• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say this guy has more of a chance than Agnes and Metal Face combined.

aFGYxeH.png

If either of those two becomes a playable character on the roster, I will wear this avatar for a year.

My favorite is Luigi. It sounds so funky and sexual.

Brawl's announcer almost seemed confused when you chose Luigi. I guess it fits his "dorky" personality.

Clov

aFGYxeH.png

If either of those two becomes a playable character on the roster, I will wear this avatar for a year.

I'm hoping that against the odds one of them will be in, so you can continue to spread awareness of Doshin the Giant.

What we really need in Smash though is more Cubivore references. Maybe an item or stage from Odama, too.

I'm hoping that against the odds one of them will be in, so you can continue to spread awareness of Doshin the Giant.

What we really need in Smash though is more Cubivore references. Maybe an item or stage from Odama, too.

Cubivore and Doshin representation would be great. I wonder how long it will take until Sakurai runs out of "forgotten" NES characters to reboot, and he moves on to SNES and N64 characters. Several decades, perhaps?
And yet he'll still look exactly the same.

I might just make it my avatar after October. I want to keep a spooky Pikmin ghost for this month.

Imagine a Hotel Dusk stage, similar to how the Tomodachi Life stage is like on the 3DS. That would be so neat!

We need a Hotel Mario stage first.

Golnei

The best oddball choices for Smash are clearly the Elite Beat Agents/Ouendan.

Kyle Hyde is an acceptable alternative, however.

I can agree with this. As charming as Rhythm Heaven is, it can't compete with EBA/Ouendan. And anything that could lead to the slightest possibility of a Hotel Dusk / Last Window continuation would be appreciated.

aFGYxeH.png

The potential of a Doshin avatar is completely wasted if it doesn't showcase his firefighting ability.

Another character more likely than Metal Face.

hPbv1nh.png

The potential of a Doshin avatar is completely wasted if it doesn't showcase his firefighting ability.

If anyone has an image of it, I would totally use it.

It would make an amazing special, he really should be a character.

Poor Pac Man.

oh man it took me a sec to get that one, lol

EBA/Ouendan toooooootally should've at least been an AT in Brawl though, and then they might've had at least some chance to show up in Smash 4 instead of not even getting a trophy. They're, like, perfect assist material!
goodnight, sweet soldiers of music

aFGYxeH.png

Bookmarking this post. There is a very slight chance Metal Face won't get in, but Agnes? You dun goofed. Enjoy your new avatar.

Richie

So apparently some fool named Ritchie dared to take me up on my Metal Face bet. So i sent him this pm:

Do you think he will fully 100% commit to this here bet? If he does, man its a free game! I mean there is no way I can lose...right? RIGHT?!
This is the part where you nod. Chapter 17: The Part Where You Nod. Trophy Unlocked: The Part Where Everyone Nods.

I've been grinning from ear to ear reading all of these messages hahahaha my but you're devoted! I've yet to finish Xenoblade (about one third, maybe halfway through as we speak?) so I couldn't read the spoilers in your private message, but I assume they're related to him secretly being someone else in the cast. If so I of course will agree to your victory if that other identity makes it playable. Fun times ahead!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I've been grinning from ear to ear reading all of these messages hahahaha my but you're devoted! I've yet to finish Xenoblade (about one third, maybe halfway through as we speak?) so I couldn't read the spoilers in your message, but I assume they're related to him secretly being someone else in the cast. If so I of course will agree to your victory if that other identity makes it playable. Fun times ahead!

That spoiler tag is not Xenoblade related at all. We're all just... nodding.

oh man it took me a sec to get that one, lol

EBA/Ouendan toooooootally should've at least been an AT in Brawl though, and then they might've had at least some chance to show up in Smash 4 instead of not even getting a trophy. They're, like, perfect assist material!
goodnight, sweet soldiers of music
When you summon their assist trophy, it's not them that'll pop out of it, but rather a cry of HEEEAAALP! (text and all)

And then...
z8TLV9Z.jpg

Smash is a lesser game without them.

I've been grinning from ear to ear reading all of these messages hahahaha my but you're devoted! I've yet to finish Xenoblade (about one third, maybe halfway through as we speak?) so I couldn't read the spoilers in your private message, but I assume they're related to him secretly being someone else in the cast. If so I of course will agree to your victory if that other identity makes it playable. Fun times ahead!

lmao the spoiler isn't even really a spoiler

edit: oh in a PM....

Alrighty then. Can't wait to I get my free game. :)

And if I lose a game well...it doesn't really matter since most of the stuff is stuff I own or stuff I don't care about anymore. It took Kerploosh to be something I don't own.

That spoiler tag is not Xenoblade related at all. We're all just... nodding.

This is the part where you nod.

You bet 200 coins for Metal Face, do you want to bet with me for Agnes?

Game worth 200 coins for me if Agnes isn't in, game worth 200 coins for you if she is.
No will not bet 200 coins for Agnes.

Will bet a 200 coin game for either Ridley or any Castlevania character. (If any Castlevania character gets in, I win. Deadline for an announcement will be 12/31/15)

Also can someone please ask the voice guy to do in these exact words: The Witch from The Witch's House

Please? You all owe me. I do always get my predictions right. I am basically a prophet.

We need a Nintendo All Star edition of the Elite Beat Agents where we play on Nintendo music.

There's Osu! I guess.

so something like this (can't find original artist, unfortunately)

i don't know what issun is doing there either

i'd love if nintendo were to take this direction with a nintendo-themed rhythm game, but they seem content to simply occassionaly sprinkle nintendo music into band bros, taiko, donkey konga, harmoknight and the like

Surprised at all the people still claiming the 3DS version is "gimped" and that they're going to sell theirs once the Wii U version is out. The 3DS version is great (not perfect) and in many ways a technical marvel, and while the Wii U version is obviously the "core" version, I will be very happy to continue having Smash 3DS on hand whenever I want to play Smash on the go or away from home.

I have an even worse one

Xover

Sad but true. :(

Did we ever figure out if Megaman Zero is in fact Megaman?

Yes. Yes we did.

the worse thing about xover is that he has a really cool design for a half assed IOS game.

Agreed. I'd love to play as OVER-1 (or any of the OVER models) in a better, legit game.

I always liked the theory that Battle Network is a "what if Wiley and Light pursued the Internet instead of building Robots" Both Navis and the Megaman robots more or less fill the same hole to help humans, they just do it in different ways, and on a high level scale, the characters are mostly the same as well.

Classic, X, Zero and ZX are all the same universe, just over centuries.

Well said. I really took to the Battle Network universe for exactly that reason. It was a surprisingly well-thought out "What if?" scenario, and it was fun (as a fan) seeing how familiar characters would have acted in a situation where the world embraced Internet technology over robotics. The games always felt like playable Saturday morning cartoons, except a fair bit darker and more complex (in a good way).

Isn't Legends also in the same universe but even farther in the future. I thought there were hints of past games in Legends.

Yes, this is accurate. The timeline goes Classic -> X -> Zero -> ZX --------> Legends. Legends takes place some five millennia after the ZX series, but the Zero and ZX series do plant certain seeds if you're really paying attention. Mega Man has more legitimate lore than most people realize.

He'd be a fool to take that bet. Metal Face is definitely not getting in as a playable character. Reyn would get in before Metal Face (unless he's already confirmed as an AT and I didn't know about it).

I can't believe this is even a discussion. There is absolutely no way Metal Face is ever going to be playable in Smash 3DS/WiiU (or probably any Smash game). I honestly can't ever tell if WiiRevolution is ever being serious or if he just wants to watch SmashGAF burn...

Oh no, I just realized...

What if the Nintendo Direct livestream Smash Bros. thingy ends up showing things we already know about?

Think about it: What exactly does "new" mean? More importantly, what does it mean to Nintendo?

Maybe they're just going to show stuff that's new in the Wii U version, like the Yellow Devil. Sure, we've seen it before, but it's technically new. And this is Nintendo we're talking about.

I think this is very unlikely. The event is being billed as highlighting "50 new things in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U," and while they may fudge a few of those, there's no way the majority of those things won't be new to the Wii U version. Nintendo knows it needs to be proactive in showing consumers why they need the WiI U version when they already own the 3DS one, so I don't think they'll squander this chance to show everyone exactly what the Wii U version offers over and above the 3DS version.

DLC/connectivity stuff

This is all very interesting and exciting. :) Just to be clear, though, what exactly is the conclusion drawn here? That there is evidence pointing toward (a) a DLC shop accessible from the main menu á la Mario Kart 8 and (b) at least one character being unlocked via Wii U/3DS connectivity? Or am I misunderstood?

Caladrius

so something like this (can't find original artist, unfortunately)

i don't know what issun is doing there either

i'd love if nintendo were to take this direction with a nintendo-themed rhythm game, but they seem content to simply occassionaly sprinkle nintendo music into band bros, taiko, donkey konga, harmoknight and the like

I wish there could have been a sequel to DDR Mario Mix with more playable characters.

Actually what happened to DDR period?

Muzy72

Banned
Once the Wii U version is out, my time will be split 85% Wii U / 15% 3DS. I'll have already done everything there is to do in the 3DS version by then (just need 3 more challenges!!), so it'll only be used for local multiplayer battles at my university or the occasional For Glory matches during my lunch break at work.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Hello.

Banned
Some fun tidbits from the announcer answering questions:
-They told him to immitate Pat Cashman, the Brawl announcer, so I assume they couldn't book the original guy.
-They recorded back in April, so that would mean the E3 demo couldn't have been fully complete until at least then.
-Bowser Jr was a favorite of his to record
-He tried to give each character a bit of personality in calling out their name
-Can't say the names of any Nintendo-owned characters and won't break NDA about characters that may have been recorded.
-Isn't in the loop for the dev process, so he wouldn't be aware of what got in or didn't get in to the Wii U version.
When and where did he answer these?

I wish there could have been a sequel to DDR Mario Mix with more playable characters.

being able to dance off against waluigi, wario and bowser but only able to play as mario and luigi was a real tease

as far as the series itself, uh, it's still goin'. i don't think any of the recent arcade releases have hit western shores, but there was a new version just last year. konami's pretty much totally given up on home releases of bemani games, with their last efforts being some recent kinect-based spinoffs. oh and of course there's some mobile shit too

smash bros btw

As someone who was really active in the SoCal DDR competitive community back at its height, I can answer this question: Konami failed to support the series with a new entry for so long (the several-year gap between DDR EXTREME and DDR SuperNOVA) that it just sort of petered out.

DDR did see a sort of minor resurgence in the west once Konami finally started releasing the "modern wave" of DDR arcade mixes (SuperNOVA, SuperNOVA 2, X, X2, X3 vs. 2ndMIX, DDR 2013), but these machines are more expensive for arcades to purchase and, thus, much harder to find than the older machines/mixes. There are still certain places for enthusiasts to play the latest mixes in SoCal, but they're pretty hard to find elsewhere in the US.

DDR is still perfectly alive and kicking in Japan, though. When I was there in February, every single arcade in Akihabara had the latest version (DDR 2013), and I almost always had to "quarter up" and wait for my turn like the good ol' days.

As for the home console mixes, Konami simply started seeing worse and worse returns on them as the years wore on. The PS1 mixes and the first few PS2 mixes were huge, but later PS2 mixes didn't do as well. Same goes for other consoles; the Xbox and Xbox 360 mixes did well initially, but support dropped as more and more sequels were churned out. Very few people even remember the lone PS3 mix, it did so badly. That said, the Wii mixes all sold really well, and that line continued pretty much through the Wii's entire lifespan.

Bonus tip: In that long lull between EXTREME and SuperNOVA, a few DDR fans formed a company called Roxor Games and released In The Groove and its sequel In The Groove 2, which were basically pirate versions of DDR that were compatible with existing DDR arcade hardware, which quickly (and rightly, IMO) got them sued by Konami. The games were notoriously buggy and kinda ghetto but did offer some nice advantages at the time, such as harder step charts than you could find in DDR at the time and the ability to upload your own songs and charts via USB and play them on an arcade pad. ItG quickly died after Roxor was sued, though, and the latest DDR mixes have generally adopted harder charts in response to fan feedback, making ItG kind of obsolete these days.

So... that answer all your questions? :p

I would guess the Wii Sports Resort stage will be the equivalent of Tomodachi Life in the 3DS version. The Mii Channel music fits TOO perfectly for Wuhu Island.

As someone who was really active in the SoCal DDR competitive community back at its height, I can answer this question: Konami failed to support the series with a new entry for so long (the several-year gap between DDR EXTREME and DDR SuperNOVA) that it just sort of petered out.

DDR did see a sort of minor resurgence in the west once Konami finally started releasing the "modern wave" of DDR arcade mixes (SuperNOVA, SuperNOVA 2, X, X2, X3 vs. 2ndMIX, DDR 2013), but these machines are more expensive for arcades to purchase and, thus, much harder to find than the older machines/mixes. There are still certain places for enthusiasts to play the latest mixes in SoCal, but they're pretty hard to find elsewhere in the US.

DDR is still perfectly alive and kicking in Japan, though. When I was there in February, every single arcade in Akihabara had the latest version (DDR 2013), and I almost always had to "quarter up" and wait for my turn like the good ol' days.

As for the home console mixes, Konami simply started seeing worse and worse returns on them as the years wore on. The PS1 mixes and the first few PS2 mixes were huge, but later PS2 mixes didn't do as well. Same goes for other consoles; the Xbox and Xbox 360 mixes did well initially, but support dropped as more and more sequels were churned out. Very few people even remember the lone PS3 mix, it did so badly. That said, the Wii mixes all sold really well, and that line continued pretty much through the Wii's entire lifespan.

Bonus tip: In that long lull between EXTREME and SuperNOVA, a few DDR fans formed a company called Roxor Games and released In The Groove and its sequel In The Groove 2, which were basically pirate versions of DDR that were compatible with existing DDR arcade hardware, which quickly (and rightly, IMO) got them sued by Konami. The games were notoriously buggy and kinda ghetto but did offer some nice advantages at the time, such as harder step charts than you could find in DDR at the time and the ability to upload your own songs and charts via USB and play them on an arcade pad. ItG quickly died after Roxor was sued, though, and the latest DDR mixes have generally adopted harder charts in response to fan feedback, making ItG kind of obsolete these days.

So... that answer all your questions? :p

Wow, you're making me miss my old DDR platform (I got rid of it about 2 house-moves ago.) I used to groove to stepmania with all the classics on it and got a whole bunch of my friends hooked on it too. They used to bring around one of their platforms and we'd have dance offs... good times :3
I figured with Dance Central I wouldn't need it any more, though admittedly I've not been stepping to that for a while either :eek:
Oh and when I say platforms, I mean the full metal arcade-style ones too, not those dodgy plastic mat things :p

He probably explain it much better than I would have.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=135201058&postcount=70

This is perfect, thanks!

Wow, you're making me miss my old DDR platform (I got rid of it about 2 house-moves ago.) I used to groove to stepmania with all the classics on it and got a whole bunch of my friends hooked on it too. They used to bring around one of their platforms and we'd have dance offs... good times :3
I figured with Dance Central I wouldn't need it any more, though admittedly I've not been stepping to that for a while either :eek:
Oh and when I say platforms, I mean the full metal arcade-style ones too, not those dodgy plastic mat things :p

I hear you. I also used to have one of those Cobalt Flux metal DDR pads to play the home mixes with, and before that, I even Frankensteined my own hard pad by taking one of the official soft pads and fixing it to a wooden board! Once I started playing in the arcades, though, I could never go back to playing at home. It just felt too different... and better (to me). And yeah, I too used to play Stepmania all the time. I still do sometimes, albeit with my fingers and not with a pad hooked up. I also still play the home console mixes (with a controller) sometimes, too.

I really miss the DDR scene back at its height... it was so, so fun. You really had to be there to know how fun, but yeah. Good times.

Anyway, SUPER SMASH BROTHERS FOR WII U AM I RIGHT GUYS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom