• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah probably not.
Have any of the major 1st party Wii U games been 720/30 yet? What was Pikmin?

The direct.
...right? They were talking about native resolution I thought.
Pikmin 3 was 30fps/720p. Although that started as a Wii game and, while still pretty, doesn't really show off much outside of lighting/shaders.

I don't get this at all. So Nintendo successfully reinvigorates fan interest/support in a long standing character (with a now re-emphasized position in the franchise's lore) with a memorable role or appearance and they shouldn't be considered because Nintendo only did it recently?
You could say the same for bowser Jr in his clown car. His original appearance didn't have him in one, it's only recently that he got in one.

I think you both misunderstand what I meant.

I was just curious if the sudden wave of Impa support only existed because of her appearance in Skyward Sword.
Suddenly people are talking about how important she is to the series, and how many games she's been in, but then they always point back to Skyward Sword's design of her.
I'm not saying it's wrong of Nintendo to add her new design because it's new or because it's not what it originally was, I was just asking.

Seriously though - would people care about Impa if she wasn't in Skyward Sword? I meant this as a genuine question.

zroid

Banned
The direct.
...right? They were talking about native resolution I thought.

Right, there was that. I didn't remember the numbers. :p

Even if it said 1080p though I'm honestly still kinda skeptical. All Wii U games output in 1080p, and pretty sure it wouldn't be the first time Nintendo's marketed a game which renders at 720p that way.

I was just curious if the sudden wave of Impa support only existed because of her appearance in Skyward Sword.
Suddenly people are talking about how important she is to the series, and how many games she's been in, but then they always point back to Skyward Sword's design of her.
I'm not saying it's wrong of Nintendo to add her new design because it's new or because it's not what it originally was, I was just asking.

Seriously though - would people care about Impa if she wasn't in Skyward Sword? I meant this as a genuine question.

people would probably be less strong about her but they would still do it for the Ocarina of Time appearance. If you exclude that too though, no one would support her because she's an old woman the rest of the time. The Skyward Sword appearance is just so good

georly

The reason her being in skyward sword brought about renewed interest was because how great her design was. Her design makes it possible for her to be a sheik clone/alt, which hasn't been possible since her (ugly) Ocarina of Time model. If it weren't for skyward sword's model, no, I wouldn't want her in smash.

If she were ONLY in skyward sword, I wouldn't want her in smash.

It's the combination of the two. Impa is a long running character AND her Skyward sword model makes her a good fit for smash to replace or be a clone/alt of sheik, who has only been in ONE zelda game, but 3 smash bros games.

I'm more of a diehard Zelda fan than I am smash, so Zelda representation in smash is more important to me than 'smash tradition.' It's why I don't mind sheik being replaced and why I want Ganondorf to receive a complete overhaul and lose his entire moveset. I don't care that his moveset would be cut. Characters get cut all the time. Consider it a cut and then ganondorf is replaced with a newcomer, a 'true' ganondorf.

Jawmuncher

Villager is the new Snake.

Tree4

vbQkvol.jpg

Its just not the same.
If I have to get a snake replacement I need a 100% clone.

people would probably be less strong about her but they would still do it for the Ocarina of Time appearance. If you exclude that too though, no one would support her because she's an old woman the rest of the time. The Skyward Sword appearance is just so good
Would they really care about a decade old appearance though?

I think people exaggerate Impa's importance to the series. I'm not saying this as a counter argument or anything, I just think people forget that only two of her appearances look like this:
and the rest look like this:
She's had seven appearances, while Tingle has had five in the core Zelda series and four in his own games. If people want to talk numbers, I think the character with his own sub-series is the way to go.
The reason her being in skyward sword brought about renewed interest was because how great her design was. Her design makes it possible for her to be a sheik clone/alt, which hasn't been possible since her (ugly) Ocarina of Time model. If it weren't for skyward sword's model, no, I wouldn't want her in smash.

It's the combination of the two. Impa is a long running character AND her Skyward sword model makes her a good fit for smash to replace or be a clone/alt of sheik, who has only been in ONE zelda game, but 3 smash bros games.

Personally, I would prefer Impa over Sheik, but Sheik's staying because of veteran status.

For the record, I don't dislike Impa. I like her Skyward Sword design, I liked her character, I just don't think there's any need for her in the game when we already have Sheik. Three semi-clones would be too much for one of the biggest series in gaming.

Roo

Right, there was that. I didn't remember the numbers. :p

Even if it said 1080p though I'm honestly still kinda skeptical. All Wii U games output in 1080p, and pretty sure it wouldn't be the first time Nintendo's marketed a game which renders at 720p that way.

You have screenshots, videos, official confirmation and press vouching for the game's 1080p resolution.

What else do you need?

I still think mewtwo is the only character DLC we're going to get. This based on nothing but the 2013 roundtable and someone asking if mewtwo was going to be in smash and (from the audience) sakurai responds 'we're thinking about it!'

He had to have known the roster by then, so I like to imagine that he was like 'oh crap people want mewtwo, gotta make him dlc'

I know I make no sense, but i'm not getting my hopes up for more dlc.
i still like the chances of Dixie Kong and Chorus Men, but beyond those three I don't think there will be any more. Could easily see a spring pack with those three characters, Miiverse and a couple new stages, online tournament mode and a general patch for miscellaneous improvements.

Would they really care about a decade old appearance though?

I think people exaggerate Impa's importance to the series. I'm not saying this as a counter argument or anything, I just think people forget that only two of her appearances look like this:

and the rest look like this:

She's had seven appearances, while Tingle has had five in the core Zelda series and four in his own games. If people want to talk numbers, I think the character with his own sub-series is the way to go.

Personally, I would prefer Impa over Sheik, but Sheik's staying because of veteran status.

For the record, I don't dislike Impa. I like her Skyward Sword design, I liked her character, I just don't think there's any need for her in the game when we already have Sheik. Three semi-clones would be too much for one of the biggest series in gaming.

I want old woman Impa. How shweet would that be.

The problem with Fire Emblem and anime characters is that they're all perfect and handsome and wonderful. Link is getting that way. His Ocarina of Time or Skyward Sword appearances would be better. I don't get his new fancy boy look.

Let's get some decrepit in here! I'll even take fat impa at this point.
Just no Hyrule Warriors Impa please.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

The problem with Fire Emblem and anime characters is that they're all perfect and handsome and wonderful. Link is getting that way. His Ocarina of Time or Skyward Sword appearances would be better. I don't get his new fancy boy look.

Link was almost always designed to be pretty, hell he's based off elves, and since atleast ocarina of time his designs were made to appeal to(mostly japanese) female demographic.

Jawmuncher

Yeah who would even want this character.
So horrible
/s

Link was almost always designed to be pretty, hell he's based off elves, and since atleast ocarina of time his designs were made to appeal to(mostly japanese) female demographic.

I agree he's a bit of a pretty boy, but you can't dispute he has more of a generic, and in my opinion, unappealing cliche anime face more than ever.

Give me features. Where's that long nose he used to have?

This is him in his most recent actual console Zelda game:

tumblr_inline_mg4cvrtMLB1r81par.gif

He has quite a bit more style and character here for sure.. or at least it's not as cliche of an 'anime face'.

edit:

Yeah who would even want this character.
So horrible

Okay, she's not that bad is she. But still, she's gone in the direction of, "everyone is a perfectly fit hero/heroine and has a sexy bod."
I'll call it the Nomura effect.

There's nothing wrong with fa timpa, or old impa.. or manly impa.

I actually like that Hyrule Warriors design, but what I'm arguing for here are characters that have more flair and personality, and I'm also against the generalization of cool or odd characters into a summation of a perfect looking infallible character.

Golnei

Viridi is a Goddess on par with Palutena, and Uprising does enough to establish it. Powers (what Palutena's moveset is already based on) in KIU are fluffed as Palutena's intervention, and Viridi can use Powers as well. She's got a legion of angry trees, rocks, and vegetables under her command (that she's directly stated to be creating herself), and total dominion over nature in general. Her final smash being the Reset Bomb speaks for itself. I don't think they'll be scratching their heads over moves to give her.

Even if none of this were the case, it's not like Zelda or Sheik's representation had much in common with what they actually did or showed off in their games. OoT Zelda wasn't exactly blasting Ganon with Din's Fire. And pretty much everything about Sheik's moveset is straight up made up. :lol

Viridi should be in, 'cause Viridi rocks.

Ideally, I'd have Viridi as a direct clone of Palutena in the style of Young Link, and Medusa, Hades, Phosphora, Pandora or a Magnus & Gaol team as a unique newcomer. Seeing as the divine powers that make up Palutena's moveset are used equally by Viridi, it'd probably make just as much sense as Lucina while removing Dark Pit from the roster.

Though I'm not entirely sure you can say that when this game features the most hideous incarnation of Link in the series' history, barring the Elegy of Emptiness statue.

NooM

Banned
I need some Wii U friends to get ready for some heavy Smash action.. Is there a Nintendo ID sharing thread like PSN/Xbox Live?

I have Mario Kart 8, Nintendo Land and will be getting Smash Bros Wii U of course and the Super Mario games.

My NIN ID is LunaticoX (same for PSN and Xbox Live).

zroid

Banned
You have screenshots, videos, official confirmation and press vouching for the game's 1080p resolution.

What else do you need?

I've never thought the image quality looks 1080p. I'll be convinced when digital foundry or someone analyzes it.

edit: to be clear, I don't really care, I just don't want to declare it 1080p without being 100% certain

I'm more of a diehard Zelda fan than I am smash, so Zelda representation in smash is more important to me than 'smash tradition.' It's why I don't mind sheik being replaced and why I want Ganondorf to receive a complete overhaul and lose his entire moveset. I don't care that his moveset would be cut. Characters get cut all the time. Consider it a cut and then ganondorf is replaced with a newcomer, a 'true' ganondorf.

Agree with all this, great post.

I haven't been keeping up with the roster for this game, but is Ganondorf seriously not in this game? I guess it's better than just dropping him in again with the lame move set he's always had.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Hmm.

I think it's best stance to take on DLC is don't expect anything but let the team surprise us with DLC announcements.

I think we are going to get very few dlc characters but I would be constant if it's only Mewtwo and Miiverse stage. That's how low my expectation are with dlc content.

georly

Hmm.

I think it's best stance to take on DLC is don't expect anything but let the team surprise us with DLC announcements.

I think we are going to get very few dlc characters but I would be constant if it's only Mewtwo and Miiverse stage. That's how low my expectation are with dlc content.

Yup. We know we're getting a patch 1.03. We know we're getting mewtwo. We know we're getting miiverse/tournaments/sharing in a future patch.

I'm not expecting anything else. That said... if mewtwo isn't being released until SPRING... they can't possibly have an entire dev team there to create mewtwo, right? It has to be for more than that... doesn't it?

Tan

Yup. We know we're getting a patch 1.03. We know we're getting mewtwo. We know we're getting miiverse/tournaments/sharing in a future patch.

I'm not expecting anything else. That said... if mewtwo isn't being released until SPRING... they can't possibly have an entire dev team there to create mewtwo, right? It has to be for more than that... doesn't it?

Doesn't have to be the whole team. They could have downsized it.

georly

Doesn't have to be the whole team. They could have downsized it.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply it was the WHOLE smash 4 dev team. I just mean there's going to be SOME dev team there. Surely that dev team, no matter the size, isn't ONLY working on mewtwo....

Masked Man

I said wow
I was out having Smash-themed Halloween fun yesterday, so there's a lot to catch up on, but the footage I saw looks great!

I think it's been requested at least a few times, but for future reference, here are the songs that are played in the direct:

YES thank you so much!

OMFFFFGGGG MOTHER 2 POLLYANNA SOAT SOAT SOAT SOAT MSFJNEOIGFJ()EFJFJI()EJI()FJ)IEIOEFIOEFJIOEFHJIOEG}GRGKP)_GRMKOPGRGRIOPGRGR

I heard the intro on that sound file and immediately thought of you. :3

Why can't we get the lyrics version of Pollyanna.

Seconded!

Noooooooo. :( I guess our only hope now is an EarthBound medley...

OGFkbld.png

This is still my Perfect Dream Roster. Give me this and you will never need to give me another brother to smash ever again.

Peach, Captain Toad, Ness, Lucas, Kumatora, Palutena, Little Mac, Duck Hunt Dog, and Marshal all in the same game? Yes, this is truly perfection. <3 <3 <3

So I was thinking Bayonetta would have to be bastardized beyond recognition if she was to make it in Smash 4 as a second Sega rep.

JackFrost.png

How about this guy instead? He might be more of an Atlus rep than a Sega rep but it works either way.

Tripon

I just realized that Mewtwo being free DLC for registering both copies of Smash 4 is Nintendo's way to combat used copies. Sneaky, Nintendo!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom