• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiktion

Banned
A 2012 article about an article which doesn't provide any actual proof. If Nintendo owned the IP why would they allow PSN releases of Fatal Frame 1-3?
They're said to co-own it, so Tecmo presumably has some say. The way I understood it was that Nintendo has the rights to 4 and anything that comes after that.

Microsoft let Minecraft release on Vita. It's a confusing world we live in.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
A 2012 article about an article which doesn't provide any actual proof. If Nintendo owned the IP why would they allow PSN releases of Fatal Frame 1-3?
If they only co-own it they may not have much say in what happens to older entries only entries going forward, or perhaps making a bit of money from PSN sales is better than making no money whatsoever from preventing sales on PSN.

The only time Nintendo has allegedly prevented the sale of an IP is GoldenEye on the 360, but the reported conditions were the Wii could have the N64 version while the 360 could have the HD online remake that wouldn't net them any income. It's not surprising they didn't accept that offer.

Semajer

They're said to co-own it, so Tecmo presumably has some say. The way I understood it was that Nintendo has the rights to 4 and anything that comes after that.

Microsoft let Minecraft release on Vita. It's a confusing world we live in.
If they only co-own it they may not have much say in what happens to older entries only entries going forward, or perhaps making a bit of money from PSN sales is better than making no money whatsoever from preventing sales on PSN.

The only time Nintendo has allegedly prevented the sale of an IP is GoldenEye on the 360, but the reported conditions were the Wii could have the N64 version while the 360 could have the HD online remake that wouldn't net them any income. It's not surprising they didn't accept that offer.

I don't see where this idea of co-ownership came from. The Relyonhorror article says that they co-own the IP because of the copywrite information in the recent Fatal Frame game trailers, but by that logic they also co-own the Bayonetta IP, which we know they don't.

AdanVC

Ahhhh Smash Wii U is looking more and more awesome as we approach release date! Awesome pic and mode. It's so cool to see more and more 3rd party characters in Smash, even if they are in trophy shape.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Ahhhh Smash Wii U is looking more and more awesome as we approach release date! Awesome pic and mode. It's so cool to see more and more 3rd party characters in Smash, even if they are in trophy shape.
But Zael isn't third party.

Fiktion

Banned
I don't see where this idea of co-ownership came from. The Relyonhorror article says that they co-own the IP because of the copywrite information in the recent Fatal Frame game trailers, but by that logic they also co-own the Bayonetta IP, which we know they don't.
Bayonetta is actually a good comparison; they don't own the IP at large, but they have exclusive rights to 2. I've read often that with Fatal Frame those rights extend to any future installments, and we're seeing that borne out with 5. It's likely that Tecmo doesn't think the franchise can remain viable without first party support.

Semajer

Bayonetta is actually a good comparison; they don't own the IP at large, but they have exclusive rights to 2. I've read often that with Fatal Frame those rights extend to any future installments, and we're seeing that borne out with 5. It's likely that Tecmo doesn't think the franchise can remain viable without first party support.

I think it's just that Nintendo is happy with funding Fatal Frame games to give them an exclusive horror series and Tecmo wouldn't bother with expensive HD development of such a niche series without Nintendo's funding. I don't know if they have a contract for future games or the series in general, I've never heard of such a contract at least. But I'm certain that the IP is only owned by Tecmo. Plus Aquamarine agrees, and she seems to know her stuff:

Let me clear some things up.

1. The trademarks "Fatal Frame" and "Project Zero" are owned by TECMO KOEI GAMES CO., LTD.

2. Both Fatal Frame 4 and Project Zero 2: Wii Edition have joint copyright with TECMO KOEI GAMES and Nintendo.

3. All legacy IPs in the Fatal Frame franchise (Fatal Frame, Fatal Frame 2, etc.) are exclusively owned by TECMO KOEI GAMES CO., LTD.

4. There is absolutely no evidence, from Tecmo Koei financials, about the sale (or partial sale) of Fatal Frame assets.

5. There are, however, references to "joint Fatal Frame projects" that Tecmo Koei Games decided to do with Nintendo as the result of a co-development deal, including Fatal Frame 4, Spirit Camera, and Project Zero 2: Wii Edition.

Conclusion:

I have found nothing thus far to indicate that Nintendo co-owns any share of the Fatal Frame IP.

What Dantis believes is true---Nintendo only owns joint copyright with the projects they funded and collaborated with Tecmo Koei.

I wonder if that Fatal Frame trophy is the only one in the game.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
But didn't The Last Story get published by Xseed in America? Why didn't Nintendo publish it if they own it?
Atlus published Cubivore in the Americas. It's still a Nintendo IP.

As for this Fatal Frame issue, I believe it comes down to what people think "co-own" means. Having the rights to the games they co-developed to some may mean they co-own the IP because they do co-own parts of it but not all. Others would disagree with that definition.

Neat pic of the day! The Photo Studio is going to be fun; I can't wait to see the crazy shit people come up with on Miiverse.

I feel like we're very close to a Direct announcement/information blowout. I hope so!

ugoo18

It's a brave new world where Fatal Frame is eligible for a playable rep.

Miu for Smaaaaaaaash!

Makes sense after all in terms of roster choices who is really left that could join and has the same larger than life nature as some of the characters already in SSB..

All of Nintendo's biggest characters are already there, the most iconic 3rd party characters are already there. So it's about time the new kids on the block start joining their illustrious elders.

Dr. Buni

Wasn't there a rule against creepy commentaries in Smash threads?

Anyways, a playable Fatal Frame character should totally be from Fatal Frame 2 (aka one of the two girls in the potd :p).

Happy to see this back since it was fun to play around with in Brawl. Looks like there's a lot more freedom with where you can place them now since the Superspicy curry is floating.

Golnei

Intelligent Systems needs to make a Paper Ice Climbers game first.
games_paperIceClimbers2.png

They really fit the style well. If only they had a chance to be part of just one game in those designs before their passing...

Zael fans BTFO

We get a Last Story trophy, but nothing from Golden Sun...

It's only to be expected - The Last Story has easily rippable models, while Golden Sun's only ever had sprites. It'd be different if there was already anything from the series modeled and animated for previous Smash Bros. games, but sadly that's not the case.

It's only to be expected - The Last Story has easily rippable models, while Golden Sun's only ever had sprites. It'd be different if there was already anything from the series modeled and animated for previous Smash Bros. games, but sadly that's not the case.

Uhm.
Isaac.png

Son Of D

If anything she'd have got the Tharja treatment.

Doubt it. Bayonetta's design isn't as revealing as Tharja's design. If anything her design is more comparable to Zero Suit Samus. If she does get a trophy it won't be her mid hair summon, it'll likely just be a regular pose in her normal attire.

They're being fairly liberal with Namco stuff, so getting some Baten Kaitos or Xenosaga trophies wouldn't be inconceivable. Though it still isn't all that likely, of course.

I would be so incredibly down with some Xenosaga trophies. Xenosaga Episode III is one of my favorite RPGs of all time. To see it represented in Smash through a trophy or two would be really, really cool.

KOS-MOS would also make a badass Assist Trophy, just saying.

Does anyone else think it would be very strange for Sakurai's team to have made many new models for trophies for the Wii U release, but not a single additional character?

Akai

Does anyone else think it would be very strange for Sakurai's team to have made many new models for trophies for the Wii U release, but not a single additional character?

There's a huge difference between importing/making some static models and creating characters with animations and move sets, not to mention balancing issues to deal with...

That and the parity issue, of course...

There's a huge difference between importing/making some static models and creating characters with animations and move sets, not to mention balancing issues to deal with...

That and the parity issue, of course...
Sure, but if we have something like 200 new trophies, surely that would be on par, work-wise, with a handful of new characters. I'm presuming that they would be released for the 3DS as well.

georly

Anyone wanna take a guess at the trophy number on Wii U?

3DS had nearly 700, right? Wii U has to have a ton more, i'd imagine, simply because they can be ripped from Wii/GC and upscaled/uprezzed.

I'm gonna say over 1000.

Durden77

Anyone wanna take a guess at the trophy number on Wii U?

3DS had nearly 700, right? Wii U has to have a ton more, i'd imagine, simply because they can be ripped from Wii/GC and upscaled/uprezzed.

I'm gonna say over 1000.

Eh, would be amazing but I'm not getting my hopes that high. I'm saying 850 tops.

Prisoner

Anyone one else hate trophies that are just ripped from other games? On Melee everything was made from scratch. On 3DS it seems to be a case of quantity over quality.

darkmagus

zlCfzSjYaQ4vLjDlGZ

Zael from The Last Story grabs some Superspicy Curry from Master Hand. "No…! You mustn't let that curry lure you in…!!" In the Wii U version, you can take photos of dream collaborations and funny situations with your trophies in the Photo Studio.

while i not used that feature, is cool is back. nice to see The last story got noticed.

georly

Now we need more info of this. Really curious as to how the board game will work (ala Mario Party perhaps?)

Mario Party + Smash = 2x the salt!

Hopefully it's traditional mario party but instead of minigames it's similar to the 1-2 minute matches smash run had. Race/climb/vs enemies might be impossible without splitting the screen (which is why they were on smash run), but the 'special' fights (metal, giant, etc) might work. Instead of coins/stars, you can accumulate stat bonuses similar to smash run. Landing on certain spaces will give you + or - to certain stats, etc. Winning a minigame will give you even more (stat bonus chosen by roulette maybe?).

Exciting.

kimtish

Neo Member
So friggen hyped for stage builder right now.
What're the odds of custom music?

Also, I'm overnighting a WiiU from Nintendo's refurb program. I want to play it with my SO this weekend.

How many of you have had dealings with Nintedo's shipping in the past? I've gotten "overnight" from quite a few people and it tends to mean 3 or 4 days later.

SaberVulcan

So I'm overnighting a WiiU from Nintendo's refurb program. I want to play it with my SO this weekend.

How many of you have had dealings with Nintedo's shipping in the past? I've gotten "overnight" from quite a few people and it tends to mean 3 or 4 days later.

Never ordered directly from Nintendo, but take "overnight" with a grain of salt when ordering on a Friday. Ive had many times ordering on Thursday or Friday with 1-2 day shipping, and the weekend not calculating into the companies delivery schedule.

Godspeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom