• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone tried taking the widest row of stages and made every row that wide to see potentially the max number of stages?

It might also be useful as a tool to try and fill in some holes to see what makes everything line up nice

Drago

What are your guys' plans for getting the game + adapter day one? Going for the bundle? Just buying all three separate? It seems like a bunch of third party gamecube controllers will be on the market as well. Saw this one online:
I tried preordering the bundle at Gamestop today but they said they weren't taking preorders for it anymore or something so I just put preorders down for the standalone game and the GC Adapter instead.

Just ordered an official White GC controller too for $30. I'd rather have a white controller than a black one anyways so I'm happy. :)

Will probably end up with a HORI GC-shaped Classic Controller as well, for games with CC support

georly

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD ORBITAL GATE

That's probably the coolest looking stage smash bros has ever had. I love the idea, and it's executed so well. I think it's my favorite stage.

It totally makes you feel like you're part of a space battle, unlike the previous star fox stages.

Mario circuit's thing where you fight on walls/ceilings is pretty neat, too! Very very clever, sakurai and team.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I didn't know there was such a big hate for walk-off stages.

I fucking love Onett. But then again I guess it isn't entirely flat and has an interesting layout.

EDIT: I really hope Eggplant Man appears during the Wrecking Crew level. He needs a shout-out!

Wooly World is too fucking good looking to be instantly never played because walk-offs.

Ever since Brawl, it's felt like the levels are trending away from being suspended in space with off stage games. Either everything's a traveling stage or a big walk off.

Sakurai hate off stage gameplay, it seems.

And oh god I just saw it. Someone seriously needs to tell Sakurai to fuck off with the walk offs. It's so fantastic looking with great aesthetics and platform placements, but it's a god damn walk off and the platform falls off. Seriously.

Zomba13

Omega mode for all stages is cool and all, giving more variety (even if just in visuals and music) for super competitive play but I wish we could get a "no hazards" mode of levels. Like, no bosses, no things that hurt the player. Keep the travelling aspects on the stages that have them just get rid out things that hinder and interrupt play.

Watch Da Birdie

I wonder what part of Great Cave Offensive they'll use for the Omega Version?

I think making it look like this part:

uWMK8Zwl.png

With the castle in the background would be the best.

Also, I didn't see that hole that Yoshi's falling down in the Rules POTD?

Azure J

Wrecking Crew stage might be the sleeper pick for best stage theme. Also WHAT @ the size of The Great Cave Offensive. It's like Ridley sized.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Jesus guys y'all gotta get over the walk offs. They can be plenty fun, you're treating them like gaming's greatest sin or some nonsense.

The only thing I'm not crazy about in the Great Cave Offensive is that weird...voidish background thing. Just have a cave background like near the crysal segment.

Also, what's the music playing in the Mario Circuit stage?

I didn't know there was such a big hate for walk-off stages.

I fucking love Onett. But then again I guess it isn't entirely flat and has an interesting layout.

Seriously, LOL. My tastes in Smash continue to different from nearly everyone else. :(

Oh, and they showed the FD GCO near the end of the direct.

Jesus guys y'all gotta get over the walk offs. They can be plenty fun, you're treating them like gaming's greatest sin or some nonsense.

Listen to this man.

Moonlight

Banned
Wooly World would be hella legal if it weren't for those goddamn walk-offs. RIP in peace. :(

My hopes of Kalos being legal were dashed to hell, though. Water starts you off with the walk-offs and the rushing water, oh jeez. :lol

It looks great for a less competitive stage, though. The water doesn't seem as bad as the water in Distant Planet. I think how much fun I'll have here hinges on whether or not Rayquaza is actually a stage boss. Can Ash confirm whether or not that's the case, or is there an embargo? I hope not, since I really like it.

Fortunately, I didn't see anything actually that bad about Orbital Gate? At least, so far. It wasn't really clear to me if the Arwing lasers were doing anything, but I might be wrong. I'm a little bad at following 4 Player Smash a lot of the time. It might be a decent counterpick assuming things don't fly off the handle. I mean, they probably will, but I have hope! Even if it's not, it looks gorgeous. Those platform transitions are incredible.

Mario Circuit is genius, holy shit. The stage itself looks great, and there doesn't appear to be any real hazards. I just have to wonder if the occasional denial of the vertical blast zone is gonna be considered too much to allow it. :lol

Dr. Buni

I would say the same to the people hating on FD/Omega stages. They are pretty good, but people are hating on them because there are no platforms.

Watch Da Birdie

Is this the first Mario Party reference in Smash?

Also, I still don't see swimming anywhere?

I didn't catch the MK8 stage in the Direct yesterday so when I saw it in Gamexplain's coverage today I was mind blown. I love it, and I loved the whole antigrav thing in MK8 also and watching this stage's backdrop is mesmerising. The stage is so gorgeous and huge.

A lot of people, myself included, are a bit miffed that in the 3DS version a lot of the stages are recycled but these new ones in the Wii U version seem to make up for it, they're all fab. I feel spoilt rotten with everything that was announced yesterday. Besides any newcomers or a Melee-esque Adventure mode there's very little more I'd like to see added.

Kalos Pokemon League also looks wonderful. The water portion looks like it may be annoying, but the running water is only there for a second. Even if Rayquaza does appear often in its section, it seems to change up enough to where it won't be a problem.

And obviously Orbital Gate is fucking amazing.

georly

They're not bad for casual play, but if you're playing in a tournament, camping the ledge is the best strategy because you can low percent KO. It makes them dull and boring to watch/play competitively. That's all. It makes one strategy be the best strategy, which isn't healthy for real competitive play. Same way large stages makes running away when you're in the lead the best strategy. Boring.

Moonlight

Banned
Man, these stages. Asthetically better than what I'm used to, but structurally awful.

Oh well, what can you do?
Mario Circuit looks fine, honestly. There's a short period with the walk-off, but it's really not anywhere close to bad. Orbital Gate looks good, too.

ec0ec0

Man, these stages. Asthetically better than what I'm used to, but structurally awful.

Oh well, what can you do?

hope that the stage builder lets you also change blast zones, apart from everything else. That would "save" stages, more or less...

no. Sorry, but i cant ;_; I hope that everyone else has fun, though.

Watch Da Birdie

Ah, okay, I thought people were seeing swimming the the footage of the new stages and I didn't see any water, now I see it was mentioned in the smaller GameExplain.

Lunar15

I mean, you're effectively eliminating a huge chunk of the gameplay in smash, which is all about getting back to a stage.

Are they the worst? No, it's hardly the worst gimmick. But it's still a buzzkill.

Orbital gate seems like the kind of level I'll play once and say "well that's cool" and never touch again because it's just kind of all over the place. I'm not a very competitive smasher (I even play with items on!) but gimmicky stages really bug me.

I'm fine with having them in there, but you need to balance it out with non-gimmick levels with some varied platform placement. Nothing like that exists here. I'm usually not such a big complainer, but these stages just have me bummin'.

Azure J

Wooly World would be hella legal if it weren't for those goddamn walk-offs. RIP in peace. :(

My hopes of Kalos being legal were dashed to hell, though. Water starts you off with the walk-offs and the rushing water, oh jeez. :lol

It looks great for a less competitive stage, though. The water doesn't seem as bad as the water in Distant Planet. I think how much fun I'll have here hinges on whether or not Rayquaza is actually a stage boss. Can Ash confirm whether or not that's the case, or is there an embargo? I hope not, since I really like it.

Fortunately, I didn't see anything actually that bad about Orbital Gate? At least, so far. It wasn't really clear to me if the Arwing lasers were doing anything, but I might be wrong. I'm a little bad at following 4 Player Smash a lot of the time. It might be a decent counterpick assuming things don't fly off the handle. I mean, they probably will, but I have hope! Even if it's not, it looks gorgeous. Those platform transitions are incredible.

Mario Circuit is genius, holy shit. I have to wonder if it's legal or not. The stage itself looks great, and there doesn't appear to be any real hazards. I just have to wonder if the occasional denial of the vertical blast zone is gonna be considered too much to allow it. :lol

Wooly World probably had a shot at being legal/counterpick if the time you spent on the flat ground wasn't as long. The crazy part about that stage though is that without the ground, it really has one of the best new (post Melee) stage gimmicks in the Super Mario Bros. 1 style balancing platforms made of the clouds and toys hanging off the rope.

Orbital Gate looks straight up good even with the multiple segments. There's a lot of maneuverability there and the sections are interesting (I love the triple Arwing segment so much).

Mario Circuit is probably going to make it to being legit. No walk offs (or one depending on what that last segment was and even that was only present for a second or two), great dynamics (seriously the floor-as-ceiling and floor-as-wall ideas are so simple but so fun) and nothing glaringly bad to deal with versus other "they're racing towards you from the background" stages.

Jungle Hijinxs looks like it might make it but for bigger groups of fighters. 1-on-1 it might get a bit too easy to stall.

KALOS PLS. You were the best looking Pokemon stage EVER.

This song is so good. :lol

Watch Da Birdie

Is Rayquaza actually a boss?

And the Peckish Aristocrab?

Peckish Aristocrab just seems like a quick stage hazard, I don't think you fight him.

Rayquaza might just fly across the screen once and not actually attack you.

Gotta say, one Stage I always wanted from Smash was a "Skies of Hoenn" Stage where you rode atop Rayquaza in the air, with the Lati@s appearing as platforms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom