• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rychu Supadude

Neo Member
Unless they do do some slight of hand where they only load a subset of possible assists for that round and know ahead of time which assets need to be loaded.

Well, I've definitely observed this practice for enemies in Smash Run and Miis in Multi-Man Smash... it's much harder to tell whether it's happening for ATs and pokeballs since they only come out one at a time, but it definitely wouldn't surprise me.

I think that any betting person would prefer to put their money on the console version having more assists than the handheld version, but the only facts we have are that every AT that has been seen in Wii U footage exists on the 3DS, and some of the ATs on the 3DS have not yet been seen in Wii U footage.

If there are some Wii U exclusives being kept under wraps, they had better be pretty nice!

Wh9ve6I.png

it was inevitable

Caladrius

I can't wait for Pikmin in 60FPS

Because f'rizzle it's mad uggo homedawgs.

How's it a spoiler? I listed the three things people might guess Metal Face to be. They'll have to play the game to learn what's up with him.

Considering they have the exact same voice, saying that Metal face could be man or machine completely gives away the (admittedly already pretty obvious) plot point that Mumkhar is Metal Face.

Neiteio

The Wii U could have handled eight Ice Climbers easy. It's embarrassing hardware by today's standards but it is leaps and bounds above anything Smash has ever ran on before.
It's true the WiiU is much more capable, but we don't know what else Sakurai might be attempting to do with this iteration.

For example, Sakurai might be aiming to maintain 60 fps with eight players + local/online + items on Very High + huge arenas + roaming stage bosses + other dynamic elements + Coin Battle, etc.

Maybe the game is optimized to run well under those circumstances with the current roster, but eight player-controlled Popos + eight AI-controlled Nanas is too much.

We can't say since we don't know how much Sakurai is attempting this time around and how the system has been optimized to handle all of that.

Neiteio

Considering they have the exact same voice, saying that Metal face could be man or machine completely gives away the (admittedly already pretty obvious) plot point that Mumkhar is Metal Face.
Nothing was spoiled until
the one guy literally re-quoted me but removed the "man" and "monster" bits, thus confirming Metal Face is a man or monster.
Ironic, I must say.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
the one guy literally re-quoted me but removed the "man" and "monster" bits, thus confirming Metal Face is a man or monster.
Ironic, I must say.

It's not really a big deal anyway. Metal Face shows up within a couple hours and the name alone kind indicates what sort of enemy he is (not to mention the fact the prologue sets the tone of the game as an organic vs mechanic struggle).

It's like "spoiling" FF7 by saying they blow up a reactor.

Caladrius

I'm like 85% sure that the Pikmins' pathfinding is borderline broken.

Ironic, I must say.

The problem is that
so much as intimating that he might be anything other than a machine is going to create expectations. Having it called attention to by someone else is indeed problematic, but the fact remains that you're already nudging them into drawing conclusions about a character to start off with. It's not a huge deal, but keep that in mind when talking about spoiler-y characters in the future.

Neiteio

It's not really a big deal anyway. Metal Face shows up within a couple hours and the name alone kind indicates what sort of enemy he is (not to mention the fact the prologue sets the tone of the game as an organic vs mechanic struggle).

Honestly, I never guessed that (Xenoblade spoilers)
Metal Face is Mumkhar, because the latter only briefly appeared in the beginning and I didn't think much of him by the time Metal Face arrived.

Neiteio

Jolt Haymaker is too much fun. I don't think it's a matter of these Little Mac players not learning from their mistakes. Rather, I think they just like doing that move a lot, haha.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly, I never guessed that (Xenoblade spoilers)
Metal Face is Mumkhar, because the latter only briefly appeared in the beginning and I didn't think much of him by the time Metal Face arrived.

Now, that's a big spoiler about the character and wasn't what I was referring to :p. Metal Face being a mech/robot thing isn't really a spoiler though.

Nia

I disagree.
I thought Faced Mechon were actual machines for a long time, and could speak and have personalties because that's how they were programmed.

Kangi

All from the same tumblr page:
Falco Wii U picture dump: 67 notes.
Wario Wii U picture dump: 50 notes.
Ness Wii U picture dump: 1,055 notes.

Okay.

It's true the WiiU is much more capable, but we don't know what else Sakurai might be attempting to do with this iteration.

For example, Sakurai might be aiming to maintain 60 fps with eight players + local/online + items on Very High + huge arenas + roaming stage bosses + other dynamic elements + Coin Battle, etc.

Maybe the game is optimized to run well under those circumstances with the current roster, but eight player-controlled Popos + eight AI-controlled Nanas is too much.

We can't say since we don't know how much Sakurai is attempting this time around and how the system has been optimized to handle all of that.
Of course it is impossible to know every hypothetical, but we do know one thing for certain--the Ice Climbers were running on the Wii U version and were cut due to the 3DS's limitations, straight from Sakurai's mouth. Trying to look for a reason in the Wii U version for them to be removed seems like an attempt to shift some of the burden off of the known culprit.

Neiteio

Of course it is impossible to know every hypothetical, but we do know one thing for certain--the Ice Climbers were running on the Wii U version and were cut due to the 3DS's limitations, straight from Sakurai's mouth. Trying to look for a reason in the Wii U version for them to be removed seems like an attempt to shift some of the burden off of the known culprit.
We know the Ice Climbers were running on the WiiU in some form, which may or may not have been a complete state, and at some point, which may be before or after more demanding modes like eight-player online were added. Bottom line is, we don't know. All we can say for sure is that 3DS roster parity played a role, but it wouldn't surprise me if other factors on the WiiU may have precluded them there, as well.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
One of the reasons I never talk about Xenoblade on GAF or any gaming forum is because no one has played the game despite being available on the worldwide market for 2 years. Which is honestly quite pathetic. It is kinda annoying to have to basically not be able to discuss a great game unless it's in complete spoiler tags and I'm far too lazy to do that.

----------------

That said I am looking forward to the Smash info on Thursday.

uberluigi

Banned
What I really hope the Wii U version has is a stable online experience and the ability to post clips onto miiverse and YouTube like Mario Kart 8.

emb

One of the reasons I never talk about Xenoblade on GAF or any gaming forum is because no one has played the game despite being available on the worldwide market for 2 years. Which is honestly quite pathetic. It is kinda annoying to have to basically not be able to discuss a great game unless it's in complete spoiler tags and I'm far too lazy to do that.

----------------

I don't really follow why spoiler tags are an issue. Just click the button right there before you start typing about it.
Spoiler tags are friends of the world. ^.^
Though I guess in practice you'd want to also add a warning before the spoilers.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

----------------

I would say a ton of people on gaf have played xenoblade, but there will always be somebody who hasent played it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom