• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

georly

jJ40lGV.jpg

I enhanced the octopus pic. The background looks like some Mario 3D Land-esque cliffs. I thought maybe it might be from Mushroom Kingdom U when water floods a world but none of the worlds look like that. The water and cliff color are wrong for Wuhu Island and Delphino Plaza. I'm not sure what this level is.

Game and Watch's final smash actually adds a gray-ish filter to the world: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npk7Fk8e40g#t=768

That said, the 'white patterns' in the water don't match wuhu anywhere OR delphino.

It only bears a passing resemblance to the Pirate ship stage:
The color would be accounted for in the final smash, which adds the gray filter, but adding a transparency to the water would be an interesting design choice.

It's possible that if swimming is removed (and replaced with a slow sinking), then they'd make the water transparent so you can see how far below the surface you are. That would kinda ruin the Wind Waker Aesthetic, though.

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT, you can see the room flooding in the Mushroom Kingdom U stage here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCfRCTlULs0#t=132

It's a bit hard to make out, and we don't have any direct-feed footage/shots afaik, but I'm pretty sure you can see the patterns in the water there.

v1Yh70P.png

So yes, I think you're right. NSMBU.

Dimmle

But the stage isn't based on a non-Awakening Fire Emblem.

To split hairs, it could be argued that Awakening's aesthetic is as pervasive in contemporary anime as traditional Fire Emblem art is to late 80's/90's anime.

And if we're talking about architecture and not character design then I'm not sure I understand the distinction.

why do I engage

The new Ridley design would be perfectly fine if it wasn't for that beak. It really just looks silly, and looks flappy and weak, so it doesn't even match the rest of his body.

I think it's been requested at least a few times, but for future reference, here are the songs that are played in the direct:
(sorry mobile users)

0:08: Battlefield
0:35: Main Menu
1:12: Multi-Man Smash
1:41: Running/Countdown
2:24: Battlefield (Brawl)
2:44: Boss Fight 1
2:58: Great Temple (Brawl)
3:11: Battlefield (again)
3:29: Crystal Field and Mystery Paradise (New)
4:05: Gear Getaway
4:44: Green Greens Ver. 2
5:07: Credits
5:31: Obstacle Course (Brawl)
6:14: Mii Channel
6:41: Boss Fight 1 (again)
7:08: Area 6/Missile Slipstream
7:20: Gaur Plain
7:30: One Who Gets in Our Way
7:46: Vs. Ridley
8:08: Vs. Ridley (Brawl)
8:40: Menu 2 (Melee)
9:05: Menu (Super Smash Bros Melee) (Brawl)
9:26: Multi-Man Melee 2 (Melee)
9:47: Results Screen
10:10: Sky Station Galaxy
10:32: Menu 1 (Melee)
10:48: Home-Run Contest
11:02: Ballad of the Goddess/Ghirahim's Theme
11:09: Main Theme/Underworld Theme
11:13: Saria's Song/Middle Boss Battle (New)
Note: In the JP Direct, Gerudo Valley plays here instead
11:17: Underwater Theme (Brawl, presumably, but the first section is indistinguishable from the original)
11:35: Victory is Near
11:56: Credits (Super Smash Bros 64) (Brawl)
12:24: Classic: Map
12:42: (New Classic Mode Theme)
13:24: Ending (Brawl)
13:42: How to Play (Melee)
14:20: Boss Battle (Brawl)
14:53: Dark Pit's Theme
15:25: (New Smash Tour Theme)
17:02: Target Blast
17:33: How to Play (Melee)
18:20: (New Special Orders Theme)
19:27: Master Core
20:00: (New Master Fortress Theme)
20:14: Paper Mario Medley
20:53: Final Destination (Melee)
21:17: Menu 1 (Melee) (again)
21:44: Nintendo Land Main Theme (New)
22:09: Trophy Shop
22:33: In the Space-Pirate Ship
22:51: Minigame (New)
23:09: Replay/Album/Records
23:32: Trophy Rush
24:09: SAMUS IS UNDER FIRE (Brawl)
25:06: Yoshi's Woolly World
26:10: WarioWare, Inc.
26:27: The City (New)
26:47: (Some new main theme arrangement?)
27:06: (Another new main theme arrangement)
27:28: (New composition?)
27:45: Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day
28:04: Stone Carving City
28:34: Forest of Hope
29:19: Rhythm Boxing
30:09: Overworld Theme
30:28: Pandemonium
31:11: (Sounds like an ending theme?)
31:34: Airship Theme (Brawl)
32:20: Airship Theme (New?) (doesn't match up with the one that plays on Paper Mario so...)
32:47: Attack of the Airships
33:08: Bowser Jr.'s Fort
33:32: Practice Stage
33:37: Super Mario 3D Land Theme/Beach Theme
34:06: Engage the Enemy (New, possibly part of Xenoblade Medley)
34:41: Battle! Trainer

Okay, I don't think I missed anything. If you have any corrections, let me know.

georly

Check out the new complete bracket:

http://challonge.com/SuperBashSisters

I hope everyone who joined up is happy with who they'll be going against. :3

Aww I used to be matched up against horizon.

I'm going to have to find a good wifi hotspot because I lag really bad from home wifi :/

I'll try mcdonalds/starbucks this weekend and see how it is.

What software do you use for making gifs? I want to start adding text to mine, but I have no clue how to do it.

Aww I used to be matched up against horizon.

I'm going to have to find a good wifi hotspot because I lag really bad from home wifi :/

I'll try mcdonalds/starbucks this weekend and see how it is.

I had to change it up, because some people have dropped and new players got added in.

Georly pls!

RagnarokX

What software do you use for making gifs? I want to start adding text to mine, but I have no clue how to do it.

GIMP. I add the text frame by frame manually. Add a text layer above the first frame layer I want it on. Duplicate text layer and move it above the next frame. Repeat duplicating and moving text layers until I reach the last frame I want that text on.

I capture video footage with gifcam since it's faster than converting a video to frames.

Neiteio

On the topic of hazards in Kalos Pokémon League:

We know Malva's Fire-type chamber has fire spouts under the platforms and on both sides of the stage that will sear anyone who touches them. We know Drasna's Dragon-type chamber has an appearance by Rayquaza. We know Siebold's Water-type chamber has a current rushing through it, complete with slides. But what about Wikstrom's Steel-type chamber?

Well, see how part of the blade is exposed on each sword? I bet each blade will damage the fighters and knock them back when touched. The hilts and handles are safe to use as platforms, but if you touch the blades from the outside, they'll probably deal damage and knockback, like the thorns in Rumble Falls. And I imagine there could be a nasty pinball effect in the middle, bouncing back and forth between the two blades.

ssb-wiiu-stage-kalospwwoip.png

For sake of being complete, here are the other three rooms (Siebold's water chamber, Drasna's dragon chamber, and Malva's fire chamber):

z9BpG0o.jpg

kyVAxo5.jpg

PCi0XJq.jpg

And the neutral room, or lobby:

ssb-wiiu-shot-kalospoyypul.jpg

And the Pokémon who appear in Drasna's chamber when Rayquaza isn't out in full force:

screen-8.jpg

So the Pokémon who appear would be:

Malva: Infernape, Tepig, Blaziken, Pyroar (male)
Wikstrom: Klinklang, Steelix (YES!!), Scizor, Honedge
Drasna: Garchomp, Hydreigon, Axew, Dragonite, Rayquaza
Siebold: Clawitzer, Wailord, Piplup, Blastoise

This should be the definitive Kalos Pokémon League post so far, LOL

georly

GIMP. I add the text frame by frame manually. Add a text layer above the first frame layer I want it on. Duplicate text layer and move it above the next frame. Repeat duplicating and moving text layers until I reach the last frame I want that text on.

I capture video footage with gifcam since it's faster than converting a video to frames.

Yeah I use gifcam, too.

I tried using gimp but I got a confused. :( I'll try to watch some youtube vids to learn. Thanks! Good to know I was on the right path.

Azuran

Banned
I'm surprised that some of you weren't expecting hazards on the Kalos Pokemon League stage. You guys should have seen it coming considering flames shoot out of the ground and the place gets flooded before battling Malva and Siebold respectively in XY.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Put me in the minority but the Kalos League looks AWESOME to me, visually at the very least.

I also loved Pokemon Stadium 2 in Brawl.

Visually, I think those levels nail a part that many Smash stages lack---"liveliness". That's my issue with Delfino Plaza, it just looks dead. I don't need lots of stage hazards, but I like when stages have a lot of things going on in the background, especially character cameos. The Wuhu Island Stage looks nice in this regard as well.

mrhej

I'm surprised there isn't a Smash TV like what Mario Kart TV did. Edit your matches to a minute and slow down anything and upload it to youtube. Well at least you can share your stages, clips and pictures online.

Exile20

I'm surprised there isn't a Smash TV like what Mario Kart TV did. Edit your matches to a minute and slow down anything and upload it to youtube. Well at least you can share your stages, clips and pictures online.
But there is a replay section in the game. You can share them.

Azuran

Banned
Put me in the minority but the Kalos League looks AWESOME to me, visually at the very least.

I also loved Pokemon Stadium 2 in Brawl.

Visually, I think those levels nail a part that many Smash stages lack---"liveliness". That's my issue with Delfino Plaza, it just looks dead. I don't need lots of stage hazards, but I like when stages have a lot of things going on in the background, especially character cameos. The Wuhu Island Stage looks nice in this regard as well.

All that stage needs are some Pianta and Noki standing on the back as spectators. I actually can't believe they're missing considering it's a main city in SMS.

Only if Dimentio makes a cameo in the SPM section of the stage.

Young Link is the protagonist of the best Zelda and he has the best taunt, therefore he > Toon Link.

Toon Link loves taking selfies. I'm sorry, but he wins by a landslide just because of that.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I want to see more footage of Mario Galaxy as I hope they have various Galaxies flying by in the background.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom