• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you feel about Dr. Mario?

I think Dr. Mario is a pretty dumb addition, to be honest. It's probably just Mario as a doctor, but I'm not sure if they're different people like Metal, Gold, and Tanooki Marios are.
I still prefer Dr. Mario to Dark Pit though, as he at least looks more distinct than Dark Pit does. For me, I find the way a clone looks to be more important than how they play. Toon Link looks drastically different from Link, for example. That's why I'm okay with Lucina being in, even if she is supposed to be more of a clone than Dark Pit.

Anyone else feeling like this?

tumblr_nc2m11991V1swll5zo1_500.jpg

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I really don't get this hate for characters at all.....Do I want more characters? Yes, but I am not going to hate on other characters just because they "took the spot" of someone else. The only thing I dislike is the character select screen being "inconsistent". Even though I get why they did it I still dislike it. OCD I guess.

People just want to complaining or hating, just sake of it. Dark Pit, Lucina and Dr. Mario don't really take lot of times to become playable characters from alts which would make a sense.

According Sakurai, it take same amount of time to make a full-fledged charter or 6 clone characters. This time, he only have half of that time, so 3 clones would be much better than having no new character.

Dark Pit is seriously the worst character I had heard suggestions for - he is a literal clone, so why did people want him in? I never thought Dark Pit had a chance.
However, I think it would be even worse if he was a unique character, because that would mean that actual time and effort was spent making the recolor that is Dark Pit a separate character, and the third unique Kid Icarus rep. Disgusting.

I'm glad that my suggestion got in because I like him because of his personality and characteristics in Kid Icarus Uprising, and he would be perfect clone character for Smash 4 No Pun Intended.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Mario's full name is Mario Mario.

Doctors usually go by their last name.

Therefore Doctor Mario isn't OUR Mario, he's a third Mario brother, or cousin. Dr. Shemp Mario.

I'm sort of worried about the Wii U version's content. I'd like to be assured that the Wii U version will have at least one new stage for each series, instead of just reusing older stages like the 3DS version did. And hopefully the menu design for the characters and stages will look better.

Anyone else see the Hyrule Warriors DLC? I'm not interested in the game itself, but it brings more hope to my idea of a "DLC Direct" that shows off the Hyrule Warriors and Mario Kart 8/i] DLC, along with some new DLC characters in Smash (Ice Climbers?).

Watch Da Birdie

Has there been any Hyrule Warriors DLC?

I remember them saying there'd be new characters, but all I've seen is "Challenge Mode" (what is this?) and the 8-Bit Sword.

Has there been any Hyrule Warriors DLC?

I remember them saying there'd be new characters, but all I've seen is "Challenge Mode" (what is this?) and the 8-Bit Sword.

Four sets of DLC, all together for $19.99.

Mario's full name is Mario Mario.

Doctors usually go by their last name.

Therefore Doctor Mario isn't OUR Mario, he's a third Mario brother, or cousin. Dr. Shemp Mario.

Miyamoto confirmed Mario's last name isn't Mario.

I brought up Dr. Mario potentially being some weird alternate universe Mario (like Paper Mario) because we've seem some stupid stuff in Mario lore, like all of the following being independent characters from Mario in sports and racing games.
Three of these characters started up as powerups, but would later become playable next to Mario. Even Shadow Mario plays alongside Bowser Jr. in Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour despite originally being one of Bowser Jr.'s disguises.
We can't really be sure if Doctor Mario is considered as a separate playable character or just Mario in a different costume (like Zero Suit Samus and Sheik).
Too many fucking Marios.

Jawmuncher

I brought up Dr. Mario potentially being some weird alternate universe Mario (like Paper Mario) because we've seem some stupid stuff in Mario lore, like all of the following being independent characters from Mario in sports and racing games.

Three of these characters started up as powerups, but would later become playable next to Mario. Even Shadow Mario plays alongside Bowser Jr. in Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour despite originally being one of Bowser Jr.'s disguises.
We can't really be sure if Doctor Mario is considered as a separate playable character or just Mario in a different costume (like Zero Suit Samus and Sheik).
Too many fucking Marios.

Miyamoto's just jealous he didn't think of it first.
Not giving us a actual last name is proof of that.

Nanashrew

Banned

Too many fucking Marios.

LOL. I've really made my friend popular showing off that deepest lore video from that Mario thread.

Goodstyle

Just noticed that the official Gamecube controllers are listed on Amazon, in Red Mario, White Yoshi and Pink Peach flavours.

gcnctr2.jpg

Release date 14th November, which is a Friday when games are released in the UK. Fingers crossed that could be the release date for the game too.

If they made a Wario version of one I'd buy it in a heart beat.

J-Tier

I have been contemplating this for like, ever, and I just realized the reason for Dark Pit in the game. Like Roy for Melee, he's an advertisement for the upcoming Dark Super Smash Brothers.

It'll have

Dark Pit
Dark Link
Dark Toon Link
Dark Samus
Shadow
Shadow Mario
Shadow Queen Peach
Blood Falcon
Charizard X
Pikablu

Golnei

I have been contemplating this for like, ever, and I just realized the reason for Dark Pit in the game. Like Roy for Melee, he's an advertisement for the upcoming Dark Super Smash Brothers.

It'll have

Dark Pit
Dark Link
Dark Toon Link
Dark Samus
Shadow
Shadow Mario
Shadow Queen Peach
Blood Falcon
Charizard X
Pikablu

Dark Samus and Charizard X seem too distinct. I'd advise replacing them with SA-X or a Dark Echo and Shadow Charizard.

Too many fucking Marios.

They started as power ups but became playable.. That doesn't mean they're supposed to be other dudes walking around in the same game.

They're all Mario. It's just Mario with a hat.. Mario with Metal Power.. Mario with Gold power.. People might like playing as Mario that looks like that, as sort of a bonus. They aren't individual characters.

The only thing that's close is Sunshine's Shadow Mario thing being inspiration for Galaxy's Black Hole Mario or whatever they want to call him.

Point is, they're all Mario... Like Baby Mario. Baby Mario is not something else. He is Mario as a Baby. If they can't even be bothered to explain why all these Mario's can be playable alongside each other, then you don't need to be bothered to think about it.

It's not much different than how there are a million Barbies with different outfits, but they can all be in the same doll house. No one really cares, including Nintendo in this case.

Jeeves

Man, I listen to about a dozen gaming podcasts, and seemingly none of them have hosts who are interested Smash Bros., manifesting as either ignoring the game completely, or mentioning it out of obligation and being clueless about it ("Falco is in the game." "Falco? From Star Fox? Has he been in Smash Brothers before?").

Is anyone else having this experience...? It's so bizarre to me.

Pyrokai

Guys, all this worry about "parity" between the two games makes me think the Wii U version will have a but load of missing content.

Hold me I'm scared.

Guys, all this worry about "parity" between the two games makes me think the Wii U version will have a but load of missing content.

Hold me I'm scared.

Content regarding the roster, maybe. But not everything else. That's the extent of the parity.
granted, roster is a huge deal

Unless we start thinking hypotheticals on a 3ds version never existing in the first place.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So Wolf did too. Toon Link kinda did but not that much as Wolf did.

Dark Pit to Smash 4 is exactly what Wolf is to Brawl. Star Fox getting third representative in Brawl really pissed many people off as Kid Icarus getting third representative in Smash 4 did.

I'm pretty sure Wolf hate faded much quickly than Pittoo.

Watch Da Birdie

Hold me I'm scared.

I wouldn't worry.

We've already seen the one Pokeball limit isn't in the Wii U Version based on the pic of Xerneas and Victini out.

We've already seen 15 Wii U Stages, and only one was returning.

On the other hand, before the 3DS was released, we only knew 16 new Stages, and all the classic stages were quickly shown before release without much fanfare.

I think the fact we have a healthy amount of revealed stages means the Wii U will have a pretty decent stage selection. And without Items/ATs/Characters to reveal now for the Wii U Version, presumably, we should see a lot of new Wii U stages once Sakurai begins to cover it again with the POTD.

Golnei

Don't forget that if only one version existed, the size of the development staff and overall budget would be much smaller. Aside from things like Ice Climbers, we really can't be sure of the amount of new content that would exist.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
That's because Wolf is actually a unique character (and isn't a clone in Brawl).

Don't worry, I know.

Most of the Wolf haters back then were easy to laugh at because of their poor arguments. Can't say the same for Pittoo (Pittoo actually sounds like a better name than Dark Pit).

Pyrokai

Content regarding the roster, maybe. But not everything else. That's the extent of the parity.
granted, roster is a huge deal

Unless we start thinking hypotheticals on a 3ds version never existing in the first place.

Ugh.....hypothetical no-3DS-version is all I keep thinking about! Either a game with way more content could have existed....or we really are just getting what we would have gotten without the 3DS version and the 3DS game is a nice bonus. But....we actually know that isn't true because of the Ice Climbers.....I just hope they're the ONLY exception
still no excuse...screw the 3DS version for taking them away

What's REALLY going to drive me crazy is if assist trophies, Pokemon, and regular trophies vary between versions. I want everything the 3DS has + more in regards to those. I've already conceded Ice Climbers and exclusive stages. Don't make it anything more :(

Don't worry, I know.

Most of the Wolf haters back then were easy to laugh at because of their poor arguments. Can't say the same for Pittoo (Pittoo actually sounds like a better name than Dark Pit).
BUT WHO HAD THE LAST LAUGH IN THE END, BOSS DOGGIE?

Pretty sure I played Wolf way more than the other two in Brawl but it's fun to tease you about this. I'm legit cool with Dark Pit tho.

This is what you would think/hope.

but who knows what would happen

Of course. There's always an unknown factor, but I'm basing that assumption over everything we've seen and been told.

Really though, I find that if you get so wrapped up in hypotheticals, you tend to not appreciate what's already in front of you, and that can seriously kill your interest in games altogether. Or at least I did that for a time, so I tend to shake off something as upsetting as Mewtwo or Ice Climbers getting cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom