• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dark Pit's a really fun character in Kid Icarus Uprising, kind of a "I will help you out but be a dick about it" guy, which fits really well as a foil for Pit's ceaseless optimism.

Ain't nothin' lazy about Dark Pit. He's even got his own unique victory theme. It's super cool.

Plus this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5K_JGNLndY&feature=youtu.be

Dark Pit owns
Just because he's a cool character in his source game doesn't mean he should be in Smash; he is a literal clone, unique victory theme or not.

zroid

Banned
Your avatar wins the "most likely to make MrSaturn99 punch something" award! :p

3QGXsXk.png

Jawmuncher

None of that is making its way into smash 3DS though. The complaint on dark pit is what he is within smash and not what he is in KIU.

Ivan 3414

Yeah...the question asked who is your least favorite character, not which character do you most hate.

You certainly don't have to hate Dark Pit to acknowledge that he's a very cookie-cutter, bland and lazy character. He's the odd man out and deservedly so.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Dark Pit's a really fun character in Kid Icarus Uprising, kind of a "I will help you out but be a dick about it" guy, which fits really well as a foil for Pit's ceaseless optimism.

Ain't nothin' lazy about Dark Pit. He's even got his own unique victory theme. It's super cool.

Plus this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5K_JGNLndY&feature=youtu.be

Dark Pit owns

Yeah, My theory is that Dark Pit were planned to be full-fledged character but it was last minute that he become a clone. *shrugs* I dunno. It's just a speculation from data that people found in the game.

So many hipsters will be maining Dark Pit.

Like people did with Evil Cole. :p I always want Dark Pit or Medusa to appear in Smash 4, so Dark Pit did. I still hope that he might be good for me to main but again there are few good characters out there too.

Yeah...the question asked who is your least favorite character, not which character do you most hate.

You certainly don't have to hate Dark Pit to acknowledge that he's a very cookie-cutter, bland and lazy character. He's the odd man out and deservedly so.

PNluiOS.jpg

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Come to think of it I remember Dr. Mario getting a lot of hate back in the day.

So Wolf did too. Toon Link kinda did but not that much as Wolf did.

Dark Pit to Smash 4 is exactly what Wolf is to Brawl. Star Fox getting third representative in Brawl really pissed many people off as Kid Icarus getting third representative in Smash 4 did.

Jawmuncher

Dark Pit to Smash 4 is exactly what Wolf is to Brawl. Star Fox getting third representative in Brawl really pissed many people off as Kid Icarus getting third representative in Smash 4 did.

I guess since the third rep of both series people were all expecting someone else.

Kinsei

Banned

I understand Dark Pit since he's a clone, but Wolf? Seriously?

This is a legitimate question since I wasn't a part of any video game forums back then.

jph139

Man, I'm still into Dark Pit. Guy's probably the most "deserves to be a clone" character out there and provides for great ways to differentiate himself from Pit (new voice clips, new music, new weapons) without requiring a whole other model.

I mean, of the three clones in Smash 4 he's my least favorite, but that's because Doc rocks my socks and I always thought Lucina would be cool. I like his inclusion more than some of the other newcomer choices overall.

Ryce

I don’t inherently dislike Dark Pit, but Wolf is a recurring character in the Star Fox series and has a unique moveset. I’d much rather have him than Dark Pit.

He is the ultimate villain in SSB4. Everyone hates him. Don't need to school me on Kid Icarus Uprising, I got that game Day-1 :p

Here's some other dastardly bastards:

Just look at Babby Ridley's "toys" <3

That isn't a baby Ridley! This is a baby Ridley!
Ridley_stage_1.jpg

Man, I'm still into Dark Pit. Guy's probably the most "deserves to be a clone" character out there and provides for great ways to differentiate himself from Pit (new voice clips, new music, new weapons) without requiring a whole other model.

I mean, of the three clones in Smash 4 he's my least favorite, but that's because Doc rocks my socks and I always thought Lucina would be cool. I like his inclusion more than some of the other newcomer choices overall.

... Alph?

jph139

... Alph?

Eh, I feel like Alph is a lot harder to differentiate from Olimar. They look mostly the same, neither of them talk, and the biggest split gameplay-wise would be available Pikmin types which, since Olimar has Flying Pikmin now, is limited to Rock.

I do think he's up there, though, so I'm sort of disappointed they didn't spin him off into a full clone.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I don’t inherently dislike Dark Pit, but Wolf is a recurring character in the Star Fox series and has a unique moveset. I’d much rather have him than Dark Pit.

Oh yeah, I know. I want Wolf to coming back as well. It don't really change the fact that people are still calling Wolf a clone character nowadays.

I understand Dark Pit since he's a clone, but Wolf? Seriously?

This is a legitimate question since I wasn't a part of any video game forums back then.

Yeah pretty much. But at that time, people thought Wolf was just another straight up Fox clone, though thankfully that cleared up since then. Still, many didn't like star fox getting 3 reps at the time.

Spinluck

And people complained about too few villains in SSB4 before Dark Pit's inclusion :p

Hated by over 40% of the fanbase....you could think he kicks kittens and puppies IRL.

He isn't the villain SSB4 needed, but he is the villain we all deserve for flaming about pretty much every development decision Sakurai made.

"You want a villain? Here's the laziest clone I ever made. Fuck off!"
Sakurai: laughs

Not even sure what I read on here anymore.

When Smash 5 rolls around people will be all "oh no I hope they don't cut Dark Pit, i know he's a clone but he's so fun, i don't want him to get taken out like Wolf :(", bookmark this post and quote it in 8 years

Kinsei

Banned
When Smash 5 rolls around people will be all "oh no I hope they don't cut Dark Pit, i know he's a clone but he's so fun, i don't want him to get taken out like Wolf :(", bookmark this post and quote it in 8 years

But Wolf isn't a clone. Wouldn't a comparison to Roy be more apt?

SoldnerKei

got'cha cover buddy

that makes me wonder if they will remove Lucina by then

Spinluck

No, not really, we've already lost far more unique and original characters.

Dark Pit actually represents one of the few things I loathe about this franchise.

But Wolf isn't a clone. Wouldn't a comparison to Roy be more apt?

Wolf and Lucas were clones enough to get cut from the game and have their special move variants added to Fox and Ness as options

If your argument is "but their A button attacks are different" then you need to realize that so are Dark Pit's, he has many of Pit's attacks from Brawl that were changed to something else in this game on Regular Pit

He's as cloney as Dr. Mario. Maybe less since he has his own Final Smash and the good doctor just has a reskinned Mario Finale

Lucina is the really low-effort clone in this game unfortunately, but people like Fire Emblem Awakening a lot more than Kid Icarus Uprising so she doesn't get singled out like DP does

Jawmuncher

I'm still mad we don't have anyone with even a close playstyle to snake. Why introduce a trap character than not have a replacement? I liked controlling the field with c4 and claymores.

VegiHam

I like Dark Pit. He's a parody of Dark versions. Being a lazy clone is the whole joke. I hope in the next Smash game he gets the Falco or Luigi treatment, but I know he's probably cut :(

I really don't get this hate for characters at all.....Do I want more characters? Yes, but I am not going to hate on other characters just because they "took the spot" of someone else. The only thing I dislike is the character select screen being "inconsistent". Even though I get why they did it I still dislike it. OCD I guess.

FSLink

Banned
Wolf was just hilariously underwhelming back then. At first people thought he was a 100% clone and the fact he had Landmaster as well...he got hate due to the salt. Especially since we were all hoping for something better as the last character unlocked. Luckily his A normals and taunts ended up being really cool, and I honestly would have preferred him over Falco if we could only have 1.

Wolf was just hilariously underwhelming back then. At first people thought he was a 100% clone and the fact he had Landmaster as well...he got hate due to the salt. Especially since we were all hoping for something better as the last character unlocked. Luckily his A normals and taunts ended up being really cool, and I honestly would have preferred him over Falco if we could only have 1.

Wolf was still kind of weird in the end, it was cool to have another villain but he was just too similar to Fox and Falco in terms of playstyle. I think his fighting style was more fun than Falco's but it makes sense that they would cut Wolf if they had to get rid of one of those two, going back to some of Sakurai's comments about Melee and worrying that people would see Wolf as just 'grey Fox' and thinking Falco was more visually distinct and just about as well-liked.

He made the right choice in Melee and he made the right choice now, but Falco needs some moveset love.

SoldnerKei

I'm still mad we don't have anyone with even a close playstyle to snake. Why introduce a trap character than not have a replacement? I liked controlling the field with c4 and claymores.

aside of my liking of MGS, this is one of the reasons I like Snake on smash, his playstyle is pretty cool, I guess that DHD kind of work like him? because of the can and stuff, you can control the stage quite efficiently, thou he has been compared more to a projectile zoner iirc

At least the laugh with the grass is both his intro animation and one of his victory animations, and we have a laugh taunt even if it's not the one people wanted exactly.

Kraatu

Hey guys, thought of sharing this with you! It's a icon file for the Dolphin emulator. Since I only use it to play smash I made a new Smash Bros. icon.
VhfxMH.png

It has been made from zero, so it might not be as good as the logo. But enjoy anyway!

Jawmuncher

aside of my liking of MGS, this is one of the reasons I like Snake on smash, his playstyle is pretty cool, I guess that DHD kind of work like him? because of the can and stuff, you can control the stage quite efficiently, thou he has been compared more to a projectile zoner iirc

Hmmm I had missed your post.
I hope he isn't the true successor since as you said everything I have heard as well and the bit I have seen definitely is more in line with just regular zoning types.

Dark Pit is seriously the worst character I had heard suggestions for - he is a literal clone, so why did people want him in? I never thought Dark Pit had a chance.
However, I think it would be even worse if he was a unique character, because that would mean that actual time and effort was spent making the recolor that is Dark Pit a separate character, and the third unique Kid Icarus rep. Disgusting.

Fiktion

Banned
Dark Pit is seriously the worst character I had heard suggestions for - he is a literal clone, so why did people want him in? I never thought Dark Pit had a chance.
However, I think it would be even worse if he was a unique character, because that would mean that actual time and effort was spent making the recolor that is Dark Pit a separate character, and the third unique Kid Icarus rep. Disgusting.

How do you feel about Dr. Mario?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom