and was only cut because of Sonic, he managed to make it back this time around, I think he'll be around forever. He's different enough from Mario, and they could further de-clone him in the next game like they did for Falco/Ganondorf/YoungToon Link.

It doesn't even say Dark Pit is a newcomer on the site haha.

No new comers say they're new comers anymore. They changed the site layout up a bit.

What the hell. I think this is the first time I've ever seen Palutena's Temple in full before.

That stage doesn't look remotely fun. What were they thinking?

"Hey, we've got this asset we made for Smash Run, but it didn't get included. What do we do with it?

"Make it a stage!"

"Okay, it's enough material for about 5 stages..."

"No time. Just make it one!"

Doc was planned for Brawl and was only cut because of Sonic, he managed to make it back this time around, I think he'll be around forever. He's different enough from Mario, and they could further de-clone him in the next game like they did for Falco/Ganondorf/YoungToon Link.

No new comers say they're new comers anymore. They changed the site layout up a bit.
It says they're newcomers both on the main page and on their personal character pages lol, just like as before.

Pociask

You had your chance.

legend-of-zelda-wind-waker-ganondorf-figure.jpg

My God! It's full of stars! Where do you get one of those?

The closer we get to launch of the Wii U version, the more I feel like it's not going to have that much different content. I'm starting to think I should prepare for letdown, because with the exception of stages, I don't think there's going to be much of anything different. I will probably be paying $60 for essentially the same game :(

And what's worse is that I am regretting getting the 3DS version now because it has killed a lot of the excitement I would have experienced had I just gotten the Wii U version :(

I was previously expecting they would have something, anything at all, to hype up the Wii version--even holding onto hope for new characters that were DLC for 3DS--but I've list all that :(

Well...

- Different stages
- HD Graphics
- Better controls (lord knows that's necessary)
- Trickier challenges
- Amiibo support (until New 3DS gets that, but)
- More diverse selection of music
- Better online capabilities

Then there's the possibility of a tournament mode.

Looks more like a remaster/remake than a whole new game, I know, but there's something that (as fun as it is) is just... off about Smash on a 3DS.

EDIT:
Something I've been wondering about DLC characters

When Smash 5 rolls around, how will Smash 4 DLC characters be treated? Will they be defaults? Unlocks? DLC again? How will they be revealed? Like any other vet? Will they even have a chance to be in the roster?

Why are we expecting DLC characters, again?

Azure J

Long fights are fun, but not when they are caused by the tunnel of invulnerability in Hyrule Temple.

Maybe it's because I come from a "Bob-ombs Only/Bumpers Only/Red Shells Only, Fox Only, Hyrule Castle" Smash 64 background, but that's the best part of the Temple stage. Seeing the wild ass hitstun/knockback angles that would be generated and the damage percents get wild never gets old for me. :lol

JCX

Maybe it's because I come from a "Bob-ombs Only/Bumpers Only/Red Shells Only, Fox Only, Hyrule Castle" Smash 64 background, but that's the best part of the Temple stage. Seeing the wild ass hitstun/knockback angles that would be generated and the damage percents get wild never gets old for me. :lol

Those settings sound terrifying. My only weird settings were Pikachu Vs Jigglypuff, 99 stock, pokeballs on high in Saffron City. Being a kid at the time we actually finished the whole thing once.

Those settings sound terrifying. My only weird settings were Pikachu Vs Jigglypuff, 99 stock, pokeballs on high in Saffron City. Being a kid at the time we actually finished the whole thing once.

Only weird settings we used were where my friends and I would all play as the same character, once for every character. So for Melee, we played 25 matches as the same character as each other, Brawl was 35, etc. Counted a square on the CSS as a "character."

My longest legit match was in Melee, 32 stock, Marth (My friend) vs Link (Me). No items, FD. I think he won with 2 stocks.

deleted

Things we can expect from Smash 4 Wii U:

-Better Online mode
-HD graphics
-more music
-an intro
-maybe different items?!
-other modes
-the teased boss fights against different Nintendo villains
-controller support
-amiibos

Sounds good enough to buy it again I guess. And that one will be played for ages! The 3DS one will most probably die for me the second I have every move unlocked and I have the Wii U version for online and couch play.

ugoo18

Well...

- Different stages
- HD Graphics
- Better controls (lord knows that's necessary)
- Trickier challenges
- Amiibo support (until New 3DS gets that, but)
- More diverse selection of music
- Better online capabilities

Then there's the possibility of a tournament mode.

Looks more like a remaster/remake than a whole new game, I know, but there's something that (as fun as it is) is just... off about Smash on a 3DS.

EDIT:

Why are we expecting DLC characters, again?

Speaking of challenges i am not looking forward to having to redo all the complete x mode with everyone challenges or the inevitable defeat x amount of enemies in x mode.

Azure J

screen-2.jpg

I need an Uprising sequel on the Wii U right now.

I've been asking for this for so long now. Kid Icarus is legit and should get a console game sooner rather than later especially since it'd probably do wonders for the third person shooter segments both in scope and design.

Berordn

screen-5.jpg

this is the best thing ever. just everything about this picture is almost perfect, but unfortunately they're using the wrong WFT.

J@hranimo

Banned
Oh so Dr. Mario and Dark Pit get down immediately after I went to sleep, ok :p

They look great! I wanna see Ganondorf next.

screen-2.jpg

I need an Uprising sequel on the Wii U right now.

I've been asking for this for so long now. Kid Icarus is legit and should get a console game sooner rather than later especially since it'd probably do wonders for the third person shooter segments both in scope and design.

I keep hoping that the rumored "Wii U remastered game" will be Kid Icarus Uprising HD.

Golnei

The improved control scheme alone would justify any sequel or remaster. Sin & Punishment was such a great fit with the Wiimote aiming - it'd be absolutely perfect for Uprising as well. The ground controls would need a little reconceptualisation, but I'm fairly sure they'd still be made much stronger through the move to a different setup.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Has there been anything mentioned about an international demo released on November 21? It'd be nice for those not in USA to experience the game too at that date.

Berordn

The improved control scheme alone would justify any sequel or remaster. Sin & Punishment was such a great fit with the Wiimote aiming - it'd be absolutely perfect for Uprising as well. The ground controls would need a little reconceptualisation, but I'm fairly sure they'd still be made much stronger through the move to a different setup.

I don't think much would need to change if they took the ground controls and just replaced the touch screen with a motion cursor. Then they could port the touch screen controls over as well and have that as an option on the gamepad!

Everyone wins, except for the fact that we're never getting a sequel to KI:U.

emb

Kid Icarus on 3DS was seriously a disappointment after having played Sin & Punishment. The controls could have been so much better if KI:U had been on the Wii. And the ground controls would have probably been better that way too.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Dark Pit and Doctor Mario look fantastic in HD.

zlCfzShjqXk4HEEszk

Pic of the day. Here's the Trophy Shop for the Wii U version. It operates identically to the 3DS version, but it sure has a different feel, doesn't it?

Yeah, It look great.

There is something that got my attention. Who is that lady in pink dress with black hairs. (It's a trophy in background, it's on right aisle.)

Golnei

The game sold over a million units. The only reason it wouldn't happen is if Sakurai doesn't want to do it.

That seems to be the case; at least going by the interviews where he states that further KI games would lose the 'novelty' of Uprising, and that he has no desire to do a sequel but expect someone else to make one in 25 years. And unlike Smash Bros., Kid Icarus is probably not a series with the tremendous amount of power required to reverse his convictions on sequels.

Hopefully a continuation of some sort ends up being made; even if it goes ahead without Sakurai's involvement, there's a chance it could lean more towards Dark Moon, Triple Deluxe and Punch-Out Wii in quality, rather than Yoshi's New Island and everything that carried the Starfox name after 1997.

Hopefully a continuation of some sort ends up being made; even if it goes ahead without Sakurai's involvement, there's a chance it could lean more towards Dark Moon, Triple Deluxe and Punch-Out Wii in quality, rather than Yoshi's New Island and everything that carried the Starfox name after 1997.

So what you're saying is that Next Level Games should make the next Kid Icarus?

Jigolo

Dark Pit is also up.

I love this pic!

mJQE8r5.jpg

Captain Falcon: Dr. Mario. He needs help! Fast!
Little Mac: Ughhhhhhh....
Dr. Mario with a smug look on his face: I would, but my pills are all too pretty for him. I mean, look at this magnificent capsule...

haha Dr. Mario killing it in all these photos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom