• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this is very unlikely. The event is being billed as highlighting "50 new things in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U," and while they may fudge a few of those, there's no way the majority of those things won't be new to the Wii U version. Nintendo knows it needs to be proactive in showing consumers why they need the WiI U version when they already own the 3DS one, so I don't think they'll squander this chance to show everyone exactly what the Wii U version offers over and above the 3DS version.
I didn't mean that we would be getting little or no new information, I just meant that maybe we would be getting "40 New Things in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U" along with 10 things we already knew.
I guess the word "new" has just been ruined for me. Thanks Nintendo.

Here's some stuff we haven't seen revealed officially that came through sources like Nintendo, Amazon, or other retailers:
Stages: Kalos Pokemon League, Great Cave Offensive, Temple, Wuhu Island/Wii Sports Resort (likely)
Game Modes: Board Game mode, 8-Player Smash
Characters (non-playable): Ridley, Metal Face
Anything I'm missing?

Question: How many of you would consider Ridley officially deconfirmed if we saw him as a stage boss? Would some of you still cling to the idea of Alfonzo stepping in on Pyrosphere if Ridley would somehow become a character through DLC?
Are you complaining about others posting excessively without any content?
0awD97p.jpg

Caladrius

Does 48-hour brainwashing work like it's supposed to?

being able to dance off against waluigi, wario and bowser but only able to play as mario and luigi was a real tease

as far as the series itself, uh, it's still goin'. i don't think any of the recent arcade releases have hit western shores, but there was a new version just last year.

smash bros btw

As someone who was really active in the SoCal DDR competitive community back at its height, I can answer this question: Konami failed to support the series with a new entry for so long (the several-year gap between DDR EXTREME and DDR SuperNOVA) that it just sort of petered out.

So... that answer all your questions? :p

That about answers it, thanks.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Question: How many of you would consider Ridley officially deconfirmed if we saw him as a stage boss? Would some of you still cling to the idea of Alfonzo stepping in on Pyrosphere if Ridley would somehow become a character through DLC?

My Pikachu hand is raised.

Then again I already think he is more or less officially confirmed to not be playable.

Neiteio

I've become obsessed with the idea of 8-player Smash. I need to reign in my expectations in case it's not really a thing. But the idea of all my friends playing together on Palutena's Temple at the same time... maybe as Bowser Jr. and all of the Koopalings, if I can persuade them... is just too much fun to resist!

I enter this thread and see detailed Mega Man lore discussion (awesome) and DDR socal discussion (lol wut).

Always down for some Mega Man lore talk it's in my top 3 favorite series and I make no attempt to hide it with my username/avatar combo :p

I've become obsessed with the idea of 8-player Smash. I need to reign in my expectations in case it's not really a thing. But the idea of all my friends playing together on Palutena's Temple at the same time... maybe as Bowser Jr. and all of the Koopalings, if I can persuade them... is just too much fun to resist!

This is by far the most OBVIOUS event match set up in the history of forever I'll be disappointed even IF 8 player smash is in (even if it isn't in) if Sakurai doesn't do a B Jr vs 7 Koopalings event match

Neiteio

Wait a minute I've been out of the loop for awhile. What's Metal Face?
Badass mech/man/monster (not spoiling which!) from Xenoblade Chronicles who has been hinted to appear in the WiiU version of Gaur Plains. He speaks with a jolly British accent and is kind of a dick, but that's why we love him.

Caladrius

If I see stage boss Ridley in full I'll assume the worst.

In an ideal world Ridley could be in as a character and boss (and it would be workable), but I don't see that being the case.

Wait a minute I've been out of the loop for awhile. What's Metal Face?

One of the major antagonists of Xenoblade.

Neiteio

I was just about to link to one of my favorite Metal Face cutscenes but realized he is so proud of his diabolical feats that he spoils some early-game surprises with his dialogue.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I enter this thread and see detailed Mega Man lore discussion (awesome) and DDR socal discussion (lol wut).

Always down for some Mega Man lore talk it's in my top 3 favorite series and I make no attempt to hide it with my username/avatar combo :p

Neeeeerrrdddd

Neiteio

Oh man, I just realized the WiiU version will probably have a Metal Face trophy

WiiU version trophy gallery >>> 3DS version trophy gallery

Badass mech/man/monster (not spoiling which!) from Xenoblade Chronicles who has been hinted to appear in the WiiU version of Gaur Plains. He speaks with a jolly British accent and is kind of a dick, but that's why we love him.

You already spoiled it because
he's pretty much all three.

Badass mech from Xenoblade Chronicles who has been hinted to appear in the WiiU version of Gaur Plains. He speaks with a jolly British accent and is kind of a dick, but that's why we love him.

Your comment is basically a spoiler though, I edited down to what it should have been in the first place.

Oh geez, it's starting to getting all spoilery in here regarding Xenoblade Chronicles. It's my own fault for not having finished it, but as much as I was really into the story and characters, there wasn't a single aspect of the gameplay I found myself able to enjoy (other than generally exploring the beautifully-designed environments while listening to the god-tier soundtrack).

I really should just tough it up and grind it out just to see what happens, but the game doesn't seem too keen on letting you do that...

Neeeeerrrdddd

The best kind of nerd, yes.

Oh geez, it's starting to getting all spoilery in here regarding Xenoblade Chronicles. It's my own fault for not having finished it, but as much as I was really into the story and characters, there wasn't a single aspect of the gameplay I found myself able to enjoy (other than generally exploring the beautifully-designed environments while listening to the god-tier soundtrack).

I really should just tough it up and grind it out just to see what happens, but the game doesn't seem too keen on letting you do that...

I feel like I told someone this before (was it you?), but maybe you could just watch the cutscenes on YT if the gameplay isn't appealing to you?

I feel like I told someone this before (was it you?), but maybe you could just watch the cutscenes on YT if the gameplay isn't appealing to you?

Nah, it wasn't me. I have thought about that myself, but I don't know... watching a game's cutscenes out of gameplay context really takes me out of the experience. I'm kind of a case of "damned if you do, damned if you don't," though entirely self-imposed, I admit.

It's basically that I'm a recovering completionist (because I don't have the time to 100% most games anymore), and Xenoblade Chronicles is like the worst game you can possibly play if you're trying not to care about doing everything and missing content. There's just too much shit to do in the game, and each new area is overwhelming not only in its size but the amount of quests you are expected to discover and do. But I also don't want to play the game looking between a FAQ and the TV, so... :p

I think it also doesn't help that it basically feels like Final Fantasy XII with better characters and music. I didn't like FF XII at all (couldn't hold my attention for more than 8-10 hours), so that's not really making my Xenoblade experience any better. I recognize that it's a great game, though... just maybe not for me.

Caladrius

Nah, it wasn't me. I have thought about that myself, but I don't know... watching a game's cutscenes out of gameplay context really takes me out of the experience. I'm kind of a case of "damned if you do, damned if you don't," though entirely self-imposed, I admit..

There should be full playthroughs without commentary on Youtube, if you can sit down for those. (Of course you can skip through boring parts too).

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I would recommend chuggaconroy's playthrough, but that's currently on hiatus because you guys at gamexplain made him sick, jk :p

Has it been mentioned how similar this is to Super Mario 3D World's ten new things trailer from last year.

Here what they were:

From http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/35969/ten-new-things-about-super-mario-3d-world-spoilers

1. Touchscreen and microphone gameplay:

2. Golden Express stage:

3. Captain Toad levels:

4. Speed run levels:

5. Mystery Houses:

6. Motley Boss Blob:

7. Top-down shooter stage:

8. Kart-style stage:

9. Unlockable bonus game:

10. Unlockable 5th character

If we extrapolate this times five it seems we'll get 5 game modes and 5 characters reveals. The math is flawless.

georly

Nah, it wasn't me. I have thought about that myself, but I don't know... watching a game's cutscenes out of gameplay context really takes me out of the experience. I'm kind of a case of "damned if you do, damned if you don't," though entirely self-imposed, I admit.

It's basically that I'm a recovering completionist (because I don't have the time to 100% most games anymore), and Xenoblade Chronicles is like the worst game you can possibly play if you're trying not to care about doing everything and missing content. There's just too much shit to do in the game, and each new area is overwhelming not only in its size but the amount of quests you are expected to discover and do. But I also don't want to play the game looking between a FAQ and the TV, so... :p

I think it also doesn't help that it basically feels like Final Fantasy XII with better characters and music. I didn't like FF XII at all (couldn't hold my attention for more than 8-10 hours), so that's not really making my Xenoblade experience any better. I recognize that it's a great game, though... just maybe not for me.

Don't worry, I was the same as you, it's why half the games I got from 2005-2012 went unfinished. I tried to complete them but I didn't have time to do them. Tons of casualties of that 'war.' Okami, Zack and Wiki, Shadow of the Colossus, Tales of the abyss, The world ends with you, FFIV remake on DS, the list goes on. All abandoned because I didn't have the time to finish them. Because I didn't have the time to explore the worlds and complete every side quest, or to get an 'A' rank on each stage.

Then, suddenly, I decided to just FINISH games. I decided to RUN right through them. If I like them enough, i'll come back to them later (next week, next year, next decade) and complete them. I feel much better now. I pick and choose 1-2 games a year to 100% (Smash 3DS/Wii U and Hyrule warriors this year), and the rest just get relegated to 'story mode.' I had to do it, but I feel happier. A lot of the games I beat, I'm VERY VERY glad I didn't 100% them. Not worth my time if I had tried. But I AM glad I beat them. One more notch in the belt!

I'm very curious what kind of POTD we are getting for next 3 days before Smash Direct happening.

Edited: I really like how the prodigy dodged Karsticle' post. :p

Menu, trophy, results for 3DS online thingie. And of course, jigglypuff and game and watch secret character pages.

I'm praying DHD and BJ get a spotlight during the smash thing.

Caladrius

I'm trying to 100% the 3DS version and it's utterly killing me.

I get Smash U for Christmas, but I think I might still be burnt out if I keep pressing on in the 3DS version. I'm a bit under halfway done with All-star and 100-man melee, and still need to clear Smash run with all characters (though I actually really enjoy Smash Run so that isn't bad at all.)

Man God

Non-Canon Member

I get Smash U for Christmas, but I think I might still be burnt out if I keep pressing on in the 3DS version.

Getting there myself. I need two more streetpasses, another full day of Smash (why it counts every play mode BUT the one I use boggles the mind, 1 more Smash Run Power, around 80 more abilities, and 5 or so trophies that aren't part of the challenge wall.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
why would I respond to that

Because you know that he's right. :p

Menu, trophy, results for 3DS online thingie. And of course, jigglypuff and game and watch secret character pages.

I'm praying DHD and BJ get a spotlight during the smash thing.

Hmm. That's true that we could get Mr. Game and Watch and Jigglypuff before the Direct. I still hope that we would get a stage confirmation this week before the direct.

he's gonna post a pyrosphere screen at least one more time.
he has to.

Yep, he need to do that.

georly

I get Smash U for Christmas, but I think I might still be burnt out if I keep pressing on in the 3DS version. I'm a bit under halfway done with All-star and 100-man melee, and still need to clear Smash run with all characters (though I actually really enjoy Smash Run so that isn't bad at all.)

So I need about 30 all stars, 30 100-man, and about 40 smash run wins. There are about 30 days until I get my copy, so if I do about 3-4 a day, i'll be fine. I also check out the trophy shop between each one.

random25

I'm a bit too far from completing the game. I play and enjoy too much online that I keep forgetting these stuff lol.

Thorakai

So now that its seems likely 8-player Smash is a thing and assuming it works as 8 players on screen at once, could the Wii U handle it if all the players were Ice Climbers? I know nothing about the technical aspects of game development. But its interesting to see that the Wii U has a mode that could have potentially booted the Ice Climbers from the game even without the technical limitations/parity demand of the 3DS version.

georly

So now that its seems likely 8-player Smash is a thing and assuming it works as 8 players on screen at once, could the Wii U handle it if all the players were Ice Climbers? I know nothing about the technical aspects of game development. But its interesting to see that the Wii U has a mode that could have potentially booted the Ice Climbers from the game even without the technical limitations/parity demand of the 3DS version.

The ice climbers sacrificed themselves so that 8 player smash may live ;_;

They died for our 8 player smash.

The Wii U could have handled eight Ice Climbers easy. It's embarrassing hardware by today's standards but it is leaps and bounds above anything Smash has ever ran on before.

Golnei

Considering the amount of time left until you'll get the Wii U version, there's no reason to kill yourself over it. Are you doing the solo modes in repeated blocks, or just one or two per session? One run of each per day or so should be enough to clear everything by then.

he's gonna post a pyrosphere screen at least one more time.
he has to.

I'll be so disappointed if he doesn't do one last tease before revealing the stage boss. The recent Waluigi picture wasn't enough - he can be crueler than that.

Why thank you.

I just don't think that a shared stage would be so dramatically different, and the tease at the end just reminds me of Dark Pit tease and I don't think there will be a playable boss mode. I really don't care about him much, but it might make a very unique moveset now that I've thought about it some. Maybe Sakurai just really like Metal Face/moveset idea/Xenoblade, who knows?

I played around 13 hours of Xenoblade, so yes. He is a huge machine.
That can be shrunk down.

Fixed. ;)

And what do you mean I believe characters can get in with no chance? Agnes totally has a chance! Dr. Luigi, Emolga, DKJR, Urban Champion all have chances!
The Witch from The Witch's House too. And don't forget Stella from Xenophobia!

I can't wait to prove yall wrong. It will be my greatest achievement. (About Metal Face, not the other characters I listed.)
I apologize, I had no idea! And I'm still waiting for Emolga and DKJr too haha.

I just got back 3 hours ago.

Goku: Yaaaay!

Bookmarking this post. There is a very slight chance Metal Face won't get in, but Agnes? You dun goofed. Enjoy your new avatar.

29a.gif

You already know my answer...

And no, not it's not Alfonzo.

Ziocyte

This has probably already been discussed, but could we see more assist trophies on the Wii U version? It would seem that the 3DS hardware could limit the amount of possible assists that get loaded into memory. Unless they do do some slight of hand where they only load a subset of possible assists for that round and know ahead of time which assets need to be loaded.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
This has probably already been discussed, but could we see more assist trophies on the Wii U version? It would seem that the 3DS hardware could limit the amount of possible assists that get loaded into memory. Unless they do do some slight of hand where they only load a subset of possible assists for that round and know ahead of time which assets need to be loaded.

Sakurai kinda implied that we might have few more items that don't exist in 3DS version.

Here is his quote on this matter,

The 3DS version will have roughly the same types of Assist Trophies and Pokémon. Just roughly...

Rychu Supadude

Neo Member
So there has to be a reasonable expectation that the website will finally be updated to have the blue "coming soon" button replaced with an actual Wii U section after the direct is over, surely.

The current 3DS section actually only contains pages for Solo (details Classic and Stadium, but not All-Star), Smash Run, Online Smash (even though all of the screenshots are Wii U!), and StreetSmash. The How to Play section contains all of the cross-platform information - What is Super Smash Bros.?, Basic Controls, Character Creation, Stages, Items, Assist Trophies, Pokemon, amiibo. Although the Music section is actually 3DS-specific at the moment, that might have to change.

But yeah, there should be a few more pages posted for whatever Wii U modes get revealed and demonstrated, designed in the same fashion as the 3DS one.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
You think 3DS will have any assist trophies that aren't on Wii U?

I dunno. I'm saying that Wii U version might have few more items (pokeball pokemon, assist trophies or items) than 3DS version. From top of my head, there is only one assist trophy that haven't shown in Wii U screenshot which is Prince Sable.

Caladrius

Getting there myself. I need two more streetpasses, another full day of Smash (why it counts every play mode BUT the one I use boggles the mind, 1 more Smash Run Power, around 80 more abilities, and 5 or so trophies that aren't part of the challenge wall.

So I need about 30 all stars, 30 100-man, and about 40 smash run wins. There are about 30 days until I get my copy, so if I do about 3-4 a day, i'll be fine. I also check out the trophy shop between each one.

I'm a bit too far from completing the game. I play and enjoy too much online that I keep forgetting these stuff lol.

Considering the amount of time left until you'll get the Wii U version, there's no reason to kill yourself over it. Are you doing the solo modes in repeated blocks, or just one or two per session? One run of each per day or so should be enough to clear everything by then.

I'll be so disappointed if he doesn't do one last tease before revealing the stage boss. The recent Waluigi picture wasn't enough - he can be crueler than that.

I've been doing it in bursts of 3-5 characters each day. I'm chipping away at it. I'm just antsy because I have like 5 other games I want to get to and focus on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom