• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.
So with events and the stage builder back, plus this new Smash World board game mode, is anyone still super pessimistic this game won't have way more content than Brawl?

Because if you are, you're a silly person. Your fears should be alleviated

This also entirely kills tower of smash and more or less kills the Smash World leaks.

Sure, but if we have something like 200 new trophies, surely that would be on par, work-wise, with a handful of new characters. I'm presuming that they would be released for the 3DS as well.
I wouldn't say a "handful," maybe just one clone?
Amazon just confirmed Stage Builder and Game Board Mode (more likely to be Smash World) along with little more description for Master/Crazy Orders.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=134744953
Well, surprise ruined. At least we'll actually see it in the Nintendo Direct soon.
He has a point. Nintendo has a monopoly on Super Smash Bros. and everyone knows that intellectual property is just a made up term used by smug game developers who hate sharing.

Amazon just confirmed Stage Builder and Game Board Mode (more likely to be Smash World) along with little more description for Master/Crazy Orders.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=134744953

Leave it to Amazon to leak juicy Smash Wii U details! This game board mode sounds especially interesting...

Anyone wanna take a guess at the trophy number on Wii U?

3DS had nearly 700, right? Wii U has to have a ton more, i'd imagine, simply because they can be ripped from Wii/GC and upscaled/uprezzed.

I'm gonna say over 1000.

My guess: 935. I dunno, just a number that popped up in my head and it feels reasonable to me.

Anyone one else hate trophies that are just ripped from other games? On Melee everything was made from scratch. On 3DS it seems to be a case of quantity over quality.

Nah, I've never cared about this. Trophies are cool anyway, whether the models used for them are original or not. It's just the realities of modern game development. Back in Melee, 3D models were so much less complicated that making all those trophies from scratch was a reasonable effort (not to mention they only had to worry about standard definition). People are fooling themselves IMO if they expect Sakurai and his team to make 700+ original, high-definition models from scratch just for trophies, on top of all the other, more important development that needs to be done for the game. Smash games already have a metric fuckton more content than the vast majority of other games, so something's got to give. We can't have it all. If something has to be sacrificed, I'm more than happy for it to be original trophy models. We still get an original, new trophy description for each trophy after all, and that itself is a lot of work.

That said, I certainly appreciate it when we do get original trophy models, especially for HD Smash Wii U trophies. I lost my shit a little bit when I first saw that Bass and Treble trophy a few days back, and I certainly have enjoyed all the made-from-scratch Mega Man trophies in the 3DS version.

Actually, from what we've seen of the Wii U trophies, haven't the vast majority of them been new models? That could be something to look forward to.

Can't wait for another game explain discussion on the amazon leak lol

It's definitely coming.

And you bet your ass I'll be tuning in.

Thanks! Andre and Derrick are recording it as I type this. Unfortunately I wasn't able to join in for this one because of work obligations, but hopefully I can chime in with my thoughts on all this during the next weekly discussion or something...

I swear, I have to be the only person in the world who actually likes PSASBR.

The intro alone is nothing short of spectacular.

Not at all. As you say, PSASBR's intro is excellent, and the game itself is solid. It doesn't get nearly enough credit for being as different from Smash as it is. It's often unfairly passed off as a poor man's Smash clone, when that's not what it actually is at all.

That said, it was plagued with development challenges from the beginning and it's clear that Sony did not have faith in SuperBot to make the game they wanted to make. SuperBot also got screwed when it came to the roster, as none of the big, missing third-parties had enough faith in the game (or just cared enough about it at all) to let SuperBot have the characters everyone wanted to see (Cloud, Crash, Spyro, Lara, Lightning, etc.), leaving a lot of people understandably rather cold on the roster.

Shame, too, because the core game is quite good. I still like Smash a lot more, but my friends and I had a really good time with PSASBR for quite awhile... until one of them figured out how OP Big Daddy and his level 2 special are (really, the roster balance was even worse than Melee's) and proceeded to dominate the rest of us match after match. :p

EhoaVash

man I hope wii u version has some kind of animated Intro like Melee

3DS hardware so weak it can't even handle intro, let alone even a proper TITLE SCREEN

Kurtofan

Anyone one else hate trophies that are just ripped from other games? On Melee everything was made from scratch. On 3DS it seems to be a case of quantity over quality.

Brawl trophies were bad, but the 3DS trophies are great. The models are much better, ripped or not.

Hello.

Banned
I don't entirely mind it. Sure, seeing some of those wacky and niche characters from past games in a new 3D form is cool but it's not entirely necessary. Many trophies in Smash 3DS did go the extra mile to have custom models, or at least, unique poses of ripped models not present in the original source game.

Also, I'm sure there was a reason for Melee's trophies to be unique. Ripping material from the SNES or N64 would be tedious given the different architectures, and how low-quality the textures and models from the 64 are and seeing that in a GCN game would be awful; Sakurai and his team likely figured this and decided to do everything custom-made with reference material.

Now that the Wii and Wii U exist, and are on the same architecture from the GCN days somewhat, ripping models and textures are easy and uprezzing them is not as tedious as making everything custom.

Ryce

The Melee trophies from actual GameCube games (Doshin the Giant, Luigi's Mansion, Animal Crossing, Pikmin) were ripped. The rest were made from scratch out of necessity, and there really weren't a lot of them.

Jezan

Rule of thumb: if you are every asking "am I the only one who...?", the answer is resoundingly "no". Every time. (Unless you deliberately ask something ultra-specific to yourself, like "am I the only one who is named [insert real name here], born to [insert parents' real names here] and lives in [insert hometown here]", in which case the answer is probably "yes".)

I know at least one other person who is lamenting that the game is still solid, despite seemingly nobody else liking it. You are not the only one.
I think that kind of questions means something more like: "I know I can't be the only one, anyone here reading this please tell me if you too like [whatever topic]" :p

But we love some dramatic words. :D

Why would you want them to waste effort on a minor collectible? Melee didn't have model rips because there weren't any models to rip from. Most N64 models would have looked goofy and anything else was sprite based. And of the few GCN game trophies, I think every single one was ripped (Olimar, Luigi's Mansion and Animal Crossing)

Neiteio

I doubt that things like, say, OoT 3D trophies are going to appear in the WiiU version. Those will probably be replaced by TWWHD trophies.

The implication of this, if true, is that large chunks of 3DS trophies may be replaced with something else. Which in turn means that the overall trophy count between the two versions might be roughly the same.

Hopefully they go all-out and pack in even more, though.

The most recent thing in Smash 3DS (outside of text references) is, I believe, the Yoshi's New Island trophy, which came out a month after Tropical Freeze, and I believe the most recent music/stage are both from Pokemon XY. I wouldn't really count on a significant amount of TF content.

For reference, though, what is the newest piece of music/stage/trophy in Brawl relative to its release? Also Wario's victory theme or anything from future releases doesn't count.

emb

The most recent thing in Smash 3DS (outside of text references) is, I believe, the Yoshi's New Island trophy, which came out a month after Tropical Freeze, and I believe the most recent music/stage are both from Pokemon XY. I wouldn't really count on a significant amount of TF content.

For reference, though, what is the newest piece of music/stage/trophy in Brawl relative to its release? Also Wario's victory theme or anything from future releases doesn't count.
Wasn't there some reference to MGS4 in the stage/trophies/codecs? I want to say there was a song and new Metal Gears in the background, don't remember.

Lucario was pretty new as well I guess.

Dimentios

Smash Bros. Brawl - 31. January 2008 (japan)

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - (12. June 2008)

Metal Gear Gecko trophy and in the background of Shadow Moses
"War has changed" music..

EDIT: Wait, why doesn't it count?

Ryce

I doubt that things like, say, OoT 3D trophies are going to appear in the WiiU version. Those will probably be replaced by TWWHD trophies.

The implication of this, if true, is that large chunks of 3DS trophies may be replaced with something else. Which in turn means that the overall trophy count between the two versions might be roughly the same.
That's exactly what I'm expecting.

EDIT: Wait, why doesn't it count?

I'm just trying to think more in terms of games that just came out. Like how Brawl didn't have any Mario Galaxy stuff, even though it was a major release in the series (admittedly, it's also true that Brawl was intended to release before Mario Galaxy, so I suppose the comparison is a bit shaky).

I guess I'm just kinda pessimistic that Sakurai & co. would go out of their way to contact Retro to include it, I dunno. Can't say I know exactly how the process works or what level of correspondence they had. We'll see I guess.

emb

I'm just trying to think more in terms of games that just came out. Like how Brawl didn't have any Mario Galaxy stuff, even though it was a major release in the series (admittedly, it's also true that Brawl was intended to release before Mario Galaxy, so I suppose the comparison is a bit shaky).

I guess I'm just kinda pessimistic that Sakurai & co. would go out of their way to contact Retro to include it, I dunno. Can't say I know exactly how the process works or what level of correspondence they had. We'll see I guess.
Metroid Prime 3 came out around the same time as Galaxy I think?

And it got equally snubbed in Brawl. I doubt TF will end up any different.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Hold the phone...

Wasn't there a member who posted that Smash World was like a board-game the other day? I think it was Poliolioli or something, I remember seeing that post and how it was oddly specific.

Kurtofan

Wii U trophies I expect to see for some series:

Mario series: Mario Galaxy

Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze

Wario: Game and Wario

Zelda: Skyward Sword and Wind Waker HD

Metroid: Prime 3 and Other M

Kirby: don't know, perhaps epic yarn and Return to dreamland, perhaps the old games as well.

Star fox: Assault?

F-Zero: GX?

Earthbound: Not much?

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, Path of Radiance

Pikmin: Pikmin 3

Xenoblade: Xenoblade

Punch out : Wii

emb

Hold the phone...

Wasn't there a member who posted that Smash World was like a board-game the other day? I think it was Poliolioli or something, I remember seeing that post and how it was oddly specific.
Prophet confirmed:
You know what they ought to do.

They ought to have some kind of basic mario party style game board. Much simpler than Mario Party mind you. Then, after everyone's turn, they all enter a random Smash mode, Stamina Smash, Warp Star Smash, Bobomb Smash, Normal Smash, etc etc.. The kind of stuff you'd see at the end of Smash Run.

Considering how close we are to release, can we ignore any "leaks" that come out unless there are images or if there were things the poster got right after their original post?
Tower of Smash and Smash World were both unbelievable, and there's really no point in sharing them. I'll throw in the Agnes leak too, even if that was an image. The leaks are getting more and more desperate in what news they provide in order to get attention, and we shouldn't give it to them.

I don't know why, but this reads like the kind of thing that I would post if I had insider knowledge of a Smash Wii U exclusive game mode but didn't want to outright "reveal" the details. Such a mode would probably be called something like, I don't know, Smash....World?

*Stares intensely at Polioliolio*

Yep, you called it.

Edit: Oh wait, didn't see that other post. Maybe it was just a really lucky guess.

The most recent game to have a stage was Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (November 2006).
The most recent game to have music was Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn and Sonic and the Secret Rings (February 2007).
The most recent game to have trophies was Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (June 2007).

I'll be surprised if DKC Tropical Freeze doesn't at least get trophies. Heck, that game itself already has its own "trophies" pretty much already made for them.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
There was no Phantom Hourglass Trophies in Brawl.

Tetra and Salvatore's Trophy mentions Phantom Hourglass under appearances, but the models are from Wind Waker, and nothing in the description references Phantom Hourglass.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well I hope Stage Builder is vastly improved.

Or it'll just be exactly the same except they re-enabled the slope tiles that weren't available for some reason in Brawl.

EZEAyII.png

You guys probably have already noticed, but there is a pattern for the unlockable characters.

Friday - Ness, Falco, Wario
Last Thursday - Dr. Mario & Dark Pit
This Wednesday - Ganondorf & ROB
Next Tuesday, and lastly the Monday after that.

I'm guessing that after all of the unlockable characters are revealed, then we will get to the big things.
Maybe some details on Smash World?

Well, I guess we'll get Jiggs and G&W next week, and then the next two weeks will have trailers dedicated each to Bowser Jr and Duck Hunt.

It would be weird if they mixed Bowser Jr and the Koopalings with the Duck and Dog, but they might do it if Samurai is lazy.

JazzmanZ

Well, I guess we'll get Jiggs and G&W next week, and then the next two weeks will have trailers dedicated each to Bowser Jr and Duck Hunt.

It would be weird if they mixed Bowser Jr and the Koopalings with the Duck and Dog, but they might do it if Samurai is lazy.

They could it so that the Koopalings are playing Zapper games, Duck hunt comes up and it pops out of the screen.

Rainbow Road is horrible in All Star mode
Rosalina, WFT, Greninja, and Robin chucking projectiles
Died right at the end when I used Mac's side-B and the main platform started to move down JUST enough for Mac to miss the landing and fling off into space.

God damn it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom